PDA

View Full Version : N H L ???

MarauderMark
10-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Does anyone miss Hockey?? I sure do. GO Flyers?If things keep on going like this .hokey just wont be the same next year.C'mon NHL FIX THE PORBLEM!!!!!!!!

Paul T. Casey
10-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Hockey, quite possibly the worlds perfect sport. I'll be doing some minor and semi pro attendence this year. Nothing can compare to the NHL though. And, I'm not even a big fan of the fighting.

MMM2003
10-17-2004, 12:04 PM
We have season tickets to our Wisconsin Badgers Hockey. I have been up to St. Paul to see the Wild play. Can't say that I miss Pro Hockey. I always prefered following college sports.

Hockey, quite possibly the worlds perfect sport. I'll be doing some minor and semi pro attendence this year. Nothing can compare to the NHL though. And, I'm not even a big fan of the fighting.

Bluerauder
10-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Does anyone miss Hockey??
I get up to MCI Center to see the Washington Capitols occasionally. Used to play in my younger years. The old CCM Tacks still fit .....

Patrick
10-17-2004, 02:36 PM
NHL??? :confused: :dunno: Oh Ice Skating!! :lol: :lol:

RoyLPita
10-18-2004, 04:44 AM
When the players accept the fact that the owners are not budging on the raises then we might see somewhat of a pro season.

Just my .02 and then some.

rookie1
10-18-2004, 05:16 AM
As a longtime RedWing fan , YES, I miss hockey.
Unless the Players or the owners significantly change one of their positions, however, we are going to be without the NHL for a long time.

GarageMahal
10-18-2004, 07:39 AM
We have season tickets to our Wisconsin Badgers Hockey. I have been up to St. Paul to see the Wild play. Can't say that I miss Pro Hockey. I always prefered following college sports.

Yes, I really miss hockey. At least I will have lots of college hockey to watch. Go Gophers!

jta

MM03
10-18-2004, 07:54 AM
It's really to bad. It's a great sport with alot of class act guys. The NHL just dosen't have the fan base the the other major spots have. Without more fans there just won't be enough money to pay the players what they want. :bigcry:

MAD-3R
10-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Baseball survived worse strikes. Hockey will endure and continue.

Haggis
10-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Yea I miss hockey, but what I miss most of all is old time hockey, like they played in the '60s and '70s. The league has changed the rules so many times in the last few years that I don't know what is and isn't a penalty anymore. I hate it when an offical calls a penalty on a clean open ice check for interference and I even heard of them possibly removing the blue lines, there goes the defensive part of the game. Might as well give them sneakers and a basketball then, hey why don't they just remove the Goalie if they want a high scoring game.

But, honestly the best hockey games I have ever seen was PeeWee Hockey, those 4, 5 and 6 year olds are the best. :bows:

QWK SVT
10-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Well, being from Toronto, hochey is basically embedded into our lifestyle. Lemme put it this way - One of our leading newspapers actually reports on simulated games (played using xbox)...:rolleyes:

Now I have to watch our pathetic basketball team. Don't get me wrong, I love basketball. Just finding hard to get interested, when our oft-injured star, Vince Carter, in such a cry-baby. Latest quote was something like, "I don't like it here, anymore. You must trade me... Wah, wah, wah":bigcry:

If you're getting paid millions to play a game, you don't have the right to be such a suck!

TripleTransAm
10-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Baseball survived worse strikes.

Not everywhere... Montreal was on the road to a possible championship in (was it 1994?) when all of a sudden WHAM the strike put a stop to that. And it never recovered after that...

(and that included myself... I really tuned out baseball after that fiasco)

Seems to me we had players that were more interested in playing for the love of the sport back when we had better PLAYERS, not boxers who know how to skate. I find it hard to feel sorry for players every morning as I drive by their mansions... (there are about a dozen Hockey players living in my neighborhood).

Nonetheless, I'll be seeing an alternate league game at the Bell Center in about a month, late November... with the absence of NHL hockey there, they've found some alternatives. Should be an awesome game: the two teams share some intense rivalry, and one of the teams has their logo and name patterned after the team in Slap Shot (these are called the Laval Chiefs). It's apparently quite intense, and can outclass some of the more boring NHL games that have been played in the past...

Dr Caleb
10-20-2004, 08:18 AM
I went to the Edmonton Roadrunners game on Saturday. They're an AHL team that are filling the gap left by the Oilers during the strike. Same game times, same arena.

When was the last time that anyone paid $15 a seat to watch hockey! And they weren't nosebleed seats ethier! Nearly a full stadium, and the caliber of play wasn't much different than the NHL. A great time indeed!

/Steve: Go to a Laval game! You might be surprised!

Haggis
10-20-2004, 08:35 AM
When was the last time that anyone paid $15 a seat to watch hockey! And they weren't nosebleed seats ethier! Nearly a full stadium, and the caliber of play wasn't much different than the NHL. A great time indeed!

I agree 100% with you Glenn, prices are nuts. Tickets to see the Washington Capitols at the MCI Center run from $75 for the cheap seats to $125 for the lower level seats. There is no way I am going to pay those prices to see a game live when I can get instant reply on TV and don't have to stand in line for a half hour to go to the bathroom to have some drunken idiot pee on my shoes.

Patrick
10-20-2004, 11:33 AM
some drunken idiot pee on my shoes.

Sorry!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TripleTransAm
10-20-2004, 01:40 PM

Oh, I've seen Laval play. There is a certain "rivalry" that exists between Verdun and Laval... whenever they play, the results are very exciting, and in some cases explosive. I think they take their 'chiefs' name too seriously (ref. Slap Shot).

About a year or two ago, they celebrated some sort of anniversary of the movie by putting a bunch of fans on a bus along with a TV crew, and interspersing the lot with a few of the Quebec-native actors from that movie (ex. the goalie, and one other player, etc.). They interviewed fans about their memories of the movie, and included some excerpts from the movie. Then they bussed everyone to a Verdun - Laval game, more interviews and movie commentary, then they went into the dressing rooms to interview the players and introduce them to the above-mentioned actors.

FYI: Slap Shot was one of the few movies overdubbed to "quebec-style" french instead of France-style french, and in local popular opinion, is as funny in the french overdubbed version as is the original english version, but for different reasons (ie. they didn't necessarily translate verbatim, but ended up with an equally funny movie using the french dialogue).