PDA

View Full Version : Ladder 49 Release

Bluerauder
10-01-2004, 04:16 PM
I have been waiting nearly 2 years for the release of the new "Ladder 49" movie. It is a firefighter's story filmed on location in Baltimore. Will probably see it tomorrow. :woohoo:

The film has special significance for me since I grew up in Baltimore as the son of a fireman. In fact, between my grandfather and his brother and my father and his brother, they contributed 160 years to the B.C.F.D. That's right, an average of 40 years between them (50, 48, 34, 28 to be specific). :2thumbs:

Hope the movie lives up to my expectations ... I have been waiting for a good movie. Too bad that my personal heroes didn't live to see this one. :nworthy:

Patrick
10-01-2004, 04:40 PM
I am going to see tomorrow as well. Looks like a great film.

MARAUDER S/C #5
10-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Will be taking my father tomorrow to see this movie. He was a firefighter for 40 years.

:popcorn:

SergntMac
10-01-2004, 05:46 PM
"Ladder 49."

Looks like a great movie, can't wait. It's inspiring too, forgive me for digressing.

For me, Ladder 49 trailers make it look like a remake of "Backdraft." Maybe the backstory will be different, but the firefighting story I expect to be better...Awesome?

Backdraft is a film made prior to 9-11-01, Ladder 49 is post, and I'm wondering about the technical firefighting differences, and what's new with tyhat besides how we feel about firemen today. Yes, they are our heroes since 9-11-01, but what about before then?

Personally, I've gone through a deep and unsettling rethink, heartfelt change.

Firemen were not all that special to me prior to 9-11-01, because I got caught in Chicago's union squabbles back in 1980. Back then, our CFD fire-union went on strike and refused to provide service, and us CPD cops got their jobs. I was a Chicago fireman for thirty (30) 12 hour days, a fireman with a gun strapped to his (much thinner) hip. For a while, I thought it real funny that a firetruck could show up on a robbery-in-progress call, and I got the jump on many a street criminal from my cab over those 30 days. But, a cop showing up to a fire call, well this was not funny, period.

I never thought I would see a fireman walk away from a burning building, let alone an occupied building. Alas, I have lived through that now, but it was really disrturbing to me back then, and not pretty since.

I earned one of my PD's highest awards just for taking up the fireman's slack. I drove a firetruck, a "truck." I lived in a firehouse, and played fireman for a month. I pulled hose, thawed hydrants, and snuck up decrepid backstair cases to pull 6 fire victims from an occupied structure. When I got back to my truck, my truck's tires were flat, and a line of "firemen" watched in awe as I drove my truck out of that ice, and back to my house, which had been vandalized in my absence, the power plant and furnace destroyed. Why...

Firemen...Indeed. The only thing that makes firemen and policemen different, is that policemen cannot shoot a fire, and firemen cannot throw water on a fleeing suspect. But, that day, I wanted to shoot a fireman very bad...And I am very sorry I felt that way back then.

This is not how I feel today and I'm sorry I brought this to the surface. But, firemen cannot walk away, and when they do, they are criminals too. I hope Ladder 49 peeks at that, we'll see?

I have not held much respect for firemen since then. However, Backdraft pushed me to rethink all that history, but I'm still reserved on some of it too.

No real fireman can just walk away from a fire like no real cop can walk away from crime.

It just doesn't fit, in my heart. I hope Ladder 49 pushes me to rethink more, I feel I should love firemen like I love cops. We'll see...

MARAUDER S/C #5
10-01-2004, 06:40 PM
:seesaw: ..............

Bluerauder
10-01-2004, 11:54 PM
"Ladder 49."

No real fireman can just walk away from a fire like no real cop can walk away from crime.
Wow, that sure seems an embarrassing period in C.F.D. history. In my family, firefighting seemed to be in the blood. I grew up listening to the fire radio in the dining room and got accustomed to the various calls and box alarms. Can't count the number of times that my father left the house to help out on a multiple alarm or a particularly nasty fire ... just in case. Many of these times were after just returning from a full shift of his own. He knew which alarms were bad and would need back-up or relief.

You are right on the above ^^^^. I never saw him walk away or back away from a fire. In fact, I saw him walk into a burning building and bring out an unconscious woman before the local engine arrived on site.

During the city riots of 1968, he had a reverse experience to yours when he came under fire from rooftops while trying to put out fires all over the city. He never thought that people would shoot at firemen trying to put out a fire.

Bluerauder
10-02-2004, 07:08 PM
I have been waiting nearly 2 years for the release of the new "Ladder 49" movie. It is a firefighter's story filmed on location in Baltimore. Will probably see it tomorrow. :woohoo:
Sorry gang. I just came back from seeing "Ladder 49". Though not a critic, I know what I like. This movie is just OK; but will not make classic status. I'll give it a 2 star rating out of 4. In one word ... "depressing" comes to mind. Some technical glitches too -- like a shortage of water in many of the firefighting scenes. Some great shots in and around Baltimore and of the B.C.F.D. apparatus. I think my Dad would have been very critical of this one.

Patrick
10-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Sorry gang. I just came back from seeing "Ladder 49". Though not a critic, I know what I like. This movie is just OK; but will not make classic status. I'll give it a 2 star rating out of 4. In one word ... "depressing" comes to mind. Some technical glitches too -- like a shortage of water in many of the firefighting scenes. Some great shots in and around Baltimore and of the B.C.F.D. apparatus. I think my Dad would have been very critical of this one.

Could not make the movie tonight. Thanks for your review. But I will go see.

FiveO
10-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Saw this tonight.

I'll give it 3 of 4. I enjoyed it.

Bit overly sentimental but after 9-11 our firefighters deserved a movie like this.

I think it was supposed to be depressing....it lets people know that some people give the ultimate sacrifice to keep us safe.

I've lost a friend and co-worker in the line of duty. Even told his 3 kids he was dead.

Bravo to Hollywood for making a movie like this and keeping the ending realistic.

engine23ccvfd
10-04-2004, 06:13 AM
Having been a cop and FF I can attest to the differences with the job. You either have what it takes or you dont. I do take some offense from drudging up a strike from the 80's. Its not like fire service was the only public safety segment to go on strike or have the blue flu.

As for the movie I have not scene it but plan on going soon. We spent Saturday at our local theator with 6 fire trucks and our PR dept meeting our neighbors letting the kids play on the apparatus.

SergntMac
10-04-2004, 07:24 AM
I do take some offense from drudging up a strike from the 80's. Its not like fire service was the only public safety segment to go on strike or have the blue flu.
My apolog is due, it was not my intent to paint all fire fighters with a broad brush. However, this event happened to me, it's my personal history and it taints my perspective today. How can I offer my perspective, without admitting that it's tainted by my experience?

That '80s event ripped apart a professional fire department, and the evidence of that remains today. When something is at your fingertips, "dredging" isn't a chore. I am sure it was painful for all involved, and I don't expect any of it to die away, until those involved move along.

I have been fortunate to escape any "blu flu" events here, I never had to decide if I should "cross the line" against brother cops, but local labor disputes have grown that close. I am sure that would be as painful for me too. Yes, sadly, "blu flu" happens too.

I also said in my post that watching these two remarkable films, "Backdraft" and "Ladder 49" help me get past some of my history. This is good, and this was my point. One who cannot change their mind, doesn't have one.

Again, my apology for any offense taken.

tomd
10-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Don't Cry, I hear it is a sad movie. :cry: