PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

Tallboy
08-03-2004, 08:53 AM
ok, here's the deal. i have a $500 gift certificate to sharper image. do i get the passport 8500 radar detector, or let the wife spend the gift certificate and pony up my dollars for a valentine 1?

valkyrie
08-03-2004, 09:01 AM
ok, here's the deal. i have a $500 gift certificate to sharper image. do i get the passport 8500 radar detector, or let the wife spend the gift certificate and pony up my dollars for a valentine 1?

It depends if the wife has something specific in mind!! If she doesn't then you spend it. Because it isn't really a purchase unless it comes out of your bank account. :cool4:

rookie1
08-03-2004, 09:30 AM

Boy oh boy, this is going start debate yet again.

My V1 recently went back to Valentine because it had stopped working, they have a deal where for $45 they'll fix it and send it back. I got it back in 3 days completely refurbished, new lenses, new case body, new cord, and they didn't even charge me, so, needless to say, I for one am extremely happy with their customer service.

In the meantime however, I had to haul butt to Jefferson City, MO due to a family emergency and borrowed a good friends 8500.......................... .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. ...................(sorry, i wanted to pause for drama) My verdict after living with both detectors is that I prefer the V1 simply because it's brighter and louder and to me the display is slightly easier to understand. Sensivity wise without doing a regulated test I rate both of them as more than adequate for my protection and they are both top of the line units.
The 8500 has an advantage with the addable laser unit that alot of users swear by. In my neck of the woods laser is still rare.

muslhed
08-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Get the Valentine One...that's where it's at! Make the wifey happy with a $500 shopping spree.....you might just get lucky! Now can you put a price on that?

hitchhiker
08-03-2004, 09:32 AM
The two radar detectors are about equal in performance. Be sure that the 8500 is the X50 model. (latest features)

The opinion on this site runs about 60/40 in favor of the V1.

I am quite satisfied with the 8500 X50 I recently purchased.

Best Regards,

David

03SILVERSTREAK
08-03-2004, 09:45 AM
The two radar detectors are about equal in performance. Be sure that the 8500 is the X50 model. (latest features)

The opinion on this site runs about 60/40 in favor of the V1.

I am quite satisfied with the 8500 X50 I recently purchased.

Best Regards,

David^^^What he said...:D^^^

MainEngDwarf
08-03-2004, 09:56 AM
I did some resarch on radar detectors before I bought mine. There is a web site that rates detectors, and the best part is that they also train the police in radar and laser use. They are independent, so they have no biases. If I can find the site I'll post it. But the 3 top detectors were pretty much equal in performance.

K40 - RD850
Valentine 1
passport 8500 ( the latest version)

Since they were all so close I decised to base which one I got the K40.
I've had it for 6 months now and am very pleased with it. But you can't go wrong with any of these three.

FiveO
08-03-2004, 09:57 AM
I've written several tickets to people using the Passports.

Never written or even stopped a Val 1 owner.

Even written a K40 owner whose jaw dropped when I pointed out the little LED's on his dash after he denied having one.

Go figure.

PS: Yes...I own a Valentine 1.

BruteForce
08-03-2004, 10:10 AM
FiveO, what's your professional opinion on the laser jammer/diffuser products on the market? Voodoo magic or useful "safety tool"? Is it readily apparent to an LEO that they're being jammed? I've got a V1 already and want some feedback other than from those who have already bought into the sales pitch since the "good" ones look to be pretty pricey when you factor in custom install.

FiveO
08-03-2004, 10:17 AM
The laser jammers/diffusers are illegal here in MN so we don't see them at all.

A trooper in our area arrested a guy with one....made the news here in Mpls....its that rare.

We're using some lidar...but I haven't had the chance to use it as its fairly new to the dept. and I'm no longer doing traffic stuff.

duhtroll had a nice laser diffuser on his MM when I met him in IA....where its still legal.

The trooper that did the training for me in our area said that if you don't get a reading...just change the area you're aiming for. We're taught to aim for the license plate...and most diffusers are on either side of it. Still doesn't mean you can't get a reading off of another part of the car.

If its legal in your area and you want to spend the $$...go for it. But its not a be all, end all of staying out of tickets....I've written many tickets that have stuck even with no radar reading...visual is all you need.
t
A laser diffuser may work...but if you're doing 90 in a 55....most cops will still be able to write you a ticket and get it to stick...even without a reading.

Just my thoughts and observations.

BruteForce
08-03-2004, 10:36 AM
... Just my thoughts and observations.

Thank you sir. :up:

duhtroll
08-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Since the 8500 has been rated as good or better than the V1, and it's FREE, it's a no-brainer.

I got a question for Mark, tho' --

What if I want to travel to MN? The ZR3 jammer is hard mounted in the car. I can certainly leave it turned off and the detector in a box in the trunk, but is that going to be convincing or will my car be impounded?

Just a thought. I suppose I can avoid MN . . .. Been doin' it for years. :lol:

Thanks,
-A

TooManyFords
08-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Mark, so reading between the lines.... You will let me know when and where you are on duty?? ;););)

< thread hijack alert! >

Oh, will you be down this Friday night for the all night street drags?

< /thread hijack alert! >

John

TooManyFords
08-03-2004, 01:29 PM

Give it to the wife! I'm sure you are guilty of something!

hehehe

FiveO
08-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Mark, so reading between the lines.... You will let me know when and where you are on duty?? ;););)

< thread hijack alert! >

Oh, will you be down this Friday night for the all night street drags?

< /thread hijack alert! >

John

Can't make it this weekend...sorry :( On call.

FiveO
08-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Since the 8500 has been rated as good or better than the V1, and it's FREE, it's a no-brainer.

I got a question for Mark, tho' --

What if I want to travel to MN? The ZR3 jammer is hard mounted in the car. I can certainly leave it turned off and the detector in a box in the trunk, but is that going to be convincing or will my car be impounded?

Just a thought. I suppose I can avoid MN . . .. Been doin' it for years. :lol:

Thanks,
-A

I wasn't going to mention it at CFR but don't come to MN with that thing.

Even off it would be tough to explain....but then again...you would actually have to get stopped and the officer would actually have to know what they're looking at and for...small chance on both.

IIRC radar detectors are illegal in VA. I wouldn't even have one on the dash and go through VA, even off. Same type of scenario.

Detectors are also illegal in Canada. Drove through there a few years back and had the detector in the trunk....just to be safe.

Back to the V1/ Passport discussion :)

Mad4Macs
08-03-2004, 03:11 PM

Man!!! Are you kidding??? I'd buy a ROOMBA Robotic Vacuum cleaner with that mad cash!!!
My Roomba rocks, and if you get a high end model with the remote control, you can even make it deliver beer to your favorite chair!!!
:rock: