PDA

View Full Version : Ford uses Steve McQueen in new mustang marketing

MERCMAN
10-14-2004, 09:07 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=6&u=/ap/20041014/ap_en_tv/mustang_mcqueen

Bluerauder
10-14-2004, 09:22 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=6&u=/ap/20041014/ap_en_tv/mustang_mcqueen
Using Steve McQueen for the introduction of the 2005 Mustang is sheer genius. Can't wait to see that commercial. Where was that marketing guy when the Marauder was up for consideration. :up:

Steve McQueen has been dead for 24 years ... and is still making commercials. Talk about a work-a-holic. :rofl:

SHERIFF
10-14-2004, 09:59 AM
I guess you're one of those who think Elvis Presley is dead too? :)

Think about it, how could Steve McQueen be in a commercial if he was dead? :D

Patrick
10-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Good idea for marketing!!! Just cant wait to drice one!!!!!!!!

jerrym3
10-15-2004, 08:13 AM
It's simply amazing how a low budget movie with really only one big star (two, if you count the Mustang) still gets talked about, copied, and compared to.

Don't know how many of you actually saw it when it was in the movies, but your stomach couldn't help but feel the jumps and bumps while watching the big screen.

Not to belittle McQueen, but if he had turned down the role, my second choice would have been Lee Marvin. He would not have been able to keep the emotionless look that McQueen could do so well, but when he had the look of fire in his eyes with that smirk.....frightening.

Amazing job in "The Man who shot Liberty Valence" movie.

Amsoil_Dealer
10-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Not to belittle McQueen, but if he had turned down the role, my second choice would have been Lee Marvin. He would not have been able to keep the emotionless look that McQueen could do so well, but when he had the look of fire in his eyes with that smirk.....frightening.

Lee Marvin is indeed a good actor and a bad mutha ******a but your wrong that he could have played the part in Bullitt......What is most amazing about Steve McQueen was that he did all the driving (except maybe some of the idiotic jumps) himself.

My favorite McQueen movie was "LeMans". He did most of his own driving there as well (He won the 12 hrs of Sebring in 1970 in a Porsche, 908 I think) and directed the movie. He was so obsessed with getting everything right (positions of the movie cars on the track, proper sounds, etc) that he almost broke the bank.

Steve Mcqueen was a man's man who really knew how to drive.

Don

TripleTransAm
10-15-2004, 08:31 AM

Agreed on Marvin, but that cool emotionless look was what made the movie work on a level beyond just automotive coolness. The character was supposed to show he was getting swallowed up in the whole dirty atmosphere while trying desperately to stick to his guns (no pun intended). Most everyday people would not have reacted with bravado and fire... they probably would have been very pensive about the whole situation, much like McQueen portrayed his character. Very humanlike... my measure of an actor's ability is how he/she can make me forget they are acting, and instead believe in the character.

Perhaps "emotionless" wouldn't be a proper word to use, in my opinion... I'd say his expressions tended to show there was some calculated thinking going on inside the noggin.

Bluerauder
10-15-2004, 08:56 AM
It's simply amazing how a low budget movie with really only one big star (two, if you count the Mustang) still gets talked about, copied, and compared to.
Three if you count the '68 Charger R/T. :D Yes, McQueen did all the driving himself. I have heard that the chase scene used up 3 Mustangs and 4 Chargers. :(

jerrym3
10-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Sometimes it's hard to separate the "actor" from the "man".

McQueen:

"By his teens, McQueen had developed a rebellious streak, and he began spending time with a group of juvenile delinquents; McQueen's misdeeds led his mother to send him to Boys' Republic, a California reform school. After ninth grade, McQueen left formal education behind, and after a spell wandering the country, he joined the Marine Corps in 1947. McQueen's hitch with the Leathernecks did little to change his anti-authoritarian attitude; he spent 41 days in the brig after going Absent With Out Leave for two weeks."

Marvin:

"Born February 19, 1924, in New York City, Marvin quit high school to enter the Marine Corps and while serving in the South Pacific was wounded in battle. He spent a year in recovery before returning to the U.S. to begin working as a plumber's apprentice."

Marvin quits school to join the military and was wounded serving his country, while McQueen...................sure could drive. McQueen left the Marines in 1950. He must have just missed the Korean War, which started in June, 1950.

No disrespect to McQueen, but Marvin proved what kind of man he was.

Reading their complete bio's (Circuit City/Movies/search on actors), they appear to have pretty similar backgrounds.

DEFYANT
01-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Does anyone have a link to the add?? I cant seem to find it.
Thanks

woaface
01-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the Bio TTA! I knew I'd have to figure out who this was from somewhere....

martyo
01-13-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the Bio TTA! I knew I'd have to figure out who this was from somewhere....

James aren't you supposed to be in homeroom or something? And where the hell is Elaine?

Elaine.....

TAF
01-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Elaine.........

Bradley G
01-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Your friendship is only gonna carry ya so far :mad: James has been a little under the :gangster: Lately!

Bradley G