PDA

View Full Version : Motor Differences

Wags
08-07-2002, 08:55 AM
Being this is my first Ford, and not knowing much about Ford motors (ask me anything about Chevy), what are the diffs between the Marauder motor and the Mustang Cobra? I know it has a different intake, but what are the other differences? I was told that they are simular to each other.

Thanks,

Pete

Logan
08-07-2002, 10:09 AM
They are the same motor with two major differences. The upper intake, and air intake system is specific to the marauder. Also, it has different cams to make it's peak torque lower in the power band. It also wears generic valve covers instead of the spiffy cobra ones..

Beyond that, it's a 01 Cobra motor with a 4R70+ tranny.

RancorKeeper
08-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Well, I've read at least two of the cams are the same (exhaust?), but the timing is different - which is why the horsepower number is lower. IINM, the torque numbers are the same as the 99 & 01 Cobra motor. Can anyone link to something where they say the cams are different; I'd be interested to see if that's factual or just speculation.

tetsu
08-07-2002, 03:13 PM
The current Cobra motor has a cast iron block vs the Marauder's aluminum block. Tons of upgrades throughout the motor. I really wish they had put the new Cobra Engine in there. Maybe for the X-100 in 2004. That same manual tranny would be nice too. Good Grief, I wish they had put a blower on there right from the start.

I guess even if it had, 400 hp, I'd still be wishing it had 450....450-500 ad nauseum. :)

Johnny

Dennis Reinhart
08-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Well, there are lots of differences between the two motors, the 03 Cobra has Forged pistons and they are lower compression than the Marauders. The Cobra has Manly rods the Marauder does not, it has hypertectic pistons with stock rods rated at about 400HP. The weakest link on any modular motor besides the 03 Cobra is the pistons, they cannot stand spark knock or detonation.

The Cobra is a Cast block the Marauder is an aluminum block. the Cobra has different cams and the upper intake is different, now you can build a Marauder motor just as I have done with my Mark 8, and it can be made durable with care using a stud girdle Manly Rods CP fully coated pistons head studs and Main studs Ported and polished heads, have the lower intake extrude honed, add a supercharger and a air/air after cooler with 15 pounds boost and corect injectors and Maff and FP and you have 500 plus RWHP on pump gas and a daily driver.

RancorKeeper
08-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Well, guys, we need to clarify something. The '03 Cobra motor is a different motor than the '99 & '01 engine, which is the powerplant the Marauder uses, with the few differences noted above. I don't think the new Cobra motor shares anything with older engine - the block, crank, rods, pistons, cam & intake are all different, maybe the heads are the same, but I doubt it.

Dennis Reinhart
08-07-2002, 07:08 PM
The heads are the same they are tumble port heads, there both Modular motors Ford fo once built one hell of a motor for the 03 Cobra, but the Marauder motor is art work to, its just not a Rolex,

Logan
08-07-2002, 07:13 PM
Like I said at the top of this thread, it's a '01 cobra motor that's been recammed and has a different intake setup.

As for proof of the recam, I'd have to look it up. Steve Babcock has been quote on multiple occaisions indicating the cams are different.

Dennis Reinhart
08-07-2002, 07:28 PM
My bust Logan OK, here we go the Modular Motor started in 1993, in the Mark 8 it stayed the same till 1996, Then ford came out with the Cobra, the blocks and heads are identical, the Lincoln motor has a forged Crank the Cobra has a steel crank, the heads are the same just different grind on the cams. Both have Hypertectic pistons and similar rods

In 1997 Lincoln changed the intake and 1998 was the last year, a earlier Mark 8 will walk away from a 1998, all of these motors have IMRC = intake manifold runner controls, think of these as secondariness on a 4bl, race guys take them out that's fine for the race track not good for the street since you lose bottom end torque, these are 4000 LB cars you want every thing you can get down low to get this thing going, now in 1999 Ford redesigned the heads to tumble port and they do not have IMRC's. These heads flow more but the cams are not as hot as the 98, so if you take 1999 heads install 1998 Cobra exhaust cams and Lincoln Navigator intake cams you increase bottom end torque.

So again the earlier Mod motors are very very close, sorry for the confusion.

RancorKeeper
08-08-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Dennis Reinhart
the Modular Motor started in 1993, in the Mark 8 ...

That was the DOHC 4.6L. The SOHC motor first appeared in the 1991 Crown Vic. Does anyone know when Ford stopped making the OHV 302 & 351? I know you could get a 351 in a '97 F250, but the Expedition that year was only available with the two mod motors at either 4.6L or 5.4L. Maybe '97 was the last year for the pushrod engines.

Logan
08-08-2002, 08:58 AM
97 was the last year of the production windsor, though Ford Motorsport still manufactures them...