PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Question....

Petrograde
07-09-2004, 10:58 AM
ok,... as many of you know, I have a little girl on the way. :banana: Our first.

Which brings me to my question: which way is an infant car seat supposed to face? I've heard that you shouldn't face babies rearward, but, I've found alot of infant car seat that do just that. :confused:

Any help will be appreciated!!

valkyrie
07-09-2004, 11:04 AM
ok,... as many of you know, I have a little girl on the way. :banana: Our first.

Which brings me to my question: which way is an infant car seat supposed to face? I've heard that you shouldn't face babies rearward, but, I've found alot of infant car seat that do just that. :confused:

Petro, Up until a certain weight most states require a rear facing carseat. I believe it is up until 20lbs.

MENINBLK
07-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Here is a LOT of info on car seats... :eek:
http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

You could just visit KMart, WalMart, Target, ToysRUs, JCPenney, or Sears.
I find that these stores have the newest seats available.

You will also find that the SAFEST place for a car seat is in the center of the rear seat.

Ask if a store will let you try out the car seat in your car to make sure it fits.
If you aren't happy with the fit, what is the store's return policy,
if you can't try it out first...

Good Luck !!!

MENINBLK
07-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Petro, Up until a certain weight most states require a rear facing carseat. I believe it is up until 20lbs.

This is from the NYS DMV.

Safety Restraints
Are child safety seats required in New York State?

New York State law requires all children under four years old to ride in a safety seat. The safety seats must be certified according to Federal Motor Vehicles Safety Standard 213. Attach the safety seat to the car with the seat belt, and make sure that the child is in the safety seat securely.

How do I select the correct child safety seat?

To select the correct seat for your child, carefully read the recommendations of child safety seat manufacturers. The recommendations tell you what age weight and height a child can be to use the seat. The recommendations are normally printed on the outside of the seat package.

These examples can help you to select the correct child safety seat:

Infant seats are normally for infants that weigh approximately 22 pounds or less, are 25 inches or less in length, or are less than one year old. Face the infant seat toward the back of the vehicle. Never put an infant in the front seat of a vehicle that has a passenger-side air bag.
Convertible child safety seats are normally for infants or toddlers that weigh approximately 40 pounds or less. For infants, face these seats toward the back of the vehicle. For toddlers more than one year old, you can change these seats to face the front of the vehicle. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to adjust the seat as the child increases in size.
Booster seats are normally for children who have outgrown toddler seats. Booster seats are for children who are four to eight years old, who weigh 40 to 80 pounds, and who are less than four feet, nine inches in height. You can use a booster seat until an adult seat belt correctly fits the child without use of the booster seat. · Built-in child seats are available with some vehicle models. Built-in child seats fold away from the standard car seats. Do not use these seats for infants.
Always read the manufacturer's instructions and the information about the use of child safety seats in your vehicle owner manual. Make sure you install and use the seats correctly at all times. Never use an infant seat in the front seat of a vehicle that has a passenger-side air bag. Remember to also buckle up the other passengers. Read more tips on the correct use of safety seats.

Can I use a child safety seat in a car with air bags?

Recent studies show that air bags can cause serious or fatal injuries to infants, children or small adults that sit in the passenger-side front seat.

Never put a child safety seat in the front seat of a vehicle and face it toward the rear of a vehicle if that vehicle has a passenger-side air bag.
Do not put small children in the front seat of vehicle that has an air bag. Put a child that does not use a safety seat and who is less than five ft. in height in the back seat.
If a child must ride in the front seat, make sure the car seat is installed as far back as possible. Fasten the child securely in the child safety seat or seat belt. An air bag that opens suddenly can cause a serious injury to your infant or young child.
Air bags, used with seat belts, provide the best protection for older children and adults during an accident.
Remember that the back seat is the safest location for children to ride. Read more tips on the correct use of safety seats.
What is the seat belt law in New York State?

New York State law requires all front seat passengers to wear seat belts. Children less than age 16 must wear seat belts when they are in the front seat or the back seat. Children under the age of four must sit in certified safety seats. The penalty for a seat belt or car seat violation is a fine of up $50. If a safety seat conviction or a seat belt conviction includes a person under the age of 16, the driver receives a maximum fine of $100 and 3 points on the driver license record.

2003 MIB
07-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Texas law is very much the same as above. Rear facing up to 25lbs and then front facing up to 40lbs. Center of vehicle is safest spot. No helmet required...

Bluerauder
07-09-2004, 11:37 AM

Best way to be certain is to check with your local LEOs. Most have programs on proper child seat installation. They are happy to help.

My understanding is that infants face the rear always. Once they reach toddler age of a certain weight, then they face forward in the seat. Should be in the installation instructions; but the LEOs know this stuff for your particular area.

duhtroll
07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Our state law here is up until 1 year they need to be rear-facing.

You will be very happy with the MM legroom - most cars will not allow a passenger in the front seat after you have to slide the seat up to accomodate a rear-facing child seat. Also, we have the latch system which makes taking the seat in/out a snap.

I put a full size towel down tucked into the top of the seat and covering all the way down to the floor, then placed the child seat on top of that. Some people have placed a wooden board underneath the child seat, wrapped in a towel or piece of leather. This works too. I was told it would slide around too much/won't be leve/etc. and you shouldn't do that, but it doesn't slide either way and the leveler says it's fine. I also have the passenger seat back to where it touches (not weighs on) the carseat so I know it isn't going anywhere.

I am waiting for the first comments on my muscle car that has a baby seat. Then I can smoke them and say "you got beat by a car with a baby seat in it."

-A

Topher
07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
see this thread on baby seats. General rule is backward facing until they are at least 20lbs AND 1 year old. (at least in Illinois)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7319

Here are some other links pertaining to the topic........

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/index.cfm

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/New-fact-sheet03/ChildPassenger.pdf

We've got 2 carseats in the back of the MM. One forward and one backward. I'd suggest looking for one that uses the LATCH system. It will snap right into the anchors located between the seat & the backrest, and you don't have to mess with the seatbelts.

Chris

duhtroll
07-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Oh, also at the hospital they offered a free class on baby care and carseats, inclusing CPR, everyday stuff (even how to change diapers). Take advantage of these. We just had our first in May, and they were invaluable. Ours came early so I was assembling and installing the baby seat in the MM while wife and baby were asleep the first day. The nurse actually came out to help.

They love this stuff - I bet you'll find a matronly type that would love to talk your ear off about this stuff. I bet every hospital has one.

-A

BlackBeauty
07-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Congrats! I have a baby girl due in august as well. Our 1st too. Here in Denver you can go to any police or fire station and have someone inspect, and if needs be reinstall the car seat. They say something like 90% are not installed correctly.

Slowpoke
07-09-2004, 12:01 PM
yep....

REAR facing until 1 yr old AND 20 lbs. The latch system in our cars works great. I had to buy a new car seat at 10 months because the boy outgrew the one we had. We ended up with the BRITAX - it's rated as one of the safest. Now, at 14½ months of age, he faces the front and loves every minute of it.

While your baby is facing rear you may want to get a mirror to attach to the back window so you can see her face while you drive.

Ge a 'tavel system' consisting of 3 parts - a stroller, a base [stays mounted in the car, and a car seat. The car seat has a handle and you can move it from the stoller to the car without waking up the baby. It snaps into the base for car travel, then snaps into the stroller for strolling.

Unfortunately, she will eventually grow out of the car seat, hence the need to buy a dedicated car seat that stays in the car at all times. Also, these travel systems are mostly made of plastic and do do last more than one year... Then you need to buy a 'real' stroller'!

Petrograde
07-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone! MM.net comes through again!

duhtroll
07-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Just got back from the baby check with the pediatrician. Lucy was born May 7th at 6# 5oz. Today she is 12# 6oz.

She started small and now she is over the 90th percentile in weight.

I don't think the 20# is going to be a problem when she reaches 1 year.

:lol:

-A

Alan
07-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Petrograde,

Get yourself a "Mighty Tite". I found it at Babies R Us. It's a little device that helps to crank down that carseat REALLY tight in the seat. Once installed properly, the carseat does NOT move at all. I would NEVER use a carseat without one of those devices again.

Slowpoke
07-09-2004, 02:13 PM
using a good car seat base and the LATCH system, you will very easily be able to tighten the base to your car without the assistance of an external device.

Incidently, I always make my wife ride in the backseat right next to the baby when we travele togehter. I did this while she was pregnant too - i didnt want the airbag going off and hurting the unborn baby.

In fact, she rarely gets to sit in the front seat!

Dr Caleb
07-09-2004, 03:04 PM
I can't wait to have kids, just so I can get one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4035&prmenbr=361

Congrats by the way!

2003 MIB
07-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone! MM.net comes through again!
No problem, Tom!!- We all just want little Marquis to be safe...:beer:

Petrograde
07-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Just got back from the baby check with the pediatrician. Lucy was born May 7th at 6# 5oz. Today she is 12# 6oz.

She started small and now she is over the 90th percentile in weight.

I don't think the 20# is going to be a problem when she reaches 1 year.

:lol:

-A

Mine's gonna be a big baby... I might need an epidural too! :lol:

I can't wait to get that Simpson car seat! Daddy's little girl will at least have an appreciation for the go-fast goodies! :up:

MERCDADDY
07-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Congrats on the little one! Agree with what everyone here says on rear facing and center position, LATCH seats, etc. One thing left out that is very important is when you turn the seat to face forward make sure you use the tether anchors, they're those mounts under the plastic caps under the rear window. They help to keep the seat under control in the event of a collision. Also use the ratchet feature of the seat belt if you do not have a LATCH seat. Pull the seat belt all the way out and the seat belt will "ratchet" to the tightest position you can get the belt to. When doing this, it is helpful to get someone to push down on the seat while you feed the belt into the retractor to get the tightest fit. The tighter, the better!

MENINBLK
07-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Mine's gonna be a big baby... I might need an epidural too! :lol:

Nah !
Do like my wife did !
She took the Petosin straight up !
Baby came out in under 2 hours...

Who needs an Epidural ???

MENINBLK
07-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Congrats on the little one! Agree with what everyone here says on rear facing and center position, LATCH seats, etc. One thing left out that is very important is when you turn the seat to face forward make sure you use the tether anchors, they're those mounts under the plastic caps under the rear window. They help to keep the seat under control in the event of a collision. Also use the ratchet feature of the seat belt if you do not have a LATCH seat. Pull the seat belt all the way out and the seat belt will "ratchet" to the tightest position you can get the belt to. When doing this, it is helpful to get someone to push down on the seat while you feed the belt into the retractor to get the tightest fit. The tighter, the better!

Mercdaddy,

Car seats are now LATCH compatible.
You don't use tethers and seats belts anymore.
The Marauder has the latchs between the upper and lower cushion of the back seat.
You connect the latches and tighten the straps.
That's all there is to it!
Seat is as secure as if it was bolted in !

Heavy351
07-10-2004, 05:08 PM
My little rugrat is 20 months now and has spent nearly all of his driving experience in my marauder.

Everyone covered the seat and positioning itsellf pretty well here.

You may also want to get:

Seat warmer (http://http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005TN7O/ref%3Dnosim/indiaserver-20/104-9598014-4171965)

This thing is fantastic and you dont have to get all freaked out in the winter between car and indoors.. just zip and go.. (My kid loved leepin in it too)

A small curved suction cup mirror on a telescoping extension. Wal Mart sells a nice one. Mount to the windshield just above the regular mirror so you can keep an eye on the little one.

Baby's R us sells a thick rubber seat protector mat with pockets that hang down in front. I placed a large piece of closed cell foam (army-navy store) folded over once under the mat. Then I used a terry cloth towell folded into a square between the seat and the fold up armrest. I was getting creases in the leather before I started doing this.

Keep a box of baby wipes on the rear floor and a pair of towels you do not care about for the inevitable vomit rockets. I also have leather cleaner and armor all for the plastic.

Petrograde
07-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Nah !
Do like my wife did !
She took the Petosin straight up !
Baby came out in under 2 hours..

Petosin? whats that?

The Marauder has the latchs between the upper and lower cushion of the back seat.

Ah Ha! I figured those were for a baby seat, but I didn't how they were connected. Thanks! :up:

Baby's R us sells a thick rubber seat protector mat with pockets that hang down in front. I placed a large piece of closed cell foam (army-navy store) folded over once under the mat. Then I used a terry cloth towell folded into a square between the seat and the fold up armrest. I was getting creases in the leather before I started doing this.

Thanks,... I was wondering about that too!

Thanks again for everyones excellent advice!

Slowpoke
07-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Petosin is a drug used to induce labor.

Rubber seat protector is excellent! We got one and have used it since the seat was installed. Dark Grey, matches seats well.

Topher
07-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Mercdaddy,

You connect the latches and tighten the straps.
That's all there is to it!
Seat is as secure as if it was bolted in !

Actually, you're still supposed to use the top tether anchor, even with the LATCH system. LATCH= lower anchors AND tethers for children. However, this is only for forward facing carseats. The top anchor prevents the top portion of the carseat from moving forward during a frontal impact.

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Chris

MERCDADDY
07-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks MENINBLK, now I know who NOT to put my kids in the car with. Thanks for the backup on the tether, Topher. Also please note I advised to use the ratchet feature of the seat belt IF he did not have a LATCH seat and WHEN he turns the seat forward facing. Non LATCH style seats are still available and in use, even though the LATCH seat is much better. Also, you can still belt in a LATCH seat into a non-LATCH or a LATCH equipped vehilce, so the ratchet seatbelt feature is still useful either way.

Topher
07-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes, the ratcheting seat belt works quite well too. Instead of buying a 2nd base for the infant carrier for our 3 month old daughter, I just put the carrier backwards on the seat & guide the lap belt across the top slots. The seat has enough cushion so I can push the carrier down into it while racheting the shoulder belt tight. Once finished it's quite secure. Our 2 year old son is in the Britax LATCH seat on the passenger side.

MENINBLK
07-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Actually, you're still supposed to use the top tether anchor, even with the LATCH system. LATCH= lower anchors AND tethers for children. However, this is only for forward facing carseats. The top anchor prevents the top portion of the carseat from moving forward during a frontal impact.

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Chris
Chris,

Thanks for the update on the LATCH sytem.
I always wondered if there was a meaning for LATCH other than the obvious Latches.

Thanks MENINBLK, now I know who NOT to put my kids in the car with.
I would have you know that my 7 year old son enjoys riding in the back seat of our Marauder in this...
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Graco_TurboBooster_8493

We have had it for 2 years, since he grew out of the last seat he had,
which was an Eddie Bauer Toddler seat
that was supposed to be good for up to 70 lbs !!!
He is now 48"tall and weighs about 45 lbs.
It uses your existing seat belt, and is very easy for a toddler to buckle themselves in with it.

This seat is not a LATCH compatible seat, but in my wife's Focus Wagon,
she has leather seats and they are softer and not as grippy
as the seats in the Marauder.
So using a second Graco seat in her Focus we can LATCH it in with this...
http://www.kidsurplus.com/kidsurplus/gra840504.html
It holds the seat firmly in pace, and our son jumps in it and just fastens his seat belt around himself.
If you woudl like to see pics of the seat in the Focus, with the latch kit installed,
PM me and I'll take a few for you.

In both our Marauder and Focus, we use the rubber SeatSaver Car Seat mat under the car seat
to keep the leather seat surface from getting marred and ripped.
http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/carseatsaver.htm

So I've got TWO car seats for ONE kid.