PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler 300C SRT-8 at Woodward Dream Cruise

bigslim
08-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Chrysler had a big display at the Dream Cruise. I was able to get fresh pictures of the 425hp 300C SRT-8. I was told that this car would probably be in the fifty thousand dollar range. I was also told that the car does not sound much louder than the 300C. It will be rear-wheel drive with the these 20 inch wheels on it.

FiveO
08-22-2004, 03:46 AM
$50K...... :loco:

But...if you build it....they will come.

TAF
08-22-2004, 05:22 AM
bigslim...first of all, thanks for the photos.

A couple of observations/maybe you (the group) would consider them questions...

They are STILL using that big, ugly grill on this thing. I wonder how that gets past the government requirement of front bumper collisions? I know it's only like "it must be able to sustain a 5 MPH crash"...or something silly like that.

I just think it would be MUCH improved in aesthetics if the bumper went all the way across...cutting off that butt-ugly grill.

How can Ford ignore this? is my second ob/?...

And....my 3rd...it's STILL going to take a long time for me to look at a Chrysler product...even IF the German's are making positive changes. Not due to any WWII long-held grudges...but, for the last 25 years...just about every single one of their products that I've seen, driven, heard 1st hand accounts from friends/owners....they make the cheapest pieces of junk out there...with cheap, thrown together parts...and the interiors are nothing but crap.

But, then again...if it's all that's out there in rearwheel drive in a few years...

I still want Ford to make the 427...it looks MUCH better than this^^^

TripleTransAm
08-22-2004, 05:44 AM
They are STILL using that big, ugly grill on this thing. I wonder how that gets past the government requirement of front bumper collisions? I know it's only like "it must be able to sustain a 5 MPH crash"...or something silly like that.

Very good point. I imagine perhaps it either 'flexes' during impact (or 'swings' out of the way, as Cutlass'es did in the early 80s), or is actually some sort of reinforced object. Never thought about it until you brought it up...

And by the way, seems a lot of folks are starting to get my reasoning for why I lamented the low (and prematurely ended) production of the Marauder. At the time of my initial purchase, I had every intention of trading up to a newer unit circa 2005 or 2006 model year, and was even looking forward to improvements I was hoping to see (factory S/C, more durable tranny, and lately: stronger bottom end)...

So, for the same reason I visited the Ford camp to begin with, I'll probably end up at the Chrysler camp in not too many years: they'll be the only game in town.

So, while I find the current Chrysler 300 styling akin to Queen Elizabeth in a Victoria's Secret catalog, I nonetheless pray the development and perfectioning of the Hemi continues because they will be the only players in my game a few years down the road. :(
(Edit: okay, I hear Cadillac is RWD'ing their family Caddies... still, I can't help but fear my children will cut themselves on the sharp edges of the exterior styling... :eek: )

chrish
08-22-2004, 05:47 AM
anyone know where the HEMI motor is produced? They must be working overtime... I like the wagon better than the 300. I'm just happy people are buying anthing made in the U.S.A. ,instead of the euro , rice , korean, & soon chinese offerings... Hats of to the dodge Boys.. :wave: :twocents: :cowboy:

Hack Goby
08-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Where`s the icemaker on this fridg.? :razz:

FiveO
08-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Where`s the icemaker on this fridg.? :razz:o

:lol:

Its still a Dodge...never been a fan.

Said it before and I'll say it again...the front grill still reminds me of a train from the 1800's. Cowcatcher and all.

To each their own. I'm sure they are nice cars...but I love my MM....simply put.

This really isn't a :duel: but moreso each owner choosing what they like. Dodge has raised the bar...and I don't think Ford will follow.

Too bad too...the markets out there.

Marauder386
08-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Durn thing looks like a preggie guppie with a Ram truck grill slammed on the front. Hemi or not, I am gonna have to stay in the FoMoCo camp. Yes, its because its a comfort thing. :hotrice:

M386

bigslim
08-22-2004, 08:36 AM
In the original post I forgot one thing. I did add it though. I had the representative open the hood and I took a picture. Here is what 425hp looks like.

FiveO
08-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Damn.....where the hecks the engine :lol:

All low I see...nothing up high...should be room for supercharging.

Nathan
08-22-2004, 09:35 AM
anyone know where the HEMI motor is produced? They must be working overtime... I like the wagon better than the 300. I'm just happy people are buying anthing made in the U.S.A. ,instead of the euro , rice , korean, & soon chinese offerings... Hats of to the dodge Boys.. :wave: :twocents: :cowboy:

Um... The Hemi is made in México.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

"Hemi production began in June 2002 at the Salitillo plant in Mexico, with a projected production of 440,000 engines a year."

All I can say is ****in' sheet, maaaan.

Logan
08-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Personally, I like it. Don't know that I'm ready to pop $50k for that or a CTS-V though...Mind you, there's damn near that in my Marauder...Hmph.

FiveO
08-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Personally, I like it. Don't know that I'm ready to pop $50k for that or a CTS-V though...Mind you, there's damn near that in my Marauder...Hmph. Amen...

I'd never thought about it before but with what I have into this vehicle is astounding.

26K cash
6K upgrades and misc.
8K upcoming s/c
11K from previous owners upgrades...(thankfully not my $$$)

Thats 51K total..... :eek: :( Lots O Cash.

Still better than most 50K cars though....12.5 in the 1/4...handles like a dream.

MI2QWK4U
08-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Personally, I like it. Don't know that I'm ready to pop $50k for that or a CTS-V though...Mind you, there's damn near that in my Marauder...Hmph.

But Logan, the Marauder looks better. I didnt notice the shear number of people hanging on the 300 at its display, where literally hundreds, if not thousands (Police said well over 1 million spectators) of people were all over the Marauders in our display.

Logan
08-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Dave, you know as well as I do that looks are completely subjective in the eyes of the beholder...

Honestly, the Panther platform design is quite dated aesthetically. That being said, I love my car and its' dated looks, they're classic.

Any other vehicle I look at would be in addition to as opposed to replacing my Marauder, that's for sure. I still get thumbs up and rubber necking at the Marauder daily when I'm drivin'... Works for me. :)

Besides, tricked out paint and bling bling wheels are on the agenda for this year on my beast. Once the tricked out paint gets laid, it's days of daily driving are done.

TAF
08-22-2004, 10:23 AM
But Logan, the Marauder looks better. I didnt notice the shear number of people hanging on the 300 at its display, where literally hundreds, if not thousands (Police said well over 1 million spectators) of people were all over the Marauders in our display.
VERY true Dave! BTW, way to "represent". :up:

gpfarrell
08-22-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm just happy people are buying anthing made in the U.S.A. ,instead of the euro , rice , korean, & soon chinese offerings...

Just so I'm clear... buying a Chrysler is patriotic because it's American! Buying a Honda isn't because it's Japanesse.

Even if the Honda is built in Ohio, since the parent company is in Japan, the car isn't American! Right?

Uh... who owns Chrysler these days?

Let's discuss cars based on the cars themselves and not philosophical, political, and economic giberish.

Let's talk engineering, performance, and styling... even if beauty is in the eye of the loan payer.

I like the Chrysler... about time Mercedes Benz offers some value, and about time Chrysler has some engineering. Maybe it was a good marriage... based on the objective of building more competitive products in a world market place.

bigslim
08-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Just so I'm clear... buying a Chrysler is patriotic because it's American! Buying a Honda isn't because it's Japanesse.

Even if the Honda is built in Ohio, since the parent company is in Japan, the car isn't American! Right?

Uh... who owns Chrysler these days?

Let's discuss cars based on the cars themselves and not philosophical, political, and economic giberish.

Let's talk engineering, performance, and styling... even if beauty is in the eye of the loan payer.

I like the Chrysler... about time Mercedes Benz offers some value, and about time Chrysler has some engineering. Maybe it was a good marriage... based on the objective of building more competitive products in a world market place.
We have had this import/domestic argument before. Let's not do it again.

MI2QWK4U
08-22-2004, 08:19 PM
...gets laid

Cool....what he said!

gpfarrell
08-22-2004, 08:22 PM
We have had this import/domestic argument before. Let's not do it again.

I so agree with you... just posted a thread to that effect on the main board... let's talk cars! :)

RCSignals
08-22-2004, 09:32 PM

But you know you'd have to mod that 300 or a CTS-V. Think how much you'd have in one after that!

michael ward
08-22-2004, 10:08 PM
sory i post on wrong thread :type: :bows: :bricks:

Bluerauder
08-23-2004, 04:18 AM
[QUOTE=bigslim]Chrysler had a big display at the Dream Cruise. I was able to get fresh pictures of the 425hp 300C SRT-8. I was told that this car would probably be in the fifty thousand dollar range. [QUOTE]
I like the streamlined shape of the 300C ... it must cut through the air like a brick. :razz: :rolleyes: $50K ?? No, thanks. :down:

merc406
08-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Chrysler had a big display at the Dream Cruise. I was able to get fresh pictures of the 425hp 300C SRT-8. I was told that this car would probably be in the fifty thousand dollar range. I was also told that the car does not sound much louder than the 300C. It will be rear-wheel drive with the these 20 inch wheels on it.

The more I see this thing the more I like it, but still want that Hot Rod wagon more! :up: :burn: :rasta: