PDA

View Full Version : Road trip - Carolinas

CRUZTAKER
08-13-2004, 07:25 PM
We are staying Sat-Wed in Charolett,NC. Actually its the Lowes Motor Speedway in Concord. There is a camp ground across from the track and we'll be there until dad races on Wed. then we move on to Myrtle Bch, SC.Going with Jessica and Gage with Grandpa to join him in taking his ultimate 2003 Christmas present....NASCAR DRIVING SCHOOL.

No Marauder, I need a break, as my body is an aching wreck from the last few weeks of construction. Gonna drink martinis in the back of grandpa's 38' winnibago and enjoying the ride!

Great timing though. Two tropical storms, and one in progress. Guess I'll bring a umbrella.

We are leaving Sat. the 14th and will be down for the entire week.

Anyone close?

Bigdogjim
08-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a plan:)

Enjoy the time away:)

Life is good:):):)

jgc61sr2002
08-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Barry - I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation. Enjoy. :D

Silver_04
08-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Buy a lap as a passenger in one of the professionally driven cars. Although it isn't as fun as getting to actually drive around Charlotte Motor Speedway, it's still a heck of a time.

Marauderman
08-13-2004, 08:24 PM
We are leaving Sat. the 14th and will be down for the entire week.

Anyone close?
..Hey Barry--The Carolina MArauders meet on Speedway Blvd. and postponed till next week sometime---give us some spec on your itenery and some of us can maybe meet up..........Tom

Patrick
08-14-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes sit back and chill!!!!!!!!! :beer: :up:

CRUZTAKER
08-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Well, we made it to stop number one. Traveling in a full sevice bus of sorts is...well...interesting to say the least. Having 2 young children along...priceless. Meaning I couldn't pay someone enough to deal with a spoiled 6 year old and my cranky son in a 400 sq. foot motor home cruising 55 mph down the highway....:P

We are at the Fleetwood RV park at the Lowes motor speedway for the next few days and then it's off to Myrtle Beach. Hopefully everything will be cleaned up down there by the time we get there. Weather here is extremely overcast and breezy. Warmer than home though, and that's a plus.

Electric was out all day, but back up now. Laptop is down to 10%battery. Dial up isn't too bad, but have to walk a half mile to the office to gain access.

Take care! It's Martini time, and Gage and I are going dinosaur hunting...:D :woohoo:

dok
08-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Barry

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We have been on vacation and just got home at midnight last night. I live 3 miles from your campground. I drove through the campground looking for a Winnebago with Ohio plates. Saw one with Washington plates but nobody was around.

If you can, you should go to the legends races at the main track tonight. For $5 you can't beat it. I will be there weraring my black Marauder cap. I usually try to sit in sections C - D. Hopefully I'll see you there.

Don

CRUZTAKER
08-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Awww dam...we were there.

Have since left and are now in Myrtle Beach south end at the Ocean Lakes camp ground spot 107 near the beach.

Yesterday at the speedway was incredible. Grandpa drove 30 laps in a real nascar and averaged 142 mph. The cars were governed at 170 but few drivers had the talent to run that fast.

I did a ride along with one of Dale Jarret crew drivers and really threw the wood to it! The first time around turn two I nearly blacked out. The latteral G's at 152 are incredible. It took a few laps for my brain to adjust, but once it did I had a blast. Not sure how these guys can run all day like that, but it is truley hot and wearing on the body.

I have some incredible cockpit video and still shots to upload when I return.

The only surprise of the day was that it had rained all morning and suddenly stopped a few hours before the event started. The track needed dried off quickly....but how to do that efficiently?

Well....how about 60 laps in your personal vehichles! Great idea, but I chose not to bring the Marauder on this trip, and did it in a mini van. What a blast that could have been. We ran 80 to 100 mph at times all over the track.

Well, the surf is up, and I need to find a wave board...in the meanwhile, I think I'll mix up a martini, and....go fly a kite!:P