PDA

View Full Version : "Tint " $ and variations

Marauderman
01-10-2003, 07:10 PM
I realize that each state has different laws stating what is allowable regarding % tint --so can you each advise on your states allowable for front and rear tint and what you may have paid ($$) for it if put on by others- ( whats a good price and what is not!!) I need something to compare cost to/from------I want to tint mine darker and of course I will check prices and whats allowable for NC but is there a special way it should be done so as to sound smart rather than the exception when asking shops for the estimate for doing this type job..any helpful comments...cause all I ever see on our net is --yes --some one has it or will be doing it --in other words - is there any special knowledge to know before asking about having this work done-?? How do you know it won't "bubble up" afterwards?

Thanks from all of you--I know--I could have said " yu'all"
Just trying to be better ..it's a long weekend!!!

Slowpoke
01-10-2003, 07:12 PM
$160 ... rear passenger windows and back window 35% tint. Done by Pilen Auto Glass in Chicago.

Marauderman
01-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Slowpoke- Thanks-

The 35%? How did you come to that amount?

Marauderman
01-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Sorry for last remark--Of course --Ill must only allow 35%--what about the front? anymore than what came OEM?

FordNut
01-10-2003, 07:43 PM
$150, 35% legal limit, all except windshield

Slowpoke
01-10-2003, 07:53 PM
the 35% looked the nicest... not too dark, not to light. Illinois does not allow front passenger window tint. Some people do it, but it's against the law.

A good tinter will show you samples and probably have a few cars they are working on at the time you bring it in with various tints already installed. Pilsen Auto Glass had 9 or 10 bays to work on cars and there were 6 or 7 cars in the process of being tinted when I brought mine in.

I got the name of the company from my dealer who is not mod-friendly, but trusted nontheless.

hope this helps

slowpoke

TAF
01-10-2003, 08:01 PM
I have not done this yet but Wayne (03 Merc) got this and it looks GREAT. PM him if he doesn't see this thread.

I'm looking at doing this soon...

http://www.formulaone.com/

Cooper
01-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Massachusetts allows a MINIMUM of 35% VLT (visible light transmission) on side and rear windows. Important- Ford and Mercury window glass is already tinted as installed. I was warned by 2 different tint companies in Mass. that if I added 35% tint to what was already in the windows it would drop the VLT below the legal level. For that reason I chose the lighter 50% tint on my 2 Crown Vics.
Depending where you go in Massachusetts, the average price to professionally tint the side and rear windows for a Crown Vic (or Grand Marquis or Marauder) would be around $200- $225.

Donald
01-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Back window and rear door windows. $135.

One shade above limo blackout.

WolfeBros
01-10-2003, 09:55 PM
35 % All windows except windshield. $ 150

the fat bastid
01-10-2003, 10:38 PM
here in ny you can have the rear, and back windows as dark as you want. but nothing on the front windows of windshield strip (the top).
i did 5% on my honda using that cheap crap from strauss. after about a year the sun bleached to like 99%.

my friend got his stealth done (all windows) for $180 and they will rip it off the illegal windows (for inspections) and slap it back on for only $25..its good stuff and a good deal

SergntMac
01-11-2003, 02:16 AM
Illinois law is typically unclear (pun intended) about any degree of tint. It's all in the officer's judgement at the time, and vu meters or scopes are not required.

Chapel1 has a 35% tint and I do not see how one could claim that to be an obstructed view, however, absent any legal standard, one will never be sure. Because I park in the CPD HQ lot everyday, I've decided not to test the system with tint.

They're still trying to figure out the tire tracks across the the Supt's. parking spot.

Murader03
01-11-2003, 06:10 AM
Had mine done 20/35. Can't keep the numbers rigfht, but the dark went on the back doors and rear window. The lighter tint went on the 2 front doors. $215 for the entire package, lifetime nationwide warranty, with national dealership.

Logan
01-11-2003, 06:42 AM
To get quality tint work done, the formula is pretty easy. Go to a local shop that that's ALL they do, they have the most interest in doing the job right. Next, don't be cheap. Buy the BEST film they have. It's typically got UVA/UVB protection, a bunch of other stuff and always has a lifetime warranty on both the labor and the film.

I spent $200 on my tint job. Limo tinted all the rear windows, with a 35% tint on the front two.

FordNut
01-11-2003, 06:55 AM
As for legal issues, here in TN the pro shops have a certification sticker they can install stating the windows wer tinted by (shop name) in accordance with TCA(don't remember the number). It can help eliminate the judgement calls. TN also is limited to 35% all around (although I've seen lots of unmarked cop cars darker than that, along with lots of other folks sporting illegal jobs).

Racerx88
01-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Best bet is to go some place you're familiar with. I've been going to Pro Tint in Plano, TX since 1995. They've done five cars for me, and I've NEVER had any problems with the quality of the work. No peeling, no bubbles, nada.

You should always get the highest quality tint available. Prices can range from $100 for the cheap stuff to $225 for the high quality metalized stuff. Since I don't like the "mirror" window look of the metalized film, I went with their next best and it was $215 for all windows except the windshield. In Texas the legal limit for the front windows is 35%, and dark as you want in the back, I went with the legal all the way around.

By the way, Texas uses those compliance stickers as well. The put the sticker on under the film.

chapel1
01-11-2003, 08:36 AM
I have 35% tint and it's dark enough to look awesome and not so dark as to hinder your night driving.A shop is your best way to go.In Chicago it cost me$200 dollars for the rear and all side windows.That comes with thier guarentee,no bubbles if you find a problem bring it back.:coolman:

the fat bastid
01-11-2003, 02:35 PM
whos got a pic of a marauder with 35% on it?

Slowpoke
01-11-2003, 03:59 PM
look through the photo gallery of the Chicago Chickenfest. You'll see Chapel1's car with full 35% tint and mine with the back 3 windows tinted.

slowpoke

schuvwj
01-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Does IL. allow any tint at all, (other than OEM tint) in the front side windows? Is there a percentage that is legal in IL., 90%, 80% 70%, etc.?

SergntMac
01-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Bill..

No.

schuvwj
01-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Well, I guess I won't tint my windows.
You know I would never break the LAW!

chapel1
01-11-2003, 09:54 PM
With the Govenor we have what do you have to worry about?But don't break any laws on my account.AS Berreta said"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

chapel1
01-11-2003, 10:06 PM
schuvwj I know you were just kidding.So far I have over 5000 miles on my car and have had no hassles over my illegal windows.But,I would expect some if I get pulled over for some other reason.I've had state, city,and suburban police drive along or pass me by with out any attenion to my tint.Maybe being old[52] has it's advantages?:coolman:

SergntMac
01-12-2003, 02:43 AM
I was half kidding too, Bill, if you want to tint, follow Chapel1's plan and you should be okay, just not a promise. Worst case, is that sometime down the road, you may have to clear the front windows, back and rear are not regulated.

Donald
01-12-2003, 08:13 AM
chapel1

If the tint is so dark how would they know you are 52? ;)

chapel1
01-12-2003, 08:56 AM
Donald it really isn't that dark and I think the shade being the same all around makes it look "factory".Check out the photo gallery.I also think it blends into the Black Beauty so well you don't have a chance to figure out it's tinted?:coolman:

joflewbyu2
05-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Llummar 20% all around except windshield with lifetime warranty for $105 plus tax in florida. florida law for car is 28% light passage (35% reflective) front doors, 15% (25% reflective) behind driver as long as passenger side mirror installed. Down to the "as1" line on windshield when applicable. most places in florida are comparable on charge - approx. $100 with lifetime warranty.

Fourth Horseman
05-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Utah allows only 50% on the front side windows, so I went 50% all the way around. I'd like it a bit darker, but wanted to stay legal and I'm not a big fan of the back being darker than the front. I paid about $150 to have it done with a lifetime warranty.

mdmarauder
05-12-2003, 01:13 PM
I just took my 35% off all my windows. Got a repair order for it. Here in MD legal is 35% all windows. With the factory tint and the interior being so dark it doesn't pass the light meter. Think I'll leave it factory for a while and add the 50% next time.

LSonDubz
05-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Rates for tint vary on where you live. I can get top of the line film qith lifetime warranty any percentage for $130. I've seen some people pay up to $250 though in other states.

RCSignals
05-12-2003, 03:48 PM
It's all so silly when an SUV and Minivan can come with very dark privacy glass from the factory.
Who made up these current tint laws? I can understand regulating front Windows, limiting reflective tints, but....

LSonDubz
05-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
It's all so silly when an SUV and Minivan can come with very dark privacy glass from the factory.
Who made up these current tint laws? I can understand regulating front Windows, limiting reflective tints, but....

Very good question. Me and my buddy were arguing the other day about what % comes factory on minivans, I said 30% (which is legal here), he said 20%.. winds up it was 20%.... I don't see how having it from the factory makes it ok... heck lets tell them to send the marauder and other cars out with 5% from the factory.

nexstar7
05-12-2003, 05:06 PM
so whats the leagal limit in new york

duhtroll
05-12-2003, 06:27 PM
If you search the threads for window tinting I posted a site that had all of the state regs and provinces for Canada - I forget where it is now.

BTW here in IA we are not allowed to darken the front windows, and it costs over $250 to get it done all the way around (clear film on the front is OK and reduces UV by up to 90%). Perhaps this is something I should have done on my way to/from FL in order to pay less for the same thing?

Just a thought.

-A

jgc61sr2002
05-12-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by nexstar7
so whats the leagal limit in new york Nexstar - I checked a CVPI with a tint meter and the front door glass just past with the factory tint. I would think any additional tint on the front door windows is illegal. John

RCSignals
05-12-2003, 11:07 PM
LSonDubz

apparently it has to do with class of vehicle. Utility and trucks are excluded from tint laws.
It doesn't make sense. If tint laws are designed to allow Police to see into a vehicle and it's occupants, you can have more passengers in an SUV or van than a passenger car.

Marauderman
05-13-2003, 04:53 AM
My cop friend says he always determines( Don't know how) how many occupants and makes them show their hands out the window before approaching....would seem very difficult and dangerous--he agrees and used that method as best as he can
suppose.....probably easier to shine light into vehicel at night vs day...oh well, sorry about ranting on here...shouldn't have.... okay .. Tint--just do it --it makes the car look GOOD!

bnvus
05-13-2003, 05:20 AM
To get quality tint work done, the formula is pretty easy. Go to a local shop that that's ALL they do, they have the most interest in doing the job right. Next, don't be cheap. Buy the BEST film they have. It's typically got UVA/UVB protection, a bunch of other stuff and always has a lifetime warranty on both the labor and the film.

Couldn't have said it any better. DON"T SKIMP. I used to install window tinting and quality is what you pay for. Formulaone is an excellent product and I have had it on my Impala for the past 8 Years. I even took the optional insurance on scratches they offered and have not regretted it. They had to replace it twice after my daugter scratched it and then the rear window was busted out. As far as the percent. Don't go above 35%. It is tough to see out of at night. Had people come back and pay to have it redone because it was to dark (couldn't see if someone was sneaking up on them) or because the the local police were hassleing them.