PDA

View Full Version : % Huuricanne IVAN Damage Observations

sailsmen
09-25-2004, 09:41 PM
:cry:

Drove from New Orleans to Pensacola to see a client in the Marine business in Pensacola.

Starting at the Gulf Shores State Hwy 59 exit, about 35 miles from Pensacola, saw evidence of wind damage.

All of the trees on both sides of the I10 were bent in a Nothernly direction. 90+% of trees that snapped were pointing in a SW direction. This indicated to me that the wind initially blew in from the South bending the trees to the North. As Ivan moved North the wind then shifted to the North East and intensified.

There were no I10 exit signs for Pensacola, apparently they blew away. Soon after exiting I saw brown foilage, indication of a storm surge bringing in salt water.

Most structures showed some damage ( as in missing roof tiles ), some structures were completely destroyed.

My client has a Marina which is 1 mile up a narrow Bayou off Pensacola Bay, 10 miles in from the Gulf, North of Santa Rosa Island.

The dry storage yard is approxiamtely 12' above the Bayou. The storm surge at this location at least 15'.

I began to ponder why were some building/vessels untouched, (not even dirty, no debris or water spots, look like they were just polished and waxed) while others 10' or less away were demolished?

I previously mistakenly thought ( I have lived thru several ) a Hurricane was a wall of wind and the storm surge was a wall of water. This is not the case.

I am convinced a Hurricane is an energy Swiss Cheese, as in wind with holes in it were there is no or very little wind. The same for the storm surge, in some cases due to differences in topography, the storm surge is also a Swiss Cheese with holes in it were there is little water.

It is also evident that a Hurricane lobs pin point laser like blast of energy, much like a precesion guided bomb. The problem is no one knows were these energy holes will be or were the blast of energy will hit.

I am convinced had Ivan struck New Orleans, being an average of 10' below sea level, thens of thousands would have drowned and there would still be 10 of water in New Orleans!

Marauderjack
09-26-2004, 05:12 AM
A lot of the localized destruction is from the hundreds of small tornadoes spawned at and around the eye.....mostly North and East of the eye!!

What amazes me is the amount of energy a storm like this contains!!! :argh:

Florida has surely caught HELL this season!!

Hang in there Florida!!! :flag:

Marauderjack :cool4: