PDA

View Full Version : Dial up Sucks.

Logan
10-10-2004, 04:50 PM
I forgot just how much until Time Warner told me..."Sorry sir, We can't hookup your cable until the 15th..."

How DO people do this with any degree of patience? YEEESH!!

Personal update, I'm now livin in Round Rock, TX. Took me 4 hours to find all the pieces to my computer today...

Starting the new job tomorrow...

Gotta go!!

FiveO
10-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Good luck Logan.

Keep us informed...when you can get online with that old modem ;) :D

captJ696
10-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Personal update, I'm now livin in Round Rock, TX. Took me 4 hours to find all the pieces to my computer today...

Gotta go!!

Once again congrats on your new home and job! :rock:

2003 MIB
10-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Good to hear from you, Boss. I hope the move was smooth. Tip for new job: take chewing gum. People like chewing gum.

CRUZTAKER
10-10-2004, 05:05 PM
It's good to hear from you sir. Glad you're moved in and getting oriented. Have a great day at your new place of employment.

Lowell
10-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Good Luck, God Bless.

SergntMac
10-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Knock 'em dead...

Patrick
10-10-2004, 05:48 PM
If I loose cable modem...... :shot:

BUCKWHEAT
10-10-2004, 05:50 PM
I forgot just how much until Time Warner told me..."Sorry sir, We can't hookup your cable until the 15th..."

Gotta go!!

Best of luck. Enjoy Austin!

John & Gina

bigslim
10-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Hope everything works out fine for you Logan. I found out that my laptop with my cell phone hook-up works faster than dial-up.

jgc61sr2002
10-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Logan - Congrats on your new home and good luck with your new job.

martyo
10-10-2004, 06:07 PM
What is dial up???? :confused:

drobin
10-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Logan,

The best to you and your family on your new adventure !!!!!!

drobin
"Donald"

Donny Carlson
10-10-2004, 07:16 PM
One step above smoke signals and grunts.

On the bright side, his button now works MUCH slower!

MarauderMark
10-10-2004, 07:21 PM
It's good to hear from you sir. Glad you're moved in and getting oriented. Have a great day at your new place of employment.

My sentiments exactly!!

martyo
10-10-2004, 07:22 PM
On the bright side, his button now works MUCH slower!

I'll let Todd know. BRB...

teamrope
10-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Does dial up still exist? Sorry...At least you will be back up to speed in less than a week.

Congrats on the new job!

cruzer
10-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Great to hear you made the trip O K--hope the family can get settled in soon. Now you know how I feel using dial-up and Intel 4 -700 :help: We'll all miss you---good luck, Maury :beer:

Bigdogjim
10-10-2004, 10:00 PM

Well you learn to do thing in between clicks:) Like cut the grass, wash the car ...etc.....:):lol: :lol:

Good luck with the new job play nice with the other kiddies :P

Ross
10-11-2004, 02:47 PM
You'll like that part of Texas. Great roads for going fast, and some nice twisty places. Much more so than Dallas.

the_pack_rat
10-11-2004, 03:04 PM
When & if I swing a a new MM, the hell with chip or gear mods .....

I'm going all out for a in-car dial up modem & an 8 track player. For the outside ... I'm gonna spring for a nice set of bias-ply G78-15 whitewalls.

Eric

TripleTransAm
10-11-2004, 03:26 PM

Dial-up is a term referring to a real old method of telecommunications, before the advent of decent-speed data and voice transfer such as speaking and hand gestures.

The term is derived from the fact that the ancient druids who invented this form of communications would place their sundials face up (hence, Dial-Up) in the direction of the sun, and the shadow would point in the direction where they had to fan the smoke signals rising from their brush fires. The destination would use their sundials in the same manner, but would align themselves such that the sundial's shadow pointed to their crotch... this was an effective way of returning received messages, except during mating season (hence the creation of the term 'hanging connection' when things went wrong - not to be confused with the datacom term 'pocket data').

This was used a long long time ago so little is known about the bitrates available. All that we know is that the communication was more reliable than the previously-used carrier pidgeons: frequently, bugs would interfere with the data transfer, diverting the birds carrying the data and resulting in lost messages... this was particularly bad during feeding time, especially if the birds were kept hungry.

Eventually, Verizon bought out the Druids' infrastructure and upgraded it to all-semaphores, and eventually that great big telephone exchange called Stonehenge was phased out altogether.

Patrick
10-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Dial-up is a term referring to a real old method of telecommunications, before the advent of decent-speed data and voice transfer such as speaking and hand gestures.

The term is derived from the fact that the ancient druids who invented this form of communications would place their sundials face up (hence, Dial-Up) in the direction of the sun, and the shadow would point in the direction where they had to fan the smoke signals rising from their brush fires. The destination would use their sundials in the same manner, but would align themselves such that the sundial's shadow pointed to their crotch... this was an effective way of returning received messages, except during mating season (hence the creation of the term 'hanging connection' when things went wrong - not to be confused with the datacom term 'pocket data').

This was used a long long time ago so little is known about the bitrates available. All that we know is that the communication was more reliable than the previously-used carrier pidgeons: frequently, bugs would interfere with the data transfer, diverting the birds carrying the data and resulting in lost messages... this was particularly bad during feeding time, especially if the birds were kept hungry.

Eventually, Verizon bought out the Druids' infrastructure and upgraded it to all-semaphores, and eventually that great big telephone exchange called Stonehenge was phased out altogether.

:rofl: :rofl: :lol:

chrish
10-11-2004, 07:31 PM
dial-up works for me........... :puke: