PDA

View Full Version : The Future is Now, Electric Drag Racing

merc406
10-22-2004, 05:13 PM
http://www.paradefloats.com/pages/orangejuice.html :cool:

and the Race page--http://www.nedra.com/ :cool:

The OJ dragster just sold on e-bay, cheap to, just 15,000.

Dr Caleb
10-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Sweet! We used to soup up remote controlled cars back in University. It's much harder than just more batteries and bigger motors!

Good to see it's maturing!

merc406
10-25-2004, 09:09 AM
California is into Hydrogen, guess electric will put to much strain on power companies.
Either or.......this will be in the near future since China has converted from ricshaw's to cars.

BillyGman
10-25-2004, 10:51 AM
The day I go to a dragstrip and see electric cars racing instead of TopFuel cars, is the day I'll stop going to the dragstrip. That would definately make me :puke:

Patrick
10-25-2004, 11:13 AM
DR/A "Current Eliminator IV" Dragster - 336V
Owner/Driver: Dennis Berube - Laveen, AZ
137.65 Silent Thunder2000
Sacramento, CA
October 21, 2000

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

merc406
10-25-2004, 11:39 AM
The day I go to a dragstrip and see electric cars racing instead of TopFuel cars, is the day I'll stop going to the dragstrip. That would definately make me :puke:

Top Fuel, I see no problem with them continuing, but gas car's, maybe in our kids life or our grand kids, depending on how old you are today.

duhtroll
10-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Agreed. It's definitely coming. The world only has so much of this stuff, and most of it ain't here in the US.

Besides, who says electric/hybrid/nuclear powered cars are all bad?

"Yeah, it only does 65.324K HP at the wheels, but it does get awesome traction. Got my 1/4 mile time down to 3.5 seconds yesterday."

Of course, we'd have to upgrade the *humans* in order to go that fast, but hey, anything's possible.

-A

Top Fuel, I see no problem with them continuing, but gas car's, maybe in our kids life or our grand kids, depending on how old you are today.

Dr Caleb
10-25-2004, 01:43 PM
The day I go to a dragstrip and see electric cars racing instead of TopFuel cars, is the day I'll stop going to the dragstrip.

Think about what drag racing is Billy. Trying to get as much torque to the wheels as fast as possible, and have it stick to the track.

Electric motors have several advantages to gasoline - near perfect efficency, 100% torque avalability from 0 RPM, and no top speed limit.

So a hydrogen powered fuel cell electric dragster could break the speed of sound in the 1/4 , providing the human inside wasn't turned into wonder-jelly.

Isn't that what racing is all about?
:beatnik:

Mike Poore
10-25-2004, 05:17 PM
So a hydrogen powered fuel cell electric dragster could break the speed of sound in the 1/4 , providing the human inside wasn't turned into wonder-jelly.
:beatnik:
Of course getting that thing back DOWN to zero would be a hoot! Think about putting your eyeballs back in their sockets, after retrieving them from the dash, or from the inside of your helmet.:D
.:awe:

Paul T. Casey
10-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Corn is the next step in fuels, just ask Barry Ferber.

BillyGman
10-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Think about what drag racing is Billy. Trying to get as much torque to the wheels as fast as possible, and have it stick to the track.

Electric motors have several advantages to gasoline - near perfect efficency, 100% torque avalability from 0 RPM, and no top speed limit.

Isn't that what racing is all about?
:beatnik:It won't sound,smell, or look the same though as gasoline, nor Nitromethane engines do. It's for this same reason why I was always disgusted and downright bored w/those tractors w/jet engines attached to them that I've seen at truck pulls, and monster truck competitions. I don't care how much power they have, they just won't burn rubber, and they're not the same. It's like if you were to take a rice burner car, put $20K into the engine, spray it like crazy, and beat my car in the quartermile with it. ya know what? I don't care. it's still ugly, it still sounds like a hi-perf weed wacker, and it still looks like a jellybean on wheels that wouldn't turn as many heads as my Marauder does. So even if it's an 11 second car, or even a 10 second car, you can keep it, cuz it's just not the same as a RWD tire smokin V8 engined muscle car.

merc406
10-26-2004, 06:35 AM
It won't sound,smell, or look the same though as gasoline, nor Nitromethane engines do. It's for this same reason why I was always disgusted and downright bored w/those tractors w/jet engines attached to them that I've seen at truck pulls, and monster truck competitions. I don't care how much power they have, they just won't burn rubber, and they're not the same. It's like if you were to take a rice burner car, put $20K into the engine, spray it like crazy, and beat my car in the quartermile with it. ya know what? I don't care. it's still ugly, it still sounds like a hi-perf weed wacker, and it still looks like a jellybean on wheels that wouldn't turn as many heads as my Marauder does. So even if it's an 11 second car, or even a 10 second car, you can keep it, cuz it's just not the same as a RWD tire smokin V8 engined muscle car.

Republican??? :lol:

Sactown
10-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Some of my best childhood fun was drag racing belt sanders with a 100' cord. Those things are seriously fast! Speed is speed, if it makes you grin it is good!

BillyGman
10-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Republican??? :lol:
LOL!!!!! yes sir!!!!!

Dr Caleb
10-27-2004, 07:39 AM
Some of my best childhood fun was drag racing belt sanders with a 100' cord. Those things are seriously fast! Speed is speed, if it makes you grin it is good!

Exactally! The most fun I ever had was with a remote controlled car, a very hyper cocker spaniel puppy and hardwood floors!

I agree that the races wouldn't be the same without the rumble, the burning rubber and that sweet smell of nitromethane - but wouldn't seeing a 2 second 1/4 mile be cool too?

jaywish
10-31-2004, 01:12 PM
I say anything that works better is OK.

We can always add a really loud audio system with big woofers linked to the motor control computer to provide the V8 thunder.

I haven't done the research on all this eco stuff but I do have some basic questions.

Doesn't the electricity have to be generated someplace?
(retorical question)

Don't we still use alot of coal?
(also retorical)

Are coal fired plants cleaner and more efficient than a 2004 California/NY emissions certified Marauder?

I hear hype about clean electric or hybrid cars, but are they really cleaner when all polution sources are counted?

I just don't know.

Even if electric is dirtier, the coal reserves are big.

Jay

:confused:

merc406
10-31-2004, 08:16 PM
I say anything that works better is OK.

We can always add a really loud audio system with big woofers linked to the motor control computer to provide the V8 thunder.

I haven't done the research on all this eco stuff but I do have some basic questions.

Doesn't the electricity have to be generated someplace?
(retorical question)

Don't we still use alot of coal?
(also retorical)

Are coal fired plants cleaner and more efficient than a 2004 California/NY emissions certified Marauder?

I hear hype about clean electric or hybrid cars, but are they really cleaner when all polution sources are counted?

I just don't know.

Even if electric is dirtier, the coal reserves are big.

Jay

:confused:

Electric vehicles will be able to generate their own power, some can now, with more R&D this will happen. :) :cool:

jaywish
11-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Did you ever say to yourself, What was I thinking? Or was I even thinking?

The whole point of the hybrids is that they don't require charging from the electric grid. "DOH"

merc406
11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Did you ever say to yourself, What was I thinking? Or was I even thinking?

The whole point of the hybrids is that they don't require charging from the electric grid. "DOH"

That is not the goal of any business out their that I can tell, they don't

make money if were off the umbilicle cord.