PDA

View Full Version : Just upgraded to Firefox

FordNut
11-03-2004, 06:00 PM
I knew MSIE was slow, but gosh darnit I just didn't know how slow until I just downloaded Mozilla Firefox.

FiveO
11-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Just started using it last week myself.

Love it so far.

IE was crashing on me over and over.

Eventually I'll do a reinstall of the OS....but I don't have time right now....with SSHS4 coming up :D

Logan
11-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Been using Firefox for months... It's awesome.

Stew
11-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Just started using it myself, works really well.

Slowpoke
11-04-2004, 01:06 PM
I have been using for many months as well. Make sure you download some of the cool extentions avalable for it.

I use about 10 of them daily

bigjon
11-05-2004, 12:13 AM
i just upgraded to it too, i love it! a lot faster. :)

Dave Compson
11-05-2004, 09:12 AM
i just upgraded to it too, i love it! a lot faster. :)

What is it, should i move over to it?

Slowpoke
11-05-2004, 09:34 AM
it's a better browser, faster & more secure. Much easier to navigate with.

www.getfirefox.com

you can add additional functionality by adding extentions.

Dave Compson
11-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks, im downloading it now. Anything that is better than i.e. is a good thing.

Racerx88
11-06-2004, 10:33 AM
I agree with you guys that MSIE is junk. Been using Netscape since I've first got on the net. I see no reason to change now.

Marauder8
11-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Firefox is indeed very fast..............

ap2003
11-07-2004, 03:47 PM
The final release is due this month...

Only problem I have had to date is when you open an Adobe Acrobat file (Using version 6.0) in the browser as opposed to it's own application. This pretty much hangs Firefox everytime... (I have tried this on three different machines with different OS's and hardware.. same result.

I will bet the released version will take of this issue

(I use Firfox 1.7.3)

ap

MarauderMark
11-08-2004, 09:33 AM
The final release is due this month...

Only problem I have had to date is when you open an Adobe Acrobat file (Using version 6.0) in the browser as opposed to it's own application. This pretty much hangs Firefox everytime... (I have tried this on three different machines with different OS's and hardware.. same result.

I will bet the released version will take of this issue

(I use Firfox 1.7.3)

ap

Is this the reason i d/l it it was on my comp for a week and now it's gone?No trace of it .

Petrograde
11-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I'd never heard of it before,.. I downloaded it last night; so far, so good!

LNYTUNS
11-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Mozilla Fire Fox is the BEST!!! I started using it after I had started having trouble with IE. Ha Ha Bill Gates, no more IE for me.

Slowpoke
11-08-2004, 07:06 PM
i did not have the conflict with Acrobat... PDF's load up just fine for me. I do, however own a full version of Acrobat 6 professional; not sure if that has anything to do wth it or not.

ap2003
11-08-2004, 08:10 PM
I use Acrobat full version 5.1 on Win2k - Xeon
I use Acrobat full version 5.1 on WinXP - Pentium
I use Acrobat full version 6.0 on WinXP - Opteron

Three different PCs.. same exact issue... From a "tabbed" page... if I load a PDF into a new tab... the browser hangs...

Don't get me wrong... I REALLY LIKE Firefox... it is the only thing I use... As a work around... I just save my pdfs to a disk and open them directly in Acrobat.

ap

Marauder386
11-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Are there any other problems with it besides what AP is experiencing ? If its as good as y'all are saying, I am gonna do the D/L....

M386

Dr Caleb
11-09-2004, 07:54 AM
As of today, FireFox is no longer in Beta. Version 1.0 is released. Well, not released, it <u>escaped</u>, leaving a bloody path of programmers in it's wake. ;)

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

I've been using Mozilla forever, and believe me, it's always rocked!

ap2003
11-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Keep in mind... even with the silly pre-release issue... I still like it best...

See press release... http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5443931.html
I will download today!

ap

CRUZTAKER
11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
There was an extensive article in todays USA TODAY regarding Firefox. (GET A COPY IF YOU CAN STILL FIND ONE, IN THE MONEY SECTION FRONT PAGE) It has quite a few features, and the beauty part, it is completely invulnerable to adware and malicious spyware.
It blows away IE (INTERNET EXPLORER) apparently.

The article is quite enlightening, and explains how it was started in a grassroots type of way and totally non-profit. Gates and his Microsoft monopoly doesn't have much to say right now, but in the last few weeks their explorer dominence has dropped from an overwelming 96% share, to 92% and still falling. They are shaking in their boots, because unlike the failure of Netscape after being aquired by AOL, Firefox won't roll over and die on it's own.

I am gonna get a free copy as soon as the Mozilla servers can catch a breath from the overwelming hits they are getting from the interested public.

04MEMA
11-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Just d loaded it the other day, seems to work well. Got T-bird too - I'm setting up my hotmail accounts, anyone now what settings are need for Hotmail?

Are there any other great programs that are off the beaten monopoly (Microsoft) path? One's that the average guy might not now about? :D

Jeff

Dr Caleb
11-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Are there any other great programs that are off the beaten monopoly (Microsoft) path? One's that the average guy might not now about? :D

Jeff

Linux. It comes in many flavours; Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, Mandrake. It will do anything that Windows does, and is created with the same philosophy as FireFox: Safe, secure, stable - and FREE.

Anything that Windows does - Office, photo editing, email, web servers, can be done in Linux. Linux has been in production longer than Windows, and to date has only had 1 known virus designed for it.

wchain
01-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Linux. It comes in many flavours; Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, Mandrake. It will do anything that Windows does, and is created with the same philosophy as FireFox: Safe, secure, stable - and FREE.

Anything that Windows does - Office, photo editing, email, web servers, can be done in Linux. Linux has been in production longer than Windows, and to date has only had 1 known virus designed for it.

I just downloaded it. WOW! What a GREAT Program! Now, to clean off the trail of crap IE has left on my PC....And my rims spin faster too!

TechHeavy
01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I knew MSIE was slow, but gosh darnit I just didn't know how slow until I just downloaded Mozilla Firefox.
Welcome to the club! :)

torinodan
01-19-2005, 03:46 PM
much better IE, I have it on the laptop but the wife dosn't want it because she thinks shes not going to learn how to use it.

Heavy351
01-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I started using Firefox the day after I read how the US Department of Homeland Security switched over to it.

Very fast, cleans up after itself, and neat extensions!

Sactown
01-19-2005, 06:38 PM

I know it isn't a popular topic, but MACs running OSX are basically UNIX also. Might be one of the most distributed versions. Haven't used MSIE in over a year...instead have been using Apple's Safari browser. It works pretty good. Firefox is available for OSX also, and is pretty good too, but haven't had a big reason to switch from Safari.

97Snake1668
01-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Wow! This is amazing fast! I like it alot! Good call on using this new browser. Thanks for letting us all know about it.

Semper Fi,
Kris

Donny Carlson
01-19-2005, 11:04 PM
First and foremost, some secure websites don't like the taste of it and give you browser upgrade warnings. My bank's online site, for example, as well as Capital One and some other credit card companies.

Second, the "copy" and "paste" of photos doesn't work like it does in IE6. To hotlink a photo in a post here, I have to drop out of Firefox and use IE6.

Third, other apps (such as Norton Internet Security and Norton Password Manager) don't integrate with Firefox. There is no icon in Firefox to change page settings in NIS. Also, Thunderbird does not integrate with NIS's spam filter, though it does have a decent junk filter of its own.

That said, I still use it a lot, but still need IE6 on occasion.

Dr Caleb
01-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Second, the "copy" and "paste" of photos doesn't work like it does in IE6. To hotlink a photo in a post here, I have to drop out of Firefox and use IE6.

Right click on the image. Select "Copy Image Location". Right click again where you want the link to the image, and select "Paste".

No need to switch to IE. Ever!

blackf0rk
01-20-2005, 11:21 AM
The one downside or upside (depends on how you look at it) is the effects that people use in coding, weather it be javascript or dhtml etc don't always work in Firefox. Most people code their web pages and effects for IE, so when you go to a page in Firefix, you might not be seeing all it has to offer.

I agree though, Firefox rocks for just a straight up browser (aside from all the IE effects).

ap2003
01-20-2005, 07:07 PM
And.. for all you firefox users who are also into "modding" when things just aren't ever fast enough ... here is the marauder supercharger equiv. for firefox speed (careful, this is ONLY for broadband users).

Type "about:config" into the firefox address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxreq uests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

Now, Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxreq uests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once. :burnout:

Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.
:burn:

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

(No, I did not make this up.. it was posted on the net... and I have been using these settings for 3+ months with great results.)

ap

Slowpoke
01-20-2005, 07:47 PM
thanks for the heads up. To learn more about tweaking Firefox, visit this link:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips