PDA

View Full Version : One spendy speeding ticket...

FiveO
09-21-2004, 10:54 AM
205 in a 65.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S2677.html?cat=1

WABASHA (AP) - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

Now dats moving..... :awe:

Definitely not smart either.... :grad:

MAD-3R
09-21-2004, 10:57 AM
"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

That is the quote of the year.

FiveO
09-21-2004, 11:01 AM

Ground hamburger comes to mind.

:food: ;)

2003 MIB
09-21-2004, 11:16 AM
20-year-old
Young, dumb and full of...y'all know the rest.
Scary stuff.

Patrick
09-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Ground hamburger comes to mind.

:food: ;)

At 200mph, very little gound hamburger left!!!
:drumstck: :drumstck:

wesman
09-21-2004, 12:30 PM
At 200mph, very little gound hamburger left!!!
:drumstck: :drumstck:
Cooked hamburger from sliding inside leathers.

CRUZTAKER
09-21-2004, 01:19 PM
.....driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit ...
Classic.....:burn:

MAD-3R
09-21-2004, 01:22 PM
I bet in the years to come, that ticket is hung up frammed in his garage. If he lives that long.

jgc61sr2002
09-21-2004, 01:25 PM

A blotter.

Patrick
09-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Cooked hamburger from sliding inside leathers.

ouch!!!!!!

Patrick
09-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Just curiuos, How much would that ticket cost??

Bluerauder
09-21-2004, 01:44 PM
......... he was courting death at 200 mph.
Ya Think??? :rofl:

I have had BMW motorcycles pass me like I was standing still on the Autobahn in Germany while I was running close to 120 mph. I figured that the leather body suits were intended to keep the big parts in one place.

cyclone03
09-21-2004, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=FiveO]
The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

QUOTE]

You know the term "reckless driving" always makes me laugh.
I meen the guy had no crash,so he drove wreck less right? Isn't that the idea when you drive?

I also have trouble with being ticketed for speeding too,so what if the road is clear,but if he was passing cars at that speed then,well the road was not clear was it?

I think car drivers that weave in and out of traffic,balancing a coffee cup on one knee,shaving,talking on the cell,and scarfing down a baggle are more dangeress than some kid blasting down a desserted road at 200mph.Without an accedent.

Mike Poore
09-21-2004, 05:19 PM

:grad:
What are they gonna do; take his license? :rofl:

Bigdogjim
09-21-2004, 05:40 PM
QUOTE]
I also have trouble with being ticketed for speeding too,so what if the road is clear,but if he was passing cars at that speed then,well the road was not clear was it?[/QUOTE]

I have long thought the same thing?

But the law is the law and must be enforced :bop:

Patrick
09-21-2004, 05:54 PM
QUOTE]
I also have trouble with being ticketed for speeding too,so what if the road is clear,but if he was passing cars at that speed then,well the road was not clear was it?

I have long thought the same thing?

But the law is the law and must be enforced :bop:[/QUOTE]

Yes the law is the law!!! 200mph on a NASCAR track cool but not the streets!!

Krytin
09-21-2004, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he did some jail time for that!

Patrick
09-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Question. I know going that fast would be automatic arrest and car or bike impounded. But just wanting to know by state what would the cost of the ticket be??

jgc61sr2002
09-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Question. I know going that fast would be automatic arrest and car or bike impounded. But just wanting to know by state what would the cost of the ticket be??

The cost would probably be set by the Judge. IMO Big bucks.

SHERIFF
09-21-2004, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he did some jail time for that!

He will definitely do jail time. I would guess at least 6 months. Never seen a judge take kindly to 40 mph over the speed limit, much less 140. :)