PDA

View Full Version : Going to FFW Bristol ?

FordNut
07-22-2004, 03:19 PM
The FFW meet at Bristol was runner-up to Indy as the MVII partner event this year. Several members, especially the Southern contingent, have discussed going there even though it will not be the main Marauder event of the year. I'm planning to do both, Indy for practice then FFW for competition. Who else is still going to Bristol?

edit: OOPS, shoulda put the date in here too, it's Aug 6-8

Patrick
07-22-2004, 11:46 PM
I am hoping!!! If I can, can I make another test run???? :lol:

Haggis
07-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Will not be able to make it, it being so close to Indy. Even though I initally voted for Bristol, I was only able to choose one and it's MVII.

Have fun!! :rock:

frdwrnch
07-28-2004, 04:59 PM
I am confirmed for Saturday at least. If I get off work on Friday I'll arrive there in the afternoon. Look forward to doing a 1/4 mile run as I have yet to be timed on one. I hear "Thunder Valley" is the heat! I also look forward to seeing you again and talking about your '68 stang as well as MM Mods.

SergntMac
07-28-2004, 05:17 PM
I wish I could "promise" y'all I could make Bristol, I love FFW weekends. But, I cannot promise I will be there.

With MV-II just the weekend before, and my work schedule being so hetic and last minute like, well...Bristol has to wait until the days before get closer.

It's on my list with travel time included, but it's just too far ahead on my calendar to know for sure right now.

Hope y'all understand, my family is first, my job is second, and my Marauder is next.

Have a good time, eh?

Petrograde
07-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Missed your posts Sarge, glad to see ya back. Hope all is well!

Marauderman
07-28-2004, 07:24 PM
I have to work that weekend --so take alot of pics and write alot of stories so we can be there after the facts are over....Tom

frdwrnch
07-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Sarge, good to hear from you! I know you'll have a great time this weekend and of course we would like to see you @ FFW. Maybe I'll make MV3.

FordNut
07-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Schedule update here:

http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/news/dragway/441714.html

and here:

http://www.funfordevents.com/index.php?src=directory&view=Event%20List&srctype=display&back=Event%20List&id=442&submenu=Events&view=Event+List&pos=0,20,13&PHPSESSID=1ee6819e579717dd41bf ad29331d6a3e

I don't have a hotel room yet, if anybody else does let me know so we can try to stay at the same place.

I'm planning to run the time trials Friday, True Street Saturday, and True Street Brackets Sunday.

Patrick
08-01-2004, 01:01 AM
I cant go but you givem hell Brian!!!! I havent forgotten! Have a great time!

FordNut
08-01-2004, 08:51 PM
I just got a 10x10 EZ-up canopy to take up there. Don't have a banner so we'll have to work out some way to get together. So far it doesn't sound like it will be hard to find the Marauders since only 2 of us have answered "yes".

frdwrnch
08-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Is anybody familiar enough with the area that could recommend a good hotel?

FordNut
08-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Is anybody familiar enough with the area that could recommend a good hotel?
I have stayed at the Hampton Inn before. It has a decent breakfast included (continental including waffles) and it is clean and close to the interstate. It is not the closest to the track but the ones that are closest to the track are in VA so it's a little out of the way to get to them. Does that matter, though? I plan to drive straight up there Friday and go to the track, then at the end on Sunday, I will check out of my room and go to the track then leave after I finish racing.

I have not stayed at these others, but the host hotel for the event is Holiday Inn of Bristol, VA and they still indicate rooms available according to travelocity.

Nearby the Holiday Inn is the La Quinta, which is cheaper than the Holiday Inn and has a 3-diamond rating from AAA as opposed to the 2-diamond rating of Holiday Inn.

I have not made a reservation yet, but I plan to tomorrow. Somebody pick one!

FordNut
08-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Looks like the La Quinta for me and frdwrnch. I'll be going up first thing in the morning (assuming none of my cyclotrons break down tonight) and will scope out a spot for the canopy. Unload the trunk, go through tech, and start time trials. Gotta get the launch consistent.

FordNut
08-06-2004, 04:25 AM
Near perfect weather forecast:

High Friday 74
High Saturday 77
High Sunday 82

No rain

FordNut
08-08-2004, 07:54 PM
A rather dismal showing for Marauders as far as numbers. Only 2 members came (me and FRDWRNCH) with 3 cars (my wife and I drove up separately so we had both of ours). We made up for it in surprising performance and enthusiasm. We had a perfect parking spot for Marauder visibility. Tons of questions were asked by passers-by. They can't believe these big cars can compete with and even outrun some of their 'stangs. We do have respect. Both of us ran Street Ford class. I decided against True Street primarily due to the time involved (having to come back Sunday for eliminations: I had to make a quick trip to Georgia for work on Sunday).

During Friday's test and tune my best time was 14.25, rather disappointing after the times I turned at Indy, but I guess that's the effect of higher elevation. Saturday I only got one pass for getting my dial-in and turned 14.28, so I went with my best time from Friday. First round I was up against a 13-second Cobra and I lit them up off the line. Later found out the left lane was really slippery. Used a first-round buy-back to run again. Next time I was up against a supercharged '89 Mustang GT with a 14.20 dial-in. Pretty even match. Perfect launch, .159 reaction time, 2.06 sec 60'. I took him off the line and blew his doors off. Broke out with a 14.15. My day was done. At least I got a lot of track time on Friday during test and tune day. This is addictive.

FRDWRNCH was awesome. He had a 14.75 dial-in and pretty much nailed it every time. He made it to the semi-finals. Finished 4th in class. I'll save the stories for him.

frdwrnch
08-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Wow! What a great weekend! We had an awesome time at FFW Bristol. Met up w/Fordnut & wife the first afternoon and went out to dinner. Sat morning Fordnut and I went thru tech and waited a long time to finally get to run for time. I was lucky and got two runs in before the bell and Fordnut only got one run in and it wasn' t timed correctly making it more difficult for him to choose a dial in. We both entered the Street ford class. I figured I'd get a couple of runs in (at best) before I was eliminated to give me an baseline for 1/4 mile performance. My first run I raced a "67 Mustang and gave my best performance of a .011 RT and a 14.718 @94.77 versus his 16.649@80.85. We both broke out but my 14.75 dial was closer than his 16.80. The good RT earned me a By for the next round. Then I beat a supercharged Focus 14.788 vs his 15.932 but I had to brake to keep from breaking out. Next round I ran a 14.766 and beat a '89 mustang by virtue of his 14.518 on a 14.61 dial in.
Now my lucky streak turns; with five of us left, another guy got the By and I had to draw cards for lane choice. I drew a four of diamond and my oponent in a 351C powered '70 Mach 1 drew the jack of clubs. He promptly chose the right lane which relegated me to the dreaded left lane (right Fordnut!). I blew it with a .233 RT 14.839 to his .094 RT and 12.893.
I know I was extremely lucky to get as far as I did. But I knew to leave on the third yellow every time, put it to the floor and let the car do the rest. The car was so consistent it was amazing. At one point after my third win the announcer exclaimed "I've got to get me one of those!"
Like Fordnut said, Mercury Marauders were well represented and well recieved at this event and we hope more can be there next time.

frdwrnch
08-09-2004, 07:44 PM
P.S. check forum for pics.

frdwrnch
08-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Oops, I mean Gallery>

teamrope
08-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Way to Go Fordwrench!:rock: