PDA

View Full Version : Any Trap shooters in the group?

Mike Poore
08-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Notice the word is spelled with a "T". I've seen references to shooting on many of the threads, and would like to invite anyone to join us on any Monday evening. We start at 5:30 PM at the Littlestown, PA, Fish & Game, open to members and guests. $3 per round of 25 birds, shells not included, but available @$5/box. Mostly 16yd single targets, but handicap and doubles are available if there's enough interest. Very informal. You must have hearing protection and safety eyewear. Membership is open @ $25/year. Very good small bore and large bore ranges with covered points and solid benches to 200 yds. Also, cowboy action shooting has started on Saturday mornings.

BillyGman
08-22-2004, 03:30 PM
I mostly shoot paper(rifles), but I'd like to inquire as to what choke is used for trap? I tried skeet a couple times, and it was a lot harder than it looks. But I didn't know what choke to use. I think that I was using improved cylinder that day, but it was a long tome ago, so I'm not even positive about that. :confused:

Dan
08-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

You guys are so lucky that I am here. From what I have learned, discussions about guns are in violation of the "non rules" that we all agreed to follow when we first signed up for our account. You guys need to be careful about carrying on this conversation lest you incur the wrath of a mod.

I know that you are glad that I reminded you of this and I will await your private messages that thank me. :lol:

Best,

Dan

BillyGman
08-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Uhmmm, thanks?

blacksnake
08-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

You guys are so lucky that I am here. From what I have learned, discussions about guns are in violation of the "non rules" that we all agreed to follow when we first signed up for our account. You guys need to be careful about carrying on this conversation lest you incur the wrath of a mod.

I know that you are glad that I reminded you of this and I will await your private messages that thank me. :lol:

Best,

Dan

Whatever. There is some trap shooting down here but Sporting Clays is the most popular. It combines the challenges of both skeet and trap with a variety of target presentations that somewhat resemble bird shooting situations. A round of 100 targets is about $25 with membership. It is usually set up for foursomes to move around from station to station (kind of like golf - except fun). I am sure it is pretty popular up there too?

BillyGman
08-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Sporting Clays is the most popular. (kind of like golf - except fun).

LOL.....you can say that again. :gunfire: ooops, I hope it wasn't wrong, nor politically incorrect for me to use that shooting smiley.;)

Mike Poore
08-23-2004, 03:09 AM
I mostly shoot paper(rifles), but I'd like to inquire as to what choke is used for trap? I tried skeet a couple times, and it was a lot harder than it looks. But I didn't know what choke to use. I think that I was using improved cylinder that day, but it was a long tome ago, so I'm not even positive about that. :confused:
Most guys use Full or Imp. Mod. chokes. A typical trap gun is the Browning 525 Sporting/30" barrels, shooting 1 - 1 1/8oz of #9 shot ~1150fps. Just about everyone is using handloads. Of course, there's no standard, and Remington 870's and Mod 1100's as well as the European autos are popular as well. Anyway, Littlestown is just North of Taneytown, MD and if it's not too long a drive, please join us. Free instructions avail. It's just another excuse to go somewhere in your fine ride, right?

BillyGman
08-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Thanks Mike. I'll have to consider that. I have a Remington 870 pump (3.5" chamber). I used to have a 10 ga. side by side, but that thing definately wasn't for skeet nor trap. What a bear that thing was to shoot. After pulling the trigger just 11 times one day, my shoulder and upper arm was purple for the next two weeks!!! That thing kicked harder than my 50 BMG rifles do (which BTW do not leave me bruised).

rayjay
08-23-2004, 05:14 AM
Thanks Mike. I'll have to consider that. I have a Remington 870 pump (3.5" chamber). I used to have a 10 ga. side by side, but that thing definately wasn't for skeet nor trap. What a bear that thing was to shoot. After pulling the trigger just 11 times one day, my shoulder and upper arm was purple for the next two weeks!!! That thing kicked harder than my 50 BMG rifles do (which BTW do not leave me bruised).
A "vest" makes a nice recoil absorber. Shot a 12 all day at training and not a mark, comfortable too.

Mike Poore
08-23-2004, 05:37 AM
Well, remember, we're shooting 1 - 1 1/8 oz shot in an 8lb+ shotgun. Most of them equiped with Decelerator butt pads. Many shooting jackets employ Past recoil reducing gel in the shoulder area as well, and with a properly fitted stock that doesn't whack your face, recoil is not a consideration in trap shooting. I typically run 75 - 100 birds in an evening, that's 3 or 4 rounds. Consider this: big time competetive shooters will easily consume a TON of shot in a single year!

As far as sporting clays is concerned, I've gotten the chance to try it a few times, and it's great fun, ...although, in my case, a very humbling experience. The closest place is Carlisle, but now that I have the Marauder to enjoy, there may be more trips in the future. Just think, I can pack a whole squad + gear, in the Marauder, and arrive in style and comfort.

Anyway, I'm getting a little off topic here, when the origonal idea was to fill the Littlestown Fish & Game parking lot with Marauders.

duhtroll
08-23-2004, 08:48 AM
That's a bit far for me.

I'm one of the lucky ones - got a free trap range anytime I wish to use it, along with a selection of guns and plenty of free ammo and ducks.

It's at my mom's house.

No, I'm not kidding.

:woohoo:

BillyGman
08-23-2004, 09:00 AM
That's a bit far for me.

I'm one of the lucky ones - got a free trap range anytime I wish to use it, along with a selection of guns and plenty of free ammo and ducks.

It's at my mom's house.

No, I'm not kidding.

:woohoo:WOW!!! I wish I could say that. Hey, anytime you want to try your hand at 50BMG caliber rifle shooting, let me know. I'll supply the firearm, and the ammo(including match grade, armor piercing, and tracer rounds) as long as you supply the land, and some more interesting targets than the paper ones that I have to shoot at the public ranges that I go to.(other targets would be nice, such as cinder blocks, old car batteries, manhole covers, junk cars, engine blocks, etc. etc.). And NO, I'm not kidding either. :gunfire:

duhtroll
08-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, we have an old barn that has been the backdrop of the gun range for years. It is the second oldest barn west of the Mississippi or something, and they chose not to move or restore it, so they shoot at it.

It's mostly a pile of timber right now.

Also there's a bunch of old cars around to blast. Make sure no one owns them first. We made that mistake once. Poor guy. (no he wasn't in the car, I meant for his car)

-A

WOW!!! I wish I could say that. Hey, anytime you want to try your hand at 50BMG caliber rifle shooting, let me know. I'll supply the firearm, and the ammo(including match grade, armor piercing, and tracer rounds) as long as you supply the land, and some more interesting targets than the paper ones that I have to shoot at the public ranges that I go to.(other targets would be nice, such as cinder blocks, old car batteries, manhole covers, junk cars, engine blocks, etc. etc.). And NO, I'm not kidding either. :gunfire:

rayjay
08-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Cars are great fun. When we teach Basic Active Shooter training a local salvage yard always drops off a car or two. Not much left when we are done hitting them with everything but anti tank weapons. The guy then picks them up on a rollback and drives around to his various favorite haunts. When someone asks what happened?, he tells them "I dunno, the cops just had me pick it up on I88. I think he has more fun than we do :lol: