PDA

View Full Version : Need help with gear oil

Brutus
07-19-2004, 07:33 AM
I am trying to order some Royal Purple gear oil for a gear swap, but I am at work and dont have my manual with me. Can someone tell me what weight and how much I need. Will one quart do it?? Thanks

Brutus

MENINBLK
07-19-2004, 07:39 AM
I am trying to order some Royal Purple gear oil for a gear swap, but I am at work and dont have my manual with me. Can someone tell me what weight and how much I need. Will one quart do it?? Thanks

Brutus

2004 Manual says...

Rear Axle Lubricant
Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant
2.2L (4.75 pints)

Buy 3 quarts to be sure...

RF Overlord
07-19-2004, 08:02 AM
^^^what MENINBLK said^^^

I just had my 4.10s installed a few weeks ago and gave the wrench 3 qts of Mobil 1 75W-90...he said it took about 2½...

Brutus
07-19-2004, 08:02 AM
2004 Manual says...

Rear Axle Lubricant
Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant
2.2L (4.75 pints)

Buy 3 quarts to be sure...
Hey, thanks for the quick reply!!

CRUZTAKER
07-19-2004, 08:15 PM
I have had RP rear gear oil in for a month now....is it just a coincedence that I am having an entire rear end replaced tomorrow due to burning up the posi-loc....?:rolleyes:

The world may never know.:shake:

MitchB
07-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I have had RP rear gear oil in for a month now....is it just a coincedence that I am having an entire rear end replaced tomorrow due to burning up the posi-loc....?

Did you give the gears any time for break-in?

Mitch

CRUZTAKER
07-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Did you give the gears any time for break-in?

Mitch
I've got over 15,000 miles on the gears....just finally did a lube swap.

BillyGman
07-20-2004, 07:18 AM
I have had RP rear gear oil in for a month now....is it just a coincedence that I am having an entire rear end replaced tomorrow due to burning up the posi-loc....?:rolleyes:

The world may never know.:shake:
I think this is, or should be a point of interest what Barry has brought up. We cannot draw any definate conclusions ofcourse since this might simply be coincidental as Barry has indicated. But as for me, I've always believed that the engine oil, transmission fluid, and rear end gear oil that the manufacture recommends for a vehicle, should be the one that is used, and that's what I stay with.

I once had a 1985 Mazda RX7 which as most of you know is a rear wheel drive car. And after I filled the rear end up with some allegedly special more advanced gear oil, the rear end started making noise about two months later. This was my daily driver at the time. And it got louder and louder until the rear end blew. I had put 70,000 miles onthe car before that, and I never had any problems nor symptoms w/the rear end of that car before that. I simply used the different gear oil as a preventative maintainance type of thing.

When it blew, the car just coasted to a stop, and when I got out to take a look, there were pieces of the rear end housing on the street as well as a trail of gear oil ending at a big puddle where the car came to a stop. I junked the car. No great loss anyway I guess. Was this coincidental? I didn't think so. I know that this doesn't neccessarily mean that using synthetic gear oil in your Marauder's rear end will cause premature wear or damage. Quiet frankly I'm just not too sure about that.

This is just some food for thought. I've decided to stick w/the manufacture's specified oils always. They must have reasons for their choices. Just my opinion folks. Take it or leave it. Nothing to argue about, since we don't have enough evidence here to draw a conclusion anyway.