PDA

View Full Version : Magnum 0-60 times

bigslim
09-06-2004, 11:03 PM
I was just over at the Magnum forum and a funny thing happened. There was talk of their 0-60 times. One guys said the best time he has gotten was 8 seconds. His car has the 5.7 hemi. Another guy said that he has yet to hear of anyone getting the 6.3 second quarter mile time that is listed in so many publications. They also talked about how they can't break the tire loose on a launch. No wonder when I pull up next to these cars they won't look my way. Here is the link to that discussion:http://www.dodgemagnum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=951

BlackHole
09-06-2004, 11:51 PM
I just toasted 1 at the 1/8th track but of corse I had some help. :neener: Chip/4.10's and 65mm TB and got my best time of 9.586 @ 75.62MPH He ran a 9.977 @ 74.33 MPH and only just broke 3000 Miles. Looks like dodge has went down swinging at curve balls SRT10 RAM Strike 1.....300C.....Strike 2 Dodge Magnum.......Strike 3 Looks like the Viper and SRT 4's are the only performance vehicles. :drink: :drink:

bigslim
09-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Nice kill. I guess it ain't bad, "For a Stationwagon".

RCSignals
09-07-2004, 01:46 AM
so why don't we read about this in the car magazines? If it were a Ford we sure would!

BillyGman
09-07-2004, 02:23 AM
That doesn't surprise me at all. I'm just very skeptical about an 8 cylinder engine that doesn't run on all 8 cylinders all the time. I think that when the brilliant upcoming engineers try to make a car that's overly high tech, performance will always suffer in one way or another(I'm sure that if TTA reads this, he will want to debate that point;) ). I believe those cars also have some type of high tech computer management system in addition to the traction control that prevents wheelspin, and unlike the traction control cannot be turned off. Sounds like a boring car to drive if you ask me. A nice grocery getter for little old ladies perhaps.

Bradley G
09-07-2004, 04:21 AM
Little old ladies are smarter than that,have you seen the cargo space?? in the wagon very small. Interior plastic panels prodrude into space MM appears to have more cargo space than the wagon (rear seats up)performance claims by Chrysler are very misleading over the years.Chrysler has some appeal but they lack engineering IMHO.

MAD-3R
09-07-2004, 04:42 AM
I wonder if the HP claims are inflated such as the Cobra's a few years back and the Hyndie's. Also wonder if they slipped C&D and the other publications a ringer, or sence it's Daimler-Crysler the inflated there own numbers.

duhtroll
09-07-2004, 06:01 AM
They're selling a ton of these things, though, so from a business standpoint it's a great idea. Too bad they don't perform up to all the hype.

The 1/4 mile times on their site are 15s and high 14s for the most part - just like a stock MM. Then they have a guy who says he's into the 13s stock, so I guess they aren't consistent.

I am still waiting to line up against a particular guy near me who has a black 300C and was grinning at me yesterday. He won't be for long. :D

-A

Racerx88
09-07-2004, 08:17 AM
They've only got a 2.5-something rear in them. That's why they're dogs 0-60. Wait til they start putting in 4:10's like we've been doing, then you'll start seeing some better numbers.

BlackHole
09-07-2004, 08:33 AM
They've only got a 2.5-something rear in them. That's why they're dogs 0-60. Wait til they start putting in 4:10's like we've been doing, then you'll start seeing some better numbers.

Like to try and crack that PCM code Dodge uses. :arcade: Thats the main reason the Vortech and any other S/C'er is not even out for the 5.7L Hemi
And its been close to 2 years since Vortech showed it off at SEMA.

mrjones
09-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Nice kill. I guess it ain't bad, "For a Stationwagon".

I've been interested in them since they started hitting the mags. I've been wanting to go test drive one, but so far, there hasn't been an RT around. I think a nearby dealer has one now, and I just got a card in the mail with a coupon for a $75 MasterCard when I go for a test drive. Sounds like a good deal, getting $75 for something I was gonna do anyway.

rayjay
09-07-2004, 11:27 AM
They've only got a 2.5-something rear in them. That's why they're dogs 0-60. Wait til they start putting in 4:10's like we've been doing, then you'll start seeing some better numbers.The rear end gear in the RT is 2.83, 3.75 for the v6 versions. I test drove one about a week before buying my MM. The two cars seemed pretty close in acceleration to me. If they had any type of incentive program I'd be driving one now instead of my Marauder. Glad they didn't...:up:

Cobra25
09-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Both cars are nice. But if some one were to ask me which Is a better car I'd go with the Marauder.

QWK SVT
09-07-2004, 04:31 PM
There's a reason Dodge's own materials state "0-60 in about 7 seconds..." Notice they don't say "under 7" - about is very ambiguous, and allows for all types of variances. :fishslap:

Silver_04
09-07-2004, 05:00 PM
That doesn't surprise me at all. I'm just very skeptical about an 8 cylinder engine that doesn't run on all 8 cylinders all the time. I think that when the brilliant upcoming engineers try to make a car that's overly high tech, performance will always suffer in one way or another

I'm old school and I agree. However, I did make the argument that the navigation systems I work on should be able to record and output lap times, 0-60, 1/4 mile and so on but I got shot down. That's the technology that I like. Silly driver aids and electronics and emission do dads implemented on cars so a company can keep selling trucks tick me off something fierce.

BillyGman
09-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I think that some of that high tech stuff is okay for those who want it. But when they start to have a big V8 engine that's supposed to be geared for performance pose as a jack of all trades by claiming better gas mileage with shutting half the motor down, and they also have some torque management system that won't allow you to lay some rubber on the asphalt if you so choose, and that cannot be turned off either, then that's just high tech stuff that is too extreme. It simply seems like a contradiction.

You're gonna advertise this car as having a "Hemi" and a decent sized 5.7L one at that which will have some garbonzos, and then if your customers decide to get a little playful and hammer the gas pedal to draw some attention from their friends, the engineering features of the car will prevent the owner from spinning the tires. Atleast this is what I've been told about these cars. That they have something over and above the traction control that cannot be turned off like the traction control can be. That's the kind of high tech stuff i was talking about. The kind that's put into many cars now, that does the driving for you. They're producing cars for "Girly-men" as Ahnold would say.

rayjay
09-08-2004, 01:20 AM
I believe the traction control was defeatable, but the yaw control was not. The navagation system was a $1900 option I could have lived without. It did not handle near as well as the MM. The front end is just plain fugly... Other than that I liked the car or is it a truck? There will be millions of them on the road in the next few years, but only 11k+ Marauders.

QWK SVT
09-08-2004, 01:10 PM
I just toasted 1 at the 1/8th track but of corse I had some help. :neener: Chip/4.10's and 65mm TB and got my best time of 9.586 @ 75.62MPH He ran a 9.977 @ 74.33 MPH and only just broke 3000 Miles. Looks like dodge has went down swinging at curve balls SRT10 RAM Strike 1.....300C.....Strike 2 Dodge Magnum.......Strike 3 Looks like the Viper and SRT 4's are the only performance vehicles. :drink: :drink:
I just noticed the time posted for the Magnum... That equates to a mid 15... Did you ask, "That thang got a hemi???"

This one runs 14.8's:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26192
(I'm not overly impressed, but it beats my three runs in the MM)

BlackHole
09-08-2004, 01:32 PM
I just noticed the time posted for the Magnum... That equates to a mid 15... Did you ask, "That thang got a hemi???"

This one runs 14.8's:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26192
(I'm not overly impressed, but it beats my three runs in the MM)

I was modded he wasn't but with 3000 miles on the odometer it should wakeup a little. This is my best time just got to go to a 1/4th track and get some hard numbers. Oh and I hit around 9.950 and about a 15.3 average time thats why I hate 1/8th to much guess work on the 1/4th times.

But it did have R/T badges so I'm assuming it was the Fake Hemi under the hood.

RCSignals
09-08-2004, 02:44 PM
I was modded he wasn't but with 3000 miles on the odometer it should wakeup a little. This is my best time just got to go to a 1/4th track and get some hard numbers. Oh and I hit around 9.950 and about a 15.3 average time thats why I hate 1/8th to much guess work on the 1/4th times.

You may have been "modded" a little, but he has quite a bit more displacement than you, and by specs should still easily "best" you.

QWK SVT
09-08-2004, 04:03 PM

It could've still had the hemi... From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of variance in the engines coming off the line. Buyers cross their fingers, and hope they get the mid 14-second version...

PS - By chance are you going to Lightning Fest, in Topeka?

BlackHole
09-08-2004, 04:15 PM
It could've still had the hemi... From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of variance in the engines coming off the line. Buyers cross their fingers, and hope they get the mid 14-second version...

PS - By chance are you going to Lightning Fest, in Topeka?

Just a tad far plus Vacation days are lacking .But maybe next year. If they have it that is.