PDA

View Full Version : Time to Post This!

Patrick
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
I have tried to reframe from posting this but I think know is the time. But this is whats going on with me. I am an ALCOHOLIC! Thier I said it!! And i have admmitted to my self. And I need help. I am currenty getting treatment. Its along road . But I have my famaliy and friends for support! I have so many people that care about me, it;s scarry. So Much support Icant start to name everyone. I just know this is along road ahead.

I have tried to explain this with a few members here and it has fallen on deaf ears! Part my fault. I wil execpt that!

I respect everyones opions and I dont want to change them. Todd and I have have some issues. I am not calling him out. I have respect for Todd. And Yes even Marty. I just ask for respect! An I will do the same. If not No Biggie! No prob!

This is my problem and I have created it. So I am going to deal with it! That is why some of my been like an A hole! Beer has been talking not me.

Sorry to vent but needed to.

Patrick!

RCSignals
09-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi Patrick. I hope you have a successful journey.

BillyGman
09-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Pat, I'm sure you've heard this before, but it's great that you've admitted that you have a problem w/this, since you would never be able to conquer it w/out first admitting it. But not so much to anyone else, but rather to yourself. I appreciate your honesty though. This isn't going to be an easy road for you (I mean the road to recovery) but that doesn't mean that you cannot be successful at it. The bottom line is that if you want it bad enough, you can be successful at this, and w/out ever going back to it.

But despite all the help that's offered to you by others, if you don't want to be fully recovered from this, then you never will be. The choice is yours. I hope I'm not coming across as your dad or anything. It's just that I've recovered from a similar habit a long time ago, and it's now been decades, and I've never went back. I gave you an opportunity to talk to me about this before, and you chose not to. Perhaps you had your reasons, and that's all cool. The offer still stands, however I must tell you that I had no idea until now that this was your problem. Again, the bottom line is, that I can relate to what you must be going through w/this, and I know that you can conquer it, but you have to want to conquer it. If you do, then you will. And I'm speaking specifically about the alcoholism itself.

sailsmen
09-22-2004, 02:55 AM
The first step to reform is admitting you have been an A Hole. All the other steps are smaller and easier. :sunshine:

Good luck and we will pray for you.

MarauderMark
09-22-2004, 04:11 AM
Hey Pat.
Good luck on your jorney.there will be temptation on the way .if you need some help on your way then dont hesitate to call me ANYTIME!!! :chat:

Smokie
09-22-2004, 04:29 AM
You took the first step toward recovery already... calling the problem by it's name, the support will be there for you, but inner strength has to come from you and when you are feeling weak the ultimate source of strength is God...don't be shy ...ask for strength.

woaface
09-22-2004, 05:07 AM
I'll second what Smokie said...thank you Jaiver. Your a big man Patrick, and it won't always be easy, but nothing worth having ever is. Except pancakes:food: I don't know if you got my past PM or not because I never got a reply, but you're steps way ahead of some people in my family for admitting your problem and doing something about it. God bless you.

Haggis
09-22-2004, 05:40 AM
Patrick, I know what you are going through, I was a heavy drinker until a few years ago. I quit cold turkey at first and that last a while, but I was back to drinking again in a short time and then on and off numerous times. Now after so many years I still have a drink now and then, but never to the point where I lose control. If you would like to talk just send me a PM, be glad to shoot the BS with ya.

Bluerauder
09-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Best wishes Patrick on getting this all sorted out. :up:

TheDealer
09-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Good luck Patrick. You're headed in the right direction. Anytime you need a shoulder, pm me. I'm here to help. RAY

Dr Caleb
09-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Be strong Patrick. It takes strength to come this far, and you are that much closer to taking your life back.

We're here if you need us.

SHERIFF
09-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Let's talk about the alcoholism for a minute. My father worked hard all his life. Smith's Transfer. He made a very good living. Nice homes. New cars and trucks every year. Raised 3 decent children, I am one of them. :)

Then he retired and died of cancer.

Was he an alcoholic? I like to think not. When he did drink, he drank high octane moonshine only. The point being, no matter what he drank or how much, it totally ruined his liver. He passed away a miserable death at the age of 64. Never even got to enjoy his retirement. Thankfully, my mother now gets his retirement checks (Teamster's Union). Ask yourself, do you really want to do the same thing he did? My father should have lived into his nineties. All my grandparents did.

bigslim
09-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Patrick, you have already taken the first step to a better future. I have had members of my family with the same problems. Remember one thing, we are all here for you.

Silver_04
09-22-2004, 09:23 AM
You're on the right path. Good luck.

MM03MOK
09-22-2004, 09:28 AM
The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

Dan
09-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Patrick,

As already stated, fully HALF of solving a problem is admitting to having one.

Best of luck to you.

-Dan

dwasson
09-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Patrick, my dad has been dry for over 20 years. He's still an alcoholic but he's not a drunk. He has been healthy, happy and less of a jerk too. It's a doable and a desirable goal.

That said, even though I don't often drink I've noticed that they put a lot more ********* in those bottles than they used to.

MYSTA KANG
09-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Patrick all I can tell you is to get down on your knees, pray and ask GOD to help you with this. Hey man no one is perfect and we all have our faults. The right people can help you through this but you have to want to help yourself first. Stay strong and find something that will keep you busy, that will help alot.

KANG

cyclone03
09-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Patrick, To my knowlage we have never met personelly.
That said I am HONORED you consider me (and the members of this board) close enough to include us in your journey to a new beginning.

I have nothing to give except my friendship and support to help you along.

You have taken the first step to your new life,I will help as best I can,I will offer you a hand when needed and a foot if that don't work.
That is what friends do for each other!

2003 MIB
09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
You're gonna be fine, Patrick. I've followed your posts and know you've got a lot going for you and have now figured out what you need and don't need in your life. We've all done things we aren't proud of- we often just don't admit it to others (or ourselves). That takes heart, Sir. You have heart. That and the next 11 steps is all you need. Seek out a friend of Bill.

Patrick
09-22-2004, 04:33 PM
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!! With the help and support of my famaliy and all of you I feel better about going thru this. I have my first Doc appoitmeant tomorrow afternoon. So starts the road trip.

Just abit lost for words so I will stop for know. Your kindness is truely appreciated!!!

Thanks, Patrick

Petrograde
09-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Patrick,.. we may have gone back and forth a few times, but I really do wish you the best. Like a few have said one of the hardest parts is already past you.

Tom

MARAUDER S/C #5
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Sorry, I do not believe in god :bs:but I do love beer! :beer:
This is just my brutally honest opinion speaking on behalf of people that do not believe in god and also speaking on behalf of beer. As with all addictive things you need to show restraint and have strong willpower. Again, just expressing my beliefs like everyone else here so don't have a hissy fit or delete/edit my post. Thank you, have a nice day!

:razz:

Patrick
09-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Sorry, I do not believe in god :bs:but I do love beer! :beer:
This is just my brutally honest opinion speaking on behalf of people that do not believe in god and also speaking on behalf of beer. As with all addictive things you need to show restraint and have strong willpower. Again, just expressing my beliefs like everyone else here so don't have a hissy fit or delete/edit my post. Thank you, have a nice day!

:razz:

And I thank you for your reply. And As I started this thread I request that It NOT be removed!!!

For good or bad I respect everyones opinions. I am not in agreemant with you, but thanks for your thoughts!

Patrick

CRUZTAKER
09-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Good luck Patrick...it's a tough road that smooths out over time. I have at times questioned my own dependencies, and made attempts to see how they effect others around me.

You have taken the first step, and you are not alone. :up:

Bradley G
09-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Congradulations Patrick,on the first step toward your twelve step recovery.I celebrated three years of sobriety in july:sunshine: If you ever need to talk/vent please feel free to rattle my cage anytime!If you follow the program you will start to feel again.takes somthing special, though (will power) is more like "Powerless" to an alcoholic.take care and may god bless you!

rayjay
09-23-2004, 01:31 AM
One step at a time. There are twelve. If you do one a year, you'll be sober 12 years. Best wishes, get a sponsor and recite the above prayer on a regular basis. It works if you work it.

BillyGman
09-23-2004, 01:46 AM
I just want to point out that there are those who quit some serious habits of mind altering substances w/out any "12 step" programs, and have succeeded in staying away from such things for good (I'm one of them). For me there was merely one step..."STOP".

Bradley G
09-23-2004, 03:40 AM
Sorry I was tired yesterday after painting over 9hours. It's twelve steps. Some (very few) are able to practice recovery W/O the program.To increase the likelihood you stay sober,Find a group that you are comfortable with and follow the guiedance an wisdom of sponsor.Getting help does not mean admitting you are "weak".For me it meant : keeping my family in tack ,career, home,Eventhough there are people I don't share company with anymore,(old drinkin buddies)I'm not sure how good those buddies were.Keep the faith Patrick ,and remember your real friends love you despite your short commings.The first weeks are the toughest ( for me) hang in there, everyday you will feel a bit better.
One step at a time. There are twelve. If you do one a year, you'll be sober 12 years. Best wishes, get a sponsor and recite the above prayer on a regular basis. It works if you work it.

rayjay
09-23-2004, 04:42 AM
I just want to point out that there are those who quit some serious habits of mind altering substances w/out any "12 step" programs, and have succeeded in staying away from such things for good (I'm one of them). For me there was merely one step..."STOP".I know that it can be done that way, I have a close relative that after getting a DWI he did it on his own. He is quite comfortable with it after 9 yrs. Too bad he didn't do it sooner, he is now living on borrowed time. Mainly because of the damage he did to himself over many years.

GordonB
09-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Patrick,
You have taken the first step in a LOOOONg road to recovery. We are here for you when you need us and will try to support you whenever we meet up together!.
GordonB

Patrick
09-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Well I have just been sitting and just hanging out here tonight. Still trying to figure out the Marauder Warning thread.

But went to the counseler for my first visit. Went well!!! Learned a few things about myself. We didnt go over the 12 steps. We are in stage 1. And he setting up some meetings here in town. Group sessions. He is located in Chattanooga.

He acutally gave me homework!!! Not again!!!! Just some questions to fill out. And Today I am only to have 4 beers. Write the times down. Tommorrow 3. Sat is 2. And Sunday is 1. And then I think the real run will begin.

But 1 point I want to say and it was brought up so I want to adress it. My drinking was done completely after work was dun!!! And I thank the lord for this, I am a drunk that enough brain cells left to not DRIVE!!!!!!

Thanks again and the PM's I have recieved are a big help!!!

Patrick