PDA

View Full Version : New magazine

captJ696
10-08-2004, 05:02 PM
There`s a new magazine out that just hit newstands today called MPH "maximum performance + horsepower".
Mercury Marauder received "dishonorable "mention on page # 102- comparing our cars to 1994 -1996 Impala SS
"Mercury Marauder-this neo-SS s**ks because it can`t match the kick- in- the- pants of the SS and well, what is the point."

Well we know to a certain degree this may be true however you guys and gals who`ve started modding your cars..that`s where the excitement is! :burnout:

Joe

FiveO
10-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Let 'em look at Lidio's car and see if they change their minds.... :)

"I had a bit of Impalla SS for lunch with a snack of Camaro on the side" ;) :D

Smokie
10-08-2004, 05:13 PM
In the last Heavyweight Shootout I ran against an SS with cold air intake, high energy discharge ignition, modified exhaust and he never ran faster than .1 sec faster than me and in the second round of the brackets I out ran him and lost because I broke out by much....so stock versus stock, the superiority of the SS is no more than a myth...SS wins the 1/8 and MM. wins the 1/4.

Patrick
10-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Their both fine cars!!! Each has its good and bad points!!! :high5: :high5:

TripleTransAm
10-09-2004, 04:06 AM
In the last Heavyweight Shootout I ran against an SS with cold air intake, high energy discharge ignition, modified exhaust and he never ran faster than .1 sec faster than me and in the second round of the brackets I out ran him and lost because I broke out by much....so stock versus stock, the superiority of the SS is no more than a myth...SS wins the 1/8 and MM. wins the 1/4.

"cold air intake" : We've got an (apparently) very free-flowing intake. (I say apparently because I lack the airflow-measurement tools to confirm this personally, but all evidence seems to point this way).

"High energy discharge ignition": We've got that as well. Coil on plugs (or coil near is a winner, as I've seen in both the MM and my LS1, and is miles ahead of the absolute nightmare they designed for the LT1: The Optispark. Not only is it of dubious fundamental design (if you're interested, I can describe how it works), but the thing is not capable of living beyond a certain mileage without corroding itself to bits internally. That, and the plug wires exit the OptiSpark module so close together (4 on each side, tight) that inter-wire arcing or induction can occur.

"Modified exhaust": well, the MM's exhaust has apparently been proven to be restrictive beyond a certain useable RPM, but nonetheless it leaves the factory with true duals at a size that is somewhat matched to the displacement, with an H-pipe thrown in.

So it's only natural that the MM is the technological progression of what the SS was 10 years ago. If the SS (the real one) was still around today and had been allowed to progress technologically at the same rate, well then maybe the comparisons would have been valid, but as they say (I think): a day late and a dollar short?

Certainly the MM isn't perfect: the whole 'musclecar' image was overplayed by whatever little advertisement was devoted to the car, and to me 'musclecar' implies tire shredding performance at the press of the pedal. And Ford's quality control in its internal parts (whether in house or subcontracted) is the pits, with the number of faulty heads and bottom ends, etc. But next time an SS owner starts verbally abusing you, ask him to run head-to-head on a rainy day... or tell him his engine needs a wash and invite him to the track the next day. Can you say "cough sputter cough cough *backfire* cough"...?

This 'magazine' using the word 'sucks' makes me dismiss it as just another bunch of pages written on a ricer's thinkpad when he's not out trying to discover new wordz in which he can replace the 's' with a 'z', yo! Car and Drivel may go overboard with the prose at times, but I nonetheless prefer my reading at a (at least) post-grade4 level...

jspradii
10-09-2004, 06:26 PM
"cold air intake" : We've got an (apparently) very free-flowing intake. (I say apparently because I lack the airflow-measurement tools to confirm this personally, but all evidence seems to point this way).

"High energy discharge ignition": We've got that as well. Coil on plugs (or coil near is a winner, as I've seen in both the MM and my LS1, and is miles ahead of the absolute nightmare they designed for the LT1: The Optispark. Not only is it of dubious fundamental design (if you're interested, I can describe how it works), but the thing is not capable of living beyond a certain mileage without corroding itself to bits internally. That, and the plug wires exit the OptiSpark module so close together (4 on each side, tight) that inter-wire arcing or induction can occur.

"Modified exhaust": well, the MM's exhaust has apparently been proven to be restrictive beyond a certain useable RPM, but nonetheless it leaves the factory with true duals at a size that is somewhat matched to the displacement, with an H-pipe thrown in.

So it's only natural that the MM is the technological progression of what the SS was 10 years ago. If the SS (the real one) was still around today and had been allowed to progress technologically at the same rate, well then maybe the comparisons would have been valid, but as they say (I think): a day late and a dollar short?

Certainly the MM isn't perfect: the whole 'musclecar' image was overplayed by whatever little advertisement was devoted to the car, and to me 'musclecar' implies tire shredding performance at the press of the pedal. And Ford's quality control in its internal parts (whether in house or subcontracted) is the pits, with the number of faulty heads and bottom ends, etc. But next time an SS owner starts verbally abusing you, ask him to run head-to-head on a rainy day... or tell him his engine needs a wash and invite him to the track the next day. Can you say "cough sputter cough cough *backfire* cough"...?

This 'magazine' using the word 'sucks' makes me dismiss it as just another bunch of pages written on a ricer's thinkpad when he's not out trying to discover new wordz in which he can replace the 's' with a 'z', yo! Car and Drivel may go overboard with the prose at times, but I nonetheless prefer my reading at a (at least) post-grade4 level...

C'est bon!:beer: