PDA

View Full Version : 40,800 Chrysler 300C's

John F. Russo
08-06-2004, 10:17 AM
In the 8/16/04 issue of Forbes magazine, it was reported that 20,400 cars have been sold in the first four months of 2004. An they have in hand orders for another 46,000 more cars. (The article doesn't say explicity that the sales are all in USA but I think they are because in the insert in the article from which the above data came from said, "Yes, a hot-selling U.S. Sedan.)

The base price is $24,000 and fully loaded is $40,000.

Now how come this muscle car sold by the Germans is doing so well?

Ford has sold only close to 10,000 MMs in two years! You can look at it two ways- it is a rare car, but we will pay a price because of a lack of parts as the years go by.

I still get many heads turn when I drive my blue MM down the street. It is rare and it's a sharp looking car that will always get the stares. But I would not have bought the car in the black because it looked too sinister. But in blue, grey or red, this look disappears. I would not have bought a 300C because of the "Mercedes" upper class look.

(At 4:10 pm I changed the title from "300's" to "300C's" per RF Overlord's perceptive inquiry made later in this thread. The article did state that "...50%..." of the "...buyers were opting for the Hemi engine" which is the 300C version. So I took the above previous two 300 quantities-40,800 and 92,000- and reduced them by 50%. It is still a very large production quantity.)

Thank you Mr. RF Overlord.
______________________________ _____________________
2003 Dark Blue Pearl 300B (Canadian) w/Light Flint (reversed
traction control, mini spare, trunked 6 disc CD changer,
clock-in-the-radio, heated front seats/mirrors, hood light)
-Born 12/10/02; converted new then used 2/28/03
-23,000 miles
-18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph, one tank of gas
-Stock transmission (upgraded with Performance Automatic
clutches and band after stock tranny failed in 8,800 miles)
-Wheel locks (Ford); godshead valve stem caps
-Badgeless front grille by “Zack”
-Zaino waxing; RainX
Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion (450 hp) Born
3/28/03 (first drove it)
-Vortech supercharger (5 to 9 psig boost)
-377 RWTQ
-4.10 gears
-Baer front brakes 14 in., two piston, slotted/drilled rotors
-MMX Driveshaft
-Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3 Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3
-Ford Racing Stud and Girdle
-Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y; rear
255/50ZR18 102Y)
-Dead pedal
-FordChip
-3/4 of a coil from each front stock spring removed to produce
the “same” effect as an Eibach spring
-Ground clearance: 5 in.
______________________________ ___________________________
1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel (gone)

FiveO
08-06-2004, 10:20 AM
I'd much rather drive a rare car.

There are like 50 300C's and growing in my community of 20,000.

1 Marauder....mine.

jaywish
08-06-2004, 10:37 AM
I've already seen more 300's and magnums then I've ever seen of Marauders. Of course this is the definitiion of sucess. Selling like hotcakes.

They are nice cars. They didn't get the "muscle" look of the marauder. I think that is part of their sucess. They went for quiet refinement.

I guess I'm normally a little out of step with the mainstream.

Not always a bad thing.

I'm still looking to replace my 89 GM Colony Park wagon with a 90 or 91. Not with a magnum. It would be nice for the wife to use but just not my style.

dwasson
08-06-2004, 11:45 AM
But I would not have bought the car in the black because it looked too sinister.

Hmm, I thought that was the point.

TripleTransAm
08-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Well, styling is subjective. However, I must say that there isn't much about the 300C styling that gets my heart rate up like the Marauder does. It has a slight rake, but I'd hardly call it muscular. The short trunk makes it look stubby. The front end... well, I like the Magnum better, but not by much.

Hopefully it's just a phase... I wasn't too hot on the early 60s Chrysler look either (the Exner years?) so maybe in a few years they'll sack the current design guys and draw me a nicer looking muscle sedan.

RF Overlord
08-06-2004, 11:58 AM
In the 8/16/04 issue of Forbes magazine, it was reported that 40,800 cars have been sold in the first four months of 2004. An they have in hand orders for another 92,000 more cars.

John: I'm assuming these figures are total for all 4 versions of the 300, not just the 300C? There's a 300, a 300 Touring, a 300 Limited, and the 300C...only the 300C gets the Hemi; the middle 2 get a 3.5L V6, and the plain 300 gets a 2.7L V6.

John F. Russo
08-06-2004, 01:22 PM
John: I'm assuming these figures are total for all 4 versions of the 300, not just the 300C? There's a 300, a 300 Touring, a 300 Limited, and the 300C...only the 300C gets the Hemi; the middle 2 get a 3.5L V6, and the plain 300 gets a 2.7L V6.

Thank you for the comment.

I made the appropriate changes in the title and body of my original thread to clarify the actual number of 300C's made.

RCSignals
08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
What other options does a sedan buyer have from DCX right now?
Didn't they stop production of the Intrepid etc?

Also, who says the 300C is a "muscle" car?

TripleTransAm
08-06-2004, 03:47 PM
340 hp isn't 'muscle'??

SouLRioT
08-06-2004, 04:08 PM
not for nothing, but i'd compare the MM to the SRT-8 (when ever it comes out). The 300c to me is more like a CV with the HHP. I'm sure if you look at total panther sales it might be more on par with 300/magnum sales.

Marauderman
08-06-2004, 06:10 PM
I'd much rather drive a rare car.

There are like 50 300C's and growing in my community of 20,000.

1 Marauder....mine.
.......very well said Five-O----I too am the same way --except any car withing range of mine can hear me coming....kinda intimadating I suppose..but I'm still lurking--excuse me--looking for that 300 Hemi - to test out next to me---excuse me--sorry--shouldn't have said that---will let all know when it should happen though...--nicely--of course....Tom

Dan
08-06-2004, 06:35 PM
From a marketing point of view the 300C and Magnum are bread and butter cars for DCX. They are introducing completely new models here and obviously have a lot riding on them.

The MM was nothing near that in FLMs eyes. The MM is, to us, a lot more than a CV but to many others it is just a CV with extras. FLM has no where near the same amount of skin in the game with the MM. If the MM dies, so what? It was just a "hopped up CV anyway."

It is quite obvious to me why the 30o and the Magscum are being so heavily marketed.

Best,

Dan

Joe Walsh
08-06-2004, 09:37 PM
They just wrote an article in the local Newspaper about how well the Chrysler 300C is selling....seems that all the dorks who were dying to buy an ESCALADE are now dying to buy the 300C. They are claiming that it has gangster 'cache' and lots of 'bling'. Fine by me, it won't be too long before 300Cs are as common as Hondas and Toyotas. OOOOOH! YOU HAVE A SILVER ACCORD!!! HOW RARE!!! I HAVE A GREEN CAMRY!!!! OH YEAH! TAKE A LOOK AT MY WHITE 300 HEMI!!!!!

RCSignals
08-06-2004, 11:20 PM
....seems that all the dorks who were dying to buy an ESCALADE are now dying to buy the 300C.

That's not good NEWS for all those new ugly Cadillacs.......

Joe Walsh
08-07-2004, 05:54 AM
I agree...I'd rather see all the sales go to the Chrysler 300C than to those mutant 'back to the future' Cadillacs. I have to respect the HP that the HEMI makes. Cadillacs 'V' series have the Vette motor but GM is shoving that motor into everything they can.

ADE 1000
08-07-2004, 07:27 AM
Ford could only wish they had a car that is as successful as the 300C and newer Cadillacs. I like the look of the new Cadillacs and at least appreciate the novelty of the 300. Regardless if you like them or not, they are distinctly American and don't look like anything else on the road. And they have been very successful in attacting new buyers to both brands. Going the conservative route as Ford is doing is not going to get them anywhere. The only future non-truck product they have that I think will be a hit is the new Mustang, everything else is mediocre at best. The CTS-V is the only vehicle with LS6 motor aside from the Corvette Z06. In any case the vette motors are so good that they worth shoving in everything.

As many others have said, I am very happy that the Marauder is such a rare commodity. Despite having the wrong engine, it appeals to me in ways that no other car in market could. I would not buy a 300C just because aside from the rims and some chrome trim, it looks identical to the 2.7L 300s populating Thrifty and Dollar rental lots. The Marauder has a menacing bad*** look and unique big car feel to it that I don't think many other cars can match. The problem is that most people are so soft these days from driving around in their 325s, TLs, ES330s, and all those other female real estate agent cars that they just don't get it.

Silver_04
08-07-2004, 07:59 AM
... Cadillacs 'V' series have the Vette motor but GM is shoving that motor into everything they can.

And what's wrong with that? That means GM is actally making high horse power RWD cars.

But, currently only the CTS-V has the Corvette Z06 LS6. The new STS has a 4.6 Northstar as does the XLR and an STS-V is only a rumor at this point. The GTO is the only other car with a Corvette motor (LS1) in GM's lineup. :shake:

jaywish
08-07-2004, 08:25 AM
There are only 12 cars in the office lot today. Usually about 150 on a week day.

Today they include 1 blue marauder and 1 silver 300.

I can imagine over the next year or so I still won't have any trouble figuing out which car in the lot is mine. I'm not so sure about the 300 owner.

Great for Germany but nice for me. ;)

RCSignals
08-07-2004, 11:27 PM
One thing is for sure, and Ford should take notice, advertising works.
Ford marketing figured they didn't need to advertise the Marauder, arguing they didn't advertise vehicles from SVT either.
Unfortunately Ford marketing was wrong in grouping the thought of need to advertise the Marauder with their advertising plan for SVT.

RCSignals
08-07-2004, 11:33 PM
As many others have said, I am very happy that the Marauder is such a rare commodity. Despite having the wrong engine, it appeals to me in ways that no other car in market could. I would not buy a 300C just because aside from the rims and some chrome trim, it looks identical to the 2.7L 300s populating Thrifty and Dollar rental lots. The Marauder has a menacing bad*** look and unique big car feel to it that I don't think many other cars can match. The problem is that most people are so soft these days from driving around in their 325s, TLs, ES330s, and all those other female real estate agent cars that they just don't get it.

And that is just it about the Marauder. The "skin" is not new. The Marauder package was well done, however, and it has excited many people, who would not otherwise have given a second thought on a new car. The Marauder has appealed to a wide age range of buyers, surprising even Ford.
The sad thing is, after two years, there are still people just now discovering, and falling in want for, the Marauder.
Unless something drastic happens at Ford, we won't be seeing a recurrence for a long time.

Silver_04
08-08-2004, 06:27 AM
Ford was going to kill the Mustang and replace it with the FWD 4 banger and V6 Probe. Angry Mustang fans bombarded Ford with letters and look at where the Mustang is today, almost 10 years after it was supposed to be eliminated from the line up. If we want the Maraduer to come back we should employ similar tactics. Ford Mo. Co. marketing is out to lunch...I can't remember the last time I saw a cool car ad from them at all. Actually, I can't remember the last time I saw a car ad. It seems they just want to sell their trucks. We might need to give the marketing department a wake up call.

And there is no reason why SVT can't have a hot four door RWD under it's umbrella of products so they can pull in the Marauder and give it the attention and support it deserves. But Ford seems to be doing all it can to mess up SVT too. Considering GM and Chrysler have created new company wide performance divisions Ford finds itself with a performance division that has 0 cars in it for one model year. Brilliant.

TripleTransAm
08-08-2004, 06:28 AM
One thing is for sure, and Ford should take notice, advertising works.
Ford marketing figured they didn't need to advertise the Marauder, arguing they didn't advertise vehicles from SVT either.
Unfortunately Ford marketing was wrong in grouping the thought of need to advertise the Marauder with their advertising plan for SVT.

I somewhat detected a hint of arrogance in Ford's approach with the Marauder, and I was fearful that we'd end up in the situation we're in.

They proudly proclaimed "limiting" sales to 18000 a year, and the little advertising that did happen showed the car promising things it simply couldn't in complete stock form (tire smoking starts, irreverant comparisons to the torquey big motors of the 60s, etc.). And then before the game began, they just sat back... and this gives me the impression that they felt simply building the car would be enough to have folks knocking down their doors to get one.

I felt the same thing about GM and the new GTO. At first I was real glad to see the return of RWD performance to their lineup (especially after killing off the F-bodies) and was even happier to see another North American application of the LS1... but once I saw it and how plain it looked and how much they were asking for it... I'm not surprised they are selling as poorly.

We're seeing a new type of performance buyer... someone who wants FLASH (translation: bling?) along with the performance. Someone who wants something unique-looking, a fresh departure.

As I said before, I see a lot of those Hemis up here lately. I let one get in front of me out of courtesy yesterday, in a tight traffic situation. He got in front, saw an opening in the next lane and took it as well... as he repeatedly goosed the car to squeeze in, the rear tires barked immediately at each goose of the throttle. That says instant engine response to me... the kind I get out of my LS1. Seeing that, I know it's just a matter of time before I scrape enough cash together to get myself that tuning software and then hopefully I can tweak my MM enough to get that sort of low end improvement... hopefully. :depress:

John F. Russo
08-08-2004, 08:13 AM
What other options does a sedan buyer have from DCX right now?
Didn't they stop production of the Intrepid etc?

Also, who says the 300C is a "muscle" car?

In the 60's and, maybe earlier, the Chrysler 300 had lots of power as a luxury sedan. It was an American equivalent to the high powered luxury cars of today (Mercedes, Maybacks etc.).

They were not in the drag race circuit anywhere near as much as the Pontiacs, Fords, Dodges and Chevy's. These were the predominant muscle cars. Mercury was there, but not as much at the other cars.

Those in their 60's can chime in on my comments.

JohnE
08-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Not everyone wants to drive a oversized and overpriced SUV. And what fun is it to drive a sedan that economy cars can outrun (stock CV)? There's a real market for a full sized rear wheel drive sedan with muscle.

The 03 Marauder had no guts off the line. Anything else on the LM lot would beat it below 3,000rpm. Not exactly the 'muscle' image which was portrayed. But of course once rolling the DOHC 4.6 comes to life. Ford did finally improve the low end on the Marauder for 2004, but then spent zero $$ pushing it. And then there's the overinflated price they rolled out the gate with...

Just imagine if the Marauder came in two flavors from the start, same as 04 and a roots supercharged SVT version.

I really like the Magnum wagon, don't care for the 300C looks. Still love the Marauder looks.

RCSignals
08-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Ford was going to kill the Mustang and replace it with the FWD 4 banger and V6 Probe. Angry Mustang fans bombarded Ford with letters and look at where the Mustang is today, almost 10 years after it was supposed to be eliminated from the line up. If we want the Maraduer to come back we should employ similar tactics.

That is basically what Steve Babcock suggested people do if we want to see a return of a similar car.

RCSignals
08-08-2004, 10:51 PM
I somewhat detected a hint of arrogance in Ford's approach with the Marauder, and I was fearful that we'd end up in the situation we're in.

They proudly proclaimed "limiting" sales to 18000 a year, and the little advertising that did happen showed the car promising things it simply couldn't in complete stock form (tire smoking starts, irreverant comparisons to the torquey big motors of the 60s, etc.). And then before the game began, they just sat back... and this gives me the impression that they felt simply building the car would be enough to have folks knocking down their doors to get one.

I felt the same thing about GM and the new GTO. At first I was real glad to see the return of RWD performance to their lineup (especially after killing off the F-bodies) and was even happier to see another North American application of the LS1... but once I saw it and how plain it looked and how much they were asking for it... I'm not surprised they are selling as poorly.

We're seeing a new type of performance buyer... someone who wants FLASH (translation: bling?) along with the performance. Someone who wants something unique-looking, a fresh departure.

As I said before, I see a lot of those Hemis up here lately. I let one get in front of me out of courtesy yesterday, in a tight traffic situation. He got in front, saw an opening in the next lane and took it as well... as he repeatedly goosed the car to squeeze in, the rear tires barked immediately at each goose of the throttle. That says instant engine response to me... the kind I get out of my LS1. Seeing that, I know it's just a matter of time before I scrape enough cash together to get myself that tuning software and then hopefully I can tweak my MM enough to get that sort of low end improvement... hopefully. :depress:

With Ford/Mercury, I don't think that "arrogance" was with the people who developed the Marauder, it was entirely with Ford marketing. As has been said, Ford marketing is "out to lunch" I'll add "out of touch".
Marketing should exist as advisors to program and division managers, not have as much power to action their own ideas/beliefs about a product.

I said early on that GM was making a mistake announcing that the 2005 GTO was going to be "improved" before they even started selling the 2004.
A small article in autoweek indicates that 2004 GTO sales are poor, most potential buyers are waiting for the "improved" 2005, and to help sell 2004's GM will start offering a special hood with added "scoops" (apparently there is already a popular aftermarket hood for the 2004s)

Perhaps the 300C you saw "barking" it's tires has had some tuning? I haven't seen many here, but none I've seen have demonstrated that trait.
We saw one on the highway in Indy, and it's WOT run passed us was not impressive really.

I hope you do get the Marauder software. You are a brilliant and technically meticulous guy, and if anyone will come up with some new effective "tunes" for the Marauder, I know it will be you.

ADE 1000
08-09-2004, 08:59 AM

I think the comment above summarizes things pretty well.

Ford certainly did not put the best effort into marketing the Marauder after launch, although I thought the little advertising they did prior to launch did reach the right audience. A lot of my co-workers and friends were anxiously awaiting the launch of the Marauder. The problem was that after a test drive of early 2003s, they were really dissapointed with the straightline performance. The car certainly could not provide the tire burning launches they were expecting. The negative reviews in car mags and the inflated sticker price did not help either.

I don't think any amount of advertising would sell 18,000 Marauders at anywhere near the sticker price of $35K. Perhaps somehow advertising the actual transaction prices would help, because the car is a great value at $26-27K.

RCSignals
08-09-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't think any amount of advertising would sell 18,000 Marauders at anywhere near the sticker price of $35K. Perhaps somehow advertising the actual transaction prices would help, because the car is a great value at $26-27K.

That was a marketing decision, again. The Marauder wasn't supposed to be $35K originally. At the original $29,995 or so, they probably would have sold 18,000. But then it has also been said that Ford didn't really want to sell 18,000 of them.
They raised the price of all CVs/GMs too much. The CVSport was MSRPd at not far below the Marauders $35K. Ive seen Grand Marquis "Limited Edition" at higher MSRP than the Marauder, and that is just crazy.

You are right, at the current selling prices the Marauder is a steal. Why would anyone pass on one for a same or higher priced Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis?

TripleTransAm
08-10-2004, 06:30 AM
You are right, at the current selling prices the Marauder is a steal. Why would anyone pass on one for a same or higher priced Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis?

Agreed. With all the extra Marauder goodies on it, the Panther never had it so good safety-wise as with this black/blue/silver/DTR bomber. And now that the high(er)-performance sedan market is beginning to blossom once again, it's sad to see that Ford had nothing better to offer in a Car&Drivel 3-way shootout than the CV LX Sport. While I have reservations about the as-delivered factory-stock Marauder being able to have a shot at the top spot, I think the '04-spec MM could have beaten the Bonneville GXP when comparing the overall package, in that shootout.

We'll never know. Thanks, Ford... you've learned well from General Motors. :down:

RF Overlord
08-10-2004, 07:05 AM
OK, here's another viewpoint: I'm amazed that Mercury built this car AT ALL...we complain that there wasn't enough advertising, and that they didn't build enough (OK, SELL enough)...I'm actually GLAD they didn't...if I wanted balls-to-the-wall performance, I'd have bought a Bullitt...or an SVT Cobra...but ANYONE can have a Mustang, and everyone DOES, it seems. I could have bought a Lightning...but it's a TRUCK, for Godssake...unless you know what you're looking at, it looks like every other pickup truck out there, and there are MILLIONS of them (pickups) out there. An SUV, you say? Get lost...they're a blight on the earth :uzi: and should all be crushed. I bought this car because it fit my needs PERFECTLY, and I'm GLAD it's unique, even if everyone else thinks it's a Grandma-rquis...I know better, and that's all that counts.

RCSignals
08-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Agreed. With all the extra Marauder goodies on it, the Panther never had it so good safety-wise as with this black/blue/silver/DTR bomber. And now that the high(er)-performance sedan market is beginning to blossom once again, it's sad to see that Ford had nothing better to offer in a Car&Drivel 3-way shootout than the CV LX Sport. While I have reservations about the as-delivered factory-stock Marauder being able to have a shot at the top spot, I think the '04-spec MM could have beaten the Bonneville GXP when comparing the overall package, in that shootout.

We'll never know. Thanks, Ford... you've learned well from General Motors. :down:

True, but since there is an '04 Marauder, Car and Driver could have included one in that test.
(but then that might have been admitting they were wrong about the Marauder ending production with the 2003 model ;) )

RCSignals
08-10-2004, 04:03 PM
OK, here's another viewpoint: I'm amazed that Mercury built this car AT ALL...we complain that there wasn't enough advertising, and that they didn't build enough (OK, SELL enough)...I'm actually GLAD they didn't...if I wanted balls-to-the-wall performance, I'd have bought a Bullitt...or an SVT Cobra...but ANYONE can have a Mustang, and everyone DOES, it seems. I could have bought a Lightning...but it's a TRUCK, for Godssake...unless you know what you're looking at, it looks like every other pickup truck out there, and there are MILLIONS of them (pickups) out there. An SUV, you say? Get lost...they're a blight on the earth :uzi: and should all be crushed. I bought this car because it fit my needs PERFECTLY, and I'm GLAD it's unique, even if everyone else thinks it's a Grandma-rquis...I know better, and that's all that counts.

Well said :up:

Bluerauder
08-10-2004, 04:23 PM
I bought this car because it fit my needs PERFECTLY, and I'm GLAD it's unique, even if everyone else thinks it's a Grandma-rquis...I know better, and that's all that counts.
RF Overlord,
Agreed. I am quite happy with my Marauder and am glad that it stands out from the crowd of blah-blah and so-so models that all look like one another. Folks stop and ask about my MM all the time -- in the parking lot, in the gas station, and even at red lights. I can guarantee that ain't happening to the Camry, Lexus, Accord, or even 300C crowd. The Marauder just oozes confidence on the road. And, when I see another one -- it is a special event - cause it don't happen every day or every week (unless you happen to be a MV II where they were all over the place). :up: :up:

1 BAD 03 MM
08-10-2004, 06:46 PM
I understand where everyone is coming from about the lack of advertising for our beloved cars. All I can say is look at the link below. I for one am glad to see Ford putting money into a program that surely won't put back what they spent, to kick Ferrari's ass in a head to head competition. Can't remember where but saw an article on TV, they said it wasn't even close.

I'm saving my money now :up: Ford fan forever.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/media_gallery.asp?gallery=CURR ENT_VIDEO&bhcp=1

jerrym3
08-11-2004, 06:00 AM
I don't agree at all with their statement on the MSRP of the Lincoln LS. I just got mine, and it's loaded(V8 Sport/moonroof/heated-cooled seats/6 in dash CD player/traction control/selectshift trans/5 speed automatic, etc) with an MSRP of less than 41K. Sure, you can find LSs for 47K list (and Grand Marquis over 30K list), but that's not the norm.

Over 10K off list didn't hurt, either.

TripleTransAm
08-11-2004, 08:02 AM
True, but since there is an '04 Marauder, Car and Driver could have included one in that test.
(but then that might have been admitting they were wrong about the Marauder ending production with the 2003 model ;) )

Why bother?
So I could pick up the issue, read about the Marauder coming in second place, and run out to order one and.... ..... ..... ......

(ie. you CAN'T order one).

I understand that there are plenty to be had as leftover stock, but I guess C&D can't run around and inventory a car before deciding to put it in a comparison.

Which leads to another point... it's usually up to the manufacturer to provide a car for a comparison, from what I understand. What are the chances Ford would have provided a new Marauder for the test in question?

I have no love for C&D's arrogance but let's not get carried away with conspiracy theories.

RCSignals
08-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Why bother?
So I could pick up the issue, read about the Marauder coming in second place, and run out to order one and.... ..... ..... ......

(ie. you CAN'T order one).

I understand that there are plenty to be had as leftover stock, but I guess C&D can't run around and inventory a car before deciding to put it in a comparison.

Which leads to another point... it's usually up to the manufacturer to provide a car for a comparison, from what I understand. What are the chances Ford would have provided a new Marauder for the test in question?

I have no love for C&D's arrogance but let's not get carried away with conspiracy theories.

Given how far back the test was probably done, there is no reason Ford couldn't have provided both. (the article gives the impression it was pre-300C and GXP release for sale to the public)
But then if you read the article, it says basically that "Ford" said the Sport was all they had to offer. That's probably true from ford, who didn't bother thinking of a product from their own Mercury Division. (or an LS from Lincoln)

Don't worry Steve, no conspiracy theories.
It'd have been interesting to see just where C+D would have "placed" the Marauder though ;)

Reading the wording of the comparisons is interesting, seeing how they spin and sugar coat the same things they don't like about the 330C or GXP that they slam about the CV.
But then that kind of journalism is typical of C+D

ADE 1000
08-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Given how far back the test was probably done, there is no reason Ford couldn't have provided both. (the article gives the impression it was pre-300C and GXP release for sale to the public)
But then if you read the article, it says basically that "Ford" said the Sport was all they had to offer. That's probably true from ford, who didn't bother thinking of a product from their own Mercury Division. (or an LS from Lincoln)

Don't worry Steve, no conspiracy theories.
It'd have been interesting to see just where C+D would have "placed" the Marauder though ;)

Reading the wording of the comparisons is interesting, seeing how they spin and sugar coat the same things they don't like about the 330C or GXP that they slam about the CV.
But then that kind of journalism is typical of C+D

I have rarely seen any magazine bother testing a lame duck model. In any case, the best the Marauder could have hoped for was a second place finish. But there is also a good chance it might have ended up in third just like the CV. I could really care less about the fact that the Marauder wasn't in the article.

The LS V-8 would have been a good option and I believe would have fared well. Its starting price is only $2K more than the GXP, and it would have certainly out accelerated and out handled it.

TripleTransAm
08-12-2004, 07:17 AM
I liked the LS V8's I've rented so far. I think it deserves more press than it's received in the past while. I cannot express the driving pleasure I experienced with them (only surpassed by my enjoyment of the Marauder) and they re-awakened my interest in 4door RWD V8s that handled decently. I think Ford needs to hire more outspoken marketing folks to go out there and "get in people's faces" when it comes to magazine coverage... as it is, I basically forgot the car is still being produced (and I certainly don't know what it looks like nowadays).

jerrym3
08-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Just took ownership of a Lincoln LS 8 Sport last night. Very impressed with the car's features, power, and handling. Price was just too good to pass up. Car has more features than my 03 TBird.

Now the bad news. "Check transmission" message came on at 22.7 miles. Car's in my driveway; will be in the dealer's on Saturday.

I guess it's the law of averages. Except for free oil changes, my TBird has only been back to the dealer once since spring 2003. The manual hand brake boot had to be changed.

TripleTransAm
08-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Now the bad news. "Check transmission" message came on at 22.7 miles. Car's in my driveway; will be in the dealer's on Saturday.

Did the 'harness guy' from STAP get relocated recently? ;)

So, did you check the transmission? Is it there? :lol:

jerrym3
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Transmission? Is that that thingy that sits between the rear wheels?????

All seriousness aside, my wife noted somewhere in the paperwork that the trans is made in France. (That explains the error message.) Please don't tell Bill O'Reilly.

We boycott their wine and buy their transmissions. (Wonder if the Jag 6 speed auto trans is French made. English built product, American owned corporation, French trans? That car will definitely need a shrink.)

mercury_1988
11-27-2007, 05:42 AM
I think after discontinuing the Marauder . I think Mercury should have kept Marauder as a special package . Grand Marquis M and put the mercury god instead of mercury logo like the mustang a horse . Put 5.0 Liter 400 BHP .

ChiTownMaraud3r
11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, they should have had god's heads instead of the damn mercury waterfall. And should have shoved the 5.4 in it, (I know i know, clearance issues blah blah)

RaceLegend79
11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Is this not America, there is not a single person here that wouldnt agree that if it was truly wanted by FOMOCO that the Marauders would have had the SC 5.4 but they didnt want a big 4 door sedan blowing the doors off their beloved pony car that for a time outlived and out did the Camero!

DeepSea117
11-27-2007, 07:04 PM
What the deuce? Is this a retrospective?