PDA

View Full Version : Its that time of year...

rayjay
10-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Be careful out there, the deer aren't looking both ways before crossing the street. You should see the damage to my wifes Contour that hitting Bambi did. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if she hit the doe. Took out the left front bumper, headlamp assembly, fender and drivers door. Tore the trim off the rear door and defecated down the remainder of the side. I guess the term dumb animals applies here as it was a doe that had twins and couldn't seem to stay away from the road. I've almost hit either her or her fawns on multiple occasions, as have many others in town. She used to like to cross the road at a blind curve. This time she was about 1000 feet north of that crossing from the woods that are tight to the road instead of at the pipeline where all the other deer seem to cross. Keep your eyes peeled, we're coming up on the rut when they all lose their minds...

Bluerauder
10-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Be careful out there, the deer aren't looking both ways before crossing the street. You should see the damage to my wifes Contour that hitting Bambi did. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if she hit the doe. Took out the left front bumper, headlamp assembly, fender and drivers door. Tore the trim off the rear door and defecated down the remainder of the side. I guess the term dumb animals applies here as it was a doe that had twins and couldn't seem to stay away from the road. I've almost hit either her or her fawns on multiple occasions, as have many others in town. She used to like to cross the road at a blind curve. This time she was about 1000 feet north of that crossing from the woods that are tight to the road instead of at the pipeline where all the other deer seem to cross. Keep your eyes peeled, we're coming up on the rut when they all lose their minds...
rayjay,
Thanks for the reminder. I'll mention this to my daughter since she travels through deer country enroute to school .... to teach 3rd grade. They don't always cross at the signs that the county set up for them either. :D

rayjay
10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
rayjay,
Thanks for the reminder. I'll mention this to my daughter since she travels through deer country enroute to school .... to teach 3rd grade. They don't always cross at the signs that the county set up for them either. :D
The woman I spoke with at the insurance company was in FL. She tells me how they put a tunnel under the road for bears to cross without hazarding traffic, "maybe they could do that for the deer where you live?" :lol: umh, no, I don't think that would work for deer...

Bluerauder
10-12-2004, 06:56 PM
The woman I spoke with at the insurance company was in FL. She tells me how they put a tunnel under the road for bears to cross without hazarding traffic, "maybe they could do that for the deer where you live?" :lol: umh, no, I don't think that would work for deer...
Actually, they did build a wildlife tunnel under the Fairfax County (VA 7100) parkway near here for the animals. Unfortunately, they didn't coordinate this with the animals since they prefer to cross like they always do.

Patrick
10-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Its big problem here in East TN. Just have slow down and pay a bit more attention.. They do have certian spot they like to cross!

rayjay
10-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Its big problem here in East TN. Just have slow down and pay a bit more attention.. They do have certian spot they like to cross!That was the problem when my wife hit one of the twins tonight, they changed from where they normally cross. Like I said, that particular doe has a death wish. As far as car/deer MVAs, our little rural county is averaging about 2-3 on my shift alone. It only gets worse once the does go into season.

FiveO
10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Don't even go there!!!

I've hit 3 deer in my life...all in my squad cars.

The accidents have gotten better with age...wierd.

1995..... head on.... $7K in damage. Airbags deployed....bad crash. No injuries...!

2002..... brushed a deer..... $2200...partial front end..headlight damage.

2002.... (3 mo. after the last)..... $250.... front headlight assembly only.

I hate deer. I've killed more deer in my life...probably 50+ on duty than most hunters have killed in their lifetime.

I hate deer!!!!!!

Patrick
10-12-2004, 08:51 PM
That was the problem when my wife hit one of the twins tonight, they changed from where they normally cross. Like I said, that particular doe has a death wish. As far as car/deer MVAs, our little rural county is averaging about 2-3 on my shift alone. It only gets worse once the does go into season.

Most of my driving is in town but when I do go out in the rural areas I keep an eye out. Thanks for making me aware of that. Friends have told me about crossing at the same area. Be safe.