PDA

View Full Version : Painting question...help?

CRUZTAKER
09-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Maybe one of you self painters can answer this question.

In this scenario I am using a rattle can...ie. spray paint, and and using high gloss enamel on a metal surface. The first coat goes on wonderfully with excellant coverage and shine. Four hours later I go and lay on a second coat and and whammo! The paint beginns to crackle and the entire finish is flakey and basically ruined and now in need of sanding and repainting.

Why does this occationally happen? And how can I avoid this pita in the future?

MARAUDER S/C #5
09-10-2004, 07:34 PM
What is it your trying to paint ?????????? :dunno:

Brutus
09-11-2004, 05:08 AM
I dont know for sure but maybe the first coat was not completely dry, so when you sprayed on the second coat, you had two layers drying at different rates which could cause the cracking. :rolleyes:

martyo
09-11-2004, 05:22 AM
Too much huffing as you put in the second coat?

Bradley G
09-11-2004, 05:31 AM
If the raw surface or previously painted surface (not your first coat) is not compatible with the paint your using*(chemicle reaction) .Sand the ugly off and use a good Primer as your base and try again .Sorry u had to do it twice.and stop huffing the fumes ,that won't help:up:

CRUZTAKER
09-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Thanks guys...this has happened before with just general around the yard painting of objects such as chairs and things. Perhaps it was the fact that the first coat didn't dry. I am using the same paint, from the same can, rustoleum, for each coat.

I'll be sanding something today...and it won't be fun.:down: Atleast I was smart enough to NOT repaint the other one when I saw this happen.

Donny Carlson
09-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys...this has happened before with just general around the yard painting of objects such as chairs and things.
Yah, back in my HS days, when you got on the varsity football team, the older players would haze the newbies by spray painting a part of their anatomy the school colors (black and gold), one color for each. The cracking and peeling happened no matter if you let the first coat dry, and it was real hard to catch them for the second coat.

Don't ask me how I know this.

teamrope
09-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Usually the spray paint has directions on the can. The stuff I use says you can apply a second coat after 1 hour, but any longer you have to wait 2 days.

When I followed the instructions it worked. When I didn't, I had the same results.

Marauderjack
09-12-2004, 04:39 AM
It seems if you wait too long....2-3 hours the paint is dry but not "cured" and a second coat will lift the first!!?? If the first coat is just "tacky" you can apply the second coat without any problems?? :o

Waiting 2-3 days usually requires sanding before the second coat!! :(

Try it on something that doesn't count to confirm!! :awe:

Marauderjack :cowboy:

CRUZTAKER
09-12-2004, 06:28 AM
Problem solved...prep the the piece correctly is likely the issue.

I bought a sandblaster and stripped it clean. Once I get all the sand out of my ears and other nether regions....I'm painting again....correctly!:2thumbs: