PDA

View Full Version : Herniated Disc Update

Ross
11-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Well, I went in yesterday to have the steroid injections in my back. Last Friday I went in to the anesthesiologist who did the injections and had a long talk with him about the injections, risks/benefits, etc. I felt confident about the process after talking to him. Procedure went very smoothly, much quicker and easier than I thought.
The doctor told me not to expect to see any improvement for about a week. So I'm waiting now to see if the medication kicks in.
Went to another orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion on Wednesday. He said definitely get the injections as scheduled, and if they don't work he thinks that this can probably be taken of with arthroscopic surgery. I told him I will come see him if the steroids don't work, but frankly, I hope I will never have to see him again!
Keep praying, and I'll keep you posted.

Haggis
11-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Well, I went in yesterday to have the steroid injections in my back. Last Friday I went in to the anesthesiologist who did the injections and had a long talk with him about the injections, risks/benefits, etc. I felt confident about the process after talking to him. Procedure went very smoothly, much quicker and easier than I thought.
The doctor told me not to expect to see any improvement for about a week. So I'm waiting now to see if the medication kicks in.
Went to another orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion on Wednesday. He said definitely get the injections as scheduled, and if they don't work he thinks that this can probably be taken of with arthroscopic surgery. I told him I will come see him if the steroids don't work, but frankly, I hope I will never have to see him again!

Prayers are there for you Ross. Just remember no mud wrestling this weekend. ;)

jonroe
11-12-2004, 10:56 AM
I've been there, man. I was treated first with non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs for a couple of years, then I had the injections you mention a couple of times. The injections worked for awhile but had no lasting effect. Eventaully, I had to have the herniated disk repaired to relieve the terrible sciatic nerve pain in my left leg. That was in March 1996. It has been FINE ever since. I guess I was lucky the surgery did the job. I hope the injections help you.

Jon

2003 MIB
11-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Great news, Groundpounder!!!! Please keep updateding.

stevengerard
11-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Great, keep the positive 'tude

Slowpoke
11-12-2004, 11:27 AM
i had back surgury about 6 years ago to fix a 'blown disk''

surgeon said it was easy because as soon as he cut into the sack sourrounding the spinal cord all the excess fluid build up pushed the pieces of the disk out the opening he cut. was only 15% degraded so he 'vacuumed' up all the loose stuff, checked around and sewed me back up.

After 18 months of pain EVERY day I was cured and have been since that day. He even videotaped the whole thing for me.

I feel your pain buddy... been there. But if you need to go under the knife, know at least that there are some real success stories out there and I an lucky to be one of them!

Patrick
11-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2003_MM_FYRE49
11-14-2004, 05:49 PM

Ross, I am in the same boat as you are now. I blew out L2, L4 and L5 on October 4th while trying to move a 450 + lb. patient to the ambulance strecher. Plus I also reinjured the umbilical hernia that I got last year. I am going to see a Neurosurgeon but the soonest I can get into see him is on Dec 17th. Unfortunately Neurosurgeons are few and far between here in IL because they have either gone to Iraq, or they have fled the State of IL because of the cost of melpractice insurance.
Last Thursday (the 11th) I had the umbilical hernia repaired and today is the first day that I've actually been able to sit upright since before surgery Thursday morning. As for your herniated disc I'd like to suggest that you see neurosurgeon instead of an orthopedic surgeon. The Ortho's are good for bones but you need a competent Neurosurgeon for the back.
I had to have the steroid injection on November 5th just so the nurses get get me upright on Friday morning following the surgery so I didn't get any blood clots.
All in all I can say that I have never been in this much pain before and I can't wait until everything is fixed. Unfortunately this is a slow healing process, and I don't anticipate getting back to work anytime soon.
Ross, keep an eye on your progress. If you start dragging a foot, it will need immediate attention. This is called a foot drop and can have lasting effects if not taken care of right away. PM me if you have any questions.

Slowpoke
11-14-2004, 06:23 PM
when I had injections, the resulted relief, although minor, was realized after one day. Too bad it only knocked off about 30% of the pain. After 5 weeks there was no benefit to the injections. I had the injection 3 times over the course of about 5 months.

After 5 months of this, I asked my neurosurgeon.. "When do you know it's time to go in for the real deal surgery, you know, cut me open, open up my spinal cord and fix it?"

His answer was simple, "Well Mr. Poke, we do this in two cases: 1] when there is nerve damage [tingling in the extremeties and loss of sensation] or 2] When the patient is sick and tired of the constant pain and BEGS me to do it.

I didn't have the nerve damage, but years of pain prompted my reply which was "How fast can you schedule me in!?"

Slowpoke
11-14-2004, 06:29 PM
anyone needing a good neurosurgeon in Chicago, PM me... my guy is about 60 years old, never been sued [amazing for a neurosurgeon], a lawyer and also a rabbi. He donates one month a year to work for free in Israel on soldiers and was so confident in his abilities, he videotaped the procedure for me using my tape which he handed to my wife as soon as the procedure was over.

CRUZTAKER
11-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Good to hear from you Ross. I hope the injections alleviate some of the pain. As far as arthroscopy, it's a scary decision on the spine, but these doctors can work wonders these days.

Good luck man.

TAF
11-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Glad to hear this Ross as you have taken a place (and will continue) on my morning List. Take care, and thanks for the update!

NAVCHAP
11-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Folks, praying for all the injured, hoping that all works out for you. Please keep us informed about your progress. -kjs-

Ross
11-15-2004, 08:04 AM
It's amazing how many people have had so many similar injuries. I guess we can truthfully say to each other, "I feel your pain."

merc406
11-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Backs....can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...... Hope all will do better sooner than later. :beer: