PDA

View Full Version : Weight Removal

crouse
07-14-2021, 03:26 PM
I run several Auto Cross events each year and I have one on Sunday. Five newer Mustangs in my class.

I remove things like floor mats, spare tire & jack, CD changer in the trunk, empty the glove box and center console. I even empty the washer fluid tank and remove my garage door opener.

I'm thinking about removing the under hood liner. Anyone have an idea how much it weighs?

Also, if I remove the plastic cover over the radiator, will that change the cooling flow through the radiator?

I have to run about 5/8 tank of gas otherwise I get some hesitation around tight corners and slaloms.

I thought about removing the radio and wiper arms & blades, but those are a pain to put back.

Anything else I can do to save weight?

BackNBlack
07-14-2021, 04:14 PM
Headliner weighs virtually nothing.

Remove Passenger and Rear Seat, instead.

BAD MERC
07-14-2021, 05:28 PM
You can remove the maplight bulbs, valve stem caps, wheel center caps, and cornering lamp bulbs.

MyBlackBeasts
07-14-2021, 05:52 PM
Pull the seats. easy and they actually weigh something. Seats, spare and all loose stuff/junk is about all that's worth pulling

Mr. Man
07-14-2021, 07:00 PM
Your never going to make up the 500+lbs the Marauder has on a Mustang. Pull the doo-dads that flop around and have a good time.

sailsmen
07-14-2021, 07:21 PM
Stop drinking alcoholic drinks and your metabolism will speed up. Dulcolax the day before.

justbob
07-14-2021, 07:46 PM
Anything that would cause this kind of compulsive effort should be eliminated from your life. Immediately.

Seriously, more mods.. You’ll pick up way better time, zero effort, and easily blow past others while enjoying an over weight burrito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the fat bastid
07-15-2021, 12:52 PM
Get a class glass hood. that makes the hood lighter and removes the under hood liner as well! haha

Joe Walsh
07-15-2021, 03:02 PM
Stop drinking alcoholic drinks and your metabolism will speed up.

Dulcolax the day before.

+1!
LOL

You DO know that you own a body-on-frame 2+ ton Panther!??

Jeez.....don't start gutting a HUGE 4 door sedan for a weight break....
If you're that anal....put helium in the tires and 'drop a BIG deuce' prior to racing and consider it done!

Or....as Bob said.....HP cures all ills.

BTW: There is NOTHING more impressive than a HUGE 4 door sedan with GOBS of torque and HP that can walk much lighter, more nimble cars!
Reeling in those smug little douchebags in their Miatas and S2000s, on the straights is SO much fun!

Jon Kaase has a recipe for Big, heavy sedans...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

crouse
07-16-2021, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I may use some of them. :)

gdmjoe
07-16-2021, 07:11 AM
Years ago (2003) and far away with a bunch of Impala SSs, I recall a test-and-tune session at the Dunn-Benson (NC) dragstrip. Amoung other interesting things, there was a guy there with a (IIRC) Mercedes (or maybe it was a Lexus) that was trying to get into the 12's via weight reduction. His list included...

hood
air cleaner
seats *even borrowed a Toyota's driver seat.
carpet
interior panels
trunk lid
radio
spare and everything else in the trunk
...and probably other things.

And no, he didn't make it into the 12s; best was low 13s.

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/pictures/20031102/bensontt200311022.jpg
*In case the image is a no-show ... <PIC> (https://www.gdmjoe.com/gothvic/pictures/20031102/bensontt200311022.jpg)

massacre
07-17-2021, 07:46 AM
For my weight reduction, I just ended up getting a car that weighs half as much.