PDA

View Full Version : Followed by NJST for 10 Miles

Badger
09-16-2004, 01:32 PM
It's not alright to do the speed limit in NJ??? Is there a problem doing the speed limit with good visibility and dry roads? I had a trooper pull alongside, then drop behind me in a tailgating distance for 10 miles on 295 to the Del Mem bridge. He finally cut all the way to the left before the bridge in order to sit in the median. If I slowed down, he slowed down. After a few miles I actually wanted to have him turn on the lights and pull me over. That would have been fun. I even caught up to a slow car in the right lane just before an exit. I slowed down to about 55mph (65mph limit) just to see if he would cut around me. Nope just stayed there on my 6. After a while I started passing traffic, using signals as I always do. Has anyone else had this problem? or is it a problem? Maybe he just wanted to linger in the Marauder's aura??? :D:fishslap:

MARAUDER S/C #5
09-16-2004, 02:22 PM
He was probably just admiring your ride. :awe:

martyo
09-16-2004, 02:27 PM
It could have been worse. It could have been James following you. He would have followed you right to your driveway.

Mike Poore
09-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Has anyone else had this problem? or is it a problem? Maybe he just wanted to linger in the Marauder's aura??? :D:fishslap:
I think he wanted to see the car. If you had pulled over at a convenient spot I bet he would have stopped to chat. It happened to me twice, once in my 73 Montego GT (351SCJ)and in the '97 "arrest me red" Cobra. They're car guys y'know? I popped the hood on the Cobra and even offered to let him drive it, which he declined, but said he wished he could.

Agent M79
09-16-2004, 02:59 PM
It could have been worse. It could have been James following you. He would have followed you right to your driveway.
Fair warning: NC has concealed carry permits. :uzi:

Bigdogjim
09-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Happened to me in that neck of the woods a few weeks ago?

Don't know why they follow like that?

When the Trooper following me showed down to exit I looked in the rear view till he was half way through the ramp then floored it:):):)(just to the speed limit)

2003 MIB
09-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Maybe it's an odd question but I feel compeled to ask:

Do you have a Deadhead sticker or a "Legalize It" decal?

Bigdogjim
09-16-2004, 03:45 PM

I'll bet you got a gun rack in your pick-up. :razz: :run:

Dan
09-16-2004, 04:00 PM
If this isn't harassment it is intimidation.

The only things that you can do is to stop the car safely and let the cop make the call on whether to stop, too, or to call 911 and ask for the SP Desk Sargent. When you get him on the phone tell him to tell the cop behind you to pass you or pull you over.

Crap like this just p!sses me off. Can anyone tell?

-Dan

Krytin
09-16-2004, 04:37 PM
I think you're blocking! Don't hold back Dan, let it out - tell us how you really feel!

2003 MIB
09-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Well, yeah-I guess I do, Jim. I thought everybody did.:alone:

Badger
09-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Nope no gun rack, just a snoozing co-worker snooring his head off in the passenger seat. I've never been followed like that before. Very strange feeling. I guess he trusted me not to hit the brakes to avoid road debris. :D
I was wondering if I took an exit if he would follow me. If not for the fact that I had to get back to VA I would have stopped.
Wonder what I will do the next time (if it happens). Find the: 1)next exit, or 2) put on 4 ways and pull to the side, or 3) keep going. Choices choices.

Badger
09-16-2004, 05:07 PM
BTW which one is James??? The resident bear or spook?

Haggis
09-16-2004, 06:08 PM
BTW which one is James??? The resident bear or spook?

James (aka Woaface) is our resident Marauder stalker. He wants one so bad he was going to sell his stock (college fund) just to come to Indy to hang out with a bunch of car people and talk about their cars. :loco:
James is also an Honory member of the Capitol Area Marauders. :stooges:

vegasmarauder
09-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Just to shed a little light, it is possible he was just running your plates for registration, stolen, and warrant check. We have computers in all the marked units and a lot of the plain cars. It can take 2 to 10 minutes for the complete return, especially if you also want to do a driver's license status check. Out of state returns take longer than in-state plates. I drive a plain car and I do it a lot. If during the interim the car then slows down to impede traffic or change lanes witout a signal or some other violation then I may stop them and we can just wait for all the returns on the side of the road. If everything comes back clean and the plate returns to the proper model car, I'll just pull off or speed up and go look for another one. If the plate returns fictitious (some say "cold-plated") to a different make/model/year car then I'll wait for another unit in case it's a stolen car or is going to result in a vehicle pursuit. You NEVER want to walk up on an occupied stolen or a felony vehicle. True there are some that try to intimidate, but not all. I have had my own units run up and I can see they are running my Marauder plate. When the return comes back and they figure out who I am, they usually drive by with a wave or a smile.....

Constable
09-16-2004, 11:18 PM
I actually think this is all my fault... I was stopped on 95 in the area of exit 3 in february. The troop was so pissed at me that he bent my key to a 45 degree angle while he was holding it and yelling. (I deserved it) We won't get into the specifics, but if you drive a Marauder in the southwestern highways of NJ, look out. I was told not to enter the area for the rest of my career.

Bigdogjim
09-16-2004, 11:22 PM
For all the years and millions of miles I have driven in great land of our's I noticed NJ Troopers tailgate more than other state Troopers I have seen. :twocents:

Marauder386
09-17-2004, 04:47 AM
This happened to myself and the wife in the same area. Thing was we where going to NJ for a wedding. Missus got the special welcome going into the bridge area, I got it going out...I didnt understand it either....IMHO I figured it was my LE plates from South Carolina.

M386

Mike Poore
09-17-2004, 05:45 AM
I actually think this is all my fault... I was stopped on 95 in the area of exit 3 in february. The troop was so pissed at me that he bent my key to a 45 degree angle while he was holding it and yelling. (I deserved it) We won't get into the specifics, but if you drive a Marauder in the southwestern highways of NJ, look out. I was told not to enter the area for the rest of my career.
Now he tells us! :fishslap:

Dan
09-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Just to shed a little light, it is possible he was just running your plates for registration, stolen, and warrant check. We have computers in all the marked units and a lot of the plain cars. It can take 2 to 10 minutes for the complete return, especially if you also want to do a driver's license status check. Out of state returns take longer than in-state plates. I drive a plain car and I do it a lot. If during the interim the car then slows down to impede traffic or change lanes witout a signal or some other violation then I may stop them and we can just wait for all the returns on the side of the road. If everything comes back clean and the plate returns to the proper model car, I'll just pull off or speed up and go look for another one. If the plate returns fictitious (some say "cold-plated") to a different make/model/year car then I'll wait for another unit in case it's a stolen car or is going to result in a vehicle pursuit. You NEVER want to walk up on an occupied stolen or a felony vehicle. True there are some that try to intimidate, but not all. I have had my own units run up and I can see they are running my Marauder plate. When the return comes back and they figure out who I am, they usually drive by with a wave or a smile.....

Hey Vegas,

Thanks for that explanation.

Did you have a black CV for sale on eBay earlier this year? One that was done up to look like an MM?

-Dan

Dan
09-17-2004, 05:53 AM

Details. Please. Details!!!!

I have just got to hear this story. And I am sure that everyone else wants to, as well. Even if you PM it, at least let us know somehow. :)

-Dan

Bluerauder
09-17-2004, 07:05 AM
I had a trooper pull alongside, then drop behind me in a tailgating distance for 10 miles on 295 to the Del Mem bridge.
I thought the CAM vote on James was for "Ornery Member" not "Honorary Member" ... :dunno: :D

The tailgating trooper is indeed very odd. Of course, driving the speed limit on the Jersey Turnpike might be considered suspicious behavior. I think that I may have put my blinker on and moved to the right lane (or another lane) or kinda waved him around. I don't like anyone hanging on my rear bumper regardless of who it is. :mad2:

SHERIFF
09-17-2004, 07:52 AM
Just to shed a little light, it is possible he was just running your plates for registration, stolen, and warrant check......

BINGO!

We have a winner! :)

Marauder
09-17-2004, 08:07 AM
BINGO!

We have a winner! :)

That's probably it...I had a suffolk county car follow me for about 7-8 miles and then all of a sudden, he pulled off and turned on a street.

As long as you're not breaking the law, they're just doing their job...granted, tailgating is a bit dangerous because what if an emergency arises like an animal crossing and you have to suddenly slow down.

SHERIFF
09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
...granted, tailgating is a bit dangerous because what if an emergency arises like an animal crossing and you have to suddenly slow down.

Can you spell R-O-O-K-I-E? :)

vegasmarauder
09-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Dan,
No that wasn't me with the CV. But I think it was a guy on the department though. It looked better than it showed on E-bay. I'm pretty sure he sold it.

LiLWrink
09-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Funny guy!
<HR style="COLOR: #dddddd" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by 2003 MIB

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Bigdogjim
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well, yeah-I guess I do, Jim. I thought everybody did.:alone: [/QUOTE]
You guys had me laughing so hard, the other folks who work here are now walking inconspiciously up and down the hall, trying to peek in and see what had me laughing so loud.:cowboy:
I collect firearms, shoot sporting clays as often as I can afford, and also love to shoot competition in long range shooting matches every chance I get...which is only as often as I can afford. I was compelled to say that a month ago I was given a new sticker to add to the collection...
It Reads:

-SNIPER-
Dont Bother Running!
You will Only Die Tired!

Those remarks just tickled me!

2003 MIB
09-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Those remarks just tickled me!
Me too! Big Dog rarely fails to make me laugh...Logan's not big on "gun chat"* but there are lots of shooters on this site. In the LSCC, Hemlock and RVT04 have been competition shooters for many years. Very cool though- gives us one more thing to talk about before those Thursday meetings start....:2thumbs:

* He doesn't have gun issues (I assuming- we've never talked about it) but it seems to be a topic that brings out the worst in folks. Rational, intellegent people become nutty over the "right or wrong" aspects of gun ownership. It almost always turns into an ugly "us vs.them" kinda thing. The Boss doesn't like drama.

Dan
09-22-2004, 04:23 AM
Dan,
No that wasn't me with the CV. But I think it was a guy on the department though. It looked better than it showed on E-bay. I'm pretty sure he sold it.

I actually almost bought that car. It's funny how small the world can be.

-Dan