PDA

View Full Version : Used Police Cars

AndyB
08-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Can anyone give me the pros/cons of buying a used Crown Vic Interceptor that was a police car? It is a 1997 with 122k on it.

FiveO
08-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Might want to find out if it was used as a Trooper/Sheriff car or a Police Dept. car.

The trooper/sheriff cars are used at higher speeds and in my opinion are in better shape engine wise with all the highway miles.

Used PD cars are all stop/go miles and alot of accelerating/stopping so the brakes are usually rougher.

Just my opinion.

hitchhiker
08-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Can anyone give me the pros/cons of buying a used Crown Vic Interceptor that was a police car? It is a 1997 with 122k on it.

Hi!

I agree with getting a highway miles car. Also sometimes Chief's cars also
become available. They usually have carpet instead of rubber and are optioned a little nicer while still being a CVPI interceptor.

I use this search to check out the CV Police Vehicles on ebay from time to time.

I was going to get a CVPI and then decided on the Marauder.

The search is sorted by lowest mileage first.

I have actually seen some new CVPI's from time to time which were great but the sale to the Police Department fell through. This provided the opportunity to actually buy a new CVPI in the $20,000 price range!

Check it once in awhile and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Here is the link:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/Police_Ford_W0QQcatrefZC3QQcom bineZyQQfromZR2QQfromZR9QQsaca tegoryZ6010QQsamotorscategorym apZ6001QQsas_partneridZ2QQsoco lumnlayoutZ3QQsosortorderZ1QQs osortpropertyZ8

Best Regards,

David

RCSignals
08-06-2004, 03:04 PM

122K isn't necessarily a lot for a CV, if it was well maintained.
As others have said, what it was used for will have a big impact as well.

I have one with just over 60K for sale

AndyB
08-06-2004, 03:09 PM
I haven't seen it yet. I wqas told it was a canine car, so I expect interior not the best, but I am only concerned with drive train, suspension, etc. I drive my 2003 MM too much, so want a cheap, reliable 2nd car. They are asking $2000, bluebook on a the same Crown Vic is about $5000.

RCSignals
08-06-2004, 03:19 PM
I haven't seen it yet. I wqas told it was a canine car, so I expect interior not the best, but I am only concerned with drive train, suspension, etc. I drive my 2003 MM too much, so want a cheap, reliable 2nd car. They are asking $2000, bluebook on a the same Crown Vic is about $5000.

A Canine car probably had a platform installed instead of the rear seat. The rear door panels etc might be a little rough.
Likely only had city driving as well. But the price isn't too bad.

jefferson-mo
08-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Just make sure you crawl underneath and get a good look at the frame and suspension..............I bought an '89 once that drove funny after I bought it and found a LOT of impacted mud and scrapes all over the frame. Took quite a while to get it straightened out. It was a San Diego PD car but musta been in the Mex Border Area.

SouLRioT
08-06-2004, 04:00 PM
if it was a k-9 car, they might have installed a new back seat. I know my department makes the cars up for auction like new. They also get top dollar for them too though.

jgc61sr2002
08-06-2004, 05:08 PM
The unmarked ones used by detectives are in the best conidition. They are usually not on the road for 24/7.

FiveO
08-06-2004, 05:21 PM
K-9 Cars also have a notorious smell in hot weather....be careful.

They can shampoo the interior all they want....its almost impossible to get it all out.

Marauderman
08-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Everyone is basically right--but I think Five-O has it on the mark the most---your best bet is to look for a used CV with about 99K to 103K miles...and the best ones are the troopers, sheriffs, and fire chiefs...cause they are assigned and not driven by different drivers..or likely abused so much.....anyway..as previousely said,,you also need to check as much physical underneath as possible--befoe buying if possible....been there done this..so...problem is you don't always get a chance to do all of these things ...so..a good check of the engine and underneath and inside as said before and outside body can tell alot ....if you get a chance to drive it ...well.... even better to decide..........good luck...and this one your reference---- I'd go look for a younger one.......and not a K-9 used one for sure...........Tom

RoyLPita
08-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Check the front end. Ball joints, idler arm, Pitman arm, inner & outer tie rods do wear out on these.

Plus, how long can you live with the stench of wet German Sheppard? :lol:

Marauderjack
08-07-2004, 04:48 AM
Nobody hit on the fact that most LEO cars run 8-10 hours a day in that they idle the whole time they are not driven!!?? :o

Someone awhile back made this observation and stated that you could easily double the miles on the ODO because of this?? :confused: I don't know about double but I'm sure the hours on the engine would be significantly higher than on a private vehicle with the same miles on it!! ;)

BTW....I have put over 200K miles on two CV's and we still drive one with 185K miles on the clock!! No real problems other than Ford brakes and small stuff!! I cannot complain at all about Ford durability......from a CV point of view :rock:

Marauderjack :D

MarauderMark
08-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Just another place to look..http://www.vorshlag.com/CrownVicGT.asp

SILVERMARAUDER
08-07-2004, 08:36 AM
THE CV'S take a beeting!