PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on the Lincoln LS?

Redster
10-06-2004, 06:28 PM
I have been thinking about a replacement for my wife's Mystique. It is getting close to 100,000 miles. Plus since I got the MM she figures it's her turn. She is probably right. I had been anticipating the possibility of replacing it with a Montego but frankly the two I have seen have not impressed me. I may change my mind after I test-drive one.
Anyway, I was wandering around the lot at the dealer while I was getting the oil changed in the MM and they had 3 used LS in the lot for under 25K. They looked like pretty nice cars and I'll think I'll start doing some research. Anyone have any thoughts on the LS?

buckyboy
10-06-2004, 06:57 PM
It depends what year LS, they bumped the horse power from 250 to 280 in 2003, ive driven both, you can tell a difference, the car handles well too...nice car...
I have been thinking about a replacement for my wife's Mystique. It is getting close to 100,000 miles. Plus since I got the MM she figures it's her turn. She is probably right. I had been anticipating the possibility of replacing it with a Montego but frankly the two I have seen have not impressed me. I may change my mind after I test-drive one.
Anyway, I was wandering around the lot at the dealer while I was getting the oil changed in the MM and they had 3 used LS in the lot for under 25K. They looked like pretty nice cars and I'll think I'll start doing some research. Anyone have any thoughts on the LS?

TripleTransAm
10-06-2004, 07:00 PM
I rented a couple of V8s in the late spring of 2002 in the Tampa region. Boy did I have a lot of fun, and I blame that car for getting me started down the path to replacing my Honda Civic with a more fun car (hence, the Marauder).

The stereo thumped (put it through it's paces with a distortion-free to-the-max listen to Enter Sandman played from one of the local stations). The seats were comfortable. And the thing got scratch on the manual 1-2 upshift somewhere near redline (which I recall being fairly high... 6500?).

blown & bad
10-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Hello Rodster,
In response to your inquiry about the Linc.LS. I have woked for FORD since 1969,and have seen them come & go. The LS is OK for those who have not experienced a real Lincoln,but falls short in areas such as performance,comfort,and reliability. In my opinion as a long time Blue Oval Guy, the only thing better than a Marauder in the garage is two Marauders in the garage. Dollar for dollar it's far more car. If she doesn't like the MM maybe a nice Crown Vic. or Grand Marquis.
Just my opinion,
Blown & Bad

P.S.
Go to your local dealer's shop, and see how many LS cars are broken compared to the Crown Vics.,Town Cars,or Grand Marquis & Marauders.

Patrick
10-06-2004, 07:11 PM
I was close to buying an LS but the MM came around. But the LS (V-8) is a good car. Exterior styling was great but I just didnt like the layout of the inside. And then it was priced at almost $40,000. Still a good ride!!

Marauderman
10-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Hello Rodster,
In response to your inquiry about the Linc.LS. I have woked for FORD since 1969,and have seen them come & go. The LS is OK for those who have not experienced a real Lincoln,but falls short in areas such as performance,comfort,and reliability. In my opinion as a long time Blue Oval Guy, the only thing better than a Marauder in the garage is two Marauders in the garage. Dollar for dollar it's far more car. If she doesn't like the MM maybe a nice Crown Vic. or Grand Marquis.
Just my opinion,
Blown & Bad

P.S.
Go to your local dealer's shop, and see how many LS cars are broken compared to the Crown Vics.,Town Cars,or Grand Marquis & Marauders.
..yes-what he^^^^^^^^^^^says--right out of my mouth!!!! put 2 under the covers--some on this board have been fortuniate to do so..... :bows:

bigslim
10-06-2004, 10:27 PM
I had a 2002 LS with a V8 and thought it was a really nice car. It handled great and had good power. It had a lot of goodies including rain sensing wipers, Alpine radio system, power tilt-telescopic wheel and a bunch of other goodies. Would I buy another. Yes if it wasn't priced so upmarket now. I had not one bit of trouble out of mine. Motor Trend just did a review on used LS's and thought it was a good buy. Good luck on your choice.

BillyGman
10-06-2004, 11:12 PM
I don't know what the latest one looks like, but the one in the pic that Slim posted has tail lights that are waaaaaay too big for my taste. I just can't get passed the looks of the BIG tail light and headlight lenses on most of the new cars that are made today. I mean how big do they really need to be for people to see them????

jstevens
10-07-2004, 03:28 AM
I too looked at the LS. I rode in one and tried the A/C seats. Interesting feeling, kinda like peeing your pants sensation.
Anyway, back on topic. The LS is nice just not enough car to command that kinda money. Plus, I thought the inside was a little tight.

QWK SVT
10-07-2004, 04:56 AM
I too looked at the LS. I rode in one and tried the A/C seats. Interesting feeling, kinda like peeing your pants sensation.
Anyway, back on topic. The LS is nice just not enough car to command that kinda money. Plus, I thought the inside was a little tight.
I agree! If you've got any height, or weight to you (6'6" 275 - I have both), you'll quickly wish the interior was larger. The back seat isn't exactly inviting, either.:rolleyes:

Nice looking car, and well apointed, but the price tag puts it in with some tough competition.

jerrym3
10-07-2004, 08:42 AM
I bought a new 2004 LS Sport V8 for 30+ with a 41 MSRP. So far, very pleased.

Good points:
surprisingly quick (rated at 0-60; low/mid 6 second bracket); I believe it

feels quicker than my 2003 TBird (same motor/trans), but that might be just a seat of the pants feeling

takes turns like it's on rails

getting almost 20 mpg with very little highway, but the car only has 1,000 miles on it; computer says high 20's on the highway (I got 28.5 avg mpg on the Bird over a 700 mile trip.)

SST trans is a nice feature; allows almost full control of the five speed trans; also allows a 3rd gear start for poor weather conditions

good, solid ride (much more so than the Bird)

great deals price-wise

fold down rear seats; lot's of amenities

Bad:

not wild about the dash; should have been more upclass

little nit picks, like difficulty getting change out of the change holder while driving; more radio features (6CD in dash) in the TBird even though it's basically the same radio

vanishes in a crowd (light Tundra Metallic), but if I want to be noticed, I drive the Bird or my two old cars

Best way to sum it up when comparing it to my TBird is, you take the TBird for a RIDE, you DRIVE the Lincoln LS.

My wife (it's her car) loves it, and we moved from a TownCar to the LS.

I'm an empty nester; a little bit under 6', 207 lbs, so massive trunk space and large rear seat is not a concern

ParkRanger
10-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Had one for two years as a company car 2001-2003. The main problem for me was it just wasn't comfortable. I'm 6'2" - 225# and it was always a beeoch to get in and out. And it felt like I was always sitting far deep under the hood for some reason.

For the same money I would look at some Euro models for your wife.

PR :burnout:

bigslim
10-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Jerrym, your LS has a 3.9 liter derived form the Jaguar S series. You T-Bird had a 4.6 from many different Ford products such as the Town Car. I am a pretty big guy and I loved how the car felt. It had a good driving postion and felt Germanic in a lot of ways.

TAF
10-07-2004, 08:59 AM
I know where the World's Fastest Lincoln LS lives....you can come see it next Friday sitting next to Marty's car.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/83IMG_1521-med.JPG (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5575/size/big/password/263233a0dd0b5fe0053e90d33d4b6b a0/sort/1/cat/last1)

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/83IMG_1520-med.JPG (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5576/size/big/password/263233a0dd0b5fe0053e90d33d4b6b a0/sort/1/cat/last1)

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/83IMG_1525-med.JPG (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5577/size/big/password/263233a0dd0b5fe0053e90d33d4b6b a0/sort/1/cat/last1)

TripleTransAm
10-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Jerrym, your LS has a 3.9 liter derived form the Jaguar S series. You T-Bird had a 4.6 from many different Ford products such as the Town Car.

You sure about that?

http://www.new-cars.com/2003/2003-ford-thunderbird.html

jerrym3
10-07-2004, 09:38 AM
The 03 Bird has the 3.9 motor and five speed trans, 280 hp, 3:58 rear..

My 94 Bird has the 4.6, 205 hp, 3:27 rear.

(Just for comparison, my 58 Bird has a 352, 250 hp motor)

CRUZTAKER
10-07-2004, 03:07 PM
My wife has a 2000 sport. I have always liked the car. Oodles of standard options we lack...and need! It rides great, handles wonderfully, and has gobs of power on the freeway. The maintainence is normal in my opinion. One heated seat went out last year, two headlamps replaced, front calipers re-honed. All warranty items.

I never prefered the soft shifts, nor the shift points. We took the car to Jerry W. this year and had a perforformance tune and tweak. Although my wife was unwilling to change the firmness of shifts or t/c lockup points, she allowed the power flash.

We were pleased with the dyno results of 194.5 rwhp, what is that, about 236 at the crank?

The car feels far more powerfull than it was, and is likely better than a stock '04.

The trunk space is severely limited, but the stereo and it's components that take some of that space is OUTSTANDING.

Summary, great car for the wife, she loves it, and gets many compliments.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1423J_s_LS_side.jpg

bigslim
10-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Barry, I know I really liked mine. When the lease is up on my PT I may get a nice used LS.

Stephen Soulsby
10-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I have a 2000 LS V6 with a manual transmission and sport package. It looks identical to Cruztaker's car except my wheels are not chrome plated. While it's not a quick car below 3,000rpm (like the Marauder), above 3,000rpm it pulls nicely all the way to the rev limiter (about 6,800rpm). You gotta watch the tach because the motor doesn't fall far off the power band. This is the only car I've owned that felt like that. Smoothest shifting 5-speed I have ever driven.

The handling is really where the car shines. It is an incredibly stable car to drive. No matter how hard I've pushed it through turns (25mph exit ramp at 65-70mph), I haven't gotten the tires (BFG G-Force KDWS) to loose any grip. The alpine audio system has 9 speakers and is clear, balanced, and booming.

I test drove three of these cars before I bought this one. A V6 automatic without sport package, and a V8 (all V8 cars were automatics). They were both good solid riding cars, but the sport package made a big difference to me. And the V6 with manual trans was almost as quick as the V8.

My only real complaint is the clutch is softer than I would like. I prefer a clutch that really grabs.

Bottom line. I love the car! If anything happened to my Marauder, I'd buy another LS.

jobrien8
10-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Bigslim, your thinking about the previous generation (4-passenger) Thunderbird that had a 4.6L. :confused:

bigslim
10-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Bigslim, your thinking about the previous generation (4-passenger) Thunderbird that had a 4.6L. :confused:
True, I was. I knew that the new T-Bird had the 3.9 because it shares the chassis with the LS and S-Type. The previous generation T-Birds had the 5.0 from 89' to 93' and 4.6 liter engines in later years.

jerrym3
10-08-2004, 06:36 AM
I, too, was surprised at the features the LS8 Sport has even when compared to my 03 Bird, which is a sibling. Not the best of timing, but this car "didn't get any respect".

Every review that I read had mostly good things to say about the car especially when compared to overpriced foreign competition.

Again, my major gripe is the toned down interior on the LS (and the TBird). I think the dash in my 94 TBird is far more attractive than either car.

Pricing was a major factor, as I can take advantage of the Ford A-Z plan discount (about 4K+) and any normal manufacturer discounts (6K), but I would have bought this car even if I was only getting one or the other.

Give an LS8 Sport a shot before you decide.

Stew
10-10-2004, 01:32 PM
True, I was. I knew that the new T-Bird had the 3.9 because it shares the chassis with the LS and S-Type. The previous generation T-Birds had the 5.0 from 89' to 93' and 4.6 liter engines in later years.

Actually the 5.0 was available only in 91-93, only motors on the 89-90 were the 3.8 NA and 3.8 SC V6s. the real gems in those cars weren't the V8s at all, but the SC 3.8, ESPECIALLY the 94-95 SC. the new ones indeed have the 3.9 V8.

Brian

QWK SVT
10-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Actually the 5.0 was available only in 91-93, only motors on the 89-90 were the 3.8 NA and 3.8 SC V6s. the real gems in those cars weren't the V8s at all, but the SC 3.8, ESPECIALLY the 94-95 SC. the new ones indeed have the 3.9 V8.

Brian
Yep! I gave up a 95 Cougar with the 4.6L V8 for the MM. Even with a few mods, it was no match for the MM, in any category. Well, it might have handled, and/or braked a little better. Mods included: 4.10 rear (from 3.08), CAI (removing the huge violin case restriction), Underdrive pulleys, chip, Eibach Springs and Koni adjustable shocks, with 17" Wheels wrapped with Dunlop A2 235-55-17s.
http://www.qwksvt.com/Cougar_Files/CSusp/DoneWT2.jpg

gpfarrell
10-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Might make a great wife's car.

I had narrowed my choice down to the MM or an LS.

This website showed more owner enthusiasm, and more bolt-on/plug-in goodies than I could find for the LS... so I started leaning this way.

Also, I think the MM is more distinctive than the LS, and I like driving something different.

However, I'd rate the LS above lots of other buggies, especially if you compare the value you get for the real purchase price... new or used.

I doubt she'll miss the misstique.

Patrick
10-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Might make a great wife's car.

I had narrowed my choice down to the MM or an LS.

This website showed more owner enthusiasm, and more bolt-on/plug-in goodies than I could find for the LS... so I started leaning this way.

Also, I think the MM is more distinctive than the LS, and I like driving something different.

However, I'd rate the LS above lots of other buggies, especially if you compare the value you get for the real purchase price... new or used.

I doubt she'll miss the misstique.

I just looked at the link you posted in your sig.
:2thumbs: Great pics.

jerrym3
10-11-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm a fan of the LS style until you get to the back. The tall tail lights and the small Lincoln emblem in the plate area make the car look tall and stubby form the rear.

Eliminating that little chrome kick up for the emblem in the rear plate area and dropping the chrome in favor of the body color would have classed up the back.

At leastv with the 04, they split the tail lights (orange/red) which made the lights look a little smaller.

ADE 1000
10-11-2004, 11:23 AM
I have driven an LS on several occasions and know a few people who have them. Those that own them, seem to have pretty good luck with the car.

I agree with most others comments about the car. What it excels at is handling and the power on the '03+ V-8 models is quite strong. With the deep discounts out there I think it is one of the best luxury car values on the market. I also considered one instead of the MM, but it is really a totally different kind of car (a little too European in flavor for my tastes.) My only real complaint about the LS would be that the interior is a little tight. But if you are coming from a Mystique, that might not bother you as much.

Bradley G
10-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Hey Rodster!! I saw an L S C model in black on my way to work last week. Very nice, Show the Mrs. one and watch her face :coolman:

TripleTransAm
10-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Eliminating that little chrome kick up for the emblem in the rear plate area and dropping the chrome in favor of the body color would have classed up the back.

Interesting point. I'm not sure what model year I drove in the summer of 2002, but I quickly noticed the newer ones seemed to have more chrome on the bumpers when I started spotting them back home. I think I preferred the understated treatment.

That, and I am not a fan of the brushed aluminum detailing that many cars use in the interior.

http://www.tripletransam.com/misc-old/Dscf4570.jpg

http://www.tripletransam.com/misc-old/Dscf4574.jpg

http://www.tripletransam.com/misc-old/Dscf4575.jpg

TheDealer
10-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I've been leasing Lincolns for my wife since 1995. Had a 95 Mark, a 97 Mark, a 2000 LS, 2001 LS, and now a 2003 LS. My wife loves them. I like driving it too, when she lets me. The LS comes in different models, LSE, Premium, Touring, and others. Depending on the year there are different models. They come in a v-6 and a v-8. You can get the his and her shifter for the Auto trans. A lot of different options. My wifes is a Touring, with the no chrome in the bumpers. She has the his and her shifter. We both like the car and all three have been almost trouble free. Couple of very minor problems, but no major break downs or anything. She puts about 15k per year. RAY

mrogerc
10-11-2004, 05:24 PM
I had a 2000 LS V6 Manual I traded for my Marauder.

Compared to the Marauder, the LS had a more comfortable ride and better handling. It was also a lot quieter.

In every other respect, I prefer the Marauder. The MM is much more car and I love the interior size and seats. The trunk is awesome. And the aftermarket stuff--especially the supercharger-- is much better for the Marauder.

I also like the relative rarity of the MM, although there were far less manual LS's built than Marauders.

Now that I have a long city commute, I even like the Marauder's auto trans.

I was tempted to try a custom twin-turbo mod for my LS, but the fact that there is no limited slip differential available is a big drawback to more power. And while I am adventuresome, owning a one-off car is not for me.

The biggest difference between the two has been reliability. My LS had tons of "first year" problems. The lights, the stereo, the gas pedal (really!), paint issues, thermostat (with a botched repair that leaked), and twice I had it strand me because of a ignition wiring problem that took over a week to fix. All this happened in 36000 miles. My Marauder, after 9000 miles---4000 of them supercharged--has had a key fob stop working and the dash light switch stay on. Pretty good.

Amazingly, because it handled so well and shifted so sweetly, I still liked the LS very much. And I do not think my reliability experience was typical.

mtnh
10-12-2004, 06:44 AM
I have a 2000 LS manual and really like it. For used LS deals in the 25K range, it may be a wise thing to consider a LS V6 Base model, which is available in the $25-27K price range, brand new. Also, as Jerry from Jersey said, you can get a $41K stickered LS for a small amount more than $30 with the proper timing (relative to leftover models from the previous year or later in the product model year cycle, like after january).

The HP increase that was gained first in 2002 with a better-breathing airbox and then in 2003 with variable cam timing, is just what the already quick LS needed. The resultant power increase places the new V6 3.0L engine into the power range that was available in the first V8s.

My own experience with the V6 MTX 2000 LS is that the transmission and engine combination, while wasting less power than an automatic due to less drive train losses, makes me only curious about what it would be like to drive a V8 LS. I do know that in highway passing, going 70-95+, it is a very rapid accelleration in that range with no downshift. Combined with the near 50/50 weight distribution and rear wheel drive, I think that the LS is the perfect car for me. It also has a very high crash test rating, so it was also designed to be a very safe car. Ditto on the high-speed off-on ramp performances. This car shines in handling, although in reality, the Marauder is very close in performance. The LS tends to cater to the smaller person, in terms of actual driving comfort, as many 6'3" and above people tend to not be able to feel comfortable in the driver's seat. It also is not as comfortable to the more plump driver.

All that said, I still get a huge thrill when I open up the Marauder at any speed. I think I get to drive it at least 300 miles a year these days...

The LS is certainly no slouch, though, and I get a kick out of how my car can swallow a 10-foot piece of pipe and a decent-sized pack of 2x4 or 2x6 lumber and still be able to close the trunk. I remember the day that I bought 40 steel 2x4 studs at lunch time, and had forgotten that I needed to pick up my daughter and her twin friends at gymnastics 5 miles from home on my way by...I had the 60% side of the rear seat folded down, and one of the twins sat in the front, one on the remaining 40% rear seat, and my daughter, well, let's just say that I drove carefully with her laying on her side in the trunk and sticking through onto the 60% side of the seat beside the metal studs... we laughed alot on that ride... :cool4:

Mike

Sactown
10-12-2004, 07:46 AM
I was also considering a new LS when buying the MM. Like everyone else, I think it handled great and the V8 had plenty of power for a daily driver. I wish the MM had the feature list of the LS. Opted for the MM because of size though. I was fine driving the LS (6'2"-220 lb) but adults in the back would have problems (I'm the short guy in my family).

TheDealer
10-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I wish they would have put the Lincoln LS trans. in the Marauder. They shift great and it's a 5 speed auto that you can shift manually too.

Bradley G
10-12-2004, 07:08 PM
I just got an LS for a loaner car from a rental co. while the car gets a grocery list done thank you MM.net:) It does have an aggressive shift schedule.Too small for my Big AZZ!

AJAX
10-18-2004, 10:32 AM
i drove several and my wife really liked them i think they use the same engine in the jag friend of mine stated they are a dealer only car to get worked on. we bought a 03 mm for less money than a 02 and 03 ls and i can work on most of the mm. can see around the engine. iusi
It depends what year LS, they bumped the horse power from 250 to 280 in 2003, ive driven both, you can tell a difference, the car handles well too...nice car...