PDA

View Full Version : Best Ford Made????

bigslim
09-28-2004, 08:27 PM
The best Ford being made now is not even a Ford. It is the MazdaSpeed 6 that will be introduced next year. It has a turbocharged 2.3 liter engine with 274 hp and 280 lb ft of torque. It also has all-wheel-drive and 18 inch wheels. My question is why should I buy a Ford Five Hundred when Ford sells this great looking and performing car? I included some pictures of it.

bigslim
09-28-2004, 08:29 PM
A couple more.

Joe Walsh
09-28-2004, 08:32 PM
The best Ford being made now is not even a Ford. It is the MazdaSpeed 6 that will be introduced next year. It has a turbocharged 2.3 liter engine with 274 hp and 280 lb ft of torque. It also has all-wheel-drive and 18 inch wheels. My question is why should I buy a Ford Five Hundred when Ford sells this great looking and performing car? I included some pictures of it.

They (Mazda) wouldn't be considering a wagon version????
I like what Volvo is doing with their T5 wagons..but I don't like Volvo interiors.

Tallboy
09-28-2004, 08:32 PM
if you like a car well enough to own it, and can afford it, you should buy it. i've never owned a foreign car, but the line between domestic and import gets blurrier all the time.

Joe Walsh
09-28-2004, 08:34 PM
if you like a car well enough to own it, and can afford it, you should buy it. i've never owned a foreign car, but the line between domestic and import gets blurrier all the time.

Ford owns a good portion of Mazda and also Volvo....

dwasson
09-28-2004, 08:39 PM
it even comes with a dead pedal.

bigslim
09-28-2004, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't buy it but it makes the new cars from Ford a hard sell to others.

hdwrench
09-28-2004, 08:47 PM
even my jetta diesel has a dead pedal... i would think car makers would know by now they should be standard equipment like a cup holder! :twocents:

Joe Walsh
09-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Yeah, But you know how the 'Bean Counters' & Corporate Lawyers think....."If we put in a Dead Pedal it would encourage owners to drive around corners FASTER!!! OH GOSH we can't have any of that!" :shake:
(and it would add $3.59 to the cost of a $33,000 car!) :nono:

MENINBLK
09-28-2004, 08:53 PM

In the EXACT words of the service manager at my dealership...

"MAZDA makes a really good looking car. That's all I'm going to say, and don't ask me anything else..."

Why aren't they doing something with the Duratec V6 ?
There is supposed to be a 3.6L version out very soon.

The Five Hundred is based on the Volvo S80 (?) platform.
It carries the Volvo AWD system as an option.
I haven't heard of an AWD option on the Mazda 6 yet...

But an AWD MazdaSpeed 6 would be the BOMB !!!

teamrope
09-28-2004, 08:58 PM
The last time I had to leave my MM in the shop they gave me a Sable loaner that had a dead pedal. Why not put one in the MM? :shake:

TripleTransAm
09-29-2004, 06:38 AM
The Five Hundred is based on the Volvo S80 (?) platform.

I read that in a magazine, with great disappointment.

I drove a few S80s for a couple of weeks in 2002 in Florida... I got fed up of the harsh 'european' ride rather quickly. Lots of road noise telegraphed into the cabin... you'd think the tires were at 55 psi or something. Expansion strips were very noticeable.

I was much happier when I managed to swing a Lincoln LS V8 for the remainder of my time in Florida that year.

ADE 1000
09-29-2004, 06:50 AM
I read that in a magazine, with great disappointment.

I drove a few S80s for a couple of weeks in 2002 in Florida... I got fed up of the harsh 'european' ride rather quickly. Lots of road noise telegraphed into the cabin... you'd think the tires were at 55 psi or something. Expansion strips were very noticeable.

I was much happier when I managed to swing a Lincoln LS V8 for the remainder of my time in Florida that year.

You seem to rent from the Hertz "Prestige" collection, just as I do. I completely agree about the S80, I have rented those on several occasions and I have been very dissapointed. The loaded LS V-8s they have are much nicer vehicles, although the back seat is tight if you have to carry more than 2 passengers. I have a Jaguar XJ8 reserved on my next trip to Florida, I am really looking forward to driving it.

As for the Mazda, calling it the best Ford made is a stretch. However, I will agree that it is going to be a very nice car with AWD and that much power. The 500 is packaged nicely, but its styling and wimpy engine will likely be its downfall.

Joe Walsh
09-29-2004, 07:57 AM
The 500 is packaged nicely, but its styling and wimpy engine will likely be its downfall.

Absolutely....I'm so tired of the Duratec!!! The only thing I liked it in was the Contour SVT. I know its a good design and all... BUT it needs more than 3.0 liters when you start stuffing it in heavier sedans and SUVs.

TripleTransAm
09-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Interesting point you bring up, Joe.

Looks like Ford is getting into the habit of resorting to undersized engines for a given category of vehicle. First the Marauder (smallish high-RPM V8 stuffed into a very heavy sedan with heavy duty hardware added and large diameter tires, and then requiring aggressive diff gearing and torque converter stall speeds to overcome this) and now the 500?

Wouldn't a small V8 such as the one from the LS / T-bird work great in such a platform? Or make the car a little bigger, and let the 4.6 DOHC strut it's stuff in a lightweight sedan package that would give it Mach 1 - style performance?

All I can hope is that the restyle of the Panther for 2006 (?) will include hood clearance tall enough to allow for a 5.4 . Make it as sexy-looking as the 2003-2004 Marauder package and I'm sure it will be a winner with a torquier motor like what folks are saying about the 5.4 (haven't driven one yet).

merc406
09-29-2004, 08:23 AM
I'd rather have the 05 Mustang, in yellow :rasta:

Haggis
09-29-2004, 08:38 AM
They (Mazda) wouldn't be considering a wagon version????
I like what Volvo is doing with their T5 wagons..but I don't like Volvo interiors.

Are you looking for a replacement for your "Tool truck"?

Joe Walsh
09-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Are you looking for a replacement for your "Tool truck"?

Yeah, the ole' beast has 212,000 miles and is due for a major $$$ dump....when it does break I'm going to trade it in....I'm tired of the SUV thing anyway and would like to buy something with more HP, better handling, better braking and better gas mileage. That's why I'm thinking along the lines of a AWD Wagon like a Mazda, Volvo, or EEEK! Subaru Wagon...I need something to haul my canoe and kayaks on top.

BALKISSOON
09-30-2004, 05:41 AM
I heard Ford was working on a 3.5 DOHC V6 to to used in many applications.
It will be rated at 245 HP.
I'm sure the Five Hundred would be the first to benefit from this upgrade.
Volvo is working with Yamaha (remember the SHO) to produce a small V8 to be used in the XC90, so maybe Ford might drop that motor in a limited edition all wheel drive Five Hundred, with a six speed.
If this happens this would surely be considered one of the best Ford made.
We can only hope.

Richard Balkissoon
1998 Grand Marquis LS