PDA

View Full Version : hey computer guys!!!!!!

buckyboy
07-28-2004, 03:27 PM
How hard is it to create a website?..What are the costs involved?..I am completely ignorant about computers:confused:

MarauderMark
07-28-2004, 03:57 PM
It's all greek to me..But my son is a wiz at that stuff.he did one that i know of for a company called safe check but i can't find it when he gets home i'll post it..

Silver_04
07-28-2004, 04:06 PM
If you are logging onto the web at home, your ISP is probably already giving you somewhere around 10MB of free webspace. Go to you ISP's home page and look for a Web Design Help Center or something like that. You also need an FTP application for uploading files such as pics to your website. I like WSFTP.

For the most part a web page can now be made by just pointing and clicking options on your ISP's help site. Fortunately I know a tiny bit of HTML so I tend to skip the website build help and do things on my own.

Also, if you want to see how someone did something on a website, click on View at the menu at the top of your window and then click Page Source. But, the page source won't always show you everything...however it'll give you an idea of how HTML coding works.

Good luck and post your URL so we can oooohhh and aaaawwww at your creation :up:

buckyboy
07-28-2004, 04:15 PM
wait a sec..im not sure if we aare talkin bout the same thing..i dont mean a website for here(my car) its a totaly different thing...?

Silver_04
07-28-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm sure we are talking about the same thing. If you want to create a website for yourself, a hobby, a small business or whatever you are going to have to have website hosting space.

My ISP is Earthlink. They give me 10MB of webspace to do whatever I want to do with as part of my monthly dial up fee. I host pics on that website so I can post them here.

For example, right click on my signature picture and then click properties. Copy the shown URL and past it into a new browser window and click enter. You will then be taken to my website, specifically the page that my signature picture is posted on. If you delete everything after the ....~ctt9 in the URL you will be taken to the first page of my website. Mine's pretty crude because I just need web hosting space for pics.

ap2003
07-28-2004, 05:58 PM
I actually went a step further... for very little cost.

I bought my own URL... from godaddy.com $9/yr

I bought my own webhosting... from arivoo.com $3.33/month
50MB, 4000MB/Mo, 20 Mail, PHP, MySql, CGI, Perl, ControlPanel ,FP Webmail,Stats, FTP, POP, SMTP, Mail Forward

In all my research, these are the best prices that I have found. I have used these services for 2+ years

Now I have a website... that I really do not use... I bought it for the ftp, sql database and the the email addresses. Now I have control over my email addresses... I will never be tied to a specific ISP email address again..

I use either MS-Frontpage or Macromedia Dreamweaver to build web sites
$45 per year... not too bad.

MS-Frontpage can make building a nice "general site" as easy as using a word processor.

ap

SouLRioT
07-28-2004, 07:38 PM
How hard is it to create a website?..What are the costs involved?..I am completely ignorant about computers:confused:

BuckyBoy, what are you planning on doing? What everyone has said is good information, but we could give you more if you gave us the aplication you are planning using a web site for. BTW you can get 50megs of space from lycos.uk for web hosting free.