PDA

View Full Version : MM Cameo on Monster Garage

mpearce
11-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Hey everyone...

I don't know if all of you know this already, but this was a new one for me. This evening I'm laying around the house watching TV (a big rarity for me, honestly) and I happen upon an episode of Monster Garage. On todays episode they were putting together a Honey Bee for some drifting action once it was finished. Anyway...the main man of Monster Garage "Jesse" needs to leave the shop for a few hours to go get his broken foot checked out by his doctor. Well they show him pulling out of the parking lot, but not just pulling out...more like burning out...in a Black Mercury Marauder!!! (I assume it was his...I hope!!) Did anyone else see this?!? I thought this was cool as hell! I mean...that guy can fabricate, and custom make anything he wants...but it appears he has a Black MM for a daily driver?! Pretty cool in my book!

You know...regardless of roots vs centrifugal, cast vs forged, dyno numbers, blue smoke on start up, crappy wiper blades, squeaky springs....or whatever it is we all seem to write, argue, love about our MM's, there's one thing that we ALL agree on here...

THIS CAR FREAKIN RULES!!

As you were...

-Mat

Bigdogjim
11-15-2004, 08:45 PM
You know...regardless of roots vs centrifugal, cast vs forged, dyno numbers, blue smoke on start up, crappy wiper blades, squeaky springs....or whatever it is we all seem to write, argue, love about our MM's, there's one thing that we ALL agree on here...THIS CAR FREAKIN RULES!! As you were...
-Mat

Great tag line..........I love it:) :burnout: :P

MM03MOK
11-15-2004, 08:51 PM
For you nightowls, it's on again at Midnight EST tonight. Discovery Channel.

Episode 50: Honey Bee Drift Car
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/episode/season3/episode_50.html
<!-- font toggle -->

jgc61sr2002
11-15-2004, 08:55 PM
For you nightowls, it's on again at Midnight EST tonight. Discovery Channel.

Episode 50: Honey Bee Drift Car
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/episode/season3/episode_50.html
<!-- font toggle -->

Thanks Mary.

CRUZTAKER
11-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Yup, sure enough...it's on again tonight. I have nothing better to do, I think I'll tape it.

Anyone know how to put VHS onto DVD? I mean just that tibit in question.

bigslim
11-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Steve Babcock told us earlier this year that Ford sent Jesse the S-55 Marauder. That was the early pre-production MM with a blown two-valve engine. He said that Jesse was thinking of buying a MM and it would be good publicity for Mercury. That was probably the car he was driving. He had the car for a couple of weeks.

jgc61sr2002
11-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Yup, sure enough...it's on again tonight. I have nothing better to do, I think I'll tape it.

Barry - That would be great. Could you post it. Thanks

JACook
11-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Anyone else catch the MM sighting on tonight's Monster Garage?
It was a brief glimpse, but Jesse was smokin' the hides...

Patrick
11-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Barry - That would be great. Could you post it. Thanks

Please if ya can!!!!

CRUZTAKER
11-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Watched it twice off tape and no Marauder....wha-chu smokin Matt?:bandit:

CRUZTAKER
11-16-2004, 12:58 AM
Errrr:mad2:

Was it the 'drifting episode?

JACook
11-16-2004, 01:20 AM
Yep, that's the one.

martyo
11-16-2004, 05:02 AM

I saw it and it was there......This is no valve stem thread Barry!! :P

MN6
11-16-2004, 06:00 AM
Yep, saw it, I had to take a double-take. It was a quick shot, too bad they didn't make the shot a little longer.

MM03MOK
11-16-2004, 06:19 AM
Yep, saw it too. I checked the clock - 30 minutes past the hour. Day 4 I believe.

mpearce
11-16-2004, 07:15 AM
I watched it the second time through (just to make sure) and saw the Marauder again! What you smokin Barry?!? :fishslap:

Or is it those meds from your shoulder surgery? :pill:

Get well soon!

-Mat

RF Overlord
11-16-2004, 07:16 AM
That was probably the car he was driving. He had the car for a couple of weeks.I thought this episode was a lot newer than that...maybe he's actually bought one?

We need someone from that area to track Jesse down and get the 411 on this...even if he's too busy to post, he should at least join...hey, we're all members of HIS fan club...he should be a member of ours!

mpearce
11-16-2004, 07:23 AM
I thought this episode was a lot newer than that...maybe he's actually bought one?

We need someone from that area to track Jesse down and get the 411 on this...even if he's too busy to post, he should at least join...hey, we're all members of HIS fan club...he should be a member of ours!
NBC Shooter is out that way...isn't he? Maybe he can track Jesse down and do an interview? Slim chance probably, but possible!

-Mat

RF Overlord
11-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Maybe he can track Jesse down and do an interview?

THAT would be the cat's ass...even a still pic, with Jesse and 'Shooter and their MMs...then we could all Photo-Shop it and put our own faces instead of 'Shooter's! :woohoo:

klmore
11-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Yep, saw it, I had to take a double-take. It was a quick shot, too bad they didn't make the shot a little longer.
It was a short shot, but I saw it too.:burnout:

N40GL
11-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Ya' know, Steve Babcock told me that Ford is giving the S55 to Jesse for some project to be shown on Monster Garage (with the stipulation in the contract that he can't carve up the car and turn it into a pancake flipper or something). Ford was going to put the original S55 engine back in it before it went out. It's quite likely that this is that car, for an upcoming episode.

BTW, I saw that episode - was it when Jesse went out in the parking lot right after they got the engine running?

JACook
11-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Ya' know, Steve Babcock told me that Ford is giving the S55 to Jesse for some project to be shown on Monster Garage (with the stipulation in the contract that he can't carve up the car and turn it into a pancake flipper or something). Ford was going to put the original S55 engine back in it before it went out. It's quite likely that this is that car, for an upcoming episode.
Hmm...
Well, Jesse is s'posed to be on the Tonight Show tonight.
Any chance NBCShooter could ask him?

MM03MOK
11-16-2004, 09:52 AM
I've merged the two concurrent Jesse MM threads.

TechHeavy
11-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Barry, let me know if you need help transferring from VHS to DVD. I have all the equipment here...
I know our web administrators may be too busy if asked... so let me know. :)

CRUZTAKER
11-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Alright...at 30 minutes into the episode there is a shot on day 4 start as they walk into the garage. In the background I see a black something....too hard to tell.

I am still searching for this elusive 'pulling out of the lot' shot.

MM03MOK
11-16-2004, 12:28 PM
You're almost there, Barry. Just a little bit further. Car takes off from right to left. Very brief. Just before that, Jesse walks on crutches towards the left still inside the garage. If you see the shot of Jesse's scar at the doctor's, you've gone too far.
Alright...at 30 minutes into the episode there is a shot on day 4 start as they walk into the garage. In the background I see a black something....too hard to tell.

I am still searching for this elusive 'pulling out of the lot' shot.

CRUZTAKER
11-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Alright, I've had it! I watched it again for like sixth time. The only scene where Jesse leaves....there is actually two, he is in the primer grey datsun he just bought.

Hey Matt, how about stopping over this week sometime and picking up this tape? Then you can show me what you saw. If indeed it is there, I found a way to grab the image off tape and save it.

Haggis
11-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Alright, I've had it! I watched it again for like sixth time. The only scene where Jesse leaves....there is actually two, he is in the primer grey datsun he just bought.Hey Matt, how about stopping over this week sometime and picking up this tape? Then you can show me what you saw. If indeed it is there, I found a way to grab the image off tape and save it.

Maybe you watched the Ricer version. :rofl:

mpearce
11-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Maybe you watched the Ricer version. :rofl:
Hey Haggis...I think Barrys had way too much rice for one day!! I think he needs another fishslap!

Hey Barry.... :fishslap:

Barry...If you don't have the "Red Death" I might stop by tomorrow to show you. If you're still all messed up...I might wait till later....

-Mat

TAF
11-16-2004, 01:17 PM
I saw it...and although brief...it makes you feel even more cool driving a Marauder, don't it?

CRUZTAKER
11-16-2004, 01:43 PM
I'll look again later now that we narrowed it down a bit. Gage has the tv tied up...I bought him the Star Wars trilogy and he is glued!

Matt, none of us are (virus) sick any longer, just me roughing it. :P

prchrman
11-16-2004, 03:09 PM
saw it last night...Jesse is just trying to be as cool as the MM net members...he might make it if he wheels around in the MM for awhile...we bad, we cool, MMs rule...willie

mpearce
11-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Gage has the tv tied up...I bought him the Star Wars trilogy and he is glued!
Oohhh...Star Wars...tell Gage to save me a spot...cause I'm bringing the popcorn if that's what's gonna be on!

Hey Barry...one more for good measure :fishslap:

-Mat

Donny Carlson
11-16-2004, 06:16 PM
I TIVO'd the show, so I can see a high quality still and step through the frames :)

The car that JJ walks by in the "Monster Garage" us a black VC sport with gold colored custom wheels. The next shot shows him leaving the parting lot in an MM with chrome custom wheels (looks like 20's). This car does not look like the S55 -- it lacks the painted tail lights and back up lights. I speculate that he bought (or was given) a Marauder of his own, or this is a Marauder that's slated for a future Monster Garage episode.

Regarding this "drift car" Honey Bee episode.... boy, did Nissan take it in the shorts! Look at the closing of the episode... Nissan donated the stock Honey Bee AND the new 2004 350Z, which they proceeded to destroy just to use the engine and transaxle. $35,000 worth of car trashed. Seems like Nissan would have been ahead if they'd just had donated a crate 350Z engine and transaxle.

Imagine if somebody ripped up an MM just to get the engine, tranny, and front suspension off it. I can hear 350Z enthusiasts wailing.

Joe Walsh
11-16-2004, 09:13 PM
I TIVO'd the show, so I can see a high quality still and step through the frames :)

The car that JJ walks by in the "Monster Garage" us a black VC sport with gold colored custom wheels. The next shot shows him leaving the parting lot in an MM with chrome custom wheels (looks like 20's). This car does not look like the S55 -- it lacks the painted tail lights and back up lights. I speculate that he bought (or was given) a Marauder of his own, or this is a Marauder that's slated for a future Monster Garage episode.

Regarding this "drift car" Honey Bee episode.... boy, did Nissan take it in the shorts! Look at the closing of the episode... Nissan donated the stock Honey Bee AND the new 2004 350Z, which they proceeded to destroy just to use the engine and transaxle. $35,000 worth of car trashed. Seems like Nissan would have been ahead if they'd just had donated a crate 350Z engine and transaxle.

Imagine if somebody ripped up an MM just to get the engine, tranny, and front suspension off it. I can hear 350Z enthusiasts wailing.

Yeah...I couldn't believe that they TRASHED a new 350Z!!
And I mean TRASHED! They ripped, cut, unbolted and threw everything on the floor as they stripped that Z...all for the motor and tranny.

Monster Garage is getting a little ridiculous...I think that they are running out of ideas.
What's next....Destroy a 'donor' Ford GT to make a Le Mans Pinto????

JACook
11-16-2004, 11:05 PM
I've merged the two concurrent Jesse MM threads.
Ah. Wondered what had happened.
It was weird. Kinda like if you came home from work one day, but someone else had moved into
yer house. Some familiar things remain, but...

JACook
11-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah...I couldn't believe that they TRASHED a new 350Z!!
And I mean TRASHED! They ripped, cut, unbolted and threw everything on the floor as they stripped that Z...all for the motor and tranny.

Well, maybe I shouldn't admit this here, but I'm also tied into the old Datsun scene (see my sig).
Even met Mario once (no, he's not THAT much of a clown in person, and yes, he's a _great_ fabricator).
Anyway, that 350Z was what's known as a "dollar car", that could never be registered for road use.
It was slated to be crushed anyway, so no real harm done, unless you are into preserving B210s...

teamrope
11-16-2004, 11:37 PM
That's what I get for trying to toll a belt while I listen to TV. I MISSED IT!

Barry, buddy, you gotta post the pic once you find it and capture it.

Jerry Barnes
11-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Steve babcock asked if we would be willing to send one of our Marauders for Jesse. We volunteered #2 and waited to hear when it was going to happen. Everyone was afraid that Jesse might trash the car by the time it was returned. They also gave him a Ford F450 truck to do something with.

Anyway, there was a lot of discussion about it a couple of months ago. Glad to see Jesse driving a cool car for a change!

See Ya!

Jerry

N40GL
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM

I seriously doubt it. Even Nissan ain't that dumb. Can you say "Florida?" Can you say "flood damaged?"

When I was active in San Francisco Region SCCA, we got a bunch of 'new' 300Z pace cars (including convertibles) that were written off during the floods in that timeframe. I thought it was odd that they still had VIN numbers, since I thought they were supposed to pry those off when a car was flood-totalled. They all looked pretty good, although the rear window on the convertible's top was hazy. You could never tell they were in a flood.

At least the engine gets a good home. Beats the crusher.

valkyrie
11-18-2004, 07:37 AM
I saw it...and although brief...it makes you feel even more cool driving a Marauder, don't it?

Why? What makes Jesse anymore cooler that the folks on this site? :beatnik: :beatnik: