PDA

View Full Version : MM Wins 6 out of 8 NHRA Street Legal @No Problem

sailsmen
07-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Went to No Problem for the Street Legal Drags, entered Domestic Eliminator. I talked a life long friend, Danny, into bringing his 1961 Black Impala, 409, 425Hp, Dual Quad, Muncie 4 Speed in like new condition w/ 89K miles.

Unfortunately the track manager had to move to another city due to an emergency so the event was not advertised resulting in a low turnout. It was 95* and 90% humidity! Everyone was running slow.

Several people complimented the MM and were surprised how fast she was running.

My Times were
ElapsedTimes - 14.365/14.395/14.365/14.41/14.315/14.322/14.398/14.367/14.346
ReactionTimes - .196/.160/.324/.112/.233/.068/.205/-.05/.204.

In the time trials;
My first run was againest a C-4 Corvette. My RT was .196 to his .440, but his 1,000' was 11.70 to my 12.002. He caught at the very end with a E/T 13.910 to my E/T 14.365, beating me by .2119!

I then slaughtered a modded Chevy P/U.

I then slaughtered some type of modded ricer.

I then went againest a Civic with a Acura Integra VTECH, 190 HP engine and Acura transmission and drag radials, ( I was shooting the bull with him and his dad in the pitts and I got a good look at his car, was a professional install). I knew I would have to have a good run, but felt I could beat him. I zone in on the 3rd yellow lite. It flickers, just about to completely lite and I hammer it, my R/T was .233 to his .444 and I crushed him on the E/T of 14.315 to E/T 14.689. His response was "THE V-8 GOT ME!".

My Dial in was 14.28, a large cloud had moved in and the temp was dropping.

My first B Race is againest a 10.49 Nitrous Camaro Z28 w/ Racing engine. He red lites and shuts it down, WIN for the MM.

My next B Race is againest a 12.84 SS Camaro that races a lot. I have an all black car, it's real hot, sweat is dripping down my face, my helmet makes it hotter but I know I will need a perfect R/T to get him, all those minor distractions are put into the empty box in my mind, I zone in on the 3rd yellow lite, I know as soon as it flickers I have to hit it, it just starts to flicker, I hit it and I have this sinking feeling because I know I hit it to soon, well I redlite @-.050! I zoned in so well on the third yellow that I reacted faster than I ever had before, too fast as it turns out!

My racing is over today. I head into the bar which has a great view of the start / lite tree. To check on Danny and get out of the heat. Danny buys me a Bloody Marry. He is squared away with a wrecker for the Impala and a ride for him and Doug.

A young lady who I race sailboats with and againest is in the bar. She is friends with the track owners wife ( they are both sailors), I race sailboats with and againest both of their first husbands. Danny is also a sailor. What a small world!

During the Time Trials on the first try Danny in the 1961 Impala revs it to 5,000 RPM and drops the hammer, a horrible grinding comes from the rear end, probably a stripped pinon. He pushes it to the side and arranges for a wrecker. I feel terrible, atleast there are no parts or fluids on the ground. I hang out with Danny to make sure he gets squared away. Another friend Doug is helping Danny arrange a wrecker.

I feel I have made enough trial runs and call Danny on the cell and tell him to meet me at the concessions near the staging lanes to make a run in my MM. I tell him how to stage her and to hit it when the 3rd yellow just begins to lite. While I am talking to him his wife calls and he tells her about the Impala and that I gave him my car to race.

Well Danny has a .013 R/T time, WOW! Danny runs a E/T 14.398!

Danny in High School used to run 125CC and 250CC Husquervana Motor Cycles in Moto Cross. He was very good and had a major soft drink company as a sponsor. He used to take the Husq out of the garage, start a wheelie in first, go thru all 5 gears on a wheelie, back down thru all 5 gears on a wheelie, do a U turn at the end of the block and back up thru all 5 gears on a wheelie, back in the garage at full tilt whith the front wheel never touching the ground all before the police could catch him!

We used to spend every weekend he wasn't racing the Husqies hopping up his Chargers, some were fast and some we messed up, but we had a blast!

It was a good day of racing and a great day for commradeship! I owe it all to the MM and this club! :bounce:

TAF
07-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Well done...but, my question is...who's chip did you have in??!!:confused: :D

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey, nice times. I guess it was the fact that there were so few racers there that enabled you to get so many runs in. That's nice when it happens like that. I hate it when you wait for hours, and you only get 2 runs.

sailsmen
07-11-2004, 06:21 PM
My first 2 runs were a Dennis Diablo and the rest were with the Todd/Jerry Dyno Chip and Racing fuel. It's definately a faster chip at the track, it's has a lot of torque. :rock:

TAF
07-11-2004, 06:23 PM
My first 2 runs were a Dennis Diablo and the rest were with the Todd/Jerry Dyno Chip and Racing fuel. It's definately a faster chip at the track, it's has a lot of torque. :rock:I just wanted to see this again...:banana2: :beer: :rock: :beatnik: :coolman: :banana: :cool: :banana2:

sailsmen
07-11-2004, 06:28 PM
It was the fewest cars I have ever seen. It also may have been yesterday they had a terrible storm with 4" in an hour, they told me you couldn't see the grandstands from the bar!

But I am told it did clear up quick after that.

Funny, but yesterday I took the wife and kids sailing. The storm was over land so I hung out in the lake until the windy part of it passed, but they wanted to go back in. So I say we can probably beat the bad rain,but maybe not.

As we are tying her up in the slip the sky lites up with lightning and it pours. The kids are in the van and the wife is down below and refuses to come on deck to help me put the boat up. At least we had our swim suits on and the rain cooled it off. Glad I had the van because the parking lot flooded.

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Hey, can you get me a chip to get the front wheels of my car off the ground??? :)

sailsmen
07-11-2004, 06:52 PM
No, sorry my front wheels are firmly planted; http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/3853

With that 60' time you are running your front wheels are probably already off the ground! :up:

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 09:04 PM
No, sorry my front wheels are firmly planted; http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/3853

With that 60' time you are running your front wheels are probably already off the ground! :up:
Don't I wish.:cool4:

Fourth Horseman
07-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Sounds like some great runs in less than ideal temp/humidity conditions, Sailsmen. For some reason I can't recall what you've got on your car, and the garage link isn't letting me in. What mods have you on your car?

sailsmen
07-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Thanks the times were my slowest yet. I thought maybe something was wrong, but I spoke to several of the regulars and they said they were running .4 less than they normally do. The street cars were not even laying rubber on launch!

We were all drenched with sweat, there were sweat drops all over my seats, so I had to clean the interior when I got home.

I have the chip,UD, Cobra exhaust, 4:10 and PI Convertor. When it's in the mid 70*'s I run low 13.9's. I can't wait till winter and a 50* w/ 50% humidity nite I think I can run a 13.6.

sailsmen
07-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Danny said after he ran the MM that it was "Gentlemen Racing". His Impala has no power steering, no power windows or door locks and no a/c. It came from the factory as a drag race car.

Danny also told me one of the trailered pro-stocks had a .000 R/T! :banana:

martyo
07-12-2004, 05:53 AM
One of the trailered pro-stocks had a .000 R/T! :banana:

That's psychic!

Fourth Horseman
07-12-2004, 08:45 AM
That's psychic!

Actually, that's probably about 2/3 experience, 1/3 luck. :)

BillyGman
07-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Actually, that's probably about 2/3 experience, 1/3 luck. :)
In Marty's case it would have to be 100% "Psychic". :D

THE_INTERCEPTOR
07-12-2004, 10:09 AM
. I hate it when you wait for hours, and you only get 2 runs.

Man that sucks for you. Any given Thursday or Sunday, during our local test & tune, I can get as many runs as I want.

One night I got in 17 runs. :up:

BillyGman
07-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Man that sucks for you. Any given Thursday or Sunday, during our local test & tune, I can get as many runs as I want.

One night I got in 17 runs. :up:
Hey that's great. You must live in Wyoming or something. :D