PDA

View Full Version : SUVs losing popularity

dwasson
08-13-2004, 09:54 AM
The Detroit Free Press says that the SUV market is slowing.

da Freep (http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/suv13e_20040813.htm)

Brutus
08-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Wonder if it is related to gas prices???

BillyGman
08-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Maybe this just has to do w/my personal preferences, but atleast around where I live, when I go to the Ford dealers, more than half of their lots are taken up by SUV's, and pick up trucks. As a car enthusiast, it's kind of frustrating, or discouraging for me to be browsing in the dealer's lot, and see that less than half of the vehicles there are cars. Not to mention that of the cars that they do have, most are wrong-wheel-drive cars. So for me, I'll be glad when fads such as the SUV fad, come to an end already. There's such a glut of them on the road as it is.

I know that everyone has the right to spend their money the way they choose, but everyone is so truck crazy these days, that it causes the car manufactures to place most of their emphasis on trucks instead of on cars. (just venting, don't mind me)...

Bluerauder
08-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Might be a combination of gas prices and sticker shock !!!

I was checking out Lincoln Navigators the last time my MM was in for service. L/M has the Navigator MSRP'd at $63+. :eek: Of course, that is the loaded version with the entertainment package. Lincoln Aviators are in the $47+ range. They are quite pricey even for Expeditions and Explorers. Personally, I don't see how so many are sold at those prices. I still remember being flabbergasted when cars started to break the $10 K barrier in the 1979-1980 timeframe.

Brutus
08-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Maybe this just has to do w/my personal preferences, but atleast around where I live, when I go to the Ford dealers, more than half of their lots are taken up by SUV's, and pick up trucks. As a car enthusiast, it's kind of frustrating, or discouraging for me to be browsing in the dealer's lot, and see that less than half of the vehicles there are cars. Not to mention that of the cars that they do have, most are wrong-wheel-drive cars. So for me, I'll be glad when fads such as the SUV fad, come to an end already. There's such a glut of them on the road as it is.

I know that everyone has the right to spend their money the way they choose, but everyone is so truck crazy these days, that it causes the car manufactures to place most of their emphasis on trucks instead of on cars. (just venting, don't mind me)...

I agree and will even say that probably a large number of people got trucks and suv's because there is not a great selection of RWD cars to choose from.

dwasson
08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
If the Detroit Auto Show was any indication the car companies have seen this on the horizon and are preparing for it. It looked like everyone had a new station wagon out or soon to be released. Now, most of them weren't called station wagons (the silliest was Sport Activity Vehicle) but we know a wagon when we see one.

jgc61sr2002
08-13-2004, 11:55 AM

Most definitely.

RF Overlord
08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
...probably a large number of people got trucks and suv's because there is not a great selection of RWD cars to choose from.

I agree 100%, Brutus...most Asian cars are now incredibly ugly, while most American cars are either too bland or they look like something out of a video game. Most drivers could give a fig about whether a car has rear-wheel drive or wrong-wheel drive, though...

The Boston Globe every Saturday has many full-page ads for local car dealers that feature 16 "squares" in a grid. That's space for 16 separate vehicles to be promoted in each ad. EVERY SINGLE WEEK, a minimum of 12 squares in every dealer's ad is taken up by...wait for it...SUVs and pickups...2 are usually vans...guess how many that leaves for cars...

People still believe the myth that SUVs are safer than cars (because it's a TRUCK, right?!) even in the face of mounting evidence to the contrary.
From the linked article: "the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released reports showing SUVs are more likely to roll over than cars or minivans and that more people died in SUVs on U.S. highways last year, even though deaths in every other type of vehicle declined."

Silver_04
08-13-2004, 03:44 PM
SUV's are teh loser.

Although I will come clean and admit my liking for Caddy Escalades. But that would only be used to pull my cars around :).

SergntMac
08-13-2004, 04:49 PM
I agree and will even say that probably a large number of people got trucks and suv's because there is not a great selection of RWD cars to choose from.
Well, that's my excuse.

I loved the concept behind the Ford Explorer when it first came out, I've always fancied station wagons for their hauling power. I'm in my PD's Pipe Band and I do lots of hauling of band equipment when we travel. But, I didn't like the power train choices of the Explorer's early years and I waited.

When Mercury released the first AWD V8 Mountaineer, I bought a loaded '97 and beat on it for quite a while. No problems. I followed that with a another loaded '98 and beat on that, again no problems.

I stepped up to a loaded '02 Mountaineer, but brought it back because it was too "soccer-mom" now. Power had been trimmed, my '97 and '98 had the 302 engine, and the '02 had a 4.6L 2V, and it was a lot different in the low end. The audio system really sucked too, and it there are two things I need to have, it's power and music. The dealer said it was the Mach II audio system, and I later told him "you mean mock too." Plus, I paid for features I would never select or use, like a third back seat, memory seating, more plastic outside than steel and paint, and so on...Overall, I was very disappointed with the design changes for '02, and I wanted my '98 back, I didn't feel like I bought a new car.

My dealer tried to pause me and move me into the "all new" Avaitor waiting in the wings. Yeah, it was nice, decent engine and all, but I spied the MM in the back. Y'all know what happened then, came home with my '98 under one arm, and a Marauder under the other, and I still love both.

Except now, just a few short years later, things are different. It's a gas hog for sure, and I don't need as much hauling power, now that I own two cars (single, no kids). So, just lately, I'm looking to sell my Mountaineer, and I'll probably replace it with someting small, non-descript, and frugal, like a Sentra, or, a Focus, just for the daily running around. BTW, the Focus can haul, another Band member has one and we packed almost the whole drum line into it for a recent road trip. Can't say I appreciate it's handling OTR, but it can do!

IMHO...The "SUV" is not dead, but it is morphing (again) into an APV (all purpose vehicle). Minivans are also not dead, but morphing too, towards APV status. The interior selections and features are astounding, MPG and power relatively decent, space, storage, safety and hauling getting better, not to mention the advent of a driver's side rear door, DVD and all the other glitter. L/M's 2005 offerings are quite nice in features, appointments, and pricing. But, I still don't need room for family.

Let's face it folks, automobile manfacturers are simply giving us what the consumer at large wants, and what ever that buying body needs room for, it will get. Got a boat, or, a race car to haul around? Get a pick up or Suburban like vehicle. Got rug rats in several sizes? Get an APV. Just looking to slip through traffic, and visit the gas pump less on a daily basis? Get a roller skate. Got an itch, or, a need for speed with unusual class?

Should have got a Marauder when you could...

stevengerard
08-13-2004, 05:15 PM
My $.02

I have recently owned three vehicles I said I would never ever own - a mini-van a 4-door and a SUV. But life experiences and created that. To this day I remember passing a Ford dealer on the way to our first ultra-sound with my wife's 3rd pregnancy. I saw a Cobra and said to my wife "well it won't hold 5 but it will hold me and the 3 kids when we are without you" I had a 93 SHO 4 speed and she had a 94 auto. The ultra sound changed a lot of things. We were having twins.

I went out and test-drove every car imaginable from Audi A6 wagons, to Explorers, and literally everything in between. Ended up buying a Durango for the space as our kids are spread out in age and needed the extra room. This turned out to be a decent purchase for me but it was tough for my wife to load the kids that high up. So we bought a Windstar, that was the best lifestyle purchase we made. Very easy in and out, drove nicely but not much cargo area. Though we could only have one other person join us in a trip. So after 4 years we got a Suburban - fits 8 with lots of storage and I got rid of the Durango and bought the MM a fun car that I can haul the 4 kids in or do business with proudly.

So the SUV and minivan can really be a true purchase of practicality. My Suburban is way more luxurious than the MM - its an absolutely amazing SUV. I still like the 442 best

TripleTransAm
08-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Got an itch, or, a need for speed with unusual class?

Should have got a Marauder when you could...

Priceless.
You should have worked a side job at Mercury's advertising department. Two short sentences and you've summed up the Marauder's mystique (oops, no pun intended).