PDA

View Full Version : Any NASA fans out there?

justbob
05-10-2021, 04:59 PM
Having slept in the family car all night to wake up and watch the first shuttle (Columbia) take live off in ‘81 and touring Kennedy Space Center multiple times over the years you could say I am!

Anyways, if you are into this type of stuff I highly recommend watching “For All Mankind” on Apple+.

This is not a repeat of history that we’ve all seen a hundred times. In fact it is an alternate history with an alternate timeline. Most of what we know takes place but not all.. Like the soviets being the first on the moon. Or how about weaponizing our newest nuclear powered shuttle AND the Soviet’s Buran?

The story line is mostly Apollo and smoothly transitions into shuttle (my fav) and is approximately from ‘62 to ‘83 with the last minute or so of season 2 taking us to ‘95 for a peak of Mars. It’s pretty much centered around the Moon and Cold War and could’ve easily became our real history if any number of things would have gone differently. Great story line, very believable characters, and what had to of cost multi millions in set design. You truly feel like you’re back in time.

Besides the astronaut’s obvious Vettes and a couple of others, I really appreciated all the average old cars they picked that looked showroom new as well. They chose common everyday cars to fill the streets like a Chevy Citation of all things LOL! I mean hey they were all over the place back then right? Just happy to see it wasn’t all muscle cars and they kept it real.

Anyways, here’s probably my favorite scene of one of the main characters returning to the moon after 10 years. Returning to Jamestown, an all out base now instead of the one room base he freaked out in a decade ago and catching a ride in now modern day tech Columbia.

Crank the base @ 1:32! [emoji16]

https://youtu.be/Uwr_NpsgDOQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Granddaddy Marq
05-11-2021, 01:19 PM
I was born in Huntsville Al. and live in the area all my life. My parents moved here for the space program in 1964. This place is all about space and NASA.

Marauderjack
05-11-2021, 01:51 PM
FYI......FWIW!!:cool:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/tr8JV9nApqwE/

sailsmen
05-12-2021, 08:18 PM
Being a Naval Academy Grad my Father was friends with several Apollo Astronauts.

Jim Lovell was at my Father's house for dinner and I asked him what was his most memorable moment on the trip to the5162551626 Moon. He replied - "Imagine being on the Moon and holding up your thumb and realizing your thumb covers up everything and person you have ever known and most importantly that is where you have to go to go back home!". See attached photo.

Separate from my Father a client had an Observatory in Schriever. I met Charles Duke at the airport to give him a ride and we had dinner.

When I purchased his photo that supports his ministry he asked me who to address it to and I replied - "To the Future". He looked puzzled and I added "It's the most important place we can go to". See his response on the attached photo.

WhatsUpDOHC
05-13-2021, 03:48 PM
Having slept in the family car all night to wake up and watch the first shuttle (Columbia) take live off in ‘81 and touring Kennedy Space Center multiple times over the years you could say I am!

Anyways, if you are into this type of stuff I highly recommend watching “For All Mankind” on Apple+.

This is not a repeat of history that we’ve all seen a hundred times. In fact it is an alternate history with an alternate timeline. Most of what we know takes place but not all.. Like the soviets being the first on the moon. Or how about weaponizing our newest nuclear powered shuttle AND the Soviet’s Buran?

The story line is mostly Apollo and smoothly transitions into shuttle (my fav) and is approximately from ‘62 to ‘83 with the last minute or so of season 2 taking us to ‘95 for a peak of Mars. It’s pretty much centered around the Moon and Cold War and could’ve easily became our real history if any number of things would have gone differently. Great story line, very believable characters, and what had to of cost multi millions in set design. You truly feel like you’re back in time.

Besides the astronaut’s obvious Vettes and a couple of others, I really appreciated all the average old cars they picked that looked showroom new as well. They chose common everyday cars to fill the streets like a Chevy Citation of all things LOL! I mean hey they were all over the place back then right? Just happy to see it wasn’t all muscle cars and they kept it real.

Anyways, here’s probably my favorite scene of one of the main characters returning to the moon after 10 years. Returning to Jamestown, an all out base now instead of the one room base he freaked out in a decade ago and catching a ride in now modern day tech Columbia.

Crank the base @ 1:32! [emoji16]

https://youtu.be/Uwr_NpsgDOQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Being a Naval Academy Grad my Father was friends with several Apollo Astronauts.

Jim Lovell was at my Father's house for dinner and I asked him what was his most memorable moment on the trip to the5162551626 Moon. He replied - "Imagine being on the Moon and holding up your thumb and realizing your thumb covers up everything and person you have ever known and most importantly that is where you have to go to go back home!". See attached photo.

Separate from my Father a client had an Observatory in Schriever. I met Charles Duke at the airport to give him a ride and we had dinner.

When I purchased his photo that supports his ministry he asked me who to address it to and I replied - "To the Future". He looked puzzled and I added "It's the most important place we can go to". See his response on the attached photo.Now, THAT'S cool. [emoji106]

MyBlackBeasts
05-13-2021, 08:04 PM
Around 1970 I visited my grandparents in Melbourne FL and was able to watch an Apollo launch and later visited the space center (before it became an amusement park). Very cool!

My cousin lives in Cocoa and when visiting I go to the space center - wow, what a difference 50 years makes! Super cool.

Ms. Denmark
05-17-2021, 03:52 AM
Hey Bob! It's not always easy finding something Mr. Man & I enjoy watching together (unless it's You Tube car review videos -love those). He's Mr. rom-com and I'm Ms. horror/slasher/serial killer. This series sounded promising, with the old school cars, vintage 70's everything and the Just Bob seal of approval so we gave it a try last night.:coolman:

Peace2Peep
05-17-2021, 09:07 AM
Great series! It's infinitely creative in their approach to the deeds/misdeeds of history. Truly a great watch! I live up the coast from the Cape and uncle is an employee of the site, so I get to witness launches repeatedly...and they NEVER get old!