PDA

View Full Version : Escape

chrish
08-30-2004, 07:53 PM
ANYone considering an ESCAPE HYBRID ? :flag: :hug: :drumstck:

2003DOHC
08-30-2004, 08:02 PM

No, it is not a bad idea but the extra cost is never recouped in fuel savings!

nslatin
08-30-2004, 09:22 PM
No, it is not a bad idea but the extra cost is never recouped in fuel savings!
Actually I just spent a week test driving one here in Las Vegas. Just a temp job with Roush Industries.

I had a v6 Escape before I picked up the MM. I was told the upcharge would only be $2000. It was getting about 32 mpg on the hwy, even higher around town when the elec drive was used more. It wasn't that bad a vehicle, but not quite as quick as the V6.

The only other major issue is that the A/C cuts out when you are electric drive at low speeds. So at red lights, stop & go traffic, you have no A/C. You can force it to come on by selecting max A/C, but then the engine is always running. Here in Vegas I see this as a major drawback since you loose the gas savings by shutting down the engine at a stop.

You should take it for a drive if you have any real interest.

Neal

Logan
08-31-2004, 03:32 AM
It's only initially available in the coastal and high pollution states. It won't be generally available until next year anyway.

Bradley G
08-31-2004, 03:45 AM
$2000.00 is a bit short from what I was told a few months back. Prolly looking at closer to 5-6k more for a hybrd.I agree with who posted that the difference in initial cost may never be recouped in fuel savings.the only reason to buy one now is for bragging rights.

rookie1
08-31-2004, 05:01 AM
$2000.00 is a bit short from what I was told a few months back. Prolly looking at closer to 5-6k more for a hybrd.I agree with who posted that the difference in initial cost may never be recouped in fuel savings.the only reason to buy one now is for bragging rights.

The payback is dependent on fuel costs. At $2 a gallon I agree you can't recoup the price differential,but, at $3 a gallon it gets much closer.

My wife and I are thinking of getting her one when they become available if the math works in our favor.

Just to go off topic a little, I find it incredible that our pump prices here have not reflected the recent volatility of crude prices with oil trading near $50 per barrel. I realize that there are boatloads of market factors affecting gas prices but I wonder if there is any political motivation to keep pump prices under $2 for the next few months.

Logan
08-31-2004, 05:48 AM
Absolutely is. Bush had lobbied the Saudi's to increase production in the months leading to the election. They did so a few weeks ago, which will trickle to the pumps in terms of savings this month and into October. Expect gas prices to go right back up afterwards...

Mike Poore
08-31-2004, 06:54 AM
ANYone considering an ESCAPE HYBRID ? :flag: :hug: :drumstck:Yeh, when they stuff a 4.6 DOHC in it like they did with the Aviator.

Dr Caleb
08-31-2004, 08:00 AM
ANYone considering an ESCAPE HYBRID ?

No, but I am considering something in a turbo diesel for winter and retiring the CV.

I could drive all month on what the CV burns in a week, and it's a short (10 minute) drive to work. I don't see gas prices falling anytime soon, if ever.

mrjones
08-31-2004, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=4the only reason to buy one now is for bragging rights.[/QUOTE]

Isn't there another reason as well? I thought the Hybrid vehicles now qualified for a $2000 tax deduction, with the full electrics getting $4K. That would go a LONG way towards making the price differential easy to swallow. A buddy of mine in Santa Cruz, CA had scheduled a Ford "Innovation Drive" in San Fran on October 15, and I was considering going out there to go with him, but it looks like that's not gonna happen - we're saving our duckies to go to Barrett-Jackson in January!!

nslatin
08-31-2004, 03:19 PM
I just checked msrp at ford.com and the difference between the top escape vs the top hybrid is "only" $3,390.

MARAUDER S/C #5
08-31-2004, 03:54 PM
:tmi: :thinker:.............. I'm waiting on the Trilogy Escape S/C...............:whistle: :cool4:

Bradley G
09-02-2004, 03:34 AM
the dealer I worked for was planning to sell the above that 2-3 $k since the supply demand will be lopsided for a while
I just checked msrp at ford.com and the difference between the top escape vs the top hybrid is "only" $3,390.

Tallboy
09-02-2004, 06:58 PM
just bought a 2003 neon to drive everyday. the marauder has been crowned "garage queen".;)

jgc61sr2002
09-02-2004, 07:01 PM
just bought a 2003 neon to drive everyday. the marauder has been crowned "garage queen".;)

Way to go. :up:

2003DOHC
09-04-2004, 02:04 PM

Same here just purchased a 2001 Ranger so my MM is also a garage queen.

SergntMac
09-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Just made a second vehicle change here too. Sold my '98 Mountaineer for a decent (fair) price, and picked up a very clean '91 Gran Marquis. My Mountaineer's 10-12 city MPG was killing me at the pumps, and I found myself driving my MM when I shouldn't, just for it's economy. It's a real sad situation when a 450+ HP supercharged automobile is your "economical" option for daily driver.

I really like my new old car. It's white over white, with blue cloth interior, a 5.0L V8, AOD tranny, 2:xx rear gear, and all the luxury (circa '91) of my MM. Nice daily driver in decent shape, 77K miles.

Perfect candidate for a 6 pound boost Vortech...Ummm...I digress.

I know I could have done better MPG economy-wise, but I put 5K back in the bank too. This "granpa" car is quite a trip and I'm loving it...

Smokie
09-04-2004, 03:09 PM
I know I could have done better MPG economy-wise, but I put 5K back in the bank too. This "granpa" car is quite a trip and I'm loving it...I have one of those grandpa cars also, has traction control, it is solid and superbly comfortable...you made a solid choice, those cars won't let you down.

PhastPhil
09-05-2004, 10:44 AM
I have been watching the Escape Hybrid also. It might be worth it for me since I live on Long Island and drive to Manhattan everday. Since the hybrid gets better mileage when driving slower, it would be ideal in midtown, and comming home on the Long Island Expressway when you are lucky to hit 30 mph! I'm glad to hear how the A/C worked. I was wondering how the heat worked too. Maybe it has electric heat? I know... no need for heat in Vegas!!
I also believe in the old timers rule of thumb... never buy a completley knew vehicle the first year it is out. Give a year or two so they can work the bugs out. And you can hear what other owners think.

Dr Caleb
09-07-2004, 09:06 AM
... picked up a very clean '91 Gran Marquis.

A fine auto. I've been driving a 92 CV LX for about 6 years as my winter beater and all around road curling rock.

4.6, 2.73 rear end, traction control, dual stainless exhaust (called the towing package). Big leather seats. Excellent highway economy. I can drive to work and back for 2 weeks on a tankful.

Spent the long weekend under it getting ready for winter. New brakes on all 4 corners, changed brake fluid, new coolant, new oilpan, new rearend lube . . . learned a few new curses too.