PDA

View Full Version : Gearhead help needed

Paul T. Casey
08-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know the approximate weight of a complete Ford 5.0L engine (302c.i.). I have 2 to store, transmissions to be detached and will buy the appropriate stands. Also, any tips for storage, other than keep them lubricated, back off valve spring tension, drain all fuel. Thanks in advance.

SergntMac
08-09-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm going to guess the weight at between 425 and 450 pounds, depending on specific configuration and attached accessories. I can't guess your needs for long term storage, so, I have no prep advice to offer.

BillyGman
08-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Maybe 400lbs, I dunno....but as far as the storage, I'd call a local engine building machine shop to get their viewpoint. I'd efinately put some type of oil in the cylinders, by removing the sparkplugs, and squirting a couple ounces of either Marvel Mystery oil, or even just light weight motor oil in each cylinder, and then turning the engine over a few times by hand just to sprad it around the cylinder walls. But do that after disconnecting the fuel pump, or the gas lines so that the oil on the cylinders doesn't get diluted by any gasoline.