PDA

View Full Version : Ten numbers that give some insight into the Chase For The Nextel Cup

Long Live #3
09-30-2004, 08:54 AM
This is just like the "at random" section.

1: Number of drivers who will celebrate a birthday during the Chase for The Nextel Cup. Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 30 on Oct 10th.

2: Drivers who did not make the Chase who have won a race in 2004. Rusty Wallace and Greg Biffle.

3: Drivers in the Chase who have already won a Cup Series Championship: Jeff Gordon (1995, '97, '98, 2001), Tony Stewert (2002), and Matt Kenseth (2003).

4: Top-fives this year by Kurt Busch and Jeremy Mayfield, fewest of any of the Chase contenders. Jimmie Johnson has 15 top-fives, followedby Dale Earnhardt Jr. (12) and Jeff Gordon (11).

5: Separation in points between each driver to start the Chase. The second-place driver begins the Chase 5 points behind the leader, the third-place driver is 10 points back, and so forth.

6: Poles won by Jeff Gordon, the most by any Chase driver. Ryan Newman has 5 poles, Jimmie Johnson and Jeremy Mayfield each have one, but six drivers have yet to win a pole this year.

7: Different teams that have at least one driver in the Chase: Roush Racing has 3 drivers, Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch and Mark Martin, and the other teams are Hendrick Motorsports (Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon); Dale Earnhardt Inc. (Dale Earnhardt Jr.); Joe Gibbs Racing (Tony Stewert); Robert Yates Racing (Elliott Sadler); Evernham Motorsports (Jeremy Mayfield); and Penske Racing South (Ryan Newman).

8: Chase for The Nextel Cup races that will be broadcast on NBC. TNT will broadcast the races at New Hampshire and Dover.

9: Drivers in the Chase who were in the top 10 after the fifth race of the season, March 21st at Darlington. Although several drivers have moved in and out of the top 10 in the past six months, since that time, only Mark Martin, who was ranked 12th, moved into the top 10, replacing Kasey Kahne.

10: Points, the closest mergin in the history of a championship race in the Cup Series. Alan Kulwicki defeated Bill Elliott by 10 points to win the 1992 Winston Cup Championship.

MAD-3R
09-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Sence I don't follow Nascar much (at all) I am curious as how this "Chase for the Cup" is working out.
This was set up to prevent someone from taking the championship, but never having won a race, correct?
Is anyone excudded from the "Chase" who has a honest chance of winning?

Long Live #3
09-30-2004, 12:20 PM
last year, Matt Kenseth won the championship by winning one race and finishing in the top 5 or 10 for the rest of the year. other drivers thought they were getting cheated out of the Championship. so they came up with this new system. go to www.nascar.com to find out more.

jakdad
09-30-2004, 02:28 PM
last year, Matt Kenseth won the championship by winning one race and finishing in the top 5 or 10 for the rest of the year. other drivers thought they were getting cheated out of the Championship. so they came up with this new system. go to www.nascar.com (http://www.nascar.com/) to find out more. And the previous year, Matt won 4 or 5 races but not the championship, but then the old system was OK.

:coolman: :coolman: :coolman:

Mike Poore
09-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Please don't be offended, but is this like one of those Louis Farrakhan adding up the numbers to mean something things? Sorry, guys, but I just don't get it. I mean, how can they say those are Fords, Chevys or Dodges? They're race cars built on tube frames and held together with a bunch of stickers. I love the racing, but get lost in the hype.:hide:

jakdad
09-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Please don't be offended, but is this like one of those Louis Farrakhan adding up the numbers to mean something things? Sorry, guys, but I just don't get it. I mean, how can they say those are Fords, Chevys or Dodges? They're race cars built on tube frames and held together with a bunch of stickers. I love the racing, but get lost in the hype.:hide:
Yep Mike, "stock car" racing has always been that way. At least back when I raced the body parts could be purchased at the dealer or a salvage yard. Beyond that, nothing was stock. Certainly not the suspension, engine, trans, rear end etc. But we put on a good show in cars that looked like the cars the fans drove to the races. Maybe some day they'll get back to that.

Paul T. Casey
09-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Something else for Joe to remember, I predicted Kurt Busch prior to Daytona, and Kenseth second. Rousch knows racin'!

Bluerauder
09-30-2004, 04:40 PM

Yep Mike, "stock car" racing has always been that way. At least back when I raced the body parts could be purchased at the dealer or a salvage yard. Beyond that, nothing was stock. Certainly not the suspension, engine, trans, rear end etc. But we put on a good show in cars that looked like the cars the fans drove to the races. Maybe some day they'll get back to that.
Awwwwww, you guys are just miffed that your driver didn't make the top 10. Heck, neither did the #88. Maybe next year. :whistle: :run:

Still, there is something to be said about 43 drivers running 6 inches off the guy in front, 3-wide at 195 mph heading into Turn 4. Tune in on Sunday for Talledega. :2thumbs:

Joe Walsh
09-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Something else for Joe to remember, I predicted Kurt Busch prior to Daytona, and Kenseth second. Rousch knows racin'!

Don't forget Mr. Martin.....he's been slowly sneaking up on everybody!!!!
I predicted that under the 'New Cup Rules' Mark Martin would win his LONNNNG overdue Championship only to have his accomplishment belittled as follows; "He only won because he barely made it into the top ten and then they Reset the points to help him."

jakdad
09-30-2004, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=Bluerauder]Awwwwww, you guys are just miffed that your driver didn't make the top 10. Heck, neither did the #88. Maybe next year.

Nonsense, Four of my guys did make it! And yes, I also regret that DJ didn't make it.

:cool4: :cool4:

Mike Poore
10-01-2004, 07:14 AM
I predicted that under the 'New Cup Rules' Mark Martin would win his LONNNNG overdue Championship only to have his accomplishment belittled as follows; "He only won because he barely made it into the top ten and then they Reset the points to help him." :soap: Here's the bottom line, as I see it. It's all about the drivers, not the cars. These guys are sports stars, just like any top athletes, involved in an incredibly difficult and dangerous sport. All the hype and crap about Ford or Chevy rules is just that, ...crap. Give me a break! I bet you can't find a single part on one of those cars with a Ford, GM, or Chrysler part number on it. Us older guys who saw Fireball Roberts and others, race basically stock cars, are stuck with that mind set, and we're still thinking "stock car racing". It's not, it's NASCAR, and those race cars have nothing in common whatsoever with the name plates they stick on 'em. Let's enjoy it for what it is.

Long Live #3
10-01-2004, 07:34 AM
Drivers to watch:

1. Michael Waltrip: Waltrip once said that a monkey could drive a car at a restrictor-plate track. Well, it would be tough to find a primate who could put together a better record than Waltrip has in recent years at plate tracks. He won this race last fall.

2. Kevin Harvick: Seeing the black-and-white GM Goodwrench car make a ninth visit to Talladega's victory lane would definately bring back some memories. It seems just a matter of time before Harvick wins one at the big track. He's got and average finish of fourth in his last three Talladega races.

3. Casey Mears: He was unimpressive in his first two races at Talladega, finishing 40th and 37th, but he was 8th this spring.

4. Robby Gordon He's got 4 sraight finishes of 12th or better at Talladega, including a 5th this spring. But he's also ticked off many drivers the past couple of years. So when it gets down to crunch time, will he be left without a drafting partner?

5. Sterling Marlin: He's had some good runs at this superspeedway.

(Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. are obviously the two drivers to watch in the EA Sports 500. Junior won 4 straight races at the Alabama track between 2001 and 2003, and Gordon captured the spring event and is a three-time winner. Most of the rest of the drivers in the Chase for The Nextel Cup have shown the ability to be competitive there, although Jeremy Mayfield has only one top-20 finish in his last seven starts.)

Long Live #3
10-01-2004, 07:38 AM
:soap: Here's the bottom line, as I see it. It's all about the drivers, not the cars. These guys are sports stars, just like any top athletes, involved in an incredibly difficult and dangerous sport. All the hype and crap about Ford or Chevy rules is just that, ...crap. Give me a break! I bet you can't find a single part on one of those cars with a Ford, GM, or Chrysler part number on it. Us older guys who saw Fireball Roberts and others, race basically stock cars, are stuck with that mind set, and we're still thinking "stock car racing". It's not, it's NASCAR, and those race cars have nothing in common whatsoever with the name plates they stick on 'em. Let's enjoy it for what it is.

I couldn't have put it better. Well done my friend!

MAD-3R
10-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Talladega use to be know as the most dangerous track of the tour. She is fast and wide, but is you didn't respect her, she would throw you into a wall. Now with the "advances" in aero dynamics, and the use of restictor plates, I would rather watch grass grow. I respect the drivers and the skill it takes to drive, but I miss watching the "good ol' Boys" go at it. Where drafting ment something, and watching the slingshot. "Rubben's Racen " and "Swappen Paint" oh well. maybe some day we will see something like it again. And I still have no clue why the manufacturs are still involved in the racing. The old adige of win on Sunday, sell on monday went out the window in the early 90's.

jakdad
10-01-2004, 08:07 AM
:soap: Here's the bottom line, as I see it. It's all about the drivers, not the cars. These guys are sports stars, just like any top athletes, involved in an incredibly difficult and dangerous sport. All the hype and crap about Ford or Chevy rules is just that, ...crap. Give me a break! I bet you can't find a single part on one of those cars with a Ford, GM, or Chrysler part number on it. Us older guys who saw Fireball Roberts and others, race basically stock cars, are stuck with that mind set, and we're still thinking "stock car racing". It's not, it's NASCAR, and those race cars have nothing in common whatsoever with the name plates they stick on 'em. Let's enjoy it for what it is. You must understand that aside from body panels etc., Fireball never raced a "stock car" anymore than we did.
Current day engines carry Ford, GM part numbers and can be purchased by the public. Ford is still basically a Cleveland engine and GM is SBC with Cleveland style heads. They still have the other heads that they use at some tracks. I think eventually the Cleveland heads will be all there is just like the Ford 9" rear end under all the cars.

Bluerauder
10-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Talladega use to be know as the most dangerous track of the tour. She is fast and wide, but is you didn't respect her, she would throw you into a wall.
Phil,
Are you sure you aren't thinking about Darlington ... also known as the Lady in Black?? Darlington stripes, etc. Your description seems to fit the SC track better than Talledega.

MAD-3R
10-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Phil,
Are you sure you aren't thinking about Darlington ... also known as the Lady in Black?? Darlington stripes, etc. Your description seems to fit the SC track better than Talledega.

I may be. It's been YEARS sence I watched with any regularity. I thought Talladega had the nastyest reputation.

BCKNBLK
10-01-2004, 12:29 PM
I predicted that under the 'New Cup Rules' Mark Martin would win his LONNNNG overdue Championship only to have his accomplishment belittled as follows; "He only won because he barely made it into the top ten and then they Reset the points to help him."

Everyone forgets that Richard Petty won his 7 championships under 7 different points sytems.

Bluerauder
10-01-2004, 03:57 PM
I may be. It's been YEARS sence I watched with any regularity. I thought Talladega had the nastyest reputation.
Talledega's reputation is for "The Big One". That is a multi-car wreck involving up to 18-20 cars. The packs are so tight at Talledega that one miscue by a single driver could end in disaster and bend sheet metal for alot of drivers. A couple years ago, Tony Stewart #20 was running in the 5th position, got spun, went airborne and came down upside down on his teammate's car (Bobby LaBonte #18) who was running in 25th at the time.

Amsoil_Dealer
10-02-2004, 07:00 AM
You must understand that aside from body panels etc., Fireball never raced a "stock car" anymore than we did.
Current day engines carry Ford, GM part numbers and can be purchased by the public. Ford is still basically a Cleveland engine and GM is SBC with Cleveland style heads. They still have the other heads that they use at some tracks. I think eventually the Cleveland heads will be all there is just like the Ford 9" rear end under all the cars.

I agree that there is almost nothing stock about today's "stock cars". But back in Fireball Roberts days (late 50',early 60's) I thought that they were very stock. Sure suspensions and engines were highly modified but the frames, bodies, even window glass were right from the factory. Am I wrong here?

I don't agree that today's sport is "all about the drivers". Sure we could argue that the guys up front are the best drivers but I think the equipment, the quality, conditioning, and chemistry of the crew AND the strategy of the owners and crew cheifs are just as important as the driver. For example, I don't think Jeff Gordon could win in say, the 22 car. BDR just does not have the same "stuff" or personnel that Hendrick racing has, period. On the other hand, I do believe the driver of the 22 car, Scott Wimmer has the talent (maybe not the experience yet, but the talent) to run at the front if he were in a Roush or a Hendrick car. It is no coincidence that Roush has three cars and Hendrick has two in the top ten.

I agree 100% with Paul Casey that "Roush knows racin" and I would love to see Mark Martin win the championship that he truly deserves. I am not a huge Martin fan but he really deserves a championship. Busch, Stewart, Johnson will be around a while and will have many more opportunities. This is likely Martins last real shot and if "The race for the chase" is the formula that allows him to win one, I am all for it.

Don

jakdad
10-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Yes Don, Even the frames, and body were modified. We wern't allowed to alter outward appearance of the body. All glass was removed and later windshields and back glasses were put back in but not factory glass. Your point is exactly my point in that the fans came to the track and could see cars just like the ones they drove to the track. You could tell at a distance whether the car was a '66 Ford, Chevy or Plymouth. This was the whole concept that NASCAR was born from. You could see cars race that looked just like your daily driver, if you looked past the decals and paint. When the fans were permited in the pits, they were really surprised when they got a close up look at the cars. You could hear them talking among each other about "Man, my shocks don't mount like that" or " This thing has 6 shocks on it" or " Look at those hubs, they're different". It was really a great time for us and we never forgot that the only reason we were there is because of the fans.

:cool4: :cool4: :cool4:

Bluerauder
10-02-2004, 08:05 AM
For example, I don't think Jeff Gordon could win in say, the 22 car. BDR just does not have the same "stuff" or personnel that Hendrick racing has, period. On the other hand, I do believe the driver of the 22 car, Scott Wimmer has the talent (maybe not the experience yet, but the talent) to run at the front if he were in a Roush or a Hendrick car.
Eliott Sadler's move to the #38 M&Ms car supports your theory. Until he got the RYR Yates powerplant, he was running near the back. That said, there are some driver's that are "born" to run at the head of the pack. I am not a big #24 fan; but Jeff Gordon is a race car driver and is a threat as long as his engine is running and the car has the dirty side down.

Earnhardt, Jr.; Michael Waltrip, Jimmy Johnson, Ryan Newman, Kurt Busch, and Kasey Kahne are the current crop of major contenders IMHO. Not my personal favorites. However, you have to recognize their talent and team effort. :cheer:

Other the other hand, Robbie Gordon is a menace on the track. :banghead:

Where did Jeff Burton go??? Since he lost the #99 Rousch ride, his name is rarely mentioned any more. So yes, it is a "total package" team effort.

Mike Poore
10-02-2004, 08:17 AM
I agree that there is almost nothing stock about today's "stock cars". But back in Fireball Roberts days (late 50',early 60's) I thought that they were very stock. Sure suspensions and engines were highly modified but the frames, bodies, even window glass were right from the factory. Am I wrong here? Don
Don, I always thought I could go down to Brake Pontiac in Waynesboro, PA and order me up one of them cars just like 'ol Fireball put through the fence. Darn that JAKDAD anyway, there goes another myth from my youth getting blown all to hell.:tantrum:

Haggis
10-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Where did Jeff Burton go??? Since he lost the #99 Rousch ride, his name is rarely mentioned any more. So yes, it is a "total package" team effort.

He is in the #30 car.

Long Live #3
10-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Yes, and Carl Edwards, who drives the #99 Superchips F-150 in the Craftsman Truck Series, drives the #99 car in the Nextel Cup Series

Bluerauder
10-02-2004, 01:04 PM
He is in the #30 car.
Yeah, I know he's in the #30 car .... :duel: he just ain't a leader anymore like in years past when the #99 Exide Batteries car was always in the top 10.

jakdad
10-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I know he's in the #30 car .... :duel: he just ain't a leader anymore like in years past when the #99 Exide Batteries car was always in the top 10. Just remember, this is a new team for Jeff. He has had moments of brilliance like when he drove right past his team mate harvick. I was really pulling for him. The ride will get better as time goes on. We might see a vast improvement before this season is over.

Amsoil_Dealer
10-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Other the other hand, Robbie Gordon is a menace on the track. :banghead:

He certainly did make a bone head move at Loudon. The big dummy. I like the guy and admire his talent in off road and road racing but unfortunately he makes some poor decisions on the ovals. Sadly, he is an example of a good talent who can't take a first class ride to the front with any consistency.

Don

Long Live #3
10-03-2004, 06:34 PM
He did a good job today. He led for a while, before Jr. retook the lead, again.

merc406
10-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Great race today, but would like to see more of "stock" cars back on the track, so since we'll never see that here's some wishful thinking from the old days...http://www.mercurymarauder.org/history/63_mt_test_1.jpg---
http://www.mercurymarauder.org/history/63_mt_test_3.jpg and--
http://www.mercurymarauder.org/history/63_mt_test_4.jpg

jakdad
10-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Great race today, but would like to see more of "stock" cars back on the track, so since we'll never see that here's some wishful thinking from the old days...http://www.mercurymarauder.org/history/63_mt_test_1.jpg---
http://www.mercurymarauder.org/history/63_mt_test_3.jpg and--
http://www.mercurymarauder.org/history/63_mt_test_4.jpg
Great Stuff!!!

Long Live #3
10-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks for posting that! I never knew that Mercury had the Marauder in NASCAR.

merc406
10-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks for posting that! I never knew that Mercury had the Marayder in NASCAR.

It's how the Marauder's got their checkered flags on their fenders, they won a few in 63 and the very earliest Marauders won't have a flag. :flag: