PDA

View Full Version : Re: Advice Requested / Front Coils & Stance

Ambitious1
05-06-2021, 08:17 PM
I am asking for any advice from those who changed out their front coils to Eaton. I have had to recently replace the front springs and shocks in my MM. The OEM ones are obsolete. The dealer replaced the old ones for a set of aftermarket Monroe Coilovers that sit at the same height as the OEM Grand Marquis coils, which are too tall. I had no knowledge of the difference in height until afterwards. I have read on this site about Eibach, which are no longer in production. I am hesitant about cutting a coil as I am a bit too old to do any more custom mods. For those who switched out their front coils to Eaton, did you do "stock height" or a "1 inch drop" or "1.5 inch drop" to achieve the original OEM stance? If I go the Eaton route, should I also change the shock to KYB as the reps at Eaton advise? I am looking to change the current stance in Picture 1 to what I believe was the correct original OEM stance in Picture 2. Thank you in advance.

Peace2Peep
05-06-2021, 08:24 PM
Heyyy...is there a Kaladi brothers coffee in NY? Ive only seen them in Anchorage and Denver!

Oh, and on the suspension front, I wish I knew..since my factories were in my mechanics garage on the junk pile...BUT, you can always do the ADTR route with new coilovers, or I know some pals will chip in! Alos, check out our many Marauder mechanics, I bet they have springs around: Mo's in Dallas, GA and Curless Automotive in Grand Rapids, MI.

RubberCtyRauder
05-07-2021, 12:52 AM
Heard many of unhappy people with Eaton springs. They don't drop the height and Eaton won't back it up. I got some Eaton leaf springs once and they sucked. Took them out and scrap yard. Cut a coil..or check CSS in like Kansas. Custom Spring Specialties or something

justbob
05-07-2021, 03:38 AM
I agree with the above regarding the stories on Eaton. I’ve also read my fair share of Eibach you mentioned riding terrible.

Cutting the springs one coil and adding Monroe severe duty shocks was my very first mod I believe. It had immediate results in the looks department, night and day difference in cornering, but suffered a tad in ride quality. Flash forward 10+ years and the looks are absolutely killer, cornering is even better unless you encounter bumps, and the ride is absolutely GARBAGE.

I truly believe our only real choice is the previously mentioned coilovers. Anything else will either sit too high, suffer ride quality, or both. I’ve been against throwing more money at this old taxi cab but I think I’ll be reassessing that thought shortly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GoldPanther
05-07-2021, 04:22 AM
What I think is that they gave you the coil over that will fit the police interceptor, AFAIK the interceptor is the only one panther that seats about 1" taller from the rest of the panthers (or maybe the fleet too). If you buy aftermarket is almost warrantied that the car will seat taller because they just want to make one product to fit all.
I can be wrong but I think the grand marquis seats the same height as the marauder, the wheels make the difference. Motorcraft still makes coilovers for grand marquis and crown vics, If I was to change them I would get those instead of aftermarket, how tall they sit and how soft/stiff they are?, who knows.

motorcraft coilovers part number, ASTL37

blazen71
05-07-2021, 05:24 AM
Save up and get the ADTR Ridetech kit. It's pricey but you get adjustability, ride comfort and most importantly, a million mile warranty.

Ambitious1
05-07-2021, 07:11 AM
Save up and get the ADTR Ridetech kit. It's pricey but you get adjustability, ride comfort and most importantly, a million mile warranty.

For those who did the ADTR Ridetech kit, was it plug-n-play? Any modifications needed for installation? Was it a one-time installation and adjustment? Are there any continuous adjustments needed three months or six months or later after installation?

Peace2Peep
05-07-2021, 07:35 AM
For those who did the ADTR Ridetech kit, was it plug-n-play? Any modifications needed for installation? Was it a one-time installation and adjustment? Are there any continuous adjustments needed three months or six months or later after installation?

Although we can tell you there are no mods needed and YES you can set them up, get an alignment and ride...the ADTR website has installation guides, instructional videos, and the owner answers his phone. I'm only saying this because there's always someone with bad information (Not us of course...Ha!) but this time you can hear this from the source!

blazen71
05-07-2021, 10:08 AM
I just got them this season, so unfortunately I cannot answer the above questions on readjustment, but that is a good question! ADTR does sell a version of the kit that is slightly taller so you can retain factory ride height if that interests anyone.

Ambitious1
05-07-2021, 12:29 PM
I just got them this season, so unfortunately I cannot answer the above questions on readjustment, but that is a good question! ADTR does sell a version of the kit that is slightly taller so you can retain factory ride height if that interests anyone.

You just got the ADTR Ridetech? Would you have any current pictures of how the high or low the front wheels look?

blazen71
05-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Not yet. Are you referring to the max and min height of the stock height kit?

RubberCtyRauder
05-07-2021, 12:50 PM
In my Opinion, if you run your car in winter, salt..I would not do Ridetech. Aluminum framed shock and no boot..aluminum and salt corrode.

RubberCtyRauder
05-07-2021, 12:54 PM
Mine have been on since fall of 2017, not daily driver not winter and haven't touched them. They are firm, but I got 700 lb springs since blower. They come with 650 lb springs but can be changed to whatever you want with order, no charge to swap.. 500-800 lb I think they offer

burt ragio
05-07-2021, 02:56 PM

Do you know is it a taller spring for stock ride height ? Do they also offer different spring rates for stock ride height ? Why wouldn't ride height just be adjusted at the collar to avoid a second kit ?

Ambitious1
05-07-2021, 04:21 PM
Not yet. Are you referring to the max and min height of the stock height kit?

I am just curious to see what the height looks like with the ADTR Ridetech once it is installed and settled. I miss the original OEM stance and I am curious as to what the final result will look like before I invest the money for Ridetech.

Ambitious1
05-07-2021, 04:23 PM
In my Opinion, if you run your car in winter, salt..I would not do Ridetech. Aluminum framed shock and no boot..aluminum and salt corrode.

Would you have any alternatives in mind in terms of getting the OEM stance back? It is my daily, but I do take good care of her.

blazen71
05-07-2021, 06:28 PM
The rod ends that screw onto the piston shaft are longer. Everything else is the same as the "lower" kit. I'll get some pics up in a week or two. The reason for the second kit is because the max height for the "lower" kit is lower than stock.

blazen71
05-10-2021, 11:08 AM
I took pics but its hard to tell any difference. Stock front fender height was 27-3/4" (which I believe is pretty low for a stock Marauder). Lowest setting on my Ridetechs is 27-1/4". Highest is 28-3/4". If I would have had the standard kit, the high and low would have been 1" less. So in actuality I could have put the standard kit on and put them on the high side and still retained stock ride height, but the springs would have had a lot of preload and the ride may have been too stiff for me. I currently have my kit on the lowest setting with almost no pre load, and it rides fantastic. Worth every penny.

8UWITH6
05-11-2021, 06:07 AM
I have cut 1 coil out of the front of every Marauder I have. I wouldn't do it any other way to be honest.