PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's New Car

woaface
09-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Well, by next weekend anyways. Today we drove a BMW Z4, Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35 Coupe 6speed. He was impressed with the first two but now he's not going back to those lots after he drove the Infiniti. Next weekend we'll test drive an SVT Cobra so it's either Cobra or G35. I was honestly impressed with the G35, it was comfortable, powerful (very powerful I've never seen my dad drive so seriously so fast...as in 80mph in a 35)

I'm HOPING he'll get the Cobra, but if he get's a G35 Coupe I'm not complaning, I won't be driving it often anyways, and it's got rear wheel drive and 280 or so horsepower. It makes excellent use of it's power. The SVT will slaughter it, but the most important thing to my dad from what I can tell is price and headroom!

He's 6'3...if he doesn't fit in a Cobra, or fits tightly, he will not buy it. That's what got him out of the 350Z.

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!!!

Bluerauder
09-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Well, by next weekend anyways. Today we drove a BMW Z4, Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35 Coupe 6speed. He was impressed with the first two but now he's not going back to those lots after he drove the Infiniti. Next weekend we'll test drive an SVT Cobra so it's either Cobra or G35. I was honestly impressed with the G35, it was comfortable, powerful (very powerful I've never seen my dad drive so seriously so fast...as in 80mph in a 35)

I'm HOPING he'll get the Cobra, but if he get's a G35 Coupe I'm not complaning, I won't be driving it often anyways, and it's got rear wheel drive and 280 or so horsepower. It makes excellent use of it's power. The SVT will slaughter it, but the most important thing to my dad from what I can tell is price and headroom!

He's 6'3...if he doesn't fit in a Cobra, or fits tightly, he will not buy it. That's what got him out of the 350Z.

I see a G35 in your future. At 6'3" the Mustang will be a tight squeeze for your Dad.

Silver_04
09-18-2004, 05:17 PM
My dad's 6'4" and drives an '03 Mach 1. He's never complained about being short on room or being uncomfortable, and the car is a 5 speed. I'm 6'2" and had an '02 Stang GT and didn't have any problems fitting or shifting.

I tried a Cobra but one of the things that kept me from buying one was the S/C whine; I hated it.

You know you can pick up a C5 Corvette for just a tick more than the cars you've mentioned? Dealers really want to clear the lots for the C6's. And a Vette is a lot cheaper to insure than a Cobra.

Bigdogjim
09-18-2004, 05:36 PM
I can understand the "don't fit issue" :mad:

If you plan on spending a fair amount of time behind the wheel then you better be comfey:)

Hey James he can always have the drivers side sunvisor removed:lol:

woaface
09-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Even though it's a tick more, the $34 on the G35 (from $36k) is still a tad more expensive than he wanted to go. I don't think he's financing, just writing a check.

SHERIFF
09-18-2004, 06:23 PM
........ if he get's a G35 Coupe I'm not complaning, I won't be driving it often anyways, and it's got rear wheel drive and 280 or so horsepower.

* 3.5-liter V6
* 280 Horsepower @ 6200 rpm
* 260 lb-ft of Torque
* 24 Valves
* High-flow Intake
* Continuously Variable Valve Timing
* Low-friction Pistons, Cams, Crankshaft
* Aluminum Engine Block and Heads
* Available Short-throw 6-speed Manual
* 5-speed Automatic with Manual Shift Mode
* Variable Capacity Muffler

woaface
09-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Yeah...that's what I said!

Paul T. Casey
09-18-2004, 06:55 PM
I "test drove" bunch of cars prior to the Marauder purchase. I was most impressed by the Infiniti. I thought it was a better driving car than the Lexus or the BMW. I didn't get around to the Mercedes, and I was already decided on the Marauder. But the G35 is a drivers car, IMHO.

woaface
09-18-2004, 07:03 PM
The Paint on the G35 is "cross weave" Instead of spraying straight across they go in circles or criss-cross the undercoat...the paint is VERY nice.

martyo
09-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Just make sure that whatever car he buys that Elaine likes it and is comfortable.

Donny Carlson
09-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Just make sure that whatever car he buys that Elaine likes it and is comfortable.
Elaine.....

(sorry, channeling He Whos Name We Do Not Speak..)

Patrick
09-18-2004, 07:43 PM
I can understand the "don't fit issue" :mad:

If you plan on spending a fair amount of time behind the wheel then you better be comfey:)

Hey James he can always have the drivers side sunvisor removed:lol:

I will be nice Jim but its tempting.
:high5: :lol: :lol:

Donny Carlson
09-18-2004, 07:45 PM
The Paint on the G35 is "cross weave" Instead of spraying straight across they go in circles or criss-cross the undercoat...the paint is VERY nice.Yeah, but this paint is available only on the days they serve Fugu in the cafeteria.

http://www.simpsonloft.net/dandp/avr/blowfish.gif

http://www.simpsonloft.net/dandp/avr/toshiro.jpg

http://www.simpsonloft.net/dandp/avr/joyeux.jpg

BTW, the only Infinity cars built in the US is the Q45 and their new SUV.

Lets see:

Ford Mustang SVT: United Auto Workers

Infinity G35: Not United Auto Workers.

I vote for the Ford.

Patrick
09-18-2004, 07:58 PM

They are both impressive cars!!! I was ready to buy a Cobra before I decided on the MM. Whatever HE decideds to buy and LET you drive like you said you would be happy!! Right? You are responsible young man and I am sure your father will let you drive whichever he decides on. But just my 2 cents when your laying out that kind of money others people dont mean alot. Not being hateful or mean. Just my opinion. Cool? Patrick

mmmmmmarauder
09-18-2004, 08:23 PM
for around $40,000 you can buy a 2004 Marauder and install enough modifications
(supercharger and improved audio system comes to mind)...to make you think you have a roomy FOUR DOOR (American...ok maybe Canadian made...kinda UAW...American label anyways) Mustang Cobra...in fact you could get faster depending on how much you are willing to spend...

I am surprised you are down to those two choices...

They are BOTH uni-bodies (think corrugated paper...er...sheet metal)

Generally trucks and Panther platforms are the only body on frames out there...think two steel beams under your body...

And oh yeah, when they make TAXIS and POLICE INTERCEPTORS from lesser equipped models you can count on way more than 100,000 miles on the odometer...my record is 279,000 miles...two transmissions and a lot of synthetic fluids...and a pre-luber...on a VERY low tech '82 Crown Victoria with a 351 engine...

BUY AMERICAN

jgc61sr2002
09-18-2004, 08:29 PM
for around $40,000 you can buy a 2004 Marauder and install enough modifications
(supercharger and improved audio system comes to mind)...to make you think you have a roomy FOUR DOOR (American...ok maybe Canadian made...kinda UAW...American label anyways) Mustang Cobra...in fact you could get faster depending on how much you are willing to spend...

I am surprised you are down to those two choices...

They are BOTH uni-bodies (think corrugated paper...er...sheet metal)

Generally trucks and Panther platforms are the only body on frames out there...think two steel beams under your body...

And oh yeah, when they make TAXIS and POLICE INTERCEPTORS from lesser equipped models you can count on way more than 100,000 miles on the odometer...my record is 279,000 miles...two transmissions and a lot of synthetic fluids...and a pre-luber...on a VERY low tech '82 Crown Victoria with a 351 engine...

BUY AMERICAN

I couldn't more about the full perimeter frame. That platform has to be the safest passenger car on the market today. IMO.

Donny Carlson
09-18-2004, 09:23 PM
I now return this hijacked thread back to the subject of Woaface's daddys potential new ride. Please feel free to start a new political screed thread in The Lounge.

Joe Walsh
09-18-2004, 10:16 PM
* 3.5-liter V6
* 260 lb-ft of Torque
* 24 Valves
* High-flow Intake
* Low-friction Pistons, Cams, Crankshaft

WTF is a variable capacity muffler??? Is this the latest Ricer speak for "we really need more cubes in the engine...not the muffler!" I'll stick to my Magnaflow "Uni-Capacity" Mufflers!!

Joe Walsh
09-18-2004, 11:23 PM
* 3.5-liter V6
* 260 lb-ft of Torque
* 24 Valves
* High-flow Intake
* Low-friction Pistons, Cams, Crankshaft .....BFD!!!!

My 'work' vehicle is a '96 S10 Blazer with the 4.3L Vortec V6 and it has 216,000 miles on it (I use Mobil 1 religiously)....I will guarantee that my 'ole Chevy has Low-friction Pistons, Cam & Crankshaft....

P.S. Can you tell that I HATE JAP JUNK????

JamesHecker
09-19-2004, 12:37 AM
martyo
This message has been deleted by martyo. Reason: I figured I would just save the moderators some time

That was considerate of ya :beer:

woaface
09-19-2004, 06:17 AM
What a nice looking thread!

That Infiniti pulled like no tomorrow with that engine. It's a 3.5 liter V6 with 280 horses. Again, it's the only car I'll make the "Buy American" Exception for. My sister who used to work closely with Infiniti said don't be suprised if they start building that car here in a few years. Anyways, that car went like a mo-fo. And had a nice enough interior too.

Competition is competition, and I'm all for it. I'll still buy American, but this is my dad's money not mine. American car companies are forced to make something of themselves and the benchmarks keep getting raised and the American cars I love keep getting better. Each country should make what it does best. If we suck at making electronics, let the japs do it. If the japs suck at building hot-rods, let us do it. We still have the hardest workers and most controling economy in the world...why do you think the japs want to sell cars over here? Because it's a great market. Business is business, and even though the funds go back to Japan, it's still helping our economy grow. Besides, foreign companies are using that money to invest over here in things such as dealerships, plants, and R/D facilities.

Let the Japanese have their chance...we may very well have a comeback in that market one day.

Bluerauder
09-19-2004, 06:41 AM
My dad's 6'4" and drives an '03 Mach 1. He's never complained about being short on room or being uncomfortable, and the car is a 5 speed.
I get the honors of driving my daughter's '99 Mustang in for service once in awhile. It is a nice ride; but I definitely notice the shortage of headroom and feel "squeezed" by the driver's door. Maybe it's a personal width issue. Maybe its just the abrupt transition from the spacious and comfortable Marauder. :rofl:

This thread must be a record for the number of deleted posts. :up:

woaface
09-19-2004, 06:44 AM
He was also going to test drive an RX-8 but I didn't mention that since I'm pretty sure he won't fit. I love being my height though...I fit in everything!

woaface
09-19-2004, 06:47 AM
And I hope you guys aren't scared of some foreign car companies pulling some business from Ford or Chevy. Remember, because of them, Ford now owns Aston Martin, Jaguar, Volvo, and even a controlling portion of Mazda.

jstevens
09-19-2004, 07:51 AM
I would love to ride in an RX8 just to see what its like. I understand the engine is high rpm running due to some design thing.

bigslim
09-19-2004, 08:42 AM
James, I had beaten a couple of those with my old MM. I will say one thing, If your dad gets that Infinity you have to give back that jacket.

Donny Carlson
09-19-2004, 08:51 AM
And I hope you guys aren't scared of some foreign car companies pulling some business from Ford or Chevy. Remember, because of them, Ford now owns Aston Martin, Jaguar, Volvo, and even a controlling portion of Mazda.
Competition is not the issue, at least for me. Support of my union brothers and sisters, is. I was giving serious consideration to an FX-45 before I bought my Marauder, but came to my senses and decided that it wasn't assembled by the UAW or CAW, forget it.

Silver_04
09-19-2004, 08:56 AM
I would love to ride in an RX8 just to see what its like. I understand the engine is high rpm running due to some design thing.

Wankel rotary...no pistons.

James, why is your dad paying cash for the car? With the crazy interest rates right now he could take that 30K and invest it and make money while paying off the car.

Patrick
09-19-2004, 09:04 AM
James here it is. Your dad is going to buy what he wants. Bottom line. Is his money. When I decide to lay out my HARD earned Money it my choice!!!! If its forigen or not!!! Sorry Donny no offense but the union dont worrk for me. But that maybe another thread. But Back to my point. If have $30,000 to spend on a vehicle and its between a lets say for a F150 or Toyata Tacoma. If i like the toyata better, I BUY!!!! Bottom line its your money. Buy what the Heck you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woaface
09-19-2004, 09:53 AM
I think F-150 and Titan is more comparable. What my dad does with his money doesn't dictate what I do with my jacket. He's my step-dad just incase, my real dad would love a Marauder. I hope you were joking BigSlim, I'm otherwise suprised that you said that.

People say the wankel going around and around is better than pistons going up and down because there's not a huge direction change all the time which makes more power and is less stressful or something like that. I don't think it makes a big enough difference. Just like I expressed disapproval in the Infiniti manager bashing the pushrod's in the 300C.

Don't worry ya'll, once my dad drives the SVT, I'll be suprised if he get's a G35...but it's a leading condender.

Patrick
09-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Never Mind!!! Its time for football anyway!!!

woaface
09-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Football?:confused:

hitchhiker
09-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Competition is not the issue, at least for me. Support of my union brothers and sisters, is. I was giving serious consideration to an FX-45 before I bought my Marauder, but came to my senses and decided that it wasn't assembled by the UAW or CAW, forget it.

Since when have Canadian and Mexican workers been 'brothers'?

Donny Carlson
09-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Since when have Canadian and Mexican workers been 'brothers'?
If both belong to a union, they are union brothers.

Donny Carlson
09-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Football?:confused:Yah, it's that sport that teenage boys who aren't busy with dancing lessons play or watch on the weekends and/or Monday nights.

Smokie
09-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Hey James, your dad gotta buy what he likes. I saw a black G35 the other day and it looked nice...until he came to a stop next to my car... and then it looked insignificant.:cool5:

Patrick
09-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Football?:confused:

I am going to let this go!!!! :nocomm: :nocomm:

bigslim
09-19-2004, 04:59 PM
James, I was joking with you. Afterall, you can wear your dad's jacket when he gets his car. Oops, he won't get one with the Infinity or Cobra.

merc406
09-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Ain't much for foreign nameplates even tho they may have more American made components than the US built stuff.
Just looked at the Pontiacs new G6, yep the one Oprah ( GM ) gave away =ling 278 cars, anyways besides that smart marketing, this is one NICE vehicle, Ok so the motor's built in Mexico, hey this is nice nice for 22,000. :trophy: :trophy:

BUCKWHEAT
09-19-2004, 06:05 PM
I think F-150 and Titan is more comparable. What my dad does with his money doesn't dictate what I do with my jacket. He's my step-dad just incase, my real dad would love a Marauder. I hope you were joking BigSlim, I'm otherwise suprised that you said that.

People say the wankel going around and around is better than pistons going up and down because there's not a huge direction change all the time which makes more power and is less stressful or something like that. I don't think it makes a big enough difference. Just like I expressed disapproval in the Infiniti manager bashing the pushrod's in the 300C.

Don't worry ya'll, once my dad drives the SVT, I'll be suprised if he get's a G35...but it's a leading condender.

James, your real dad is the one who does the work. John

woaface
09-19-2004, 07:08 PM
I keep telling him that the G35 is awesome and that it'll turn heads...but the SVT has more kick, is 10 times more awesome, and will turn a lot more heads. He just has to be comfortable.

James, I was joking with you. Afterall, you can wear your dad's jacket when he gets his car. Oops, he won't get one with the Infinity or Cobra.

Patrick
09-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Hey James. I hope you and your DAD enjoy whatever you buy. That was my POINT! Too each is his own! Could you please have this thread closed. It has strayed once before and I think it has served its purpose. When you and your dad get your new vehicle post another thread and let us know what happened. Thanks Patrick.

MERCMAN
09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Great Idea,, this thread really took the "road less traveled"