PDA

View Full Version : KVR 14" Group Buy

FordNut
08-10-2004, 12:49 PM
I spoke with Dennis about the possibility of a group buy on the KVR brake system. The fronts are 14" rotors, either drilled or slotted (not sure about getting both), the rotors bolt to the center caps (I believe they're aluminum) which are available in red, black, blue, or (not sure about this one) silver. They come with 2-piston front calipers (forgot to ask what color the calipers are), kevlar pads (no, they're carbon fiber), braided stainless brake hoses for all 4 wheels, and high temperature silicone brake fluid. All this for $1450 + shipping, a $150 savings!

Add the rear rotors and kevlar pads for a 4 wheel brake upgrade (original calipers are retained) at the same time and get it all for $1600 + shipping! (sorry, I misquoted this: it is $1650)

We only need 5 buyers to get this deal, so who else is with me on this?

Some comments: The KVR kit does not need wheel spacers, does not have thin rotors, does not need special thinner wheel weights, does not have a history of pulsating, does not require any grinding of the steering knuckle for clearance, and is available for immediate shipment rather than backorder.

Pictures to be posted by Dennis, links will be added.

edit: correct kevlar pads to carbon fiber, rephrase "warpage" to "pulsating", correct price for complete 4 wheel kit

sailsmen
08-10-2004, 01:31 PM
I have had the front KVR rotors and pads since march. The preformance increase is significant.

Good grabbing and pedal control.

gonzo50
08-10-2004, 01:33 PM
I spoke with Dennis about the possibility of a group buy on the KVR brake system. The fronts are 14" rotors, either drilled or slotted (not sure about getting both), the rotors bolt to the center caps (I believe they're aluminum) which are available in red, black, blue, or (not sure about this one) silver. They come with 2-piston front calipers (forgot to ask what color the calipers are), kevlar pads, braided stainless brake hoses for all 4 wheels, and high temperature silicone brake fluid. All this for $1450 + shipping, a $150 savings!

Add the rear rotors and kevlar pads for a 4 wheel brake upgrade (original calipers are retained) at the same time and get it all for $1600 + shipping!

Some comments: The KVR kit does not need wheel spacers, does not have thin rotors, does not need special thinner wheel weights, does not have a history of warpage, does not require any grinding of the steering knuckle for clearance, and is available for immediate shipment rather than backorder.

How you doing, FordNut ?
I'm glad you stepped up to the plate on this, because I spoke with Dennis yesterday and he suggested I do the same......to see if there is any interest in the KVR kit. :up:

You must have talked with him longer because your info is more complete.
I didn't feel comfortable asking members to go in on a group buy without the complete info. :shake:

He said that the calipers come in Black and the rotors won't rust.....don't know what type of coating it has, he didn't say. :confused:

Also, are the front and rear rotors the matching set ? :coolman:
I thought the brake pads were from Hawk Performance and not kevlar.

I'll have to see if there is any real interest in this kit to hopefully bring the price down some....the more interest, the better bargain. IMHO :beatnik:

FordNut
08-10-2004, 01:42 PM
How you doing, FordNut ?
I'm glad you stepped up to the plate on this, because I spoke with Dennis yesterday and he suggested I do the same......to see if there is any interest in the KVR kit. :up:

You must have talked with him longer because your info is more complete.
I didn't feel comfortable asking members to go in on a group buy without the complete info. :shake:

He said that the calipers come in Black and the rotors won't rust.....don't know what type of coating it has, he didn't say. :confused:

Also, are the front and rear rotors the matching set ? :coolman:
I thought the brake pads were from Hawk Performance and not kevlar.

I'll have to see if there is any real interest in this kit to hopefully bring the price down some....the more interest, the better bargain. IMHO :beatnik:
As for the rotor coating to prevent rust (zinc washing, I believe), I forgot to ask that detail. The front and rear rotors match (drilled or slotted). Since the front calipers come in black, some black epoxy paint (G2 or Eastwood) will quickly make the stock rear calipers match. I was driving while talking to him so my notes aren't that great, but I was almost certain he said kevlar pads. That's what this thread is all about, to get all the answers and gauge interest.

SergntMac
08-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Nice work on the package and post, Nut. If I didn't already have the Baer stuff...

pacammer
08-10-2004, 02:20 PM
I have the drilled rotor setup, front and rear on my DTR MM, I am very happy with the performance.

Gary

gonzo50
08-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Here is the KVR front brake kit that KVR has made for our cars, this a two piece directional rotor with aluminum hats in either cross drilled or gas slotted, the hats come in Black Red Blue or Silver.
This is a complete kit with braided steel lines fully loaded twin piston aluminum caliper with Carbon fiber pads and brake fluid

This is a very good kit, there is no delays in waiting on these kits and you do not have the issues that a lot of Bear kit owners have such as warped Rotors.

I have had the front KVR rotors and pads since march. The preformance increase is significant.

Good grabbing and pedal control.

I have the drilled rotor setup, front and rear on my DTR MM, I am very happy with the performance.

Gary
Dennis posted this Thread in the Garage Forum on the 7 Aug 04, and I was under the assumption that the 14" KVR kit was new......

sailsmen, and pacammer already have this kit....are we talking about the same 14" Rotor & Caliper Kit. :confused:

Also the pads are carbon fiber. Thanks.

FiveO
08-10-2004, 03:15 PM
I have the older version KVR brakes on my MM. New drilled rotors and pads...stock calipers (I believe).

The previous owner put them on after purchasing them from Dennis back in late February.

This 14" kit looks like a new kit.

sailsmen
08-10-2004, 06:07 PM
I only have the front KVR rotor and KVR carbon pads. :up:

The kit above also includes new front aluminum dual piston calipers and ss brake lines. :banana2:

Dennis Reinhart
08-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Ok these are brand new Rotors they are two piece directional rotors, the hats are aluminum they come in blue black silver or red, they are cross drilled or gas slotted, this is a complete kit. Front rotors, both front and rear Stainless steel brake lines Crabon fiber pads Synthetic brake fluid, the rear rotors are 90.00 apiece the carbon fiber pads are 70.00 if you buy the front kit from KVR its 1700.00 I will sel it for 1600.00 if I can get a group buy going I will drop this to 1450.00 if you want a complete kit for all four wheels its 1650.00

Now I feel this is very good kit I like the looks of the Bear kit, till KVR came out with this kit, with the Bear kit many members here have had issues with the rotors warping and some members have waited six weeks or more on the Bear kit. Also there is very little clearence in between the Bear front calper and the rim so that the factory wheel weights will not clear they do with the KVR kit

http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/session/00-00-1091913716-finished.jpg

So its what ever you want, I can get these kits right away they come with a full warranty and I really like the looks of this kit the rear rotors are plated.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/session/00-00-1091915204-caliper.jpg

FordNut
08-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the clarifications and pics Dennis.

FiveO
08-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Yup...thanks Dennis...appreciate the info.

I've got the older KVR brakes now but may upgrade come spring.

Gotta get my straight line stuff in order first.... :) Then come twisties and stopping!

sailsmen
08-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Are the rotors in the new KVR kit different than the KVR rotors previously offered?

Dennis Reinhart
08-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Are the rotors in the new KVR kit different than the KVR rotors previously offered?

yes they are 14" with dual piston calipers

FordNut
08-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Anybody else interested? Basically the same specs as the Baer but includes braided stainless hoses (and rear pads if you get all 4 wheels), is easier to install, and is available for immediate shipment.

valleyman
08-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Anybody else interested? Basically the same specs as the Baer but includes braided stainless hoses (and rear pads if you get all 4 wheels), is easier to install, and is available for immediate shipment.

I'm interested; actually more than interested: all four wheels, drilled, black hats. What do I have to do?

FordNut
08-16-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm interested; actually more than interested: all four wheels, drilled, black hats. What do I have to do?
Sounds like we have 3 possible buyers (me, you, and Gonzo), need 5 to get the deal going. Unless anybody has contacted Dennis directly without posting, we need 2 more.

valleyman
08-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Sounds like we have 3 possible buyers (me, you, and Gonzo), need 5 to get the deal going. Unless anybody has contacted Dennis directly without posting, we need 2 more.

I guess we need to flood all the forums with photos of wrecked Marauders for sale on ebay to get folks motivated. You know, wreck=not stopping fast enough=need for better brakes=jump on this deal. :lol:

stevengerard
08-19-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm very intersted, I ususally start with safety features first. I just need to watch the spending on this car for a bit.

TripleG
08-20-2004, 03:59 AM
I use my MM all year round. IF I get this upgrade will I have trouble when I change over to the Winter Trie package (Snow Tires with 16" Wheels).

Dennis Reinhart
08-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Well thanks for all the interest I took a sale in today so lets get four more and I can start having these drop shipped it is a great kit

FordNut
08-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Well thanks for all the interest I took a sale in today so lets get four more and I can start having these drop shipped it is a great kit
Who ordered? One of us (valleyman, gonzo50, fordnut)? or is that #4?

valleyman
08-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Who ordered? One of us (valleyman, gonzo50, fordnut)? or is that #4?

It wasn't me.

drobin
08-20-2004, 06:23 PM
It was me. I never can resist a great deal when I see one. Come on guys, save yourself some money and order a great brake package from a straight up guy.

drobin
Donald

FordNut
08-20-2004, 06:34 PM
It was me. I never can resist a great deal when I see one. Come on guys, save yourself some money and order a great brake package from a straight up guy.

drobin
Donald
Alright, sounds like 4 then. I'll see Gonzo50 at breakfast tomorrow and we'll talk about placing our orders, probably on Monday.

FordNut
08-23-2004, 07:37 AM

drobin
Donald
I placed my order today.

Come on folks, lets get moving on this!

valleyman
08-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Ordered mine this morning -- well, it was morning West Coast time, even if it was afternoon in Florida.

drobin
08-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Come on GONZO 50, do it if you haven't already.

drobin

FordNut
08-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Come on GONZO 50, do it if you haven't already.

drobin
I reckon Carlos is waiting for the rest of us to be Guinea Pigs. We need a couple more volunteers.

Some info I found from talking with KVR.

The rotor blanks are nodular iron. They are machined, balanced, and assembled to the hats. The fronts are painted, the rears are cadmium plated to match. Slotted holds the heat in while cleaning the pads, drilled cools while cleaning the pads, blank holds heat in and does nothing to clean the pads. Blank ones will last the longest as will the pads with blank rotors, but the possibility of brake squeal is higher. Slotted or drilled will also make noise, but it is more of a brake grinding type noise. This is normal. The carbon fiber pads are made with carbon fiber rather than carbon powder as most carbon compound pads are made. This reduces dust. These pads are great for street use, but not so great for racing. For racing KVR can supply some different pads which will take more heat and abuse, but they also REQUIRE more heat to work. This is not great for the street because cold brakes could cause you to not be able to stop. The braided stainless steel lines are DOT rated and the brackets are also made of stainless steel. The DOT 5.1 fluid is from Ferodo, and 3 bottles come with the kit, which is enough to purge the entire system.

stevengerard
08-26-2004, 03:35 PM
great info thanks! I ordered a set as well.

FordNut
08-29-2004, 09:07 AM
OK, that's 4 confirmed orders.

One more...

FordNut
09-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Anybody else?

Dennis Reinhart
09-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I have 4 confirmed I really need, 5. I have taken this on faith and so has KVR and they have sent out the first two sets and the next two will go the first of next week, again I appreciate your orders and patients in this, the end result will be worth the wait.

drobin
09-02-2004, 08:12 PM
I have 4 confirmed I really need, 5. I have taken this on faith and so has KVR and they have sent out the first two sets and the next two will go the first of next week, again I appreciate your orders and patients in this, the end result will be worth the wait.

Dennis,

Can't wait and will advise all after install. Stay tuned gang.......

drobin
"Donald"

Dennis Reinhart
09-20-2004, 07:07 AM
Every ones kit was supposed to have been sent out last Monday, I just called Gary at KVR he has apologized over the delay and will be sending every ones kit out three day delivery I am sorry for the delay I am trying to stay on top of every thing plus at the same time get moved into the new building, I appreciate every ones understnading and support.

Dennis,

KVR Performance has run into some minor production problems with our machine shop. This has placed a strain on getting the spacers we need for the Marauder 14.0" kits in a timely fashion. I have endevored to correct this problem in 2 ways, 1) by getting another run of parts in line before we have this order in hand, 2) by asking the machine shop to leap frog this order to the front of the line ahead of other orders that I had placed prior to yours, and delay my stock orders by 2 days. I hope this is satisfactory as I always try to maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with all of our dealers.

Gary Skanes
Sales Manager
KVR Performance Inc.
https://www.kvrperformance.com/world/world.html

drobin
09-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Every ones kit was supposed to have been sent out last Monday, I just called Gary at KVR he has apologized over the delay and will be sending every ones kit out three day delivery I am sorry for the delay I am trying to stay on top of every thing plus at the same time get moved into the new building, I appreciate every ones understnading and support.

Dennis,

KVR Performance has run into some minor production problems with our machine shop. This has placed a strain on getting the spacers we need for the Marauder 14.0" kits in a timely fashion. I have endevored to correct this problem in 2 ways, 1) by getting another run of parts in line before we have this order in hand, 2) by asking the machine shop to leap frog this order to the front of the line ahead of other orders that I had placed prior to yours, and delay my stock orders by 2 days. I hope this is satisfactory as I always try to maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with all of our dealers.

Gary Skanes
Sales Manager
KVR Performance Inc.
https://www.kvrperformance.com/world/world.html

Dennis,

When can we expect shipment?? Please advise !!!!!!

drobin

Donald

Dennis Reinhart
09-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Donald I will call Monday, if I have any power since we are in the path of the latest Huricane, there closed today. Again I did talk to Gary last week and he said he was sending the sets out and I aologize for the delay the spacers were on back order, now after this these kits will be in stock, once I am in the new building I am going to expand my inventory and keep items like this in stock ready to ship out same day.

drobin
09-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Dennis,

Thanks for a prompt reply and I shall be patiently waiting on shipment....

drobin
"Donald"

FordNut
10-08-2004, 01:09 PM
I got mine today (actually they tried to deliver 2 days ago but I was not home to sign for the pkg) and they look nice. Not sure when I'll get them installed, waiting for my caliper paint. The calipers are black but it's kind of a flat black and won't match the glossy black on the rear calipers.

Another question some have asked about the calipers, is how are they any better than the stock ones since both these and the stockers are two piston calipers. They are aluminum instead of cast iron (or steel, whatever the OEM ones are) and have larger pistons. They are actually make by PBR, a highly regarded Australian brake manufacturer. Coincidentally I just saw a display of some of their stuff at the Pigeon Forge Mustang show last weekend and they are opening a US manufacturing facility soon.

drobin
10-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Has anyone installed the KVR Brake Kit and would like to comment... Received mine but unable to install until two weeks from now. Any suggestions on how or how not to install, etc.

drobin
"Donald"

valleyman
10-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Has anyone installed the KVR Brake Kit and would like to comment... Received mine but unable to install until two weeks from now. Any suggestions on how or how not to install, etc.

drobin
"Donald"

I, too, would like to hear of any "do's" or "do nots," since it's been thirty years since I took off a rotor and caliber (thirty years? how can I be that old?) Still waiting for my brakes to come, as I told Dennis there was no real hurry.

FordNut
10-14-2004, 05:43 PM
I'll post as soon as I get them on. Probably be the end of the month, or maybe this weekend... If I do it now, they'll have to come back off when the caliper paint gets here, but what the hey.

drobin
10-15-2004, 07:11 AM
I hope to have mine installed by weekend of Oct. 23. Can't wait and will advise all ASAP. Thanks......

drobin
"Donald"

FordNut
10-16-2004, 03:55 PM
I couldn't get mine done today at the ATL event, folks from farther away got priority (quite understandable and acceptable to me) but we did get to do a side-by-side comparison with a Baer kit. Exactly the same calipers, same casting numbers, etc. Both are modified, but in different manners. Details listed...

Calipers: Baer has a new hole drilled & tapped for the lines (probably so the OEM lines will fit properly), a plug in the original line connection hole, and BAER lettering machined into the front surface. KVR has a couple of ribs machined off to clear the mounting bracket and some grinding of the "guide" (whatever the steel loop around the caliper housing is called) to clear the steering knuckle instead of having to grind the steering knuckle down for clearance as is needed for the Baers. The KVRs use the original hose connection since they come with new stainless lines (apparently with a little different geometry from the OEMs) and new banjo bolts.

Mounting brackets: The Baer bracket is one piece, L-shaped aluminum about 1/2" thick. It has a notch machined in it to clear the fins on the caliper. The KVR brackets consist of a flat aluminum plate about 1/2" thick, 2 large round spacers, and 4 shims. Apparently there is a very minor difference in the position of the mounting holes to make the KVR calipers mount a little closer to the spindle rather than the Baer position which is so close to the wheel that special low-profile wheel weights have to be used. Visually, it only looks like about 1/16" difference, but maybe that's enough.

Front rotors: A different number of cooling fins, both are directional, and a different number of bolts attaching the hats to the rotors. The hats are a little different, the Baers are flat against the rotor, the KVR has notches between the bolts. Maybe insignificant, maybe some difference in heat transfer from the rotor to the spindle? Baers are slotted and cross-drilled, KVRs are one or the other, not both. Baers are zinc-washed, KVRs are cad plated with painted fins.

Rear rotors: Very similar, KVRs are totally cad plated black (looks anodized) while the Baers are zinc-washed with the centers painted.

Rear pads: KVR kit comes with carbon fiber pads which match the compound in the front pads. Baer kit did not include rear pads.

Lines: KVR lines come with new banjo bolts and washers, have laser cut stainless steel brackets, and are DOT approved. Baer kit did not include lines.

Fluid: KVR kit comes with 3 bottles of Ferodo DOT5.1 silicone fluid. Baer kit did not include fluid.

Pictures were taken and should be posted later, then I will post a link. I am anxious to get them installed.

maraudernkc
10-16-2004, 05:26 PM
How many mile on the Eliminator/ I use to hae a red one. My favorite was my VMAX

I have a new R1 now.

I spoke with Dennis about the possibility of a group buy on the KVR brake system. The fronts are 14" rotors, either drilled or slotted (not sure about getting both), the rotors bolt to the center caps (I believe they're aluminum) which are available in red, black, blue, or (not sure about this one) silver. They come with 2-piston front calipers (forgot to ask what color the calipers are), kevlar pads (no, they're carbon fiber), braided stainless brake hoses for all 4 wheels, and high temperature silicone brake fluid. All this for $1450 + shipping, a $150 savings!

Add the rear rotors and kevlar pads for a 4 wheel brake upgrade (original calipers are retained) at the same time and get it all for $1600 + shipping! (sorry, I misquoted this: it is $1650)

Some comments: The KVR kit does not need wheel spacers, does not have thin rotors, does not need special thinner wheel weights, does not have a history of pulsating, does not require any grinding of the steering knuckle for clearance, and is available for immediate shipment rather than backorder.

Pictures to be posted by Dennis, links will be added.

edit: correct kevlar pads to carbon fiber, rephrase "warpage" to "pulsating", correct price for complete 4 wheel kit

FordNut
10-16-2004, 05:42 PM
How many mile on the Eliminator/ I use to hae a red one. My favorite was my VMAX

I have a new R1 now.
Only about 8k on it. It's a black one. Yeah, the VMax is wicked, they're both real tire burners! Just got it about a year ago. Got problems with it right now, but don't have time to work on it... don't have time to ride it either. Working my life away...

David Morton
10-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Called DR today and will be getting the KVR full 14" Monty.

Q: Can I use my soon-to-be old brakes (7-8,000 miles) on a '97 GM? I gave my old Grand Marquis to my mom and it has appx. 50,000 miles on it. I want to know if I can keep these parts for an upgrade for her car.

FordNut
10-27-2004, 08:23 PM
I couldn't get mine done today at the ATL event, folks from farther away got priority (quite understandable and acceptable to me) but we did get to do a side-by-side comparison with a Baer kit. Exactly the same calipers, same casting numbers, etc. Both are modified, but in different manners. Details listed...

Calipers: Baer has a new hole drilled & tapped for the lines (probably so the OEM lines will fit properly), a plug in the original line connection hole, and BAER lettering machined into the front surface. KVR has a couple of ribs machined off to clear the mounting bracket and some grinding of the "guide" (whatever the steel loop around the caliper housing is called) to clear the steering knuckle instead of having to grind the steering knuckle down for clearance as is needed for the Baers. The KVRs use the original hose connection since they come with new stainless lines (apparently with a little different geometry from the OEMs) and new banjo bolts.

Mounting brackets: The Baer bracket is one piece, L-shaped aluminum about 1/2" thick. It has a notch machined in it to clear the fins on the caliper. The KVR brackets consist of a flat aluminum plate about 1/2" thick, 2 large round spacers, and 4 shims. Apparently there is a very minor difference in the position of the mounting holes to make the KVR calipers mount a little closer to the spindle rather than the Baer position which is so close to the wheel that special low-profile wheel weights have to be used. Visually, it only looks like about 1/16" difference, but maybe that's enough.

Front rotors: A different number of cooling fins, both are directional, and a different number of bolts attaching the hats to the rotors. The hats are a little different, the Baers are flat against the rotor, the KVR has notches between the bolts. Maybe insignificant, maybe some difference in heat transfer from the rotor to the spindle? Baers are slotted and cross-drilled, KVRs are one or the other, not both. Baers are zinc-washed, KVRs are cad plated with painted fins.

Rear rotors: Very similar, KVRs are totally cad plated black (looks anodized) while the Baers are zinc-washed with the centers painted.

Rear pads: KVR kit comes with carbon fiber pads which match the compound in the front pads. Baer kit did not include rear pads.

Lines: KVR lines come with new banjo bolts and washers, have laser cut stainless steel brackets, and are DOT approved. Baer kit did not include lines.

Fluid: KVR kit comes with 3 bottles of Ferodo DOT5.1 silicone fluid. Baer kit did not include fluid.

Pictures were taken and should be posted later, then I will post a link. I am anxious to get them installed.
Never got the pics posted, gotta talk to Donny about that...

I got my caliper paint, plan to get the painting done tomorrow and install the kit Saturday.

FordNut
10-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Calipers are painted, rears are now black and I painted over the anodized black on the fronts so they match. Have an appointment Saturday morning 8:00 am to have the whole kit installed. My chief mechanic advised to stick with DOT3 fluid. Reason: DOT3 is organic, DOT5 is synthetic and they are not compatible. The MM and most cars with ABS and/or TC have an electronically controlled hydraulic unit that is esentially connected in parallel with the main braking system. He says there is really no way to totally purge the hydraulic unit, so you will for sure have some mixing of the 2 types of fluid. Unless you're really into racing, the DOT3 is more than adequate anyway.

HotrodMerc
10-28-2004, 09:19 PM
'Nut, can you tell me what the current status of this kit is through DR in regard to price and availability? I just came across this thread today. Am very interested in the kit, though not in a great hurry. Is this still a thing that would take another group purchase? I can contact DR if that's easier for you. Appreciate all of your good info. on the kit. Thanks, Joe

SergntMac
10-28-2004, 09:36 PM
'Nut...Thanks for the great side-by-side comparasion between the two kits, nice job!

Yes, Baer and KVR both use the same front caliper made by PBR, neither vendor produces their own calipers in house. I too have encountered the dual inlets that allow for switching between the OEM brake lines and SS lines...My SS lines are from ToddTCE, installed with likewise concerns solved with new banjo bolts and spacers, and switching places with the bleeder valve.

I didn't know we could step up to DOT5 synthetic brake fluid due to our ABS system...Thanks! I'll look into this again too.

Nice work, bud, keep it up?

FordNut
10-28-2004, 11:34 PM
'Nut, can you tell me what the current status of this kit is through DR in regard to price and availability? I just came across this thread today. Am very interested in the kit, though not in a great hurry. Is this still a thing that would take another group purchase? I can contact DR if that's easier for you. Appreciate all of your good info. on the kit. Thanks, Joe
Dennis didn't set a specific cut-off date. Call him tomorrow, the prices quoted in this thread should still be good. I believe we have just reached the specified minimum of 5 sets for the GP, so you will be #6.

FordNut
10-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Finally got mine installed. The front calipers really do clear standard stick-on wheel weights. I painted my rear calipers with caliper paint so I thought it would look better to paint the fronts to match. Wrong: should have just left them alone with the anodized finish. Oh well, live and learn. I chose to go with DOT 4 fluid instead of the DOT 5 that came with them because the DOT 4 is compatible with the OEM DOT 3 and DOT 5 is not. See post #49 in this thread for explanation. I gotta contact KVR to see how the colored fins work. I've seen other rotor makers who use the heat sensitive paint and at some temperature it changes color, the two paint colors change at different temperatures, you can tell if you're overheating your brakes (maybe needing to select different pads, especially useful for racing.

Pics of installed system are here:
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5979
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5980
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5981
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5982

They'll really stand the car on its nose!

Gotta get onto Donny to post the KVR/Baer kit comparison pics.

drobin
11-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Fordnut,

What brake bleed procedure did you use to purge the ABS etc, from having air in lines???? Someone advised me to use the scan tool that activates the entire brake in order to accomplish this... Help !!!!!!

drobin
"Donald"

FordNut
11-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Fordnut,

What brake bleed procedure did you use to purge the ABS etc, from having air in lines???? Someone advised me to use the scan tool that activates the entire brake in order to accomplish this... Help !!!!!!

drobin
"Donald"
Sorry, I'm no help, I had it done at Team Ford and they used the pressure bleeder. All was bled and ready to go without starting the car or pumping the brakes!

FordNut
11-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Just about need a 5-point harness now. Made a hard stop and it just about submarined me out of the seatbelt. I just thought I had good brakes before!

David Morton
11-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Fordnut,

drobin
"Donald"I don't have a power bleeder so I will use the gravity method. I've done this many times before on active 4WAL systems and here's the best way I've found to go about it.

First, suck or sop some fluid out of the Master cylinder so you don't spill any fluid when you squeeze the old calipers getting them off. Don't spill a drop! Then use a coathanger to hang your calipers out of the way while you install the rotors. Don't open the lines yet. After the rotors are on, install the new front calipers, and then the new SS braided hoses to the calipers with new banjo nut washers and torque to specs. Topping off the master cylinder and the top secured, take off the c-clip that secures the old hoses to the bracket where they connect to the steel lines and then, quickly, disconnect the old hoses from the lines and connect the new SS braided hoses (through the bracket) and tighten. Check the master cylinder and do the other side. Make sure the Master cylinder never gets too low and you'll not have to worry about the 4WAL valve/motor assembly getting any air. After the new hoses are on and the c-clips back on, you can break the bleeders, one side at a time, and just wait until you get only fluid coming out. Don't forget to keep the Master cylinder at least half full. Go easy tightening the bleeders because they don't need much torque, inch pounds here, and flush them and anything else off with water because that stuff's bad news anywhere on the outside of the brake system. Same drill for the old rear calipers, and you're all set.

In case you forget and do get air inside the 4WAL, call the tow truck, unless you have access to a "scan tool" that can enable the 4WAL after it defaults, as it will. This means you'll go back to standard brakes. I would take a car that had this condition, set up the scan tool to return the system on command, get the car up to 40mph on a dirt road, and execute the command just before I do a panic stop. Ususally it would do it's anti-lock stuff automatically bleeding every drop of air out of the valves.

If there is air inside a caliper, it will be delayed on a stop, so test for air in the front by going 40mph on a straight flat road and let go of the steering wheel before you hit the brakes. You don't have to hit them hard. If it goes left at first, there's air in the right caliper. Right first, air in the left. Back calipers, do a hard stop on a dirt road and go back to look at the tire marks for the slow caliper.

FordNut
11-02-2004, 10:37 AM
More pics posted here:

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5993
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5994

David Morton
11-13-2004, 09:44 PM
FordNut, I know what you're talking about now! I got my KVR 14" upgrade yesterday, installed it today and it is awesome!

I painted my calipers and their carriers gloss black. Oh, and the fluid that comes with the kit is DOT 5.1, a polyalkaline glycol that mixes well with DOT 3 and is compatible (also absorbs moisture and eats paint). I pushed out most of the old fluid and just filled the M/C to send the rest of the old DOT 3 to the showers.

The front end dips like, and the car stops like a 2000 lb. ricer. Can't wait to show it off at the Sunshine State Marauders meet on the 20th!

FordNut
11-15-2004, 09:16 PM

Finally got the pics comparing the KVR and Baer kits:
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6114
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6115
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6116
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/6117

studio460
12-01-2004, 01:42 AM
December 2004 Group Buy:

Dennis . . . where are we as far as starting a new group buy for the entire KVR set as of December 1, 2004?

Dennis Reinhart
12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Well we can do this just let me know

maraudernkc
12-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Dennis, do you have photos of the front and rear installed that you can post?

Well we can do this just let me know

Dennis Reinhart
12-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Here they are on my car

http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/caliper.jpg
http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/finished.jpg

hdwrench
12-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Here they are on my car

is there beer in that coke machine in the background? I see a beer box next to it lol. :)

:beer:

maraudernkc
12-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Dennis,do you have a photo of th rear?

Thanks, Greg

Here they are on my car

FordNut
12-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Dennis,do you have a photo of th rear?

Thanks, Greg
Check out the links in post #53 of this thread.

David Morton
02-25-2005, 10:42 PM
I want to encourage anybody reading this thread to buy this kit.

It is a pure bolt-on and makes no compromises on the wheel weights or anything else.

Swept area on the front rotors increases from 214" to 316" square, a 48% increase and that feels like a 100% increase in power.

You can't imagine the stopping power until you've experienced it in a car so equipped. The ABS computer goes nuts trying to keep the rears from locking up under moderately heavy pedal pressure and the fronts chime in when you're under maximum effort.

The one drawback is that you will get rear-ended unless you learn to watch your back! Nobody out there has a snowballs chance in hell of keeping up with you, but this has turned out to be a good thing for me because knowing this has made me follow other people with that "2 second rule" rigidly observed.