PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Review

MAD-3R's Wife
09-05-2004, 08:45 PM
I wanted to let everyone know about an absolutely fabulous restaurant in Richmond VA.
:party:
If you want to treat yourself to a GREAT seafood meal, go to The Old Original Bookbinders in Richmond VA. Phil took me there for our 7 year anniversary. The food is extremely good! We started the meal with the 'Hot Seafood Sampler'. The Oysters Rockefeller was wonderful, the Crab Cakes were more crab then cake, and the Kalamari was perfectly cooked. For the next course we had a Seafood Bisque which had a bit more spice then I normally like. After the Bisque we had our entrees. Phil had the Seafood Pasta and I had the Beef Tenderloin Tips with Lobster Tail. The mushrooms in the Beef Tips had more substance then the beef, just melted in your mouth and the Lobster...........I am a convert. The Seafood Pasta had more seafood then pasta with just the right amount of spice. The sides......what can I say.....first, they claim that the sides are enough for two..........they mean 4. We had the Lobster Potatoes and the Cream Corn A Grauten. I don't know how to describe them other then YUM!!!!! I just wished I could have had more, I was full. We did have dessert though. I had the Chocolate Torte and Phil had the Key Lime Pie. The Torte melted in your mouth and was just sweet enough to finish a GREAT meal and the Pie was (to quote Phil) "real Key Lime Pie". I had a bite of his pie and it was sweet with a real nice tang to it. :trophy:

The more I think about this dinner the more I wish I could go again. I am still full 4 hours later but my mouth is watering just writing all this.

Trust me the meal was well worth the 2 hour drive.

RCSignals
09-05-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm happy you had such a good time, and a great meal.

I'm confused though. Why does Bookbinder sell seafood, or is it just a VA thing?

Bigdogjim
09-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Congrats on 7 years:):):)

Is this "JET's" Place?

Their was one in Phila. Hope it re-opens soon:):):up:

Bluerauder
09-06-2004, 05:11 AM
The "Original Bookbinders" in the Philadephia section of Society Hill is the one that I remember. Of course, the was back in 1981. Wow, time flies.

Happy 7th Anniversary -- Phil and Natasha !!! :party:

jgc61sr2002
09-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Happy Anniversary :party1: :cake:

Haggis
09-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh no not the 7 year stretch....wait a minute isn't that baseball.

Congratulations Phil and Tasha on your Anniversary. Wow a whole 7 years, boy does the time fly. May God bless you with happiness on your journey together through life. :bunny2: :bunny2: :bunny2:

MAD-3R's Wife
09-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Is this "JET's" Place?

BIg Dog, Yes it was one of Jet's places. The first one in Philly which should reopen soon and the two in Richmond.

RCSignals
09-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Oh no not the 7 year stretch....wait a minute isn't that baseball.

Do you mean 7 year itch? :bunny2: :bunny2: :bunny2:

I'm confident Phil and Tasha will get past this 7 year milestone, and many more to come.

RCSignals
09-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Do you think Jet will open one way out here? I could park cars or something :)

MarauderMark
09-08-2004, 05:19 AM
[QUOTE=Haggis]Congratulations Phil and Tasha on your Anniversary. May God bless you with happiness on your journey together through life..

My sentiments as well HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Mike Poore
09-08-2004, 07:53 AM
I wanted to let everyone know about an absolutely fabulous restaurant in Richmond VA.
:party:
If you want to treat yourself to a GREAT seafood meal, go to The Old Original Bookbinders in Richmond VA. Phil took me there for our 7 year anniversary. The food is extremely good! We started the meal with the 'Hot Seafood Sampler'. The Oysters Rockefeller was wonderful, the Crab Cakes were more crab then cake, and the Kalamari was perfectly cooked. For the next course we had a Seafood Bisque which had a bit more spice then I normally like. After the Bisque we had our entrees. Phil had the Seafood Pasta and I had the Beef Tenderloin Tips with Lobster Tail. The mushrooms in the Beef Tips had more substance then the beef, just melted in your mouth and the Lobster...........I am a convert. The Seafood Pasta had more seafood then pasta with just the right amount of spice. The sides......what can I say.....first, they claim that the sides are enough for two..........they mean 4. We had the Lobster Potatoes and the Cream Corn A Grauten. I don't know how to describe them other then YUM!!!!! I just wished I could have had more, I was full. We did have dessert though. I had the Chocolate Torte and Phil had the Key Lime Pie. The Torte melted in your mouth and was just sweet enough to finish a GREAT meal and the Pie was (to quote Phil) "real Key Lime Pie". I had a bite of his pie and it was sweet with a real nice tang to it. :trophy:

The more I think about this dinner the more I wish I could go again. I am still full 4 hours later but my mouth is watering just writing all this.

Trust me the meal was well worth the 2 hour drive.Congratulations, you guys! And thanks for re-discovering one of America's finest. There was also Kelly's on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:country-region><st1:place><font color=" /><st1:Street><st1:address><FONT color=black>Mole Street</FONT></st1:address></st1:Street><FONT color=black>, just off Market, in </FONT><st1:City><st1:place><FONT color=black>Philadelphia, sadly, it never re-opened</FONT></st1:place></st1:City><FONT color=black><FONT size=2>.</FONT><FONT size=3> </FONT></FONT></FONT>

<FONT size=3><FONT size=2><FONT color=black>Let's see, time for a road trip? </FONT><FONT color=black> </FONT></FONT></FONT>

<st1:City><st1:place><FONT color=black>Philly or Richmond</FONT></st1:place></st1:City><FONT color=black>? Which is easiest? Anybody else want to go? Ladyhawke? Ms. Bluerauder? We can't claim any more stuff under Mike's Birthday Festival Month, but what about the delivery and install of my new shiny hiney? Any reason's a good one, right?</FONT>
</FONT>

SergntMac
09-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Congrats Phil and Natasha!

Road trip?

Mini-Meet?

Anyone?

GordonB
09-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Phil & Tasha,
Congrats on your anniversary!
GordonB and Joan

MarauderMark
09-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Any reason's a good one, right?</FONT>[/color]
</FONT>

As far as i'm concerned any reason to meet other mm'ers is good enough for me... :party:

JET
09-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Do you think Jet will open one way out here? I could park cars or something :)

RCSignals,

You put up the money & I’ll be happy to open one up in your neck of the woods.

Your Future Partner,
John

JET
09-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Road trip?
Mini-Meet?
Anyone?

When I finally have an exact date for reopening I’ll be inviting everyone here to the reopening party.

John

RCSignals
09-08-2004, 08:15 PM
RCSignals,

You put up the money & I’ll be happy to open one up in your neck of the woods.

Your Future Partner,
John

I'll start scouting for an old bookbinders

MM03MOK
09-08-2004, 08:16 PM
When I finally have an exact date for reopening I’ll be inviting everyone here to the reopening party.

JohnI'll be in Philly Oct. 14-15!! I can smell the warm bacon dressing already!!

Bigdogjim
09-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Hey I smell a party :party:

:whistle: :run:

Mike Poore
09-09-2004, 03:06 AM

John
Hey John, It seems from the Bookbinder's website the one in Philly's already opened? Also, it seems the Bunny Lady has already set the date for the Road Trip! OK, here's the plan: we get 'bout a hundred folks in Marauders and show up at Ray's LM dealership that Saturday, have a show & tell then drive off to Bookbinder's. LM has advertising weenies with cameras at Ray's for the advertising campaign, and they pick up the tab for lunch...such a plan.

Bluerauder
09-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Hey John, It seems from the Bookbinder's website the one in Philly's already opened? Also, it seems the Bunny Lady has already set the date for the Road Trip! OK, here's the plan: we get 'bout a hundred folks in Marauders and show up at Ray's LM dealership that Saturday, have a show & tell then drive off to Bookbinder's. LM has advertising weenies with cameras at Ray's for the advertising campaign, and they pick up the tab for lunch...such a plan.
Mike,
It is not clear to me that the Old Original Bookbinder's in Philly is open yet. Renovation was originally due to be completed in May 2004. However, the website indicates that a reopening date is still being planned.

Old Original Bookbinders (http://www.oldoriginalbookbinders.com )

Mike Poore
09-09-2004, 06:21 AM
Mike,
It is not clear to me that the Old Original Bookbinder's in Philly is open yet. Renovation was originally due to be completed in May 2004. However, the website indicates that a reopening date is still being planned.

Old Original Bookbinders (http://www.oldoriginalbookbinders.com/)Darn ....every really good plan has its issues, but the backbone of this scam, er, uh, trip is getting to dine at Bookbinder's. I know openings get delayed, but five months is unacceptable, besides, the Bunny Lady's already ordered the warm bacon dressing. I mean, how can this Road Trip possibly fail? ...(let me count the ways)

MAD-3R
09-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Be nice to JET. He's trying to get his fine, historic dinning establishment remodled in Philly. Things come up, and unions will only work so hard. :)

Bluerauder
09-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Darn ....every really good plan has its issues, but the backbone of this scam, er, uh, trip is getting to dine at Bookbinder's. I know openings get delayed, but five months is unacceptable, besides, the Bunny Lady's already ordered the warm bacon dressing. I mean, how can this Road Trip possibly fail? ...(let me count the ways)
I am definitely up for a Bookbinder's trip. The Richmond location would be great for me since it is only about 1.5 hours from here. However, the Philly site will probably draw interest from a wider range of the N.E. Marauder crowd.

MAD-3R's Wife
09-09-2004, 07:33 AM
As soon as Jet lets us know that he has re-opened (if we're not in Texas) we will be there. If I have to knock him out or leave him behind, we will be there. That food was just too good to pass up again. :rock:

Mike Poore
09-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Be nice to JET. He's trying to get his fine, historic dinning establishment remodled in Philly. Things come up, and unions will only work so hard. :)
OOPS! Sorry JET, I didn't understand it was your place we were gonna invade. Don't know much about getting union guys to work, but plenty of experience with city goverment and the needless, endless delays and silly inspections.

Mike Poore
09-09-2004, 02:37 PM
I am definitely up for a Bookbinder's trip. The Richmond location would be great for me since it is only about 1.5 hours from here. However, the Philly site will probably draw interest from a wider range of the N.E. Marauder crowd.
Well, it's Richmond, then, since Philly's not opened, yet. What do you guys think about going west of the mountains and visiting Luray Caverns on the way, then making Bookbinder's for supper? We'd have to spend the night near Richmond anyway, so would make a weekend of it. The fall foliage on the Skyline Drive is supposed to be spectacular, and perhaps the route going east from Luray would work. Just thinking out loud, but will sign up for any plan that includes Bookbinder's.

CRUZTAKER
09-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Darn ....every really good plan has its issues, but the backbone of this scam, er, uh,

Hey man...! Jet is a good man, and has top knotch plans. Since you haven't met him, nor tried your hand at restaurant entrepreneur, take it easy on the use of "scam".

Jessica and I are in on any plans that relate to Marauders and chillin' at one of John's places.

Mike Poore
09-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Hey man...! Jet is a good man, and has top knotch plans. Since you haven't met him, nor tried your hand at restaurant entrepreneur, take it easy on the use of "scam".

Jessica and I are in on any plans that relate to Marauders and chillin' at one of John's places.

Wait! no, No, I didn't suggest that John was doing anything, and didn't even know it was his place. It's ME who's running the scam, and that's only an innocent attempt to get anyone to join a road trip that includes dinner at Bookbinder's. Anyone else think I was being disrespectful? If so, I apologize.

PJR
09-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Congrats. Try not to go into so much detail. I grew up in New England and now I live in the desert. Good seafood talk drives me crazy!!!!

Bigdogjim
09-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Wait! no, No, I didn't suggest that John was doing anything, and didn't even know it was his place. It's ME who's running the scam, and that's only an innocent attempt to get anyone to join a road trip that includes dinner at Bookbinder's. Anyone else think I was being disrespectful? If so, I apologize.

Hey Mike I'm with you. If their is a great dinner at the end of a long ride all the better:)

CRUZTAKER
09-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Sorry Mike...I must have misread your post.:loco:

I hope there is a opening party, and perhaps a few other things to do as the fall north east meet seems to have fallen through the cracks.

Really would like to do an autumn meet in New York / New England and dine at one of John's fine establishments.

SergntMac
09-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Hey man...! Jet is a good man, and has top notch plans. Since you haven't met him, nor tried your hand at restaurant entrepreneur, take it easy on the use of "scam".
Agreed. I've met JET, and I know a "scam" when I see one. Hear me out, please?

"Scam" is slang which has several historic meanings. How it's used in this thread confuses me just a bit too, and it's why I'm posting now.

Way, way back in my early '70s, I joined the Chicago cops. I knew then that a "scam" was a con game, "scam" meant that someone cheated someone else out of something valuable. Gypsies, Con men, Chimny rockers, Irish travlers, Dice games, Threecard Monty, Pickpockets, Rackets and "The Sting," Yes?

I also learned another meaning for "scam", one that meant (and still means today) to describe a joyful banquet celebrating one's escape from a certain destiny, and celebrating that among friends likewise hoping to escape themselves. I suppose today, in 2004, that both words could mean the same? Mean to say "retirement party?" Also known to me as a "scam" and a "racket" today, is just such a party, with friends, over a meal, and all about beating the Devil at his game.

Surely, in my heart, any cop retiring from the cops after 30 years of cheating his Grim Reaper out of a date, deserves his "scam/racket" among friends over dinner.

How "scam" fits here, is up to y'all, this is just my .02C on that word, K?

Bigdogjim
09-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Well thanks for clearing that up Mac:)

Barry I'm in let do something in the East this fall?

JET let us know when your Phila place is "good to go" and we'll set something up:)

I have a weeks vacation left so help me use it up:):):)

MM03MOK
09-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Not to derail the thread, but I tried putting a plan together, with Mike and Diana Eaton's help, but the hotels in southern NH during foliage season were mostly booked and VERY expensive. I would be interested in seeing JET's place! Cheap flights from Providence to Philly!

Bigdogjim
09-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Not to derail the thread, but I tried putting a plan together, with Mike and Diana Eaton's help, but the hotels in southern NH during foliage season were mostly booked and VERY expensive. I would be interested in seeing JET's place! Cheap flights from Providence to Philly!
Its not derailed, just taken on a differant life:lol:

If your going to be town Oct. let throw a party. :2thumbs:

JET pm or call me if you have a date the joint will be open:)

I'll start a new thread in a day or two to see if any one is game? :woohoo:

MarauderMark
09-10-2004, 04:51 AM

Me and the misses are with you guys as well.I've never met jet as well but he must be a hell of a guy to offer me a test drive :burn: in his mm when i was looking to supercharged.and besides dont we stick together here?

JET
09-10-2004, 11:58 AM
When I have a better feeling about an exact date for the reopening of the Philadelphia Old Original Bookbinders I am going to invite all of our the member to one of my reopening parties. It looks like it will be in late October or November.

It will be a cocktail party with a heavy hor d’oeuvre size sampling of my menu. I will probable be having 2 or 3 of these parties with upwards of 300 to 400 people at each event so it will not be a MM.net specific event. There is no charge and since we won’t be open to the public for dinner you couldn’t pay even if you wanted to. The only out of pocket expenses will be gas, parking & your time. Any one who is member here will be invited with a guest. However it will be an RSVP event and I will not post the invitation publicly. I will discuss this with Logan when we get closer to the event to try to figure out a way of getting the invitations to everyone here. I will be to busy at that time to set up anything else for our members when the time comes for my party. If there really is an interest for a large number of you to come to Philly you are going to have to rely on somebody else to set up other events.

I keep you posted.

Best,

John

MAD-3R's Wife
09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
When I have a better feeling about an exact date for the reopening of the Philadelphia Old Original Bookbinders I am going to invite all of our the member to one of my reopening parties. It looks like it will be in late October or November.

It will be a cocktail party with a heavy hor d’oeuvre size sampling of my menu. I will probable be having 2 or 3 of these parties with upwards of 300 to 400 people at each event so it will not be a MM.net specific event. There is no charge and since we won’t be open to the public for dinner you couldn’t pay even if you wanted to. The only out of pocket expenses will be gas, parking & your time. Any one who is member here will be invited with a guest. However it will be an RSVP event and I will not post the invitation publicly. I will discuss this with Logan when we get closer to the event to try to figure out a way of getting the invitations to everyone here. I will be to busy at that time to set up anything else for our members when the time comes for my party. If there really is an interest for a large number of you to come to Philly you are going to have to rely on somebody else to set up other events.

I keep you posted.

Best,

John

John,

You are generous to a fault.

Tasha

JET
09-12-2004, 09:07 AM

I keep you posted.

Best,

John

Don't everbody talk at once

MM03MOK
09-12-2004, 09:14 AM
John - it sounds like the event not to miss!! Thank you!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_3_4.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_100.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_3_4.gif

Bigdogjim
09-12-2004, 10:36 AM
JET. (John) No problem I will/can handle the other events of a meet.

If need anything you have my cell phone # just call...:):)

Party of the year! :beer: :director: :woohoo:

Bluerauder
09-12-2004, 01:37 PM

I keep you posted.

Best,

John
Great !!! Thanks !! Just say when......... :party:

Haggis
09-12-2004, 03:18 PM

John,

You have my sincerest apologies for not answering sooner. Chris and I would be more then honored to attend a grand opening celebration at your restaurant. :party:

Mike Poore
09-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I was trying to run the Carroll Shelby Han & Eggs scam, and got accused of attacking you! I ain't saying anything else. Um, can Barb and I come?

JET
09-12-2004, 10:10 PM
I was trying to run the Carroll Shelby Han & Eggs scam, and got accused of attacking you! I ain't saying anything else. Um, can Barb and I come?
I'm a can do kind of guy but if your coming to Philly it better be a scrapple & egg scam instead.

Mike Poore
09-13-2004, 05:10 AM
I'm a can do kind of guy but if your coming to Philly it better be a scrapple & egg scam instead.
That's right, Philly = Scrapple. It's VA where they keep the good ham.

BTW, I went looking for the famous Shelby ham & egg story, and couldn't find it. Anyone remember the source?