PDA

View Full Version : Experience with new 4.10's installed...

gonzo50
10-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Got my ring & pinion gear set, (4.10's) installed Saturday at Team Ford in Marrietta, Ga. with the new pinion bearing set, also had the TA Performance girdle and stud kit installed.

For anyone that is even contemplating on the rear gears mod like I was, I'm here to tell you that it's a must for this car. The performance gains are remarkable. This is one mod to have !

I had my Superchips Tuner 1725 with me so I can re-enter the correct gear ratio so my speedometer would read correctly.

After spending the night at La Quinta, and doing some shopping at the mall, the ride back home, (3.5 hrs.) was exhilarating, the engine's upshifts and downshifts were very precise and to the point. Passing was never an issue, but now it feels even more effortlessly. Got up to speed very quickly too.

I definitely benefited from this mod in more ways then one, First, the performance gains are "best bang for the buck", Second, I had the bad axel syndrome with no noise or leaks visible with only 17,975 miles. Jason, (Mechanic) said that the right side axel bearing would have started showing signs of leakage soon if left untouched.
They had an axel kit available to do the repair under warranty.
Thats what I call service. New axels & bearings, "Awesome".

I've heard of a break-in period for the gears, but it's kind of hard to do that when you have to drive 280 miles back home doing about 70-80 plus mph after an install.

Anyways, it was worth the trip back to the big ATL.

I want to give big thanks to Todd (TAF) for setting this up, and to the great mechanics and technicians of Team Ford for there time and effort.
Also Happy Birthday to MartyO and the unveiling of LK, a.k.a. Secret Project, awesome Marauder, what a bark it has !
I meet Smokie and his wife for the first time, awesome numbers on the Dyno Smokie, keep up the progress to reach 300 plus rwhp with a N/A Marauder.
Meet old friends again, you know who you are, Marauderman has an awesome supercharghed beast, and the stories are great too.

Hope to do it again soon if possible, Thanks for the good time. :beer:

SergntMac
10-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Congrats, Gonzo, I'm happy for you. Now she moves like she should, eh?

Smokie
10-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Carlos it was pleasure meeting you, I am very glad you had a very happy and spirited drive home; enjoy your new gears and I guess you will be needing new rear tires soon. :burnout:

Spiderplow
10-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Carlos,

I am about two weeks away from ordering some 4.10's for my 03MM. What manufacturer did you go with for the gears and why. I wasn't sure about having my local Ford dealership install it but after hearing your story I think I will consider it as opposed to using a local mechanic.

Thanks,
John

Got my ring & pinion gear set, (4.10's) installed Saturday at Team Ford in Marrietta, Ga. with the new pinion bearing set, also had the TA Performance girdle and stud kit installed.

For anyone that is even contemplating on the rear gears mod like I was, I'm here to tell you that it's a must for this car. The performance gains are remarkable. This is one mod to have !

I had my Superchips Tuner 1725 with me so I can re-enter the correct gear ratio so my speedometer would read correctly.

After spending the night at La Quinta, and doing some shopping at the mall, the ride back home, (3.5 hrs.) was exhilarating, the engine's upshifts and downshifts were very precise and to the point. Passing was never an issue, but now it feels even more effortlessly. Got up to speed very quickly too.

I definitely benefited from this mod in more ways then one, First, the performance gains are "best bang for the buck", Second, I had the bad axel syndrome with no noise or leaks visible with only 17,975 miles. Jason, (Mechanic) said that the right side axel bearing would have started showing signs of leakage soon if left untouched.
They had an axel kit available to do the repair under warranty.
Thats what I call service. New axels & bearings, "Awesome".

I've heard of a break-in period for the gears, but it's kind of hard to do that when you have to drive 280 miles back home doing about 70-80 plus mph after an install.

Anyways, it was worth the trip back to the big ATL.

I want to give big thanks to Todd (TAF) for setting this up, and to the great mechanics and technicians of Team Ford for there time and effort.
Also Happy Birthday to MartyO and the unveiling of LK, a.k.a. Secret Project, awesome Marauder, what a bark it has !
I meet Smokie and his wife for the first time, awesome numbers on the Dyno Smokie, keep up the progress to reach 300 plus rwhp with a N/A Marauder.
Meet old friends again, you know who you are, Marauderman has an awesome supercharghed beast, and the stories are great too.

Hope to do it again soon if possible, Thanks for the good time. :beer:

Paul T. Casey
10-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Hey Carlos, great to get to meet you and yours. I'm glad you like the gears. It's about the only mod I can't consider myself, but in a perfect world, I'd do it. BTW, I thought that baby was cool, and, she tried to get you to take every car there!

Mike Poore
10-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Yes! The shiny Hiny option! Way to go Carlos! Like we say: Best bang for the buck, and if there's other major mods later on, these ones can stay. Good insurance.
Sounds like you guys had a great outing.
.:party:

TAF
10-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Carlos...as always, it was a great pleasure seeing you again. And I'm glad to hear that you are so pleased with the 4.10s. :up:

gonzo50
10-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Carlos it was pleasure meeting you, I am very glad you had a very happy and spirited drive home; enjoy your new gears and I guess you will be needing new rear tires soon. :burnout:
Same here Smokie, pleasure meeting you and your wife.
I'm about due new tires now, already ordered them from Tire Rack and have them on hand when needed, Thanks.

Hey Carlos, great to get to meet you and yours. I'm glad you like the gears. It's about the only mod I can't consider myself, but in a perfect world, I'd do it. BTW, I thought that baby was cool, and, she tried to get you to take every car there!
Nice meeting you too Paul T. Casey, my little girl is just too much, she thought that all the Black Marauders there were mine, I wish. Anyways, hope to see you again, Thanks.

gonzo50
10-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Carlos,

I am about two weeks away from ordering some 4.10's for my 03MM. What manufacturer did you go with for the gears and why. I wasn't sure about having my local Ford dealership install it but after hearing your story I think I will consider it as opposed to using a local mechanic.

Thanks,
John
Ordered the Ford Motorsport Ring Gears & Pinion Set from Dennis, he's a vendor here, Team Ford in Marrietta, Ga. is an awesome place and Mod friendly too.

teamrope
10-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Congrats on the gears Gonzo, and thank goodness they found the axle problem befor it was a major inconveniance. From what I've seen of their work, (the Marauder formerly known as the "S.....t P......t"), you couldn't have had a better crew working on her.
:beer:
Got my gears from Dennis a while back, Wednesday I'm FINALLY getting them installed. Olyimpia L/M is doing them and installing the cooler t-stat & plugs. I'll load the tune. From the test drives I've done in Hwycruiser and Valleyman's cars, I cant wait!

Patrick
10-19-2004, 12:25 AM
:high5: :high5: Carlos!!!

Marauderman
10-19-2004, 04:06 AM
Carlos--Great meting you and the family again----It's nice to see another MM owner smile even bigger after an upgrade- The gears are a major difference --and that seat of the pants feel upon that first series of drives is just awsome isn't it!!..(Ms. M keeps a neck pillow in the MM ).congrats for you and hope to see you and yours again in the near future--actually I'll be back down on the 5th for a problem fix and re-tune.......happy motoring... :banana2: ....Tom

SouLRioT
10-19-2004, 05:27 AM
Carlos, I'm happy to hear you went and got the 4.10's. I'm sure you had just a good time on the highway as I did coming back from the ATL last time I went up.

Cobra25
10-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Even though I don't post my Mod's anymore ,I have the 410's too and as far as I'm concerned it's a really good mod. I'm glade your happy with them.

gonzo50
10-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Carlos, I'm happy to hear you went and got the 4.10's. I'm sure you had just a good time on the highway as I did coming back from the ATL last time I went up.
The trip back home was nothing short of "exuberating", very lively and fun. Got stuck in a couple of wolf packs, but that didn't last long once I saw an opening. :burnout: Thanks.