PDA

View Full Version : Marauders and 1911's

rayjay
07-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Anyone else here enjoy both as a pastime? Finally received my custom from DW today :D

Fourth Horseman
07-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Mine's nothing special, just a Springfield high cap with the double-stack magazine. I enjoy shooting it but it has proven to be a much less reliable piece than either of my Glocks. I wish I would have bought a Kimber instead.

rayjay
07-09-2004, 09:37 PM
4thhorseman, Kimbers have had their problems too. Almost bought one of their polymers before I decided on the DW custom for OD carry. I bet my life everyday on a G22, can't beat em for reliability. Fugly, but they are a machine.

Fourth Horseman
07-09-2004, 09:45 PM
4thhorseman, Kimbers have had their problems too. Almost bought one of their polymers before I decided on the DW custom for OD carry. I bet my life everyday on a G22, can't beat em for reliability. Fugly, but they are a machine.

I don't have a lot of experience with 1911s, to be honest, so I'm not sure where my feed problems are coming from. About one round in 20 jams up on feed. Think maybe I should take it to a gun smith for some polishing on the feed ramp or something?

Got a link to some pics of your DW?

EDIT: I should note that I'm strictly a hobby target shooter. I don't keep my firearms for defense for many reasons (not the least of which is my lack of skill). So for me these feed problems are just an annoyance at the range, not a life and death matter like they could be for you. :)

BillyGman
07-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Not only are Glock's ugly IMO, but I hated the clunky trigger action on the one I shot. I have alwys heard they're reliable. Just not my cup of tea I guess. I've heard good things about the .45 Wilson Combats, and I wanted to buy one last year, but they're not cheap, and I ended up buying a Marauder right about then, so the Wilson was out.

FiveO
07-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Glock fan here....G21 and G30. Full size and compact .45 ACP.

For general shooting I wouldn't go with the Glock...but for law enforcement (such as me) the Glock is the only way to go.

No external safety other than the trigger safety...just point and shoot.

Durable, easy to disassemble and clean and accurate.

Brutus
07-10-2004, 03:56 AM
For general shooting I wouldn't go with the Glock...but for law enforcement (such as me) the Glock is the only way to go.

Durable, easy to disassemble and clean and accurate.

I agree, I have a 21. Glocks are the gun to have in "hostile environments." I also have two 1911's. A Kimber Custom and a Kimber Pro CDP II. Love them both.

jgc61sr2002
07-10-2004, 05:46 AM
I agree Glock is the only way to go.

rayjay
07-10-2004, 06:04 AM

Ah, Five0 you are forgetting about the #1 external safety :)

Sactown
07-10-2004, 06:26 AM
I like my Kimber 1911, but I don't have anything to compare to. Ruger 9mm polymer is a fun one but I wouldn't bet my life on it. My beast is the Ruger 454 Casull...not for carry though:)

Petrograde
07-10-2004, 07:13 AM
Not only are Glock's ugly IMO, but I hated the clunky trigger action on the one I shot. I have alwys heard they're reliable. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

hmm,.. maybe the trigger assy. had a problem? The trigger pull on my G34 is great! 3.5 lbs. pull, no slack at all.

As Marty says,... point and click!

I bought my Glock while I was stationed in Germany. the stamp says Made in Austria, Glock Ges.m.b.H. (equivelant to Inc.)

After firing mine then firing a buddy's G35 made in Smyrna, GA. there is NO comparison. I hate to say it but the Austrian made outproformed the US model, hands down.

My next pistol will be an H&K .45 Tactical :up: Possibly the best hand gun I've ever fired.

reminds me of this thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5810)

NOTE: the above thread no longer has the attached pics,.. so some of the replies might not make sense to someone who never read it before.

crimzon
07-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Got a springfield 1911 here, one of my favorite guns as it feels like it actually has some sturdyness too it. Have had a few loading issues with it, but probably 1 in 1,000 rounds.

Have shot plenty of glocks, and have never really liked them. Put 2,000 rounds downrange with a 17 in the academy, and never thought it was even close to my personal pistols.

Also have a HK USP .45 compact for daily carry, and a USP .45 tactical for duty use when I volunteer with the S.O. And for home protection, got a USC .45

If you cant tell, I'm a HK fan. My favorite weapon so far is the MP5K-PDW, fired a full-auto suppressed MP5 in the academy. Second favorite is the Barrett M82A1... Most powerful weapon I have ever fired.

Love the HK overall, but the weight/feel of the 1911 still wins in my mind. I cant get used to these polymer guns...

Heavy D.
07-10-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm a big fan of both myself. I love 1911 pattern handguns and have an early Para-Ordnance P14-45 that I shot IPSC with in the 90's. I put thousands of rounds through it every year and never had a problem with factory ammo although my early reloading "experiments" gave it trouble when I didn't seat the bullet far enough.

Fourth Horseman, I would have that throated and polished to help with the feeding problems.

One of the features that attracted me to the Para (and differs from most 1911's) was the one piece feed ramp copied from Brownings last handgun design, the Browning Hi-power P35, which helps eliminate hollowpoint and wadcutter feeding issues.

For duty carry I agree it's hard to beat the first shot capability of the Glock, and the double action only allows for a consistent trigger which really helps accuracy IMO. I had a Sig P220 in .45 ACP that was the most accurate handgun I ever owned, but it transitioned from double to single action after the first shot. I had trouble getting used to this after previously owning only single action handguns.

I've gone back to basics in the last couple of years and now spend most of my time on a stainless 7-shot Taurus .357 magnum with a 4-inch barrel. Since we have a lot of bears in the area I wanted something with a little more penetration than the .45 ACP with having to go to +P and stressing my well used P14.

Enjoy that DW rayjay and let us know how it shoots!

Petrograde
07-10-2004, 09:27 AM
If you cant tell, I'm a HK fan. My favorite weapon so far is the MP5K-PDW, fired a full-auto suppressed MP5 in the academy. Second favorite is the Barrett M82A1... Most powerful weapon I have ever fired

I've never fired the MP5, would love to though! I would also love to fire the M82,.. hmmm,.... You can get a supercharger or a Barrett for about the same price... wow,.. talk about a tough decision!

I'll bet Dan (MIB 2003) will have something to add!

BillyGman
07-10-2004, 10:39 AM
You can get a supercharger or a Barrett for about the same price... wow,That's true about the semi-auto Barrett, but I have the single shot bolt action one (Model 99) and that's a lot less. ($3,100). If you're really into target shooting, that's the model you want anyway since bolt action rifles are usually more accurate, and the model 99 has a barrell that's 4" longer than the semi-auto model. (the model 99 has a 33" barrell). Here's a pic of the model 99. That's what I have, and so can you for a mere $3,100 :D

2003 MIB
07-10-2004, 11:15 AM
I'll bet Dan (MIB 2003) will have something to add!
Sometimes it's like we share one brain, Tom...I think Saturdays are your day to keep it. :)
I'm kinda going through a wheelgun phase right now. My daily carry is a S&W 342 Airlight Ti. I'd file it under "carry a lot and shoot a little". In an Uncle Mike's Sidekick it doesn't "print" in casual pants or shorts. I like the hammerless design and the weight. It's a "stinger" after going through a box of Cor-Bons- Ouch! I carried a full frame S&W 410 for about 5 years and it was a great, reliable weapon but the SOB holster limited concealed carry clothing options. I shoot my S&W 629 more than anything else right now. I really enjoy my 870 but don't shoot it a lot. My next handgun will probably be the S&W 1911- Kimbers have always been on my wish list but never seem to be in my budget.

As an aside, everything is locked up except the 342- . I have 3 kids in the house (15,13 and 3). :nono:

We've got a couple of single action shooters in our North Texas Marauder group- Jack and Steve- neat sport...:shot:

the fat bastid
07-10-2004, 12:01 PM
i got a amt hardballer longslide 1911.
it jams about once a clip but i love it.
i think the crappy magazine might have something to do with it however i know thats not the
only thing. :)

BruteForce
07-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Springfield Model 1911-A1 .45 (matte black) and Ruger P89 9mm (worn glossy black) here. I've been shopping for a "better" .45 for awhile but can't seem to decide on which one I want.

Krytin
07-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Old Auto Ordinance model 1911 1A. I used to hold FFL in NH & did some smithing. Following mods:
From Chip McCormick:
titanium/carbon fiber match trigger
titanium skeletonized comander hammer
titanium firing pin
forged sear- ground&polished
Trigger Slick Lube for sear/hammer
From Wilson Combat:
extractor
extended combat ejector
full length recoil guide w/group gripper
Shock Buff recoil pads for guide
Ed Brown Beaver Tail Grip Safety
Hogue wrap around finger grip stocks
Pachmayer flat mainspring housing
King 3-dot fixed sights
Colt National Match SS barrel & bushing
Wolf 18 1/2# spring set
All of above self installed/fit along with lowered & relieved ejection port, polishied feed ramp on frame and slide/frame rails tightened.
Hand loaded ammo - 200 gr. Speer JHP (the old ones w/the BIG hole) @ 1150 fps.
At 25 yds. it will print 3" or tighter.

Alan
07-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Me? Like 1911s? Naahhhh.....

Springfield Black Stainless on-duty
Springfield TRP Stainless off-duty
Springfield WWII GI for the car and just because I wanted it! :)
Springfield customized stainless frame with Kimber .22lr stainless conversion
Kimber Custom Eclipse II Stainless (gave to my father)

FiveO
07-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Old Auto Ordinance model 1911 1A. I used to hold FFL in NH & did some smithing. Following mods:
From Chip McCormick:
titanium/carbon fiber match trigger
titanium skeletonized comander hammer
titanium firing pin
forged sear- ground&polished
Trigger Slick Lube for sear/hammer
From Wilson Combat:
extractor
extended combat ejector
full length recoil guide w/group gripper
Shock Buff recoil pads for guide
Ed Brown Beaver Tail Grip Safety
Hogue wrap around finger grip stocks
Pachmayer flat mainspring housing
King 3-dot fixed sights
Colt National Match SS barrel & bushing
Wolf 18 1/2# spring set
All of above self installed/fit along with lowered & relieved ejection port, polishied feed ramp on frame and slide/frame rails tightened.
Hand loaded ammo - 200 gr. Speer JHP (the old ones w/the BIG hole) @ 1150 fps.
At 25 yds. it will print 3" or tighter.

Geeeeeeze. Its not a car ;) :D

Krytin
07-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Geeeeeeze. Its not a car ;) :D
Hey, what can I say - once a hot rodder, always a hot rodder!

buckyboy
07-10-2004, 07:49 PM
shot 1911's, not a fan of s/aonly proud owner of s&w 625 .45 revolver 5 inch barrel
s&w 19 .357 mag. 2 1/2 inch barrel
s&w chief .38 snub
cz p-o1 9mm-da/sa
next gun is gonna be a para lda, love the grip of a 1911, but like double action. The para lda is best of both..

rayjay
07-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Happy to see there are a bunch of gun guys here :up: Nothin better than cars and pistoles. Going to take the new DW up to gun club in the morning and put a few hundred BBs down range to break her in :D I don't have a trigger pull gage, but I'd say 3 3/4 to 4 lbs max. This is my third DW 1911. The other two are accurate and reliable. Someone here mentioned the P35, Browning Hi Power, I have two of those. My favorite 9mm. Now that I have a new 4 wheeled toy to play with, I guess I'll stop buying firearms for awhile.:baaa:

tsn1
07-10-2004, 11:45 PM
HK USP 45 is a great tactical pistol. I too love the 1911 type of pistol, but have tired of having to send it to the shop to make it perfect. Those Austrians and Germans have really perfected the out of the box straight shooter.

rayjay
07-11-2004, 09:39 AM
150 BBs down range, no hiccups = :banana: :banana: :banana: Bob and the boys did this one perfect! Certainly more accurate than I'm capable of :D

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 02:16 PM
certainly more accurate than I'm capable of :D
Yeah, that's how it is w/my Barret 50 cal. W/me shooting it the weak link in the accuracy equation is my ability since I haven't really spent enough time shooting it to get really good w/it yet. I've been busier w/other hobbies such as my Marauder than I have been w/the firearms. You can only spread your time and $$ so thin.

MI2QWK4U
07-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Best Semi-automatic pistol I have ever fired/owned...the Para-ordance LDA 14-45, high capacity of a hard hitting round, perfectly balanced for recoil and staying on target. I was instantly impressed, as was every co worker that fired it on the range, puts the Glock 40 cal to shame. Light trigger pull AND you carry it hammer down, just my opinion. Then I picked up the Para LDA Para Carry 7-15 for conceal carry. Both guns were picked as handguns of the year by guns and ammo, but you need to see for your self!

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Dave, is that the single action P-Ordinance that you're talking about or the double action?

MI2QWK4U
07-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Dave, is that the single action P-Ordinance that you're talking about or the double action?

LDA...Light Double Action.
I have never fired anything as smooth as that.

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 03:21 PM
AAAAAHHH, yes I remember now the positive write-ups in the gun mags I read about that one. They raved about it, but I wasn't sure if that was just hype. I guess it wasn't in light of what you've said. :up:

MI2QWK4U
07-11-2004, 03:33 PM
AAAAAHHH, yes I remember now the positive write-ups in the gun mags I read about that one. They raved about it, but I wasn't sure if that was just hype. I guess it wasn't in light of what you've said. :up:

The hype was not exagerated, it was dead on...but that performance doesnt come cheap though.

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 03:45 PM
The hype was not exagerated, it was dead on...but that performance doesnt come cheap though.
I hear ya Dave. I'm no stranger to expensive firearms. People who haven't bought any for 10 years are amazed when they hear how much I've spent for some of the pieces I have. But I guess it's like anything else, including cars. HP costs $$. The more you want, the more it will cost you. Guns aren't any exception to that rule. The finer you want, the more you'll pay. I remember the first two times I went traget shooting w/handguns which was about 6 months before I first got a pistol permit. The guy who I was shooting with never spent over $400 for any one of his handguns, and it showed. They were constantly jamming up, had poor trigger travel on them, and in general were terrible to shoot.

Ross
07-14-2004, 07:00 AM
I own five 1911's

2 full size from Mitchell Arms

1 full size AMT Hardballer

1 Colt Combat Commander, bought in 1975 and carried every day in Korea

1 Llama Officer's Model

The Colt and the Llama are my every day carry guns, and the AMT stays mounted in a holster on the driver's side of my car's console next to my right leg.

Petrograde
07-14-2004, 02:07 PM
the AMT stays mounted in a holster on the driver's side of my car's console next to my right leg.

Ah ha! I've been trying to remember who did that... could you post a few pics?

Thanks!

Ross
07-14-2004, 02:14 PM

Thanks!

If I can figure out how to do all of the digital cam pics onto computer onto message stuff...I know even less about computers than I do about engines. :confused:

Brutus
07-14-2004, 03:48 PM

Thanks!
If you are looking for a way to mount a handgun check out this link http://secure.fobusholster.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FH&Product_Code=UVM&Category_Code=RotoA

I have a couple of their holsters and love them.

Petrograde
07-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Brutus.... thanks bro! :up:

they even have holsters for us lefty shooters!

I'd give ya some rep points if they were available!

Brutus
07-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Brutus.... thanks bro! :up:

they even have holsters for us lefty shooters!

I'd give ya some rep points if they were available!
No problem Bro!!

Lou
07-15-2004, 07:02 AM
I guess you can say I'm a fan. I've got three of them in differnt sizes. I've had a commader for years and have put thousands of rounds through it over the years. I bought a Kimber CDP 2 years ago "just because I could" [said with a raspy southern accent]
Just last month I had a chance to pick up a Series 70 Govt Model for a steal and I just couldn't pass it up. It shoots really nice.

I also have a G26. 10 rounds of wimpy 9mm but it's as simple as you can get. Point and shoot..:uzi: It goes bang.

Ross
07-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Brutus, that's exactly the rig I have. When I mounted it, I realized that someone looking into the car could see the holster and gun if they looked in the right place, so I attached a small towel, same color as the interior, behind the mount. Now I just drape the towel over the gun to hide it. It barely covers the gun, so it's no trouble to reach under and grab the gun quickly if necessary.

Brutus
07-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Here is a pic of mt 1911's

Krytin
07-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Very nice Brutus! I really like the two tone comander! I want to refinish my Auto Ordinance - blue/black slide & nickle frame. What finish is on yours?

Brutus
07-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Very nice Brutus! I really like the two tone comander! I want to refinish my Auto Ordinance - blue/black slide & nickle frame. What finish is on yours?
The frame on the bottom gun is aluminum. It is black anodized. The slide is stainless and is just bead blasted for a matte finish. For a steel gun I like the Robar finishes.

Rob1559
07-15-2004, 05:40 PM
I use to shoot a .45 but was switched to Berretta when Guard switched. No problems at all.
I still like "my" A2 with a M203! KAAAABOOOOM! :shot: :up:

gnorrell
07-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I've got a stainless Kimber Polymer pro-carry with a 14 round double stack mag. Its a great pistol. Very accurate. The Colt M1991A1 is my favorite .45. I would really like to get a WWII Singer M1911 though.

Petrograde
07-15-2004, 06:06 PM
I use to shoot a .45 but was switched to Berretta when Guard switched. No problems at all.
I still like "my" A2 with a M203! KAAAABOOOOM! :shot: :up:

Ugh! M-9 is a piece of friggin crap! It's kinda odd, I've fired the Beretta 92F... great weapon! too bad the mil spec version sucks.

I loved the M203... 40mm HE rounds = great fun!

Ya know,.. I missed my M-4 so much I went out and bought the civvie version. :uzi:

RCSignals
07-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Doesn't anyone have a plain old GI 1911/A1?

Anyone have an "Inglis" Hi-power?

RCSignals
07-15-2004, 10:45 PM
The Colt M1991A1 is my favorite .45. I would really like to get a WWII Singer M1911 though.
What's with those Singers? Some say they were great, others say they weren't.
I've only ever seen a couple of them.

rayjay
07-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Anyone have an "Inglis" Hi-power?Don't have a Inglis yet, but have been looking at them. There seems to be quite a few on the auction sites lately and renewed interest on the forums as well. There was a pristine T Series up for auction. Starting price was $850. So it seems the vintage Hi Powers are headed up in price :depress:

Jolly Roger
07-17-2004, 10:55 AM
I have Paraordinace P-12-45, compact 1911 style 12 shot dbl stack mag.
Had it for years but I still love my Glock.
Just my 4.6 cts. worth.:)

Svashtar
07-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Good thread!

I have a heavily customized MK. IV Series 70 Colt bought new in 1978 for about $340, with about another 2K into it. Remember back then, practically all mods had to be done custom and it cost. No such thing as Novak or other sights intended for the rear slot then, so I had S&W K Frame adj. revolver sights milled into the top of the slide which was what Bill Wilson was doing at the time.

Later had a Briley barrel with titanium nitride sherical bushing installed, ROBAR did my bottom frame in Roguard after I cut up the bottom frame under the guard for more clearance. (For the price they should have NP3'd all the internals, but didn't at the time; no big.) Feed ramp was polished and ejector port lowered, and added a tuned Ed Brown extractor and had the underside of the slide milled for a commander ejector which gives the brass an extra whack on the way out of the gun.

It has an original Safari arms speed safety, which I think is still the best ever made (and not a rooney ambi safety:) ), and orig. Safari arms grip safety. 30 LPI hand checkering on the mainspring housing and front grip frame, front of trigger guard and back of the slide and ejector to reduce glare (later "undid" this last mod to rear of slide). Checkered slide stop with SS spring detent cut into it's face, and mag release button. Ed brown commander style hammer and one piece guide rod with Wilson shok-buff, McCormick sear, disconnector and sear spring, Wolff 18.5 ln. recoil spring, extra power firing pin spring (remember no drop safety this model) and 19 lb. reduced power mainspring to help reduce trigger pull to a perfect 3.75 lbs. Brown SS "unbreakable" firing pin, and new fitted oversized firing pin stop plate. Cut one coil off the mag release spring for just slightly easier operation, and with the checkering already on it, safer than a jumbo button.

Later had night site inserts installed into the Smith K sights by Tool Tech gunsite. Eagle polished elephant ivory grips with silver torx head grip screws. Traded 200 garand clips for 5 original Devel 8 rd. competition mags with the weighted bases, and they just fly out of the gun on reloads. McCormick has the patent on these now, and although they are discontinued his power-mags are the closest to the original. (Wilson #47's are nice tho.)

I think I have probably tried EVERY single rooney or BOPOS part or mod you can do to a 1911 frame, and have a drawerful of parts new and used to prove it! First setup was the Devel 24lb! recoil double spring system ala 1982, and it could take recoil you wouldn't believe, but it also pounded the hell out of you. Way too strong. I also used a mercury filled Haarts recoil reducer for a while which I still use in my Glock 19; I just liked the Brown rod and plug better and there are issues with that unit and shok-buffs I can explain if anyone's interested.

Bottom line, it will shoot all day into an inch and half at 25 yards, and that's better than I can hold it! Thanks for getting on my favorite subject. :up:

Norm

RCSignals
07-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Don't have a Inglis yet, but have been looking at them. There seems to be quite a few on the auction sites lately and renewed interest on the forums as well. There was a pristine T Series up for auction. Starting price was $850. So it seems the vintage Hi Powers are headed up in price :depress:
I wonder where they are coming from? Canada will be destroying theirs rather than surplus them. (so far I think they're still using them anyway)

Britain used to use them, and some were provided to Greece. (not counting the early ones for China)

Marc
07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
I've fired different models and calibers and my Glock .40 model 22 (pre 93 ban) is still my favorite. Accuracy and capacity of a 9mm but stopping power close to a .45. In a close combat situation, I can't think of anything I would rather have.

gnorrell
07-19-2004, 04:18 PM
I just want one because they are from WWII and made by a sewing machine company. LOL

What's with those Singers? Some say they were great, others say they weren't.
I've only ever seen a couple of them.

rayjay
07-19-2004, 07:42 PM
I just want one because they are from WWII and made by a sewing machine company. LOL
check www.gunbroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com) there may be one there.

Brutus
07-20-2004, 10:51 AM
I loved the M203... 40mm HE rounds = great fun!

Ya know,.. I missed my M-4 so much I went out and bought the civvie version. :uzi:Like my M-4??? Its the non Civilian version. HEHEHE :up:

Petrograde
07-20-2004, 01:59 PM
hmmm.... maybe it's time to get my Class 3.

cbala
07-21-2004, 06:08 AM
LB Custom Monolith Commanche Heavyweight...

Scott Leininger
07-21-2004, 07:03 AM
I also enjoy shooting, For work I am issued a Glock 22C but I prefer my KImber any day. The Kimber is the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. I can shoot the Glock and score a 236 out of 240 for qualifications and then pick up the Kimber and shoot 240 out of 240 almost every time.
Anyone else here enjoy both as a pastime? Finally received my custom from DW today :D

Marc
07-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Thought some may appreciate these.

the fat bastid
07-21-2004, 01:29 PM

TANGO DOWN!!
heh

MarauderBZ
07-21-2004, 05:32 PM
I've always liked 1911's. I have a Kimber TLE, series 2. I've had this thing for about 4 months now and I think it is exactly like my Marauder. My Kimber had quality issues that were fixed in the first 1500rnds, stuff like the Extractor tension, front sight moving in the dovetail during firing, and the plunger tube assembly coming loose and causing the gun to lock open with rounds still in the magazine. My Marauder also had quality issues within it's first 1500 or so miles...but once my car and the 1911 got the bugs worked out, both were very very SWEET. :uzi:

BillyGman
01-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Wow!! you get to shoot in your back yard? Okay, okay, I know.....this is an old thread, but one that I didn't follow back when........BTW, what am I looking at here? MAC-10? Ouzie (sp?)????

SouLRioT
01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
That looks like a HK MP-5

Petrograde
01-24-2005, 05:04 PM
That looks like a HK MP-5

yup,... MP5!! I was thinking about getting the 'civvie' version from Vulcan Arms,.. :D

BTW- it's spelled U-Z-I

BillyGman
01-24-2005, 05:07 PM
yup,... MP5!! I was thinking about getting the 'civvie' version from Vulcan Arms,.. :D

BTW- it's spelled U-Z-I
Okay, thanks for the answer, and for the correct spelling too. ;)

Dark_Knight7096
01-24-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm a shooting fan myself, i don't have my FFL yet though because i'm just to lazy to get it, me and my father go alot though, i usually shoot his .45 sig. I personally would like to buy one day a Glock 23, a .40SW H&K USP, and the same .45 sig that my father has, maybe even one day a .50 DE. I also love to go trap shooting a lot.

Petrograde
01-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Okay, thanks for the answer, and for the correct spelling too. ;)

hmm,.. I think you're kidding around. :P I know it's a tiny 9mm,.. but, I'd think if anyone here could identify hardware,... it'd be you!

:cuke:

Dark_Knight7096
01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
TANGO DOWN!!
hehHe ain't movin' no more.

SOCOM good game.

BillyGman
01-24-2005, 10:51 PM
hmm,.. I think you're kidding around. :P I know it's a tiny 9mm,.. but, I'd think if anyone here could identify hardware,... it'd be you!

:cuke:Naw, I was being sincere. :) I have some firearms, and a good deal of knowledge about them, but I cannot identify every gun I see. I'm still learning. I've never even shot a full auto rifle (yet). I'd love to go to that "Knob Creek" place in Kentucky some day where they let you rent full auto rifles, and even flame throwers!!!!!! :flamer:

One guy who went there told me that sometimes they rig up junk cars as targets that have dynamite attached!!!!! talk about "exploding targets"!!!!

Mike Poore
01-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Naw, I was being sincere. :) I have some firearms, and a good deal of knowledge about them, but I cannot identify every gun I see. I'm still learning. I've never even shot a full auto rifle (yet). I'd love to go to that "Knob Creek" place in Kentucky some day where they let you rent full auto rifles, and even flame throwers!!!!!! :flamer:

One guy who went there told me that sometimes they rig up junk cars as targets that have dynamite attached!!!!! talk about "exploding targets"!!!!
Hey Billy, I've seen vids of the Knob Creek madness, and can't wait to get down there to see it, first hand. There's guys who show up at Knob Creek, with, gulp, TANKS! Shotgun News has a big spread on the event every year.

"They" say the place is crawling with unwelcome ATF dudes, crapping their pants 'cause they can't do a thing about it, since everyone has their documentation certified on the way in.

Here's a concept! Marauderville IV at Knob Creek! :woohoo:

Marc
01-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Wow!! you get to shoot in your back yard? Okay, okay, I know.....this is an old thread, but one that I didn't follow back when........BTW, what am I looking at here? MAC-10? Ouzie (sp?)????

Someone got one of them right. The picture where I'm not wearing a hat is an MP-5, my sidearm is a Glock .40 cal (Model 22). The picture where I am wearing a hat is an M-16, but very difficult to tell from the angle of the pic. Based on my "prowess" with the M16, I'm embarrassed to say that the picture could have been taken from the front and the photographer would have been very safe.

ckadiddle
01-25-2005, 09:47 AM
The wife is starting to turn into a gun nut. :uzi: I would like to hear recommendations from you gun guys for my wife. Need one for carrying when she gets her permit (maybe smaller and more easily concealed), another for target shooting (more accurate). Think low kick. We have rented several types at the range. So far she is leaning toward revolver. Pricewise, think five hundred or less per weapon. Hey, I gotta keep up the Marauder payments. Also, opinions as to buying of used guns - any problems when buying froma reputable established dealer ?

Marc
01-25-2005, 10:10 AM
The wife is starting to turn into a gun nut. :uzi: I would like to hear recommendations from you gun guys for my wife. Need one for carrying when she gets her permit (maybe smaller and more easily concealed), another for target shooting (more accurate). Think low kick. We have rented several types at the range. So far she is leaning toward revolver. Pricewise, think five hundred or less per weapon. Hey, I gotta keep up the Marauder payments. Also, opinions as to buying of used guns - any problems when buying froma reputable established dealer ?

I'm not a fan of revolvers personally, so I would stay with semi-auto. As to caliber and type, I would go with 9mm or .40 and keep it loaded with hollow points. The goal in self defense is stopping power, so if you can only get one round to hit the subject, you want to make it count, and a .22 just can't do that consistently. There are plenty of compact models in those calibers to accomplish what you're looking for and used is not a problem if you stay with a quality manufacturer and repurtable dealer.

I will say that the absolutely sweetest 9mm I have fired was a SigSauer. Virtually no kick and the most accurate I've ever experienced. But Beretta and Glocks are quality also and you may even find an S&W that you like.

BillyGman
01-25-2005, 12:09 PM
The wife is starting to turn into a gun nut. :uzi: I would like to hear recommendations from you gun guys for my wife. Need one for carrying when she gets her permit (maybe smaller and more easily concealed), another for target shooting (more accurate). Think low kick. We have rented several types at the range. So far she is leaning toward revolver. Pricewise, think five hundred or less per weapon. Hey, I gotta keep up the Marauder payments. Also, opinions as to buying of used guns - any problems when buying froma reputable established dealer ?I've never shot one, but I hear good things about the Walther PPK/S autoloaders (semi-auto pistol). my brother has one, and I held it. It feels nice and compact, and it's chambered in the .380 caliber which does NOT kick hard at all. That pistol is very concealable, yet will pack more punch than a little "belly" gun like those cheapie .25 caliber guns. It comes in stainless steel with a 7 shot magazine for $450 new. it was originally made in germany, but now they're manufactured in the USA. There's also the "PPK" model, but the "PPK/S" looks alot nicer.

LordVader
01-25-2005, 01:07 PM
:P I have a Kimber Compact, which I consider to be a really accurate .45. This is a little large to carry, so I have an Astra 9mm (carried by LEOs in Spain). It is a really nice little pistol, and it too is quite accurate.

Brutus
01-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Someone got one of them right. The picture where I'm not wearing a hat is an MP-5, my sidearm is a Glock .40 cal (Model 22). The picture where I am wearing a hat is an M-16, but very difficult to tell from the angle of the pic. Based on my "prowess" with the M16, I'm embarrassed to say that the picture could have been taken from the front and the photographer would have been very safe.

Is it an M-16 or an M-4 Carbine? I notice it has a collapsable stock.

MM2004
01-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Colt 1991 A1 Officers (Compact) Model. Guide rod, barrel bushing, ramped, throated, trigger job, etc, . .
Weapon of choice as well as my Combat Commander!
This will feed anything you throw at it, even truncated lead for plinking! :cool:

Brutus
01-25-2005, 09:49 PM
This will feed anything you throw at it, even truncated lead for plinking! :cool:
Very nice! Remember the old Speer "Flying Ashtray"?

rayjay
01-26-2005, 05:35 AM
Not a 1911, but I just picked up a Sig Pro 2009 Blue Line.

Marc
01-26-2005, 06:15 AM
Is it an M-16 or an M-4 Carbine? I notice it has a collapsable stock.

Not sure about the M-4, but the M16 I was using did not have a collapsaable stock.

BK_GrandMarquis
01-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Got a springfield 1911 here, one of my favorite guns as it feels like it actually has some sturdyness too it. Have had a few loading issues with it, but probably 1 in 1,000 rounds.

Have shot plenty of glocks, and have never really liked them. Put 2,000 rounds downrange with a 17 in the academy, and never thought it was even close to my personal pistols.

Also have a HK USP .45 compact for daily carry, and a USP .45 tactical for duty use when I volunteer with the S.O. And for home protection, got a USC .45

If you cant tell, I'm a HK fan. My favorite weapon so far is the MP5K-PDW, fired a full-auto suppressed MP5 in the academy. Second favorite is the Barrett M82A1... Most powerful weapon I have ever fired.

Love the HK overall, but the weight/feel of the 1911 still wins in my mind. I cant get used to these polymer guns...
I like your tastes too. Although I think the HK are too big for my hands. They are also hard to get and more expensive. The Barrett is also nice but I don't have a range near me that could handle the firepower. Impressive weapon though. Looks good too. :D

michburt
01-26-2005, 01:15 PM
A girl in my wife's office gave me a duffle bag her father brought back from Germany in 45. Her father died a few years ago and she had it in her closet for a number of years. She is moving to Orlando and just didn't want to move it again.

Couple of nice knives, a bayonet and a shorter side knive. Bayonet has the heraldic eagle and nazi signs. Metal helmet and a nazi soft hat. The kicker was a holster in the bottom of the bag with a Walther P-38 9mm in it. Pistol has the nazi (small) heraldic eagle stamp on the right side of the slide. Even had the slip signed by an Captain giving him permission to bring it back.

Called her immediatly, told her what was in the bag and she said "happy birthday. Enjoy it."

I'm not a collector and I havn't a clue what it's worth.

Mike:D

SouLRioT
01-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Mike, if you want we can go to the next gun show to check out prices on it, I sure Ghost03 would go too.

Marc
01-26-2005, 01:33 PM
A girl in my wife's office gave me a duffle bag her father brought back from Germany in 45. Her father died a few years ago and she had it in her closet for a number of years. She is moving to Orlando and just didn't want to move it again.

Couple of nice knives, a bayonet and a shorter side knive. Bayonet has the heraldic eagle and nazi signs. Metal helmet and a nazi soft hat. The kicker was a holster in the bottom of the bag with a Walther P-38 9mm in it. Pistol has the nazi (small) heraldic eagle stamp on the right side of the slide. Even had the slip signed by an Captain giving him permission to bring it back.

Called her immediatly, told her what was in the bag and she said "happy birthday. Enjoy it."

Its worth a lot. I would get it appraised so you don';t get ripped off.

rookie1
01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
I've never shot one, but I hear good things about the Walther PPK/S autoloaders (semi-auto pistol). my brother has one, and I held it. It feels nice and compact, and it's chambered in the .380 caliber which does NOT kick hard at all. That pistol is very concealable, yet will pack more punch than a little "belly" gun like those cheapie .25 caliber guns. It comes in stainless steel with a 7 shot magazine for $450 new. it was originally made in germany, but now they're manufactured in the USA. There's also the "PPK" model, but the "PPK/S" looks alot nicer.

I agree that the PPK/S looks alot nicer and that .380 as a rule doesn't recoil that violently. However, in the PPK/S it recoils worse than my larger caliber guns and has a tendency to bruise the web of your shooting hand between thumb and forefinger. I've owned this firearm and tried to pawn it off on the wife but she didn't like the way it shot either.
In regards to smaller calibers, I went over this with my wife a bazillion times in our quest for something she was comfortable with. Finally coming to the conclusion that a small caliber(.25,.32,) that she would carry and actually have available if needed(God forbid) was much better than having nothing at all.

My personal preference for carry is a Sig p229 .40. I also own and enjoy shooting the ubiquitous Beretta 92 and a Para-Ordnance P14-45 among others.

rayjay
01-26-2005, 03:23 PM
The kicker was a holster in the bottom of the bag with a Walther P-38 9mm in it. Pistol has the nazi (small) heraldic eagle stamp on the right side of the slide. Even had the slip signed by an Captain giving him permission to bring it back.

$600-$850 depending on condition. If its mint, clean it up and hold on to it.

King Fubar
01-26-2005, 03:53 PM

I saw a guy at the Suncoast Gun Show here in Ft. Myers with a whole case of Lugers with the Nazi stamp and some stamped SS. They were in unissued condition so he said and wanted $550.00 a piece. I bought a Taurus PT111SS I like that one I carry it off duty some times. My duty weapon is a Glock 19 it isn't bad a good cop proof weapon.

The rest of my inventory is

Taurus PT100AF .40
Smith&Wesson 2214 .22 pistol
Winchester Defender 1300 12ga
Winchester (USRA) 30-30 mod. 94
1851 .44 Colt black powder replica
CVA .50 muzzleloader

Krytin
01-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Very nice! Remember the old Speer "Flying Ashtray"?
Yes sir! I still have about 300 unloaded. I hand load these babies to 1200 fps @ 15' from the muzzle! They zip!

jabird56
01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Since this thread has been re-energized,...

I have a Springfield 1911-A1 LOADED. It's a tack driver but, it does have "stove pipe" spent casing hangups once in a while. I also have:

Glock G-17, G-17 (Desert Storm), G-17L, G-21, G-22 (comp'd out), 2 G-24Cs, and a G30.

Originally, I hated the Glock. However, Glock came in and ran a Glock match (Glock Shooting Sports Foundation - GSSF) at our club range in Waldorf, MD over ten years ago, I have acquired a true respect for this line of pistols. Once you learned the "uniqueness" of the trigger, you will fall in love with it. I can go from Glock to Glock and it will have exactly the same trigger feel and pull (as long as they have the same weight trigger pull, i.e 5 lbs. trigger pull). They are also one of the easiest to field strip and put back together.
Glock stands by their product also and here are a couple of examples:

At GSSF matches you can take your glocks to their onsite gunsmith and they will install any parts upgrades for free.
A scuba diver (for whatever reason) went diving in Puget Sound and accidently lost his pistol during the dive. Six months later he happened to be diving in the same area and found the pistol. He sent it in to Glock USA for a check-up and they only had to replace the corroded springs and shipped it back to without any additional corrosion found.

Bottomline, they are reliable, simple to use, and accurate. During the last year that I competed at GSSF matches, I competed in five matches across the country and place into the money 3 out 5 times

rayjay
01-26-2005, 07:51 PM
jabird 56, I have to agree on the reliability and simplicity of Glocks. My most "modded" pistol is my Glock 36. I'm a factory trained armorer so, I decided to slick the 36. From polished ramp/chamber to titanium fire control parts, ghost ring night sights, polished 3.5# connector, ect... shes a real shooter. Truth be known, of all the pistols I own, the 36 gets the most carry time. Shes outstanding at up close and personal, under 15 yards. Very controllable with hot ammo. Are you on glocktalk?

Festus
01-27-2005, 05:19 AM

I'm sure Prince Harry would give you a heck of a deal. He's got plenty of dough and seems to like Nazi things.

rayjay
01-27-2005, 05:42 AM
The wife is starting to turn into a gun nut. :uzi: I would like to hear recommendations from you gun guys for my wife. Need one for carrying when she gets her permit (maybe smaller and more easily concealed), another for target shooting (more accurate). Think low kick. We have rented several types at the range. So far she is leaning toward revolver. Pricewise, think five hundred or less per weapon. Hey, I gotta keep up the Marauder payments. Also, opinions as to buying of used guns - any problems when buying froma reputable established dealer ?Concealment, Kahr P9 Covert, 9mm 6/7 +1, small, light, surprisingly accurate and manageable recoil. When warm weather comes, mine is my constant companion.

Brutus
01-27-2005, 10:56 AM
The wife is starting to turn into a gun nut. http://www.mercurymarauder.com/forums/images/smilies/uzi.gif I would like to hear recommendations from you gun guys for my wife. Need one for carrying when she gets her permit (maybe smaller and more easily concealed), another for target shooting (more accurate). Think low kick. We have rented several types at the range. So far she is leaning toward revolver. Pricewise, think five hundred or less per weapon. Hey, I gotta keep up the Marauder payments. Also, opinions as to buying of used guns - any problems when buying froma reputable established dealer ?First off, I don’t know how much experience your wife has with shooting, but its my opinion that 95% of most quality handguns shoot far more accurate than the person shooting them is capable of. I would say just get one handgun and become intimately familiar with it. Let her go to a shop with a good selection and try a few out for fit to her hand. Some places you can rent guns and try them out. I would do this and try to find the largest caliber she is comfortable with. If this is going to be her first handgun I would also suggest something simple like a Glock or a revolver. No need confusing her just yet with safeties, decockers, etc. Personally I am partial to Glocks for their simplicity, ruggedness and consistent trigger pull. It is alot like a revolver but it does not have the heavy double action pull of a revolver. I also would not hesitate buying one used.

ckadiddle
01-27-2005, 11:33 AM
First off, I don’t know how much experience your wife has with shooting, but its my opinion that 95% of most quality handguns shoot far more accurate than the person shooting them is capable of. I would say just get one handgun and become intimately familiar with it. Let her go to a shop with a good selection and try a few out for fit to her hand. Some places you can rent guns and try them out. I would do this and try to find the largest caliber she is comfortable with. If this is going to be her first handgun I would also suggest something simple like a Glock or a revolver. No need confusing her just yet with safeties, decockers, etc. Personally I am partial to Glocks for their simplicity, ruggedness and consistent trigger pull. It is alot like a revolver but it does not have the heavy double action pull of a revolver. I also would not hesitate buying one used.
We both were around guns when we were kids, but hardly at all the last thirty years or so. Everything is new to us. We have been renting vaious makes and types at the range so far, and will be bugging friends to go with us and let her fire theirs a few times. We took a short class and learned what we were doing wrong, amazing how accuracy improves when you hold the gun and pull the trigger the right way. LOL This is definitely a work in progress. :cool: I didn't do as horribly as I expected to. We intend to eventually get our carry permits.

Marc
01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
We both were around guns when we were kids, but hardly at all the last thirty years or so. Everything is new to us. We have been renting vaious makes and types at the range so far, and will be bugging friends to go with us and let her fire theirs a few times. We took a short class and learned what we were doing wrong, amazing how accuracy improves when you hold the gun and pull the trigger the right way. LOL This is definitely a work in progress. :cool: I didn't do as horribly as I expected to. We intend to eventually get our carry permits.

As an FYI, get your carry permits before you even get the guns. It just make it a lot easier walking out of the store and not having to worry about whether or not you're complying not only with your state's laws, but any local laws that may exist and not be aware of.

Vortex
01-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Work: P228, 870 and Colt 9mm SMG

Play: P232, 1911 Com. Commander, Ruger Super Blackhawk and (for plinkin) a Hi-Standard .22. Plus a couple of rifles and a few shotguns.