PDA

View Full Version : How would you have made it better

MSR7878
10-14-2004, 05:20 AM
What gripes do you have about your MM, besides that it didn't come with a bullet proof 5.4 with a s/c'er? If Mercury would have asked you "How can we make this car better?" before they sold it to you what would you have told them?

My list is:

the dash clock, compass and idiot lights should dim with the rest of the dash lights

There should be a cruise light to let you know that you left your cruise control on

There should be a door ajar light

For what some of us paid there could have been more leather

I think those are my only non-horsepower related gripes

Captain Steve
10-14-2004, 05:29 AM
Traction Control and Overdrive settings should not reset when you restart the car.

Mike Poore
10-14-2004, 06:15 AM
Traction Control and Overdrive settings should not reset when you restart the car.
All in all, there's really little to complain about, and I find the MM to be the best put together package I've ever owned, but we need to know if you're talking about an '03 or '04. (mine's an '04.)
For instance the clock and compass are not issues in the '04.

I don't like the traction control warning light, especially at night, and would like to have the default option of turning it ON, not OFF.

The cruise control "on" circle thingey they use on all other corporate vehicles should be used, and it's hard to understand why the MM doesn't have it.

The big blue squares telling the high beams are on, and cruise control is off, could have been better designed.

Also, the warning chime, reminding the driver to cancel the turn signals, such as the one used on the Town Car, would be a nice touch.:rofl:

prchrman
10-14-2004, 06:36 AM
only 3 complaints...paint, paint and paint!!!!

Patrick
10-14-2004, 07:10 AM
I would like to have a air vent under the steering colum like my old mark 8. Other than..... just fine!!!

cyclone03
10-14-2004, 07:16 AM
Seats with more lateral support,snugger(adjustable)fit ting.
About 500lbs less wieght.
Bigger brakes (ie Cobra sizes).
Less overhang front/rear (something along the lines of the unabtainable Trilogy setup).
6 speed manual.
5 speed auto.
Of course more power,better mileage,better paint,mod friendly dealer network...

Ross
10-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Put together tighter so there is not so much wind noise.

Marauder386
10-14-2004, 07:21 AM
I have to agree with all of the above...all my points so far... :cool:

M386

Bluerauder
10-14-2004, 07:31 AM
What gripes do you have about your MM, besides that it didn't come with a bullet proof 5.4 with a s/c'er? If Mercury would have asked you "How can we make this car better?" before they sold it to you what would you have told them?
1. Give us 300B's back the full sized spare and the gas release button.
2. Fix the droopy rear fascia
3. Find a better way to fasten that leather flap under the front seats.
4. Replace the person who has been installing misaligned passenger window guides on MMs and CVs for the past 7 years.
5. Include coupons for Zainos, Mobil 1, Gas in the glove compartment.
6. Provide a "Certificate of Ownership" for each MM.
:D
And, oh yeah, a dead pedal or foot rest for my left foot ....

Patrick
10-14-2004, 07:37 AM
5. Include coupons for Zainos, Mobil 1, Gas in the glove compartment.
6. Provide a "Certificate of Ownership" for each MM.
:D

:high5: :high5:

MAD-3R
10-14-2004, 08:03 AM
I would like to have a air vent under the steering colum like my old mark 8. Other than..... just fine!!!

Were those to keep your...Jewels at a comfortable temp?

Patrick
10-14-2004, 08:07 AM
Were those to keep your...Jewels at a comfortable temp?

I will refrain.............
:fishslap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

Fast4Door
10-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Delayed Accessory bus would be nice (radio stays on after the car is shut off, like Explorers).

mcb26
10-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Maybe a ride comfort adjust from smooth to hi-perf

423REED
10-14-2004, 10:30 AM

My list is:

the dash clock, compass and idiot lights should dim with the rest of the dash lights

There should be a cruise light to let you know that you left your cruise control on

There should be a door ajar light

For what some of us paid there could have been more leather

I think those are my only non-horsepower related gripesI KNOW THAT MY MARAUDER IS JUST ABOUT PERFECT, BUT SINCE YOU ASKED, HERE'S MY LIST:

1) PERFORMANCE ISSUES - They should have offered the Marauder with an optional performance package. So you'd have a stock Marauder model and an optional higher performance Marauder package. Kinda like the Mach I, SVT Cobra, Cobra R, etc. This optional performance package should include the following: 4.10:1 axle ratio, factory installed supercharger (for 350HP TO 450HP), polished aluminum engine valve covers with the 4.6L emblems, extra-heavy-duty engine cooling/oil cooling/trans cooling, the higher speed drive shaft, higher performance brakes (slotted & cross-drilled), no engine rev/speed limit, special Marauder hood with dual ram-air intakes (a functional one only, just like in the 1987-88 Tbird Turbo Coupes), an even better suspension and handling package, etc.

2) MISC. ISSUES: The remote fuel door release, memory power drivers seat, leather covered console lid and door armrests, Marauder door sill entry aluminum trim plates, trim plates on the door armrests to match the dash & console shifter, cruise-on dash light, even better stereo & speakers (more watts and more speakers, like the Mustang Mach system), a larger capacity CD changer (8CD or 12CD), and mount the CD changer in the console (like in the Explorers), install the rear deck spoiler at the factory, install the Marauder emblems at the factory (the exact ones Logan sells/because they're so cool), better headlights, install a higher quality interior carpeting, install real rear seat head rests (like they showed in the 2002 convertible concept), etc.

* They should offer the convertible version. I'm a die hard convertible lover. I've owned six convertibles in my 40 years of driving, and I would buy the convertible concept that Mercury showed off on the auto show circuit in 2002.

THE THINGS THAT I WOULDN'T CHANGE AT ALL, INCLUDE: I really like the look of the Marauder (nee GM) body style. I know its been around awhile, but it still looks really cool, especially as a Marauder, with the monochromatic paint treatment, and without much chrome. I personally like the tires and wheels as-is. I think its cool having two different tire sizes on my car. I've never owned a car like this, and I like it being so different. I also like the performance car paint colors. In the sixties and early seventies, performance cars usually came basically in black, maroon, silver, etc. This historical fact apparently was not lost on Mercury. And I like the big roomy and comfortable interior. If I wanted a smaller car, I would have bought one. At my age, I guess I just want comfort along with my dose of performance. Our Marauders are very unique cars! I'm afraid that when Mercury finally does redesign the GM line, they'll make it look like everyone else's smaller car, instead of the unique car that it is. Remember that all the seniors love this body style too.

Marauderman
10-14-2004, 10:46 AM
WoW--I guess I agree with all items submitted so far---however--a slightly wider gas pedal would help keep narrow foot person from sliding their foot behind /under the gas pedal , and thus cause a real terrible problem.....duh!!

Ask me how I know --WOW--how that was close--( Ms.M 's foot got caught)--don't want to go there anymore---go to put the brake on--and the opposite occurrs--ouch--look out!!..caught it just in time---Whew!! :o

BillyGman
10-14-2004, 11:13 AM
I have absolutely no gripes concerning this car the way it was from the factory other than the lack of a bigger V8 engine, and a S/Cer. So since I've taken care of that myself, the car is close to perfect as far as I'm concerned. More leather would've been nice, but it's no biggie IMO. How many four door cars have you owned that after every time you park it, you just can't help but turn around and stare at it as you're walking away because it looks so good?

Marauderman
10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I have absolutely no gripes concerning this car the way it was from the factory other than the lack of a bigger V8 engine, and a S/Cer. So since I've taken care of that myself, the car is close to perfect as far as I'm concerned. More leather would've been nice, but it's no biggie IMO. How many four door cars have you owned that after every time you park it, you just can't help but turn around and stare at it as you're walking away because it looks so good?
.........yeah,,we are all "turners".for sure.... :banana:

Dr Caleb
10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
How many four door cars have you owned that after every time you park it, you just can't help but turn around and stare at it as you're walking away because it looks so good?

I just did that 10 minutes ago. Elvira was lonley :)

BillyGman
10-14-2004, 11:39 AM
ya just can't help doing that w/the Marauder. It's very seldom that I see any other car on the street that looks as good. And most of the time when I do, it's an old muscle car that has been completely restored. very few cars compare, and that's why you get so much attention when you drive these cars. Watch how many people stare at your car as you pass by. And it's people of all ages too. Focus owners, and Impala SS owners don't get that. Nor do Honda owners.

PJR
10-14-2004, 11:43 AM
I have to look at it when I walk away, because when I return some moron in a beater has parked next to it!! I even park in 'no man's land', and they still find me.

BillyGman
10-14-2004, 11:46 AM
yep, it never fails. I swear people must do that purposely. But it's always people who don't have nice cars. Jealousy I guess.

deerejoe
10-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Finally, a thread the average (un-modified) MM owner can engage.

I agree on the cruise control monitor.

I also believe the Marauder should have MOST of the ammenities OFFERED in the GM...interior appointments especially...but NOT performance robbing items.

The 'faux' pillar guages are no better than 'idiot' lights. What was THAT about? Certainly unbefitting the potential buyer who looks to such devices to deliver REAL data.

Top of the line brakes should always be a part of high performance automobiles...especially when gross weight is a factor.

Audio systems should be an option based on owner request. Really no big effort on the manufacturer to provide.

Exhaust systems have to comply to Federal noise emmision regulations. Resonators/mufflers, etc. are in the realm of owner mods.

In summary, much of the MM packaging as I know it was applied 'parts bin' (with a budgeted few out sourced) items assembled in a de-chromed coach.
Nothing over the top production wise.
I would be curious to know how much time/effort was spent on the design criteria.
Offering a 'special edition' automobile; if indeed the MM is that, can be very comprehensive in options or quick out the door standard packaging only.

Based on the lack of marketing effort...one might assume Ford Motor Company did NOT want to manufacture too many copies.
If that statement is true...the MM should definitely have been SPECIAL EDITION...with ALL the bells and whistles the purchaser would want.
The consumer base is there for American brand, high performance automobiles...even the large ones!!

Perhaps after all the issues being debated here and else where, Ford Motor Company might get it right 'the next time around'.
I would CERTAINLY place my name on an order list if the Company offered an (SVT), fully modified, SPECIAL EDITION Marauder in the near future.

As for the cost of that type of MM...can anyone here (fully modified) say they are not into the $40s or more with their after market set ups?

Jaguar
10-14-2004, 12:11 PM
I would have liked more interior options.

An option for no leather and manual seats.

I don't care about leather, I find them no more comfortable than cloth seats. It was just an unneccesary additional cost. Also the automatic seat mechanisms take up too much room so there's no room under the seats to put anything. I have no place to put junk! Plus it's just more to electronic junk to break and again an unneeded cost.

Thinking about it, the audio system could have been downgraded since it's pretty crummy anyway. No wimpy subwoofer, no weak Audiophile speakers, heck no cd player. Since I and many others are just going to upgrade the lame components sooner or later anyway.

I could think of more but basically there was a lot of little pointless things that I didn't really need on the car that just upped the price. I realize it was made that way on purpose to be marketed toward the luxury crowd. But for me and I'm sure a lot of others it wasn't about the luxury it was about the exterior looks and power. I guess it goes back to Mercury/Ford not realizing what they really had.

rumble
10-14-2004, 12:18 PM
All in all, for the money the car is damn near perfect!

The things I notice is we could sure use better brakes
and a REAL oil pressure gauge.

The only real complaint I have, they quit making it.

Bluerauder
10-14-2004, 12:21 PM
How many four door cars have you owned that after every time you park it, you just can't help but turn around and stare at it as you're walking away because it looks so good?
And, I thought it was just me !!! :rofl:

Mike Poore
10-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Anybody want to bet there's no cruise control monitor, simply because it got overlooked? :rolleyes:

Patrick
10-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Billys right as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!

423REED
10-14-2004, 02:16 PM
WoW--I guess I agree with all items submitted so far---however--a slightly wider gas pedal would help keep narrow foot person from sliding their foot behind /under the gas pedal , and thus cause a real terrible problem.....duh!!

Ask me how I know --WOW--how that was close--( Ms.M 's foot got caught)--don't want to go there anymore---go to put the brake on--and the opposite occurrs--ouch--look out!!..caught it just in time---Whew!! :oMarauderman...You know this subject seems like a strange improvement. But I've had the foot stuck on/in/next to the gas pedal three times. It raced the engine really high. Scared the bejesus out of my wife. What saved me is having my left foot firmly planted in the brake pedal. One time it startled me so much that I turned off the car! This must be a design flaw that L-M just hasn't addressed yet, or it may be the adjustable pedals. I've have never had this happen to me in 40 years of driving all sizes of cars! And my feet are big, size 14EEE!

Paul T. Casey
10-14-2004, 02:27 PM
The car is a real looker, but my ONLY complaint/comment is FIRE THE FOOL WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR DRAINAGE AROUND THE TRUNK!!! I get soaked every time I open it after it rains, after I wash it, and I'm talking hours after. Also, the mirrors hold water for a while. Wash and polish the thing, go inside for a drink, come back out and there's inevidably a water streak on both doors from the mirrors. All this water retention worries me a bit, i. e. moisture promtes rust.

cyclone03
10-14-2004, 03:50 PM
The car is a real looker, but my ONLY complaint/comment is FIRE THE FOOL WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR DRAINAGE AROUND THE TRUNK!!! I get soaked every time I open it after it rains, after I wash it, and I'm talking hours after. Also, the mirrors hold water for a while. Wash and polish the thing, go inside for a drink, come back out and there's inevidably a water streak on both doors from the mirrors. All this water retention worries me a bit, i. e. moisture promtes rust.

Here Here!
I agree,the ONLY thing that really PMO is the lack of water control around the trunk!

marauder307
10-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Gotta agree with pretty much everything said so far.

Just got done test-driving the MM's Pontiac knockoff, the new Bonneville GXP.
Blow for blow, the GXP's almost a dead ringer for the MM...the obvious exception being the different drive wheels. Engines are exactly the same size and setup (4.6L, 32v, dual cammer). Tranny's the same (in that they're both 4-spd autos). Both are packing 18x8 rims, but the GXP carries the same size tires all the way 'round. GXP does a clever fakeout with the exhaust; I thought they had actually put real duals on a B-ville until I looked underneath. It's a single with a big Y-pipe that starts just forward of the gas tank.

It's obvious that the Poncho boys decided to throw in as standard all the extras that L-M shanked us out of: Painted calipers, fender badges, polished pedals and doorsills (AND they get a dead pedal, but it's not polished), traction control (standard on GXP, optional on MMs depending on year and place on assembly line), and a sunroof (see traction control). They even get satt radio standard (XM).

Now...by way of roundabout discussion...there WAS one option that the GXPs get that I wish to God L-M had thought about. Maybe it's proprietary with GM...I dunno. But as a pilot, I find this option verrrrry sexy:

A heads-up display. It's kinda simplistic, but you get a height-adjustable green display that shows speed, whether or not you need gas, and some other readout that I can't remember at the moment...Ooooh. Daddy like.

As for the drive, it was short...only 1/8th tank of gas remaining. There's the same whooosh on acceleration as our cars, but without the pesky flat spot at 3 grand. They got the exhaust note right, even if it is only a single. Can't toggle off the overdrive. Feels like it rolls a bit more in the turns. I'm an acute technophile, so all the onboard computer stuff had me salivating like Pavlov's dog. They stole their seat design from MartyO's new seats (got suede inserts).

I'm sorry to hijack the thread like this. I guess the bottom line of what I'm trying to say here is that because L-M dropped the ball, somebody else picked it up...now look what THEY'RE doing with it.

JDC 302
10-14-2004, 04:50 PM
1.Manual Trans or at least a Auto Stick....
2.A 2 Door version like the X 100 with Exhaust exiting in front of the Rear Wheel
3. A Cougar Eliminator style hood scoop
4.Add 2" to the rear wheel width
5.Throw a passenger grab bar in there like the early Vette's and GTO's had

bugsys03
10-14-2004, 05:30 PM
A heads-up display. It's kinda simplistic, but you get a height-adjustable green display that shows speed, whether or not you need gas, and some other readout that I can't remember at the moment...Ooooh. Daddy like.

No way. I like the design of our dash layout-throwback to the 60's. I do wish we didnt have so much plastic inside. Glove box and door panels need some work, more luxury appearance I think.

fastblackmerc
10-14-2004, 05:41 PM
I'd like to see:

Front seat pockets ('03 had them, '04 didn't).
Headers instead of the cast iron "logs".
Option to "de-chrome", except for the wheels.
Intake on the correct side, ie passenger side.
Automatic parking brake release.
Memory seat / mirror option.
Backup radar, like the Lincolns & Navigators.
Choice of hockey stick / waterfall or Mercury head badges. For that matter why were both put on the car???
Power port not in the center console.
Power port for the rear seats
4.6L plaque on the valve cover(s).
Polished intake & valve covers

I second the motion for:

Remote gas door release on the '04's.
Cruise control dash light.
Wider rear wheels.
"Sport" option for the suspension.
Heads up display.
Full size spare in the '04's.
Better water control in the trunk area.
Door adjar light.
I left my turn signal on warning chime.
Bigger brakes.
Better support in the seats.
"Certificate of Ownership" for each MM.
Delayed Accessory bus.
4.10 gears option.
Supercharger option.
Logan's Marauder emblems.
Special hood with working RAM AIR (how about a reversed hood scoop with a working flap that opens at WOT?).
Auto-Stick.
Passenger grab bar on the dash.
Factory installed spoiler.

Just my :twocents:

:high5:

QWK SVT
10-14-2004, 06:54 PM
I won't address power issues, as we all know what the car can / can't do in a straight line. Besides, be honest - No matter what car most of us have, odds are we would be thinking about changing this, or that...

So, here's my list:

Brakes befitting a performance vehicle, that is this heavy
A PREMIUM Stereo - Indash 6 CD, MP3 capable deck, going to a couple of quality amps, powering 6 - 8 speakers, and a sub that doesn't fart with the smallest amount of bass
Headlights that do not fog up
Lense covering gauges (speedo, tach, etc) that does not fog up
Black paint that doesn't show scratches sooo easily
The full size spare I was s'posed to get with my 300A :rolleyes:

dwasson
10-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Better stereo, Godshead badges, Telescoping steering wheel, and a dead pedal.

TripleTransAm
10-14-2004, 07:10 PM
There's the same whooosh on acceleration as our cars, but without the pesky flat spot at 3 grand.

Transmission programming. The 'flat spot' appears to be an upshift or TCC application, if I recall my Autotap results... Should be addressable via proper reprogramming...
(although there goes your warranty, if you don't do it *just* right...)

Can't toggle off the overdrive.

If it's a typical GM 4-speed auto layout, the overdrive 'lockout' is accomplished in a different manner. The overdrive gear on a 4-speed automatic is *usually* 4th gear only, as with the MM. On the MM, clicking the OD button on the shifter tells the PCM to forget any notions of accessing 4th gear, and allows all gears from 1st to 3rd inclusive.

On GM trannies, it's accomplished via the shifter position. You've got the same manual 1, 2, and D ranges, but then there is an extra spot between D and Neutral which is usually a D with a circle around it (referring to OverDrive). So "1" gives you 1st only, "2" gives you 1st and 2nd (unlike Ford which starts and stays in 2nd) and "D" (or sometimes "3") gives you 1-2-3 and holds it there. The extra spot (OD, or sometimes just D if the rest of the shift ranges are 1, 2, and 3) gives you 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then eventually 4th gear.

This has been an interesting thread... in fact, one of my gripes on the car is related to transmission. One thing I do like about GM trannies is that holding it in 3rd (the equivalent of locking out our OD using the button) provides a 3rd gear that isn't quite 100% the same as the 3rd gear you'd get if you left OD enabled. In the OD-lockout selection (D in the case of 1-2-D-OD, or "3" in the case of 1-2-3-D), there is an overrun clutch which is applied, that keeps the tranny input locked to the output, giving a pretty good engine braking even when the TCC unlocks. I miss that on the Marauder, and enjoy it greatly with my 3.23:1 equipped GTA.

For that matter, my own entries in the wishlist revolve around wishing we didn't have to deal with warranty-busting mods to get the transmission to shift better. I wish we had trannies that were robust enough to stand shift-schedule modifications a little better (I've come across too many references to weak Ford auto trannies in the past 4 months). As mentioned I wish we had a properly-thought-out powertrain matching the car's girth, or as someone absolutely brilliantly mentioned earlier, an optional higher performance powertrain package at added cost (but with full factory warranty).

Most of all, I wish they had a tighter rein on quality control. Sliced misrouted harnesses, overheating heads munching their valve guides, flimsy tranny components (fasteners?), weak paint, questionable quality on some parts (hood bumpers, squeaking seats, loose seat cover flaps, etc.)...

And whoever allowed the early engine calibrations to leave the factory without being able to run smoothly in slightly cooler startup temperatures should be bullwhipped...
(I am thankful that my later CRD1 calibrations show only a minute hint of what you earlier owners must have gone through...)

edit: I rented a Bonneville (non-GXP, of course) in Raleigh last March, and I hated it. Of course, there's probably a huge difference in feel between this slab I drove and a GXP, but in the end there's something about that platform I just didn't like (the dash height? The seating position? The proportions?). I much prefer the MM's layout and feel.

TripleTransAm
10-14-2004, 07:13 PM
The full size spare I was s'posed to get with my 300A :rolleyes:

Ah, the beauty of owning a 300eh. All the mystique of being able to say you own a 300A, but without the actual equipment! ;)

No regrets here, it just means 'we the decontented' have lighter Marauders! :beer:

wm1964
10-14-2004, 08:29 PM
1. manual 6 speed :D
2. memory seat :)
3. convertible option (2 door of course) :beer:

David Morton
10-14-2004, 09:31 PM
1) Slotted, drilled and Zinc washed rotors, 14" front. 2) Stud and girdle rear end cover. 3) Front air dam and manifold the bumper cover 'slots' into a ram air induction pipe (a 'trap door' built into the pipe to prevent a column of water being sucked into the box). 4) Front and rear skid plate and panel.

Patrick
10-14-2004, 09:50 PM
3. convertible option (2 door of course) :beer:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

stevengerard
10-14-2004, 10:34 PM
well, to make the car "perfect" I agree with almost everyone. The few things that really bug me

of course the power issues
cruise control light - Steve B said eliminated to save money?!
dead pedal
I really wish the seats had suede inserts so the butt can stick in the turns
blacked out chrome trim around the windows, once again Steve B said that's what he wanted but it was a huge cost.
XM radio

BillyGman
10-14-2004, 11:01 PM
; I thought they had actually put real duals on a B-ville until I looked underneath. It's a single with a big Y-pipe that starts just forward of the gas tank.

It's obvious that the Poncho boys decided to throw in as standard all the extras that L-M shanked us out of: Painted calipers, fender badges, polished pedals and doorsills (AND they get a dead pedal, but it's not polished), traction control (standard on GXP, optional on MMs depending on year and place on assembly line), and a sunroof (see traction control). They even get satt radio standard (XM).

As for the drive, it was short...only 1/8th tank of gas remaining. There's the same whooosh on acceleration as our cars, but without the pesky flat spot at 3 grand. They got the exhaust note right, even if it is only a single. Can't toggle off the overdrive. Feels like it rolls a bit more in the turns. I'm an acute technophile, so all the onboard computer stuff had me salivating like Pavlov's dog. They stole their seat design from MartyO's new seats (got suede inserts).

I guess the bottom line of what I'm trying to say here is that because L-M dropped the ball, somebody else picked it up...now look what THEY'RE doing with it.Let me get this straight.....you're comparing a Bonneville GXP w/the Marauder? Sorry Dude, you're waaaaaaay out in left field as far as I'm concerned. That thing looks like an overgrown ricer mobile wanna-be!! What's with that trunklid and tail light bar that runs the entire width of the rear? Can U say "UGLY"? And what's with those garbage looking wheel choices??? And I happen to like the instrumentation on the Marauder dash, so I don't share your opinion at all. And traction control a standard option? U can have it, cuz I'm glad that my Marauder doesn't have it. Infact I purposely bought a 300A so that I wouldn't have traction control. And as far as the seat inserts, sorry, but I like my marauder seats better. Yes, I'll keep my RWD Marauder thankyou. The way you talk, it makes me wonder why you even bought a Marauder in the first place. Why didn't you just buy a wrong-wheel-drive car???

tbore007
10-15-2004, 11:42 AM
i would have to say better quality control. i can make a mile long list of defects [iv found] that you would not find on same priced imports. :(

John F. Russo
10-15-2004, 12:04 PM
How about the passenger front door that has no lock?

TripleTransAm
10-15-2004, 12:22 PM
The way you talk, it makes me wonder why you even bought a Marauder in the first place. Why didn't you just buy a wrong-wheel-drive car???

Whoa... to be a Marauder owner, does one have to dislike all other cars without exception?? jeez...

At one point in my life, I owned 3 Trans Ams, 1 Marauder and 1 Civic 4 door, simultaneously, and I can say I appreciated some details from all of them and disliked others. It's a free country / continent, the man is entitled to his opinion...

ADE 1000
10-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Heres my list of changes that Ford could have reasonably put on the car without adding to much cost or complexity.

1. Eliminate the 3000 rpm dead spot and include a decent engine/transmission calibration. Of course, I would have loved a factory blower or the 5.4, but the least they could have done is gotten the most out of the existing powertrain.

2. Add a driveshaft that can actually make use of the Z rated tiress

3. Add more functionality to the overhead console display (distance to empty, trip computer, oil life indicator, etc..). The fact that the "mode" button really does nothing is lame as hell. The current setup is a blatant cost reduction, pretty much the same console in the Town Car does a lot more.

4. Paint the calipers and add the Marauder name and logo to them. Having ugly unpainted calipers behind wheels that make them so obvious is unacceptable.

5. Get rid of the SUV size super tall rear tires. They do nothing but highlight the slow initial acceleration of the car. I like the forward rake, but that can be accomodated in the suspension. The odd tire sizes also make finding substitute tires for winter and or more performance oriented driving a real pain.

6. Include a decent factory audio system. The stock system is the worst I have ever had in a car. I never thought I would installing an aftermarket sound system in a car again until I got the Marauder.

7. Price the car closer to the actual transaction price in order to maintain resale (this problem exists with most domestic cars.)

Otherwise, they did a lot right with the car. All the nitpicks aside, it is just a supercharger away from being perfect in my mind. :burnout:

jaywish
10-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Yes I agree with most of the relatively small but significant things that could have elevated a really nice car to (maybe) world class standards.

My Biggies in order:

1) gas door release, (with the price of gas now, I lost over a half tank of premium from the wagon last week)
2) quality, quality, quality (paint, leather, stereo, stronger trunk organizer, etc.)
3) details, details, details (eg convience lights, door pull grabs, auto brake release, pedal placement/size, trunk drips)
4) independent rear end, (it would really improve city driveing)
5) bigger brakes,
6) supercharger,
7) a more quiet exhaust
9) headers

Jay

Silver_04
10-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Ditto with the quality...oh wait, I don't have mine anymore:) Guess I'll just wait unitl the 2007 model year to see if the AutoWeek claim of a more powerful Marauder is true.

marauder307
10-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Let me get this straight.....you're comparing a Bonneville GXP w/the Marauder? Sorry Dude, you're waaaaaaay out in left field as far as I'm concerned. That thing looks like an overgrown ricer mobile wanna-be!! What's with that trunklid and tail light bar that runs the entire width of the rear? Can U say "UGLY"? And what's with those garbage looking wheel choices??? And I happen to like the instrumentation on the Marauder dash, so I don't share your opinion at all. And traction control a standard option? U can have it, cuz I'm glad that my Marauder doesn't have it. Infact I purposely bought a 300A so that I wouldn't have traction control. And as far as the seat inserts, sorry, but I like my marauder seats better. Yes, I'll keep my RWD Marauder thankyou. The way you talk, it makes me wonder why you even bought a Marauder in the first place. Why didn't you just buy a wrong-wheel-drive car???

Now Billy....take deep breaths, man. A couple of Thorazine oughta fix that.

If I wanted a GXP, I'da bought one. I think you missed my point, utterly. We're discussing things we would do, or would have done, or would like to do with our cars, and I'm noticing that Pontiac pretty well stole the MM's playbook...and did a few improvements. I for one woulda included some of the things that Pontiac saw fit to make standard. Definitely woulda liked the HUD...the painted calipers too, now that I think about it. Gives some protection from road crud. And what's with the total prejudice against FWD? I see you're in Connecticut. I been there in the wintertime; it's cold, wet, and snowy. FWD is the only way to keep going under those conditions... although I'll admit, it won't do anything about ice.

The big drawback on the GXP is that with all the "standard" stuff on it, it's ridiculously overpriced; I think the one I looked at (it was black, BTW) was fully loaded and approaching 39k, before dealer prep and tax. The two vehicles are from different schools of thought. The B-ville prefers to go high-tech; the Marauder, traditional. They both work equally well given their mode of execution. The GXP looks better than the standard B-ville as the Marauder looks better (by a considerable amount) than the GM it evolved from. (Now don't shoot me fellas...I am NOT using the worn out cry of the ricerboys that the MM "is just a hotrod GM". Looks similar...but that's about where the similarities end.)

Calm down Billy. I'm not slamming it like you seem to think I am.

Enough hijacking. Sorry again folks....

bugsys03
10-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Yes I agree with most of the relatively small but significant things that could have elevated a really nice car to (maybe) world class standards.

My Biggies in order:

1) gas door release, (with the price of gas now, I lost over a half tank of premium from the wagon last week)
2) quality, quality, quality (paint, leather, stereo, stronger trunk organizer, etc.)
3) details, details, details (eg convience lights, door pull grabs, auto brake release, pedal placement/size, trunk drips)
4) independent rear end, (it would really improve city driveing)
5) bigger brakes,
6) supercharger,
7) a more quiet exhaust
9) headers

Jay

Hey jay what was #8? Maybe 7 and 9 would make sense to me if I knew what 8 was

Merc-O-matic
10-15-2004, 08:39 PM
And get rid of that crappy/cheap axx dot-matrix windshield tint.
The old style dark blue tint is 100% better... like on the 2003 300A
And yes, there is no key hole on the front passenger (side)
door......cheap, it saves money. Just like everything else they took off!

"There's a sucker born every minute!" :alone:

BillyGman
10-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Now Billy....take deep breaths, man. A couple of Thorazine oughta fix that. LOL, you're "entitled" to your opinion as I am also homeslice.....

Pontiac pretty well stole the MM's playbook. Sorry, I don't agree..and did a few improvements. "Improvements" U say? Oh, U mean like that UGLY body style? ... the total prejudice against FWD? I drive a performance car. It's a Marauder. And as far as I'm concerned, real performance cars are RWD. The rest are for ricer wanna-bees. I see you're in Connecticut. I been there in the wintertime; it's cold, wet, and snowy. FWD is the only way to keep going under those conditions...Oh yeah? Well maybe you can tell that to the guy w/the FWD car that got stuck on the snow covered hill last wonter who saw me drive right around him and keep going up the hill w/my RWD Marauder that I mounted the things called "snow tires" on the back. And they were un-studded tires I might add. ;)

Calm down Billy. I'm not slamming it like you seem to think I am.

Enough hijacking. Sorry again folks....Naw Dude, I'm perfectly calm...I just don't see how you can possibly look at the body style of the Pontiac, and compare the car w/the a great looking car like the Marauder. Perhaps great looks of a car are much lower on your priority list than they are on mine. To each his own. U stated your opinion, and the one in this post is mine.

BillyGman
10-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Whoa... to be a Marauder owner, does one have to dislike all other cars without exception?? jeez...So who dislikes "ALL" other cars??? Not me....

At one point in my life, I owned 3 Trans Ams, 1 Marauder and 1 Civic 4 door, simultaneously, and I can say I appreciated some details from all of them and disliked others. It's a free country / continent, the man is entitled to his opinion... Uhmm, yeah, just like I'm "entitled" to mine. THANKYOU..... really, U take me too seriously....I'm just talkin cars man......one of my favorite subjects......so if you can't get a little passionate about cars once in awhile like I can, then I'm sorry for your lack of enthusiasm..... "jeez"

jaywish
10-16-2004, 08:38 AM
Hey jay what was #8? Maybe 7 and 9 would make sense to me if I knew what 8 was

Hey Bugsys03.

It would be nice if I could count huh?

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that mufllers can be designed to be quiet and still provide a less restrictive path. What I was trying to get at was that a quiet exhaust with high flow to help with engine performance would be my preference. I could be off base on this but I can dream.

Just another sit back observation.

If Ford did all the option and quality things the car probably would have come out to be be a Hot Rod Lincoln and not a Merc. So maybe I'd just leave in the quality issues and the performance items to make the perfect Marauder.

Jay

Vortex
10-16-2004, 01:43 PM
With just a few miles under my belt there are only a few gripes:

Subwoofer shakes the hell out of the rear package tray causing horrible buzz;

Squeaking in passenger front door;

Method for turning on/off stereo from steering wheel control (also change disc and go back to previous song) and not having to do it on dash;

Bigger cupholder in front;

Replace hood, trunk and steering wheel logo with godhead;

Add about 100 more hp and 100 ft/lbs torque without superchaging or turbo;

Thats about all I can think of. I really do like my car and even though the body-style has been around awhile, it looks better than a new 5 Series or E Class in my humble opinion.

MyTMerc
10-16-2004, 03:01 PM
I'd start by hiring a new Humand Factors Engineer to design better infaces. Love the car but it's got some basic things that should have been thought through before production. I've read plenty of great ideas already. These are not revelations, they are on plenty other cars today. Here's my two sense:

The cup holders aren't wide enough
The should be an option for a hands free cell phone through the radio with voice activation
Navigation system should have been optional
XM Satelite radio option
Should have more than one plug in for accessories located outside the glove box
Did I say More Power!!!!
Better brakes

duhtroll
10-16-2004, 05:32 PM
I'd like to see a bigger plant. I know I know, they stuffed the 4.6 in there, but you would think with the size of this car they should be able to find a way to increase displacement for that 5.4L fit. Then a S/C would not be necessary unless you really want to be over the top.

I agree with almost all of the stuff above - no spoiler and dead pedal though. I hate spoilers and think dead pedals get in the way on hwy trips.

Brighter headlights would be a neat addition and very little cost.

I totally agree with the badges change - why two different kinds?

I can't fathom why no one has mentioned a trunk monkey. Should be standard.

Oh, and I want a horn that parts the hair of the people in front of me, dammit.

BTW What happened to my presidential knockout thread? It's just a game . . .. :(

Thanks,
-A

Patrick
10-16-2004, 06:13 PM
I can't fathom why no one has mentioned a trunk monkey. Should be standard.
-A

Only you!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

EbonyMarauder03
10-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Hmm...let's see:
More colors out of the gate.
More power or less weight.
Bigger gas tank.
Better paint.
Invert the warning lights, ie. blue high beam bulb
instead of black high beam bulb on a blue box.
True gauges. Real oil pressure.
Better supporting seats so I don't slide out on high
speed manuevers.
A rear tire size that more than one tire maker makes.
4.10 gears from the factory.
HID headlights.

QWK SVT
10-19-2004, 06:08 PM
New addition, I didn't really think about, until today (it's cold)... It would be really nice, if I could have BOTH vents AND floor on at the same time. First car I've ever been in, has had this... :rolleyes:

AJAX
10-21-2004, 09:21 PM
I would offered it with a nice split bench with nice arm rest for long trips. and a bucket seat option with a real shifter a hurst dual gate like the ones we instaled in the 70s f body camaros. its fun to be able to shift one evry once again had a acura tl auto stick good running v6. I will do a shifter upgrade if it is marketed.