PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Ford Explorer XLT AWD and PTU Experience?

WhatsUpDOHC
03-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Hello MM.net

I just bought a 2014 Explorer and I have been reading about the PTU and the changing of that oil.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this model year Explorer and the PTU and have tried any oil draining/changing methods.

Also does anyone have any experience with the installation of a PTU oil cooler?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

RubberCtyRauder
03-08-2021, 02:02 AM
https://youtu.be/Y7PJSV3SpZ8

WhatsUpDOHC
03-08-2021, 06:09 AM
https://youtu.be/Y7PJSV3SpZ8Thanks for the link, RCR. I should have noted that I've seen the videos. I wanted to see if any of the MM.net members have personal experience with the 2014 PTUs.

[emoji106]

Ford doesn't recommend changing this oil at all - Even though it cooks to a dark black. Hard to believe.

Joe Walsh
03-08-2021, 09:07 AM
My 2017 Fusion Sport has the cooled PTU and FORD does not recommend changing the oil.

BS!

They cook the fluid if you drive them hard.

I changed mine at 50k with full synthetic. (85-140W? IIRC).
Oil was dark....but not cooked.
I drained out more than FORD says the capacity is supposed to be...they claim 16 oz capacity.
I put back in exactly the amount (22oz) that I drained out and it was right up to the Fill plug level.

You need a special 'Torx Plus' T50P bit. It's got thicker points than a standard Torx T50 bit. Was like $9 at a NAPA store.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/720669444859ba2bdd822f1fac05c9 e0.jpg

BTW:
The next batch of pancakes that we made tasted like gear oil :puke:!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Spectragod
03-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Suck it dry from the port on top, refill with the amount specified in the manual. We have replaced almost a dozen of those sealed for life units, we service them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Man
03-08-2021, 11:17 AM
Dealer replaced our 2009 MKX PTU under a recall.

crouse
03-08-2021, 11:21 AM
He talks about the cooled PTU? Not sure what he means by that. I have a 2016 Explorer Sport and I'm trying to decide if I change the PTU fluid. Finding and removing the vent cap is a PITA. I tried one weekend and could not get the vent cap removed. I feared I'd remove the whole vent line if I pulled to hard.

Fastbob
03-08-2021, 03:41 PM
If it doesn't have a drain plug, most do not, remove the fill plug and suck out the fluid with a vacuum device and a small clear tube. Get as much out as possible and refill with 75w140 which is synthetic. I would do this every 30,000 miles. I am pretty sure the newer models have a drain plug. We have replaced several units in our shop at the dealership.

Spectragod
03-08-2021, 03:45 PM
The alternate method is to drain the unit from the plug on the bottom, refill is a little tricky by creating a suction on the vent and vacuuming the fluid into the ptu through the port in the bottom, then with the vacuum still attached, remove the fill hose and install the cap.

From what our service guys told me, they have better luck getting more of the old fluid out that way and have manufactured their own device to create the vacuum through the vent.

Spectragod
03-08-2021, 03:46 PM
If it doesn't have a drain plug, most do not, remove the fill plug and suck out the fluid with a vacuum device and a small clear tube. Get as much out as possible and refill with 75w140 which is synthetic. I would do this every 30,000 miles. I am pretty sure the newer models have a drain plug. We have replaced several units in our shop at the dealership.

Correct, the newer ones have a removable plug in the bottom/rear

Joe Walsh
03-08-2021, 04:19 PM
Correct, the newer ones have a removable plug in the bottom/rear

Yep, My 2017 Fusion's PTU had a Fill and a Drain plug....just like a differential has.

Had to use a long fill hose and funnel, run in through the RF wheel well (I pulled the RF wheel) to refill the PTU.

BTW: Both plugs require a Torx T50-P that I had mentioned in a previous post.

Spectragod
03-08-2021, 04:35 PM
My 2017 Fusion Sport has the cooled PTU and FORD does not recommend changing the oil.

BS!

They cook the fluid if you drive them hard.

I changed mine at 50k with full synthetic. (85-140W? IIRC).
Oil was dark....but not cooked.
I drained out more than FORD says the capacity is supposed to be...they claim 16 oz capacity.
I put back in exactly the amount (22oz) that I drained out and it was right up to the Fill plug level.

You need a special 'Torx Plus' T50P bit. It's got thicker points than a standard Torx T50 bit. Was like $9 at a NAPA store.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/720669444859ba2bdd822f1fac05c9 e0.jpg

BTW:
The next batch of pancakes that we made tasted like gear oil :puke:!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Napa? To heck with lower prices, snap-on comes to me, I love sending his kid through college.......

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/4deb43fd2c310148105eeb7db7b77c 1d.jpg

Joe Walsh
03-08-2021, 04:37 PM
He talks about the cooled PTU? Not sure what he means by that. I have a 2016 Explorer Sport and I'm trying to decide if I change the PTU fluid. Finding and removing the vent cap is a PITA. I tried one weekend and could not get the vent cap removed. I feared I'd remove the whole vent line if I pulled to hard.

My Fusion Sport and my brother's Edge ST have coolant lines that run from the PTU up to the radiator....guessing that high HP AWD can cook the PTU if it wasn't cooled.

From the Ford Fusion Sport Forum:

https://www.fusionsportforums.com/threads/ptu-oil-change.12305/#post-202561

WhatsUpDOHC
03-09-2021, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm going to get under the thing this weekend to see what's what.

Mark

Joe Walsh
03-09-2021, 07:44 PM
Napa? To heck with lower prices, snap-on comes to me, I love sending his kid through college.......

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/4deb43fd2c310148105eeb7db7b77c 1d.jpg

I see that you are missing a socket right there!

:D

Spectragod
03-10-2021, 05:12 AM
I see that you are missing a socket right there!

:D

Just all the 10mm sockets...... [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blown3.8
03-10-2021, 07:46 AM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention :rolleyes: Something else for me to do now.

WhatsUpDOHC
03-10-2021, 06:48 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention :rolleyes: Something else for me to do now.Let us/me know what you find in there, Chris. [emoji106]

crouse
03-26-2021, 04:31 PM
I changed he fluid on my 2016 Explorer Sport today. When I tried to remove the vent cap, I pulled the vent hose off of the top of the transfer case. I was able to just put a new 5/16" hose the entire length now. I drained about 11 ounces and refilled with about 12 ounces. From what I've read, most drain about 15 ounces. I had the front of my Explorer up on ramps. Not sure if mine was low on fluid or if the incline was the reason for the less fluid drained? The fluid was dark and the magnet had some small metal filings. Comments/suggestions?

WhatsUpDOHC
03-26-2021, 05:09 PM
I changed he fluid on my 2016 Explorer Sport today. When I tried to remove the vent cap, I pulled the vent hose off of the top of the transfer case. I was able to just put a new 5/16" hose the entire length now. I drained about 11 ounces and refilled with about 12 ounces. From what I've read, most drain about 15 ounces. I had the front of my Explorer up on ramps. Not sure if mine was low on fluid or if the incline was the reason for the less fluid drained? The fluid was dark and the magnet had some small metal filings. Comments/suggestions?Hats off to you! I knew that I'd never get to it. Paid the dealer to change the oil.

crouse
03-26-2021, 08:22 PM
It took a long long long time for the new lube to make it's way into the transfer case. It was like watching the hour hand on a clock. So I decided to start the engine to warm everything up and drive forward and backward in and out of my garage and that seemed to help. I'm just concerned that I didn't get the normal amount of lube drained out. I put back a little more than I drained out.

Blown3.8
03-29-2021, 01:42 PM
It took a long long long time for the new lube to make it's way into the transfer case. It was like watching the hour hand on a clock. So I decided to start the engine to warm everything up and drive forward and backward in and out of my garage and that seemed to help. I'm just concerned that I didn't get the normal amount of lube drained out. I put back a little more than I drained out.
Was there a drain plug on yours? Cause mine is a 16 sport too and a drain plug would be nice.

crouse
03-30-2021, 10:03 AM
Yes, there is a drain plug. I think it was 1/8" NPT. Very difficult to get to. I had to use a short handle Allen wrench. I ended up adding a few more ounces for good measure. Not sure what the ramifications of over filling it are.