PDA

View Full Version : Alaska

chrish
10-03-2004, 08:18 PM
anyone from Alaska? How dose the traction control work up there? :beatnik:

Dr Caleb
10-04-2004, 07:36 AM
We've one member from Alaska, but I haven't seen him lately.

If you drive in snow, you need winter rims, winter tires, and traction control. It's the only way to go!

screamdennis
10-05-2004, 02:11 AM
hi: i dont have traction control on my MM , in fact i have never even put snow tires on . the MM handles very well in the snow as long as you know your limits .
my wifes contour has traction control and it works great , i also put michlin artic alpines , they are the siped tires and they work great for ice and snow .they are really great all season tire ,i used to buy studded snows and every spring and fall have change them what a pain . thanks to ever made all season tires for regular cars.
some tire shops will sipe your tires for you , i know les schab does here for 12 bucks a piece , since this will be the last season for my stock tires i was thinking about having them siped and just buy new tires next spring .

Dr Caleb
10-05-2004, 12:16 PM
screamdennis. Yep. That's the guy ;)

chrish
10-05-2004, 03:18 PM
The famously asked question:

ju -know the capital of Alaska?

screamdennis
10-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Alaska is the 49 th state and still the tourist ask ( do you take american money ) duhhhhhhhhhh or they get off the ship and ask ( how far above sea level are we ?) as where standing next to some of the largest cruise ships in the world ( oh about 17 or 18 feet )
but its fun dealing with the tourist

Dr Caleb
10-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Yup. All the Alaskans I've know seem to have more in common with Canuckleheads than the lower 49.

I worked in Jasper National Park for a while, and poeple would get upset if we didn't take US money. And they got more upset when we gave change back in Canadian $$.

And you get the really good questions like, "Why do you have electric plugs on the front of your cars? Are they electric?" or "Where is the park? (as in rides)" or "Where do you put the animals at night?" or my favorite - (guy/girl standing, fully dressed in ski outfits, skis) "Which way to the ski hill?" . . .Ummm, sir, it's July . . . :lol:

BillyGman
10-06-2004, 11:21 PM
I don't have traction control on my Marauder, and I wouldn't even want it. the Michelin Arctic Alpine snow tires (NOT to be confused with the "Pilot" Alpines) worked great in the four major snow storms that I drove through last year, while the first storm caught me off-guard w/the factory tires, and I couldn't make it up any hills w/them. but w/the Arctic Alpine tires, I actually went looking for hills, and they performed spectacularly!! yes, I know that I cannot compare Connecticut snowstorms w/Alaskan ones, but but I did drive in nearly a foot of unplowed snow up many hills w/those tires w/out a problem. Michelin is phasing them out now to be replaced by their "X-Ice" tire, but if you can find the correct size in the Arctic Alpines, then you can get a super deal on them. otherwise, I've heard that the Bridgestone Blizzak W-50 tires are also supurb in the snow.

CrazyCor15
10-10-2004, 10:56 AM
I'll be moving to Fairbanks area in May 05. Should I buy wheels and tires before I get there? I been told to buy everything down here in the lower 48 before i get there.

BillyGman
10-10-2004, 11:04 AM
I guess that depends on the shipping policies and charges of the online tire places. I've been a customer of www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) and I suggest you contact them about shipping charges to Alaska to determine the best answer to your question.

screamdennis
10-10-2004, 08:46 PM
it would be a good idea to purchase your tire and rims , while in the lower 48 ,the choices are much better and pricing has got to better. fairbanks is the second largest city in alaska , i dont remeber the population i am sure its over 50,000 or more. costco can also get tires for are MM . good lck in your move.

CrazyCor15
10-10-2004, 11:28 PM
it would be a good idea to purchase your tire and rims , while in the lower 48 ,the choices are much better and pricing has got to better. fairbanks is the second largest city in alaska , i dont remeber the population i am sure its over 50,000 or more. costco can also get tires for are MM . good lck in your move.
Does that include fishing gear, winter clothes, and maybe some other misc. things?

screamdennis
10-14-2004, 11:52 PM
it just depends on where you live , if there are alot of outlet stores in your area i would buy there , but they do have sales in alaska also and also the internet works for you too. alot of vendors wont ship to alaska ,but it just depends on who it is , where i live i cant get ups ground so all the vendors want to 1 day air and that cost $$$$$$$ i usally ask to ship via the post office , i am not sure about fairbanks but its somethjng you can check when you get there

CrazyCor15
10-16-2004, 02:58 AM
it just depends on where you live , if there are alot of outlet stores in your area i would buy there , but they do have sales in alaska also and also the internet works for you too. alot of vendors wont ship to alaska ,but it just depends on who it is , where i live i cant get ups ground so all the vendors want to 1 day air and that cost $$$$$$$ i usally ask to ship via the post office , i am not sure about fairbanks but its somethjng you can check when you get there
How are the highways? Travel at fast speeds? hehe