PDA

View Full Version : Scanner Help.

Patrick
10-24-2004, 09:42 AM
I bought an Epson 4180 Scanner yesterday. What fun. I can scan Photos but I am having problems Scanning 35mm slides!! OK I am not the most puter literate person in the group and the instructions just aint working. Maybe I need a :drink: . So if anyone has any :help: I would appreciate it!!!!

FiveO
10-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Don't slides have to be developed into 35mm photos before they can be scanned?

The slids are almost like negatives...IIRC.

Patrick
10-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Sorry got to run. People p^%^%g me off at the momment.

Patrick
10-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Don't slides have to be developed into 35mm photos before they can be scanned?

The slids are almost like negatives...IIRC.

It comes with 3 trays, one for 35 mm silde, 35 mm and negative holder and Medium transparency holder. Just confused and ticked. Help!!!!

SouLRioT
10-24-2004, 05:01 PM
It comes with 3 trays, one for 35 mm silde, 35 mm and negative holder and Medium transparency holder. Just confused and ticked. Help!!!!

What are the images looking like? are they still the negitives? Maybe attach the images your getting so we might help you better.

Patrick
10-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Maybe these pics can help.

Like the mouse pad??? Thanks Marty!!

SouLRioT
10-24-2004, 05:28 PM
I dont have a scanner that can scan negitives, but is it not scanning at all, is it a bad scan, or is it not after scanning it coming out with the right colors? Also, are one of those buttons dedicated for scanning in negitives or do you have to select it from the computer?

Slowpoke
10-24-2004, 05:57 PM
we have this scanner at the ofice. It WILL scan 35mm slides and negatives with no problem at all. Use the automatic mode and the scanner will detect the type of image you have and automatically adjust how it scans. We have had some issues with it automatically cropping slides incorrectly, we fixed by goiing into professional mode; previewing the image, then selecting the area to scan.

you need to understand that the slide is relatively small in size, the scanner will scan at 2400 dpi, color correct for the type of medium (like reversing out a negative], fix any scratches or dust on the slide, them zoom it back down to 300 dpi. if you have a slow computer it may take several minutes per image. We run the scanner on a HP X Series Workstation and the best we can do is about a minute per slide.

we are importing images into photoshop. any additional questions, send me a PM with your telephone numbr and I can walk you through it.

I can answer here too if you are more specific as to the type of the problem you are encountering.

BTW, it's an excellent scanner!

Patrick
10-24-2004, 05:59 PM
I dont have a scanner that can scan negitives, but is it not scanning at all, is it a bad scan, or is it not after scanning it coming out with the right colors? Also, are one of those buttons dedicated for scanning in negitives or do you have to select it from the computer?

Here is a pic of what I get when I scan below. I did one image that looked like a rainbow.. But I have differant modes for pics, paper and film. I know dont help much. I have three choices to scan but the best I could get was the rainbow pic.

Slowpoke
10-24-2004, 06:00 PM
just in case you did not know....

you need to remove the inside white backdrop to expose the white back lighting element.

place the slide tray on the glass so the peg is in the hole

place slides into tray, then close the cover.

Slowpoke
10-24-2004, 06:02 PM
oh, and the buttons on the front; we dont use them. we let photoshop and the scanner driver control the entire scanning process. much easier that way.

Patrick
10-24-2004, 06:23 PM
oh, and the buttons on the front; we dont use them. we let photoshop and the scanner driver control the entire scanning process. much easier that way.

Ok just a minute. I took off the white back drop. Back in minute.

Slowpoke
10-24-2004, 06:26 PM
yep, you're going to make a post saying you figured it all out!!

incidently, you can store all three trays between the backlight and the white background. they will fit and you won't lose them.

happy scanning!

Patrick
10-24-2004, 06:40 PM
yep, you're going to make a post saying you figured it all out!!

incidently, you can store all three trays between the backlight and the white background. they will fit and you won't lose them.

happy scanning!Close... I got the image to load up on the image preview, just need to save!!!!!!! How????

Slowpoke
10-24-2004, 06:45 PM
after previewing, you need to scan. if you are scanning into photoshop, photoshop will make four seperate images; just save each image with a different name.

i have not used the software that came with the scanner so if you are using that, i cannot help you. i think it also came with an adobe Elements CD; install that; it's a very rudimentary imaging software; it should run the scanner just fine.

Patrick
10-24-2004, 06:53 PM
after previewing, you need to scan. if you are scanning into photoshop, photoshop will make four seperate images; just save each image with a different name.

i have not used the software that came with the scanner so if you are using that, i cannot help you. i think it also came with an adobe Elements CD; install that; it's a very rudimentary imaging software; it should run the scanner just fine.
OK it came with the adobe Elements CD but I tried to load it but it needs SN.. Clueless where to get that??

Slowpoke
10-24-2004, 06:54 PM
serial number is probably on the enevelope the cd came in.

Patrick
10-24-2004, 07:51 PM
:party: I finally got it. Thanks Rick!!!!! For taking the time to help me with this. :high5: It was nice of you!! And Also Bill!!!

You saved me a trip to the beer store!!!!!!!! And here is the first pic that scanned. I am on the left and ONLY 6yrs old. Be nice!! Now I get the rest of the 1,000 slides done for Dad for Xmas!! He dont know yet!!! Thanks again friend!!

Patrick

Opps have to resize pic, too big!!!

Slowpoke
10-24-2004, 07:58 PM
glad it worked out ok - you can also scan 35mm negatives using the negatives holder tray; it will also give you excellent results.

since you are scanning lots of slides, may i suggest using the following format to name them....

1965-02-28 patrick mowing lawn.jpg

if you have lots of slides - and they have dates stamped on them, put the year first, them month, then day, then the names of the people in the shot. this way you can sort by date and also using the search function find all the images with patrick or [other people] in them. i've got a couple thousand named in this fashion and it aids in locating things quickly.

to resize for mm.net, change the dpi to 72 (photoshop, under Image Size; Elements, probably the same thing) when you save it at 72 DPI add the words "Low Res" to the end of the file name so you do not overwrite the original.

good luck and have fun!

Patrick
10-24-2004, 08:10 PM
glad it worked out ok - you can also scan 35mm negatives using the negatives holder tray; it will also give you excellent results.

since you are scanning lots of slides, may i suggest using the following format to name them....

1965-02-28 patrick mowing lawn.jpg

if you have lots of slides - and they have dates stamped on them, put the year first, them month, then day, then the names of the people in the shot. this way you can sort by date and also using the search function find all the images with patrick or [other people] in them. i've got a couple thousand named in this fashion and it aids in locating things quickly.

to resize for mm.net, change the dpi to 72 (photoshop, under Image Size; Elements, probably the same thing) when you save it at 72 DPI add the words "Low Res" to the end of the file name so you do not overwrite the original.

good luck and have fun!

Great Idea for saving Pics. I just resized the pic. I just maybe need to PM you later for sum advice later on. Later, Patrick

SouLRioT
10-25-2004, 04:57 AM
I glad you were able to get it working. And I'm sure your father will be happily surprised.

Patrick
10-25-2004, 07:28 AM
I glad you were able to get it working. And I'm sure your father will be happily surprised.

I am sure he will. Thanks again for your help!!!!
:high5: