PDA

View Full Version : Custom Radio Flyer

klmore
08-25-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm plan to build my son a lifted wagon in the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any pictures, information, tips, or anything on this subject.

http://www.nuts-berry.com/customflyer/d.gif

I was thinking of something like this, but with a custom paint job and chrome suspension.:beer:

I have four weeks to build it. Any ideas are welcome.

Slowpoke
08-25-2004, 02:10 PM
attach some headlights
perhaps some running lights
fake exhaust pipes
cover the inside in carpeting

Slowpoke
08-25-2004, 02:13 PM
also check this out........

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/yourmonster/zooms/page05/zoom_07.html

GreekGod
08-25-2004, 02:27 PM
You will need a wider track on both axles to reduce likely-hood of roll-over accident. A longer wheel-base would also reduce tendency to roll-over, and allow length to add a back and a front seat, jet-fighter style. Of course, a full seat belt harness and mild steel roll-bar are also necessary for added safety and to teach young'uns to be safety concious. Don't forget a bulb style horn so they can give others a "tug and a toot" to remind others to always wear a seatbelt!

GreekGod
08-25-2004, 02:34 PM
PS: avoid chroming suspention and other critical parts! Hydrogen embrittlement can lead to cracks in steel and catastrophic failure. Try a coating of Teflon instead- you could just hose off the mud!

duhtroll
08-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Have you looked at the latest Radio Flyers? They are lifted a lot from the originals. We just got one as a gift, and frmo thepic on the box it looks "more monster-truck-y."

-A

Silver_04
08-26-2004, 03:09 AM
That is so cool. I'd also recommend a brake of some kind. I remember screaming down hills in my Radio Flyer wearing out many pairs of shoes coming to a stop.

Now after the radio flyer, build your kid a pedal powered Marauder. I'd love to do that as a hobby.

martyo
08-26-2004, 03:16 AM
so they can give others a "tug and a toot"

Hey, that's Todd's job! :lol:

bryanknie
08-26-2004, 04:17 AM
I did the same for my son 4 years ago, I bought a set of used headers, painted them chrome and bolted them to the sides, bought a lawnmover battery and used fog lights as head lights and mounted a OOgha horn. I then added a lit license plate and welded a go cart steering wheel to the handle. Wired it all up professionally.

He sure does have fun when we go to car shows, the beer cooler fits in with him. Every once in a while I just charge the battery.

We get all kinds of looks, I think I was the first person to mount headers on a wagon a Turkey Run year ago.

klmore
08-26-2004, 07:59 AM
I think I'm going to avoid electrical items on it for now. I actually have to pull him around in it during a local art fair. My wife works it for the Junior League and we end up there every evening for a week.:dunno:

I am planning a seat, making the axles wider, and extending the handle to adult length. I do think I will avoid the chrome and go with powder coating. I don't want to make it to large to handle in a crowd, or to get in and out of the Excursion.:cool4:

GreekGod
08-27-2004, 10:09 AM
OK- keep it stock wheelbase with wider track. You can get loading ramps and a [interior] winch for the Excursion.

JDC 302
08-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Since my son grew out of his wagon I might be interested in a Harley Powered bar stool check this out. http://www.barstoolracing.net/