PDA

View Full Version : Re: Interesting Article

Ambitious1
01-05-2022, 07:38 PM
"According to an article written by former U.S. Rep. Bob Barr, hidden away in the recently passed infrastructure bill... is a measure to install vehicle kill switches into every new car, truck and SUV sold in this country. The regulation likely won't be enforced for five years, so maybe there's time to do something about this."

The article continues:

"... the bill... states that the kill switch, which is referred to as a safety device, must passively monitor the performance of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired. In other words, Big Brother will constantly be monitoring how you drive. If you do something the system has been programmed to recognize as driver impairment, your car could just shut off... This kill switch 'safety' system would be open... would allow police and other government authorities to access it whenever. Even better, hackers could access the backdoor and shut down your vehicle."

Source: https://www.motorious.com/articles/features-3/kill-switches-new-cars/

musclemerc
01-05-2022, 08:03 PM
OnStar has been giving the police access to your vehicle for years.

Ambitious1
01-05-2022, 08:22 PM
OnStar has been giving the police access to your vehicle for years.

True, but Onstar is voluntary. Which means the owner / operator consented. It would seem that this bill would make it mandatory on all vehicles.

justbob
01-05-2022, 09:19 PM
My new Ford Transit 250 tells me to put my hands back on the steering wheel, automatically keeps me in my lane, will self stop in the event of an imminent collision, and emails me any vehicle concerns, current mileage, and upcoming maintenance. And this is a plain jane cargo van…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WhatsUpDOHC
01-06-2022, 04:45 AM
My new Ford Transit 250 tells me to put my hands back on the steering wheel, automatically keeps me in my lane, will self stop in the event of an imminent collision, and emails me any vehicle concerns, current mileage, and upcoming maintenance. And this is a plain jane cargo van…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProDoes it complain about the smell when you smoke the tires in the driveway?

musclemerc
01-06-2022, 06:29 AM
True, but Onstar is voluntary. Which means the owner / operator consented. It would seem that this bill would make it mandatory on all vehicles.

Not for the police to shut the vehicle down.

massacre
01-06-2022, 09:11 AM
All the more reason to keep driving older vehicles

1Marauder
01-09-2022, 11:00 PM
^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

1Marauder
01-11-2022, 07:23 AM
Anytime your car can recieve and send a signal...