PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Marauder , starts up, won't stay running

Marsha
09-08-2023, 07:48 AM
I have a Mercury Marauder 2003, that hasn't been run for 3 years, I have put stabilizer in it and started it , but last year it didn't get started.
Due to deaths of family members I feel I should get it running (it is my car) and get it sold. It only has 48,000 miles, newer tires and in mint condition (except won't stay running).
Is there anyone that can suggest a mechanic that would do a garage visit in the Lakes Region of NH to get it running so I can get the most I can for it.

Thank you!

03Merc
09-08-2023, 07:52 AM
I have a Mercury Marauder 2003, that hasn't been run for 3 years, I have put stabilizer in it and started it , but last year it didn't get started.
Due to deaths of family members I feel I should get it running (it is my car) and get it sold. It only has 48,000 miles, newer tires and in mint condition (except won't stay running).
Is there anyone that can suggest a mechanic that would do a garage visit in the Lakes Region of NH to get it running so I can get the most I can for it.

Thank you!

Probably needs a new fuel pump. Have it replaced then clean it up to post for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marsha
09-08-2023, 08:03 AM
Thank you!

crouse
09-08-2023, 05:13 PM
I doubt it's the fuel pump. It's most likely bad gas since it's been sitting for three years. It may just need to have the fuel tank drained and refilled with premium gas. And replace the fuel filter.

Another possibility would be a rodent made a nest in the airbox.

My recommendation would be to have it towed to a Ford dealer. Or do a search for local auto repair shops and reads the reviews to see if you can find one you are comfortable with.

Marsha
09-09-2023, 10:29 AM
Thank you, as I thought bad gas too even though I added an additive, but how to drain it is not something I could do myself. No rodents as I am replacing the air filter anyway and have no mice in my upper garage. Thank you again.

FordNut
09-10-2023, 05:15 AM
I doubt it's the fuel pump. It's most likely bad gas since it's been sitting for three years. It may just need to have the fuel tank drained and refilled with premium gas. And replace the fuel filter.

Another possibility would be a rodent made a nest in the airbox.

My recommendation would be to have it towed to a Ford dealer. Or do a search for local auto repair shops and reads the reviews to see if you can find one you are comfortable with.

I would agree it's probably not the pump.
If it has a lot of gas in it, try to siphon out as much as possible.
Add about 5 gallons of ethanol free premium gas.
Replace the filter.
While the filter is disconnected put a catch can on the tank side of the hose.
Turn the key on and off several times without starting the car.
Each time you turn it on, the pump should run a short time to prime the lines.
If the catch can is empty the pump is probably bad after all.
Then hook the line up to the filter and try to start the car again.
You will probably have to turn it on & off several times to fill the filter & lines.
There should be fresh gas in the lines now, or at least a mixture with mostly fresh gas.

Marsha
09-10-2023, 06:17 PM
Thank you so much, I will have to find someone that is able to do that for me as I know it's not something I would do myself. I so appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Mr. Man
09-11-2023, 11:14 AM
There's a shop in Laconia near the racetrack my dad seems to trust. JD's I think is the name. My old man was a mechanic in the ole days so for him to trust a shop is a good start. I believe the shop might be on 106.

Marsha
09-11-2023, 06:12 PM
Thank you, but that's a bit too far, but I appreciate it.

Doc995
09-24-2023, 04:50 PM

Thank you!

Is the car throwing any codes? As a previous poster stated, check and check again for any rodent activity in the airbox plenum...

Marsha
09-25-2023, 07:12 AM
No, no codes. I replaced the air filter with a new one. I'm going to try to find some non-e gas and give it another try. Thank you.